236 Comments
Posted by lmenzol
@billnyethesciencepie said:
Its because there usually 2 goals a game through the entire 3 hours  Its boring as FUCK
yep
Posted by sarge1445

@AchillesReturn said:

One major difference between soccer and football is the prevalence of the amateur version. College Football is essentially a unique phenomenon compared to other sports.

the lack of Nevadas win over boise last season makes this video less awesome

Posted by Osaladin

It's pretty arrogant to think that the rest of the world cares whether Americans like soccer or not.

Posted by ShadowConqueror

Soccer is boring.
Posted by Toms115
@Daiphyer: 14 umad street
Posted by Daiphyer
@Toms115: No, it translates to: I am educated, and mature. While you are uneducated, immature, and act like a 9 year old. Actually, I've seen 9 year olds with more sense than you. now gimmie ur adress ill come kik ur ass
Posted by Toms115
@Daiphyer said:
@Toms115 said:
@jrodrz said:
@Toms115 said:
football is for pussies i play baseball like a real man
You like sports where you just stand around to avoid sweating, like a sissy girl? Now I know why you like it so much ;)
fuck you it's the best sport ever invented i'd kick your ass tell me where you live
I live in punctuation, sentence organization, and correct grammar department. Care to visit me?
loosely translates to: i type like i'm writing an essay because my parents neglected me
Posted by JasonR86
@NTM said:
I think when it comes to it becoming more popular, the U.S. has a problem with it because sorry, but Third World countries brought it over, and we just don't like things un-Americanized. It's kind of like Americans going somewhere and taking over... with sports! It really always comes down to the history of America and everyone (even if just subconsciously) wanting to live up to the men and women that made our country great, and as time goes by, we want to change in our way, not by others interests and opinions. Americans like their independence as individuals, and a nation as a whole. By the way, "we" don't hate it. OK, I was kind of just talking BS, but it sounded plausible somewhere in my head.
You really believe that?  You really think that that belief is so engrained in every single American sports fan that that is why they don't enjoy watching soccer?  

Because I really don't.  That sounds crazy to me.  As a sports fan and an American that shit sounds crazy.
Posted by valrog
@CookieMonster said:
@Adamsons said:
@shinigami420 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@EuanDewar said:

Its because there usually 2 goals a game through the entire 3 hours Its boring as FUCK

3 hours? What?

Posted by Daiphyer
@Toms115 said:
@jrodrz said:
@Toms115 said:
You like sports where you just stand around to avoid sweating, like a sissy girl? Now I know why you like it so much ;)
fuck you it's the best sport ever invented i'd kick your ass tell me where you live
I live in punctuation, sentence organization, and correct grammar department. Care to visit me?
Posted by NTM

I think when it comes to it becoming more popular, the U.S. has a problem with it because sorry, but Third World countries brought it over, and we just don't like things un-Americanized. It's kind of like Americans going somewhere and taking over... with sports! It really always comes down to the history of America and everyone (even if just subconsciously) wanting to live up to the men and women that made our country great, and as time goes by, we want to change in our way, not by others interests and opinions. Americans like their independence as individuals, and a nation as a whole. By the way, "we" don't hate it. OK, I was kind of just talking BS, but it sounded plausible somewhere in my head.

Posted by SirPsychoSexy
To everyone quoting me:  I know a soccer games 90 minutes  but with the whiniest players ive ever seen in a sport, it extends the length to at least twice that
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, soccer games rarely have more than a few minutes of extra time. I can see how some people may find soccer boring, but I think that can be said for most sports if you do not know what is going on. Soccer is similair to chess, there is alot of setting up the pieces to score a goal, much more strategy then you might think. Also soccer has something many sports don't which is very limited downtime (none really). In Football you might run a  play for 5sec stop and wait for another 25 sec until the next play, not to mention time outs and switching in offense/defense/special teams, or in basketball where there is countless fouls and too many timeouts, soccer pretty much does not stop. So I can also see the argument for American sports being boring compared to soccer.  I also see some people say its boring because it is low scoring, I personally think that makes it more tense and exciting, making each goal that much of a bigger deal and achievement.

But regardless I am a fan of most sports, just take some time to learn about soccer and you may appreciate it more and find it interesting and exciting to watch. I was not a big fan of soccer until recently and it really is a great game and continuing to grow in the US
Posted by Commando

Soccer sucks. American football(real football) is better.

Posted by mikethekilla

I consider soccer a real sport, I just not a huge fan of it. I'm not really a fan of any sport that doesn't revolve around some form of combat.

Posted by PeasantAbuse

I don't like watching pussies run (actually most of their time is spent slowly jogging or not moving at all, despite what soccer fans say) around not scoring.  Soccer is boring as fuck. 
Edited by RsistncE

Americans also voted in George W. Bush. 

TWICE. 

I really am not concerned at all what Americans think about anything at this point in time. 

Besides, Futbol is the most pure sport on the planet and the world agrees with me. 

EDIT: Oh dear GOD. I just saw some of the OP's bio...and I also managed to read some. It was bad. Very bad.

Posted by Teeknuts

To be honest I think that the the whole basis of this thread is invalid. If soccer isn't considered a "real" (whatever that means) sport, why is it that the big European teams consistently have preseason tours in America? Also along those lines, why is it that the most amount of money spent for the 2010 World Cup rights was by ESPN for the US rights? Soccer is big here. Not as big as some sports, but the numbers are there.

Posted by JasonR86
@Revenant86 said:
 it's because it is nowhere near as violent, and The aeropostale wearing, Angsty white suburban teenagers perfer reckless violence over a coordinated sport. why do you think Call of Duty is so popular?
Pull your head out of your ass dude, Call of Duty sells just as much where soccer is popular as it does in America.  Plus, the 'aeropostale wearing, Angsty white suburban teenagers' hardly make up the Americans who follow sports regularly.
Posted by SSValis

well this is a nice and friendly thread

Posted by MjHealy

One thing that annoys me about criticisms of football is how people talk about diving and vuvuzelas.

Vuvuzelas are gone. Sure they were around for South African World Cup but they shall be pretty much gone by Brazil in 2014 and sure as shit won't be heard in Russia 2018. Not ever single challenge in football is a dive either. Don't get me wrong; diving and cheating are some of the worst aspects of the sport but it's not like every time someone is tackled they then fall to the ground and roll around for twenty minutes. Anyone saying that clearly doesn't watch much football. I mean, it's hardly dropkicks to the chest left, right and centre but it isn't ballet either. Certainly older football and football in lower leagues is where you won't see any diving.

Posted by mcwingstar

In retrospect, my opinion was kind of unrelated to the question.

USA doesn't accept soccer because it's seen as European and Latino, and america can't support what isn't "American".

But I probably think this because (see map from shinigami420 on the first page) we tend to naturally generalize you all to a bunch of redneck texans.

Posted by mcwingstar

As a guy who doesn't follow sports regularly, but watches a scattered amount of everything i'll say this: Both American Football and Soccer are superior to the dumb, thuggish rugby and the arduous cricket we play here in Australia.

With regards to american sports, baseball seems like a sexed-up version of cricket, but that doesn't say much because cricket is incredibly boring. Basketball has points scored way too often to really get tension in it regularly, so makes it boring to watch for me as well.

When it comes down to soccer vs. american football (the two sports I watch the most), I think talent-wise soccer leads (way more technical skills for every single player, rather than just a select few of the players on the field). American football is way more tactically interesting.

Also, I think the low scores in soccer are a two-edged sword. They mean most games are CRAZY slow, but the high importance to each goal makes it many times more satisfying when your team does score. It's also this sort of crazy tension that probably leads to the more violent fan culture. Or just the english people.

Posted by Toms115
@jrodrz said:
@Toms115 said:
Posted by TwoOneFive

OMG DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE WORD MINI MEANS?!

Posted by TwoOneFive

nah soccer's growing a lot. but having the World Cup in Qatar was fucking retarded.  

Just as Soccer is gaining momentum in the most potentially profitable region, they go and put it somewhere nobody ever heard of that already loves the sport... 

Posted by Positrark

@AchillesReturn: I would argue that the American system of linking education and sports is the unique thing. I mean it's the same with NCAA.

Posted by Revenant86

it's because it is nowhere near as violent, and The aeropostale wearing, Angsty white suburban teenagers perfer reckless violence over a coordinated sport.
why do you think Call of Duty is so popular?

Posted by Daiphyer

I really liked Football as a kid, but the more I grew, the more I started to get bored of it. Nowadays I can't even finish a single match, no matter what the stake is. In my opinion, In-doors Football, or Futsal is much much more exciting to watch AND play. It's just a shame that there is not enough coverage of it, and it doesn't get the same fund and advertisement as football.  
Futsal is about the only sport I can watch entirely. Everything else bores the shit out of me. 

Posted by Chirag4
@Hardgamer said:
@Buck_Sexington said:

Football cannot be accepted in the US because you're shit it at it

Mabie Yes. Mabie Not. It depends on how suck-able we are at it.
Dude seriously, what does this even mean?
Posted by JJWeatherman

I'm an American and I consider soccer to be a real sport. I just don't like it very much.

I actually went to a soccer game just a couple of weeks ago. It was the weirdest thing. The crowd had so many rituals that seemed crazy, and they all chanted and sang songs the whole game. Weirdest thing I'd ever seen. It was somewhat entertaining, but I prefer basketball.

Posted by jrodrz
@Toms115 said:
Posted by AchillesReturn

One major difference between soccer and football is the prevalence of the amateur version. College Football is essentially a unique phenomenon compared to other sports. 

Edited by triclops41

Football is more popular than futball in the US because the US inherently prefers contact sports.  That is not to say that the US loves all contact sports, but even contact sports in the US that are not the big three are pretty well represented.  For how little natural snow our country has, we have a decent amount of people playing and watching hockey.  And there are rugby leagues for amateurs and pros. 

And the big 3, baseball, football, and basketball, all have moments where contact is permitted and encouraged.  (unfortunately, the nba is moving away from that, but i digress).  baseball has the least contact, but you can still slam into a catcher when running towards home base, and the ball itself hits players often enough with a lot of force. 

Football, because of the gear, size, and speed of the athletes, has the most violent contact outside of MMA (which is also very big and growing in the US), and the way most NFL athletes showcase their athletic prowess is through that contact.  in futball, ones prowess is shown through other things like skill with the ball. 

But really this whole thread is based on a misconception.  The US is very diverse in the sports it supports.  Many countries have fewer, but more dominant sports.  Major League Baseball is the biggest, but followed closely by the National Football League which is followed closely by the National Basketball Association.  And dozens of other sports have several leagues that are successful in terms of participants as well as revenue. 
Some of you mock NASCAR fans but that is just an example of how diverse it is here.  That futball is not a dominant monolith in the US is a good thing.

Posted by CrimsonAvenger
Well I can say one thing..Nice use of plagiarism. Other than that I'll say Soccer isn't as entertaining to us Americans as it is to other countries so that's why I think it is.
Posted by arca

@GreggD said:

@monte said:

@FreakAche said:
Yikes! Click on HardGamer's minibio!
Holy Shit...

Seriously, wtf did I just witness?

What the chirst. It's like an essay!

Posted by skinnyman
@Binman88: I made a bunch of comparisons between the two sports, none of which you were able to address because you don't know anything about "American football." Since reading comprehension seems to be rather difficult for you, let me condense my statement: "American football" has more scoring, requires more unique player specializations, and requires more playcalling strategy than soccer. Can you refute any of those points? No, not only because they are all true, but because you are clueless with respect to "American football." Until that changes you are talking out of your ass.
Posted by vidiot
*Looks at Seattle Sounders T-Shirt*
*Looks at thread*

Alright. Cool, I guess.
Edited by JCTango

Its because there usually 2 goals a game through the entire 3 hours  Its boring as FUCK

There's a lot more to the game than how many goals are scored.   
The skill involved in executing crosses, lobs, building up excellent chance plays, and dribbling past your mark - that's where most of the game's heart lies, at least in my opinion.

That said though, I see where you're coming from.  I used to think that way as well till I started playing some football video games (heh, I know.. actually nba2k11 did the same for me, or at least heightened my love of basketball moreso than before).

PS:  You can sorta argue that same point about low scoring games being the low point of the sport by comparing it to some game tallies at the end of hockey games.

@McBEEF said:
Football or 'soccer' i find is reeeally boring to watch but fun to play with your mates.   Rugby is the best sport ever. American Football is just so damn slow.
Yeah, I always was curious about Rugby.. it looks pretty damn intense.  I don't get to watch it as much as I'd like over here though :/.
Posted by Binman88
@skinnyman said:
@Binman88 said:
Before you talk or post about football again, you'll want to familiarise yourself with and appreciate all variations of the roles and positions on the pitch. 
I really won't. Everything I have ever learned about sports came from watching or playing them. You are the second person here to suggest that an understanding of soccer's appeal requires "heavy reading." If that's the case, it is the only sport I have ever seen that requires this, and I'm still not interested.
I suggested you read up on the sport because you seemed to be having trouble grasping the concepts simply by viewing. I'm not asking you to be interested, I'm asking you not to make incorrect claims about a sport you know little about! 

@skinnyman said:   

You sure sound concerned. See, what's funny about this is I never represented my views as anything other than the opinions of an NFL football fan who has watched and played soccer, and why I prefer one over the other, yet you still managed to get yourself all butthurt. I would be very interested to hear a similar but opposite viewpoint from someone who is an avid fan of soccer, but has at least seen or played American football, as to why they prefer soccer. All the "soccer defenders" seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of other sports. You make a big point of calling me ignorant and stupid, when in fact you are the one coming from the ignorant position of only having played or watched ONE of the two sports being discussed.

Yep, I sound concerned about the incorrect points you made about football (soccer)! I don't care if you like the sport or not. Do you see the difference? I'll quote what I said just to clear that minor point up.

If you don't like football, that's great! It's not my concern.

"It's" refers to the idea of you not liking football, which is not my concern. You see? Context. :D With hundreds of millions of fans across the world, football doesn't live or die by your interest in it, lol.

I admit I don't know much about American sports, but then again I'm not making any criticisms of any American sports, because I'm not in a position to do so. That doesn't mean I can't correct your incorrect and ignorant statements about football (soccer). I'm actually quite astonished that you're confused by that.

As for other sports, well, Rugby, Golf and Tennis would be the next big ones for me, and I'm somewhat interested in Ireland's Gaelic games and Aussie Rules. I'm also a big Formula One fan, and was a huge fan of Rallying growing up. So yeah, "no knowledge whatsoever of other sports" doesn't apply to me. There are other sports outside of America, in case you didn't know!
Posted by skinnyman
@Binman88 said:
Before you talk or post about football again, you'll want to familiarise yourself with and appreciate all variations of the roles and positions on the pitch. 
I really won't. Everything I have ever learned about sports came from watching or playing them. You are the second person here to suggest that an understanding of soccer's appeal requires "heavy reading." If that's the case, it is the only sport I have ever seen that requires this, and I'm still not interested.

@Binman88 said:
If you don't like football, that's great! It's not my concern. I couldn't care less (like the rest of the world) about American Football, Baseball or Basketball. I just find it weird that you'd write such a long post of nonsense about a sport you know nothing about. You certainly won't find me criticising any of the American sports I mentioned, because I frankly don't know enough about them to do so! They just hold no interest for me!
You sure sound concerned. See, what's funny about this is I never represented my views as anything other than the opinions of an NFL football fan who has watched and played soccer, and why I prefer one over the other, yet you still managed to get yourself all butthurt. I would be very interested to hear a similar but opposite viewpoint from someone who is an avid fan of soccer, but has at least seen or played American football, as to why they prefer soccer. All the "soccer defenders" seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of other sports. You make a big point of calling me ignorant and stupid, when in fact you are the one coming from the ignorant position of only having played or watched ONE of the two sports being discussed.
Posted by GreggD

@monte said:

@FreakAche said:
Yikes! Click on HardGamer's minibio!
Holy Shit...

Seriously, wtf did I just witness?

Posted by ryanwho
@NobodyHIFI said:
 @PenguinDust said:
Americans are only interested in sports we invented.  Baseball, basketball, American football.  End story.
Baseball was invented in Great Britain and Basketball was invented by a Canadian professor.  End Story.
So I guess the question is actually what the fuck is up Britian's ass that they're too good for baseball and who shit in Canada's oatmeal that they're too good for basketball. Thanks for clarifying the real problem.
Posted by JTB123

I haven't really got anything to add that hasn't been said already but this thread is great for so many reasons :)

Posted by Binman88
@GrilledCheez01 said:

@Binman88: I was simply defending my sport. Also, nationalism is fucking retarded no matter how you swing it.

Well, that says it all doesn't it! Like I said, you wouldn't understand.
Posted by HarlequinRiot
@TotalEklypse: Isn't that the big problem with basketball? That defense is being negated by overly strict rules? 
Posted by NobodyHIFI
 @PenguinDust said:
Americans are only interested in sports we invented.  Baseball, basketball, American football.  End story.
Baseball was invented in Great Britain and Basketball was invented by a Canadian professor.  End Story.
Edited by Grilledcheez

@Binman88: I was simply defending my sport. Also, nationalism is fucking retarded no matter how you swing it.

Also, didn't mean to sound like a dick...all in good fun!

Posted by mikey87144

I'm American and I love the futbol. It's a great game and also very exciting.

Posted by NellyK

It's fairly accurate to say we Americans only follow sports we invented, but I'll go one further. Like other countries, we care about anything we WIN at. In 1980, America cared about hockey because of the Miracle on Ice. Sadly, that's the last time we took the gold. We cared about soccer for a nanosecond when we won the women's World Cup and it's safe to say America would be soccer-crazed if the men's soccer team ever won the World Cup, if only for a few weeks.

Posted by Crono