182 Comments
  • 182 results
Posted by patrickklepek
Maybe next time, Duke.

June, usually a slow period for video games, turned out to be the month when Duke Nukem Forever was finally released, after more than a decade of development and several complete reboots.

The NPD Group has released its monthly sales report for the games industry, bringing word that Duke Nukem Forever will have to be content with the number two spot. L.A. Noire took the top spot.

L.A. Noire sold 419,000 copies over the course of the month, while Duke Nukem Forever sold 376,300, I'm told. It's crucial to note, however, that these numbers do not include digital sales, only physical.

Here's the complete list, sans numbers for the rest of the games:

1. L.A. Noire
  2. Duke Nukem Forever
  3. inFamous 2
  4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  7. NBA 2K11
  8. Mortal Kombat
  9. Cars 2
  10. Just Dance 2

No sign of Alice: Madness Returns or Shadows of the Damned, two games that are definitely worth playing.

So far, only Microsoft has issued a statement on this month's numbers, announcing Xbox 360 outsold all the other hardware platforms and moved an impressive 507,000 units during June.

Staff
Posted by Gargantuan

A sad day for the Duke

Posted by Cincaid

Numbers! Feel bad for Gearbox, hopefully they can focus on Borderlands 2 now instead.

Posted by slowbird

HAIL TO THE NUMBER TWO, BABY! DUKE JUST DROPPED A DEUCE ON 'EM.

Posted by Little_Socrates

Once again pleased with Patrick selling people Alice and Shadows. Happy to have LA Noire outsell Duke.

Posted by Brendan

I'm just impressed with the CoD sales. Still killin' it.

Posted by dcgc

How is it bad for Duke Nukem Forever? It's a shitty game and yet it was the #2 most sold game in June...

Posted by mnzy
@slowbird said:

HAIL TO THE NUMBER TWO, BABY! DUKE JUST DROPPED A DEUCE ON 'EM.

Sure Duke, blow it out your ass.
Posted by AzHP

Can't believe Shadows of the Damned didn't sell well...I heard it only sold 50k. A crying shame.

Posted by RE_Player1

I keep on getting this thought in the back of my mind that maybe next year Sony and Microsoft will release new consoles. Than I see numbers like 507,000 360s sold in June and realize they don't have to, which in way I like. I want to see the 360 and PS3 go strong until at least 2013.

Posted by superscott597
@dcgc said:
How is it bad for Duke Nukem Forever? It's a shitty game and yet it was the #2 most sold game in June...
That's what I thought...
Posted by zombie2011

Wow MS sold half a million 360's, impressive for a month with pretty much no games. 

Posted by Jimbo

3 million+ copies for Duke Nukem Forever, eh, Pachter? Good job, nailed it.

Posted by Barrock

Sad for Alice and Shadows. I bought both. :(

Posted by bb4lake

I bought LA Noire this month, I'm not surprised too much about the results.

Posted by Shadow71

Take-Two with both #1 and #2 is nice to see

Posted by Slaker117

Man, CoD still killing it. Even if you hate the series you have to be impressed by its ability to never stop selling.

Posted by raiz265

How the fuck did that game manage to get 2nd place?

Posted by AndrewB

The fact that it was #2 makes me just as sad.

Posted by oroboros
@AzHP said:

Can't believe Shadows of the Damned didn't sell well...I heard it only sold 50k. A crying shame.

Be a shame of all those people who would have bought SotD bought DNF instead.   Seems like a similar demographic.

Notice FEAR3 isn't on the list, either.  Dirt3 sales were also pretty poor.
Edited by RE_Player1

Also I bought Alice and am sad it did not crack the top ten. Hopefully it has long legs and consistently sells.

Posted by SugarRay

NBA 2K11 will not go out of the top 10. Very impressive.

Posted by csl316

No Fear 3, aww.

Posted by Jimbo

@superscott597 said:

@dcgc said:
That's what I thought...

They don't hand out prizes for that unfortunately - numbers sold is what counts. It came second in a weak month.

Posted by chilibean_3
Posted by Mr_Skeleton

Fuck! I shouldn't have bet on Duke.

Posted by AssInAss

Alice is awesome, one of my favourites already for this year. Really powerful 3rd act. 

Posted by GohanEgret
@Jimbo: He revised his numbers to half that, NPD can't account for all PC sales, and his numbers could be worldwide instead of just North America.
Posted by Landon
@oroboros said:
@AzHP said:

Be a shame of all those people who would have bought SotD bought DNF instead.   Seems like a similar demographic. Notice FEAR3 isn't on the list, either.  Dirt3 sales were also pretty poor.
SotD is a stupid game that knows it's stupid. DNF is a stupid game that thinks it is funny.
Edited by vinsanityv22

It's a shame the EA Partners branch apparently doesn't include advertising. I didn't see commercials for either Alice or Shadow of the Damned. And I've been playing Alice; it's not good. It's extremely repetitive. The combat is one-note, as is the platforming. After two worlds, they completely run out of tricks. It's like the Dynasty Warriors of platformers. It's a shame. I have also heard conflicting things about Shadows. It reviewed well enough, but considering this is a team up of the guys who did No More Heroes and Vanquish separately, which are two genuinely amazing games, as well as the guy who scored Silent Hill, it seems to be a disappointment to fans.

I'm happy Duke Nukem is selling though. That game got unfairly bashed for a lot of crap that a lot of other, less fun, FPS do. Although it is pretty hideous. But fun trumps ...muddy/slimy visuals, cheap looking assets and an awful color palette.

Posted by lord_canti

duke nukem selling more than infamous depresses me

Posted by lockwoodx

The Duke CRUSHED la noire. Those don't include digital sales numbers. Hail to the King, baby.

Posted by jorbear

@SugarRay: That's because it is one of the best sports games of all time. It deserves it.

Posted by PXAbstraction

Once again, not only do those numbers not include digital sales, they don't include ANY sales outside the US! I really wish more stories would mention this. There are other places in the world that buy games.

Posted by JCTango

I'm glad NBA 2K11 landed in the top ten.  It's one of my all-time favourites :D.

Posted by Jimbo

@GohanEgret said:

@Jimbo: He revised his numbers to half that, NPD can't account for all PC sales, and his numbers could be worldwide instead of just North America.

He didn't have much choice but to revise his numbers down massively did he? He was fucking miles off. If you stood on the spot of his insanely optimistic original estimate and looked toward the actual sales, all you would see is a barely visible speck on the horizon - that's how far off he was.

The unaccounted for PC sales will hardly be worth mentioning and the non-US market will be what? It's a dumb FPS not a Settlers game; I suspect even adding 50% on top of the US numbers would be optimistic. If this gets to a million actual sales it's gonna limp there at about $5 a copy.

Go watch the Pach Attack where he tears somebody apart for suggesting DNF won't sell very well, it's pretty amusing.

Posted by TheKing

Those are some holiday type numbers for the 360.

Posted by GohanEgret
@Jimbo: I do agree that he was optimistic to a hilarious fault. I was merely just saying that he corrected his overenthusiastic numbers and that NPD can't track everything (even if it's been trying to do so recently).

As for how it did in the rest of the world, it spent 3 weeks in the top 10 in the UK and is at 21 a month after release. Of course, without hard numbers that doesn't mean much ...

Trust me, I usually give Pachter plenty of shit for his ridiculous "analysis."
Posted by sins_of_mosin
@PXAbstraction said:
Once again, not only do those numbers not include digital sales, they don't include ANY sales outside the US! I really wish more stories would mention this. There are other places in the world that buy games.
Once again this is a US site so that additional info isn't needed.

Can't believe the Xbox 360 sold over 500k consoles in the month of June.  That is impressive!
Posted by bkbroiler

@AndrewB said:

I don't know... a game finally being released after 14-some years only debuting at number 2? Or maybe that's what you mean.

Posted by JayDee

you ever think about how crazy video game sales are? 500k is ridiculous for a $60 product.

Posted by Subjugation

I'm slightly disgusted that Cars 2 is on that list.

Posted by gamefreak9

... People bought Duke Nukem more than infamous two? SHAME... omg SHAME!!! 

Posted by JackSukeru

I intend to play both SotD and Alice someday, but haven't bought either yet.

Posted by RE_Player1

@weeman105 said:

I'm slightly disgusted that Cars 2 is on that list.

Cars 2 is a quality game.

Posted by Xpgamer7

All that hype led to a serious downfall.

Edited by Agent47
@the_chojin99: Probably cause Duke has a bigger name and popularity in gaming?...Yeah it's probably that...oh and inFamous is an exlusive.Well I'm not sure about exclusive cause GOW2/1 sold millions(and 3 will probably top both) so did Halo so yeah I guess exclusive doesn't matter.
Posted by PrivateIronTFU

I bought Shadows of the Damned, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Edited by AndrewB
@bkbroiler said:

@AndrewB said:

I don't know... a game finally being released after 14-some years only debuting at number 2? Or maybe that's what you mean.

That's a good point, but what I meant is that it's a piece of garbage and it still sold better than games that deserve attention. 

And I don't think I'm being harsh calling it a piece of garbage. Even the developers and publishers that held the game previously recognized it as such.
Posted by kingzetta

mortal kombat still hanging in there

• 182 results