194 Comments
  • 194 results
Posted by Sammo21

@Jeffk38uk: I think I read that they are planning on a PC version at some point...

Posted by ajump23

Brad may be the worst most unobservant video game player I have ever seen.  "I didn't see that bar there"  "Did we pick up a health?"

Posted by Fattony12000
@Vinny
Check out Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy, it's a great set of books from a great 40K writer. He gives you a slightly different take on the whole Warhammer universe, as he's dealing with a type of character not often seen in the games.

http://www.amazon.com/Eisenhorn-Warhammer-40-000-Omnibus/dp/1844161560/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310672231&sr=1-1 

The first book is a decade old now! 

He also did Gaunt's Ghosts, again, he gives you a wild ride with a bunch of non Space Marine guys and gals. The first three books in the series will give you a great taste of what to expect. 

http://www.amazon.com/Gaunts-Ghosts-Founding-Dan-Abnett/dp/1844163695/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310672617&sr=1-1 

Dan Abnett is definitely the man to stick with for your first foray into the 40K Black Library. 
AND THAT GOES FOR THE REST OF YOU!
Posted by Niccoles

Really enjoying the Brad/Vinny quicklooks

Posted by Larsa

If it's green, make it scream

Posted by mrangryface

Its a pretty basic game, and testament to how readily ill play ANYTHING based in the Warhammer 40k universe. That said, I hope they release DLC or a sequel where you fight demons n such, complete w/access to the Grey Knights.

Posted by dabada

It's actually a pretty solid dual joystick shooter. 

Since it has a special move, sprint, and grenades it actually sets itself apart from the flock. 

Most importantly it has MELEE. 

One thing that wasn't totally made clear in the quicklook is that ALL the power ups are SHARED, not just the heath power up.

The visuals, especially the lighting, is really good for a $10 game. 

However, no on-line coop is just dumb. 
Posted by Fattony12000
@mrangryface@Larsa@Niccoles@ajump23@sammo21@Veektarius@Luck3ySe7en@Majkiboy@shintsurugi@Troncek@Eversor@leebmx@coakroach@SHHADOWW@Jeffsekai@DeadDorf@DirtyEagles:  

Hey, you should all do some work on my Warhammer 40k page! 

http://www.giantbomb.com/warhammer-40000/62-227/
Posted by avidwriter

Sometimes it's hard to watch these. I kept saying "Why aren't you taking the better weapon? That's the default, the other one is better! What are you doing!?" 

Posted by MrMazz

this game looks pretty fun

Edited by mrangryface

Dan Abnett + 40k anything is holy crap awesome. I also like the three Grey Knights books- they're so absurd. A titan that shoots demons from a gun on its arm- you cant beat that. YOU CANT

Posted by wefwefasdf

That game looks surprisingly fun.

Posted by navyboy

DOUBLE UHHHHH

Posted by jakonovski

Great Quick Look, despite Brad picking up a melee class and then not meleeing. Or maybe it was great because of that. I dunno.

Posted by GunslingerPanda

The 40k fiction is laughable, but the tabletop game is pretty fun. Just don't try to find any depth in the lore and you're fine!

Posted by 2HeadedNinja

Im stille bummed out that game is not on PC, would have been a day 1 for me.

Posted by Moonshadow101

That Plasma Cannon behaved improperly. "Heavy 1 Blast" should not fire like that!

ARRRRGGGGHH

Posted by BLipp18

hey, uhh, its not out on PSN fyi. maybe next week but definitely not this week

Posted by RazielCuts

So..boring..can't sit through this.. 

Posted by Rawrnosaurous

So very pissed that brad picked up the Vanguard and then choose to shoot the orks instead of using the chainsword. Your supposed to be going towards them not slowly backing up and shooting your plasma pistol! Sometimes the ineffectualness of the quicklooks work to their favor but I mean come on. He chose the guy with a a bar full for melee and almost nil for range and then shot people the whole time wondering why he was bored.

Posted by Dyram

Dan Abnett is a fantastic author, and one of the most prolific writers of the Black Library, and while all of his works, including Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Gaunt's Ghosts, and others, are great reads, one must step lightly when entering the Warhammer 40,000 universe. 

The lore is dense, deep, and prevalent, and this can be quite intimidating to new readers. The Horus Heresy books really describe the start of one of the most important parts of the 40k 'verse, but are full of things that don't even apply to the 'present' timeframe and are presented mostly as Space Marine books. Eisenhorn is a fantastic series following the Inquisitor, but it's not a character nor a plot that those looking in from the outside would necessarily feel the impact of. Even the amazing Gaunt's Ghosts series (or mega series at this point - I should know, I have shelves full of every book), while more human, focuses so much on the group dynamic of the Tanith regiment that its scope limits character growth over any single book and provides better combat sequences than a humanized story, unless you plan to read a large number of them. 

This is why when recommending Warhammer 40,000 books for any new reader, I always tell them Ciaphas Cain, and they always love it and are drawn much further in. The Cain books focus on a very human, very personal character who could very well be like someone you know. Cain is a person, first and foremost, and the 40k universe comes second. Relatability is key, as it makes the reader feel much more comfortable with what is going on, and invested in the action and characters they read about. That is what makes the Cain books the perfect starting point for people just getting into the fiction, it transcends the universe it's written around to just be a good, fun novel of its own merit.

None of this is to say that the other books aren't good. Not at all, as much of the Black Library is fantastic and does a fabulous job of filling out the Warhammer 40,000 lore, as well as being fun reads. Those others series are perfect... just once the reader has their footing.

Posted by mrangryface

I've never been a big fan of the Cain books- the author never seems to strike an appropriate balance between serious and not. Maybe things changed after the first few books I dunno. The book that actually got me into Warhammer a couple years ago was the Omnibus release of the Grey Knights novels.

As for Abnett, hes crafted a pretty complete little corner of the 40k universe for himself- I think if you approach Eisenhorn as you would a mystery novel its plenty approachable- Ravenor is less that way imo.

Posted by mrangryface

@Rawrnosaurous: He figured it out eventually.

Posted by locolukah

Why this games doesn't have online coop is beyond me.

Edited by zombie007
@kzaju said:

One of few quicklooks Brad didnt die in . 

Brad - "Hey, this guy's got a chainsaw sword, Imma pick him"
Game: 'Press 'A' to use your chainsword'
Brad (20 sec later): "How do I use my chainsword?"
Lvl up screen: Brad- "Hey, I can upgrade my sword" *sword power bar is almost full*
Brad (2 min later)-"Bummer, my guy's gun is really weak compared to yours Vinny, why is that?" 
Vinny -"Well, I picked the guy with a giant gun and you picked one with a sword" 
Brad - "Well, your guy was rated for 'gun' but my guy was rated for... something else... i don't know what though"
Brad *continues to shoot guys away, rarely uses his sword.*

ugh. Vinny's got a lot of patience.

Edit: and Brad did totally die in the end of the QL.
Posted by heatDrive88
@2HeadedNinja said:

I'm willing to bet it's a temporary console exclusive thing. I won't be surprised if THQ and Relic eventually get this out to PC on Steam or something next year.
Posted by patrick5152003

jeff and ryan are the only ones allowed to do quick looks from now on,. 

Posted by Make_Me_Mad

Please, don't let Brad do Quick Looks like this anymore.  It's the worst.  Make him at least attempt to be good.

Posted by 234r2we232

Brad, you can start criticising others for not being understanding and fair-minded when you stop poo-pooing games you don't play :P

Posted by zaglis
@locolukah said:
Why this games doesn't have online coop is beyond me.
Wait..really?
Posted by Lyphen

Brad....oh Brad. Don't be the melee character and hang back behind the ranged.

Posted by dragonzord

@2HeadedNinja said:

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the console's version of Last Stand.

Posted by UberExplodey

dutch oven my bubble shield.

Posted by Seedofpower

Sigh this game is such garbage.

Posted by SockLobster

Does Brad even play videogames...seriously? Who doesn't know "down but not out" by now?

Blargh.

Posted by kerikxi

Left bumper turns on HOLY SHIT mode. Classic.

Edited by Dread612
@zombie007 said:

@kzaju said:

One of few quicklooks Brad didnt die in . 

Brad - "Hey, this guy's got a chainsaw sword, Imma pick him"Game: 'Press 'A' to use your chainsword'Brad (20 sec later): "How do I use my chainsword?" Lvl up screen: Brad- "Hey, I can upgrade my sword" *sword power bar is almost full*Brad (2 min later)-"Bummer, my guy's gun is really weak compared to yours Vinny, why is that?"  Vinny -"Well, I picked the guy with a giant gun and you picked one with a sword"  Brad - "Well, your guy was rated for 'gun' but my guy was rated for... something else... i don't know what though" Brad *continues to shoot guys away, rarely uses his sword.* ... ugh. Vinny's got a lot of patience.  Edit: and Brad did totally die in the end of the QL.
Your 100% right. Brad's QLs are getting harder and harder to watch. His "performance" and his uncanny ability of not understanding wtf is going on in quick looks is the reason I don't even bother reading his reviews.
Posted by razos

"Understanding and fair-minded" community indeed ;) . Looks like everybody loves to pick on Brad and his not always great play .

Posted by dagas

Anyone know if my unopened box of plastic Warhammer Orcs from like 1998 has gone up in value? Just curious.

Posted by KillyDarko

Seen that the Warhammer 40000 franchise has predominantly always been a PC one, it is perhaps kind of weird not to see this game on that platform as well...

Posted by mrangryface

Guys ragging on brad are kinda being dicks. Even if he isnt super awesome at the game, hes probably playing more games than half the paid reviewers out there on the net.

Posted by RandomInternetUser

Seems more fun than most games of this genre.  I may pick it up, but I would be much more likely to do so if this was on PC.

Posted by MeatSim

A game you should only play if you have a co-op buddy.

Posted by Baggykins

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Please, don't let Brad do Quick Looks like this anymore. It's the worst. Make him at least attempt to be good.

I'm not one to talk about ironic names, but good job

Posted by Oni

Not to jump on the hate train, but Brad picking an OBVIOUS melee character (sword bar almost full, ranged not so, called VANGUARD, etc), missing the controls screen (which had like, 4 controls on it) and not figuring out to use his damn sword for like 15 minutes is just extremely frustrating to watch. How hard can it be to pay the slightest bit of attention to wtf you are doing? It makes these things so hard to watch with him sometimes.

I don't get the hate - people should chill the hell out.  It's not like they died over and over because of it...  Christ.

Posted by Beforet

@f33r_mai_ch33tz said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Please, don't let Brad do Quick Looks like this anymore. It's the worst. Make him at least attempt to be good.

I'm not one to talk about ironic names, but good job

I think you mean appropriate, not ironic. With me being the Pedantic Panda.

Wait... why is this not on the PSN store?  I can't find it even through a search.

Posted by Ithmoliar

I love quick looks with the Bradster, stop all the hatin!

Posted by Spoonman671
@xobballox said:
Wait... why is this not on the PSN store?  I can't find it even through a search.
Yeah, I got all excited and quit out of Burnout only to be met with disappointment.
  • 194 results