62 Comments
  • 62 results
Posted by CaptainCody

You know you're cool when your name sounds like a skateboard trick.

Posted by HarlequinRiot
@spilledmilkfactory said:

This is starting to look really great. Can't wait to play it. The fact that he mentions telling a story through mechanics is what really excites me, because that's what makes gaming so unique, and I feel that if more developers approached storytelling this way, the products that the industry produces could be that much more powerful

I completely agree. This is is one of the most difficult aspects of games to capitalize on but it's the most rewarding. I understand why games tend towards more traditional story telling means (cutscenes, etc), but I wish more people would experiment with this style of game.
Posted by FesteringNeon

Dude, it's Mr. Brainwash (Thierry Guetta)

Posted by abdo

Caballero is pretty cool and smart. I love that he cites Fumito Ueda/Ico as an inspiration, and I wish him the best. Can't wait for the game to come out.

Posted by Philzpilz

Ok, I'm pretty interested in seeing this now...

Posted by Cozmicaztaway

Great article, and this game seems really interesting.

Posted by FunExplosions
@Cerafin: I'd have to assume so. Funny, I took 4 years of Spanish and it took your comment to make me realize that. 
Posted by SonKite

Great read, Alex. Thank you
Posted by spilledmilkfactory

This is starting to look really great. Can't wait to play it. The fact that he mentions telling a story through mechanics is what really excites me, because that's what makes gaming so unique, and I feel that if more developers approached storytelling this way, the products that the industry produces could be that much more powerful

Posted by Cerafin
I wonder if the game's tittle is intentional ? "Papo & Yo" is very similar to Papa y Yo which is spanish for Dad and Me. 
Posted by Gizmo

So this is an 'Art-Game'? 

I'll certainly be picking this up, the curious art student that I am.

Posted by Xpgamer7

I really liked the article. I knew about the subject matter behind it but reading into it even more, I became thoroughly engrossed.

Posted by MmaFanQc

the game look awesome!

Posted by beard_of_zeus

Great interview/article, Alex! Really looking forward to this game. As someone who went through a lot of awful family shit like this when I was younger, I find Callabero's situation very relatable. It's great to see him use a personal experience like that as inspiration for a game; I hope that translates into a game that is more of an emotional, moving experience while also being enjoyable to play.

Posted by Krystal_Sackful

@Agent47: Zeno Clash was South American.

Posted by mrmarkrobson

Its great that people are looking to new spaces for inspiration...and its great that people realize that they can have a project that doesnt necessarily reach the widest possible audience

Posted by Agent47

It's pretty cool to see a South American developer for once I hope he goes on to do more great things in the future.

Posted by DrDarkStryfe

This was a wonderful interview with a man that is not afraid to bare all.

Posted by NorseDudeTR

You know, I really have been enjoying Alex' articles, and he was great on the E3 podcasts too!

If Patrick is the influence, great, if he just kicked his stuff into gear all by himself, great! I just know really like reading his stuff now .

Posted by MisterMouse

I feel like this emotional connection in the video game can really elevate this to another level, but unfortunately it all comes down to how the game plays...

Posted by m2cks

Really interesting article. I found myself nodding along and muttering agreement when Caballero stated "When I was a kid and going through difficult times, games actually saved me. It was the only space where I could be in control and... experience safety, and predictability in a way. Everything outside was crazy." How true. Indeed, I am now more intrigued than before about his game; looks like I'm gonna fire up my PS3 once more when it hits.

Posted by rndmtask

Great article, Alex. I hope Papo y Yo is a great success.

Posted by DonPixel

Nice - Cool article, I hope the industry keep evolving in stuff like this...

Posted by Subjugation

Even a developer that has shooter fatigue. How telling.

Posted by Gregomasta

I can't wait to see this game.

Posted by TheHT

God damn. This E3 didn't have many exciting reveals or anything, but some very interesting conversations sure did come out of it. Sounds genuinely intriguing.

Posted by DavoTron

Giant Bomb keep on bringing it with the articles.

Posted by Jeust
@Underachiever007 said:
Really cool article, Alex.
Yeah! Great piece.
Posted by patrickklepek

@craigbo180 said:

More of this, I'm sure there are many indie developers working on interesting projects because they are not the cut and dry boring shooters that saturate the market. I mean Alex Neuse, Jonathan Blow, Edmund Mcmillien and Goichi Suda always give really interesting interviews. Great article Alex, I really do hope we see more in this format in the future.

You'll see more. Hint: The Killer.

Staff
Posted by Tikicobra

I want to buy this. And then I want to buy it again.

Posted by Little_Socrates

I no longer need to read anything about this game, as I'll be buying it when it launches. Really hope this turns out as well as it looks like it will; on top of the story and metaphor, the art style is GORGEOUS in this game!

Posted by dougmansion

Great article! I love what Caballero is trying to do here, and it feels like relatively new territory for game design. If he makes good on his design, hopefully we can see more like it in the future.

Kinda makes me wish I had a PS3.

Posted by catpowerd

Wow that was a great article! Looking forward to seeing more of this game.

Posted by yyZiggurat

Great interview, Alex. I loved the music in the trailer and am really looking forward to this game.

A couple of typo's:

Third paragraph fifth line "Caballero father had two sides"

Caballero's answer to the question about Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure: "my child is still to young"

Posted by craigbo180

More of this, I'm sure there are many indie developers working on interesting projects because they are not the cut and dry boring shooters that saturate the market. I mean Alex Neuse, Jonathan Blow, Edmund Mcmillien and Goichi Suda always give really interesting interviews. Great article Alex, I really do hope we see more in this format in the future.

Posted by Scodiac

This was a great interview and, man, I am ever interested in this game. I'm really glad Sony continues to support truly creative game devs with PSN. I love to shoot dudes but our medium could certainly use more of this kind of genuine work.

Posted by Oginam

Great article. Looking forward to playing this game the more I hear about it.

Posted by Deusx

I am so excited for this game. Alex, that was a great article!

Posted by boylie

That was an amazing read. I have to look into this Nilo Rodis too, I wonder if he's written anything about crafting metaphors and stuff like what Caballero was talking about. I'd love to read it. GG Alex

Posted by RagingLion

A great interview.  I'm heartened to hear that the mechanics are being used to tell the story and hopefully that means all of these interaction with drawings in addition to the more obvious metaphor surrounding monster.

I also love that he wants to use games and their mechanics to show that the world isn't just black and white (ala Mario) - I've thought myself before that I want games to show the complexity of the world and that they could be used in that way really powerfully.

Posted by polyorpheus

Now that I know more about the game and the aspirations for it, I'm very interested in this game. 

Edited by crusader8463

As someone who is not a big puzzle fan, I really hope the gameplay doesn't get in the way and keep me from enjoying the story.

Posted by Underachiever007

Really cool article, Alex.

Posted by ArcadiaExeter

I really cant wait for this game. it contains everything i look for in a game experience. it is whimsical and child like. it encourages imagination while at the same time has real meaning and tells a real story. it also tells that story without resorting to movie scenes. it's also a great argument for why games can be just as deep as any book or movie. This is why games can be art.

this sounds incredible and i cant wait to play it.

Posted by Synaptic

Awesome work. Really interesting to hear about it, looking forward to playing it when it comes out.

Posted by MacEG
@Tesla said:

Alex Navarro has been on fire with the GB articles, all the while pulling double duty on Screened.

He is definitely the front runner for Whiskey Media's 2011 MVP award.

Totally agree. It's funny because I'm not a fan of his voice (I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm just a douche like that) but really really good article. Awesome work Alex.
Posted by Cirdain

Beautiful article.

Posted by rmanthorp

Serious business! Sounds interesting though.

Posted by Eujin

Wow, the basis for the game idea may be why the original concept resonated with me so much. Without going into detail, I really hope he pulls this off, and I can't wait to try it.

Posted by Kombat

From the sound of it, Papo & Yo has some really interesting shades-of-grey storytelling going on. I like the concept of loving your Monster, even when he is "bad," and wanting to save him. It is such a refreshing true-to-life idea that seems sort of no-brainer thinking about it. But even something this surface-level has been pretty absent from the gaming space. There is just too much black-and-white, good-and-evil, Mario-and-Koopas going on in this industry.

I can't say that I am really all that excited about this game, but I like the sound of what Caballero is trying to achieve. I miss the more personal, subtle stories that the medium used to put forth. Everything has become too bogged down in technology and effects to the point that few games are truly affecting. Sounds great.

Now, if only I can come up with the cash to replace my broken PS3 by the time this releases...

• 62 results