121 Comments
  • 121 results
Posted by LiQuid3600

Played Breath of Death on XBLIG for a couple hours.  I was enjoying it but I got sick of accidentally selecting Level Up A by jamming on the A button to mash my way through combat, so I gave up.  Trivial and dumb?  Yeah, but it was only a buck so I don't really care.

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

As a huge fan of Bard's Tale on the Amiga back in the day, this seems pretty damned awesome for $3 together.

Posted by Mars_Cleric

I finished Breath of Death VII the other day and it was awesome.

I started playing Cthulu Saves the World today, but it's so similar I kinda want to wait a bit so I don't get burnt out.3

Posted by _Horde

@steevl: Ah, that explains it! :)

Posted by Penzilneck

So, he's "Dem Bones"?

Posted by Bakumatsu

Yes! I was so awating for this one.

Posted by PokeIkzai

You know what? These games are great fun and have a good price. Definitely worth it.

Posted by Alraiis

Best insanely-cheap indie double-game package I've gotten on Steam since Ben There, Dan That/Time Gentlemen, Please!

Posted by jimmdogg

Quality quick look. Well done.

Posted by The_Hiro_Abides

Both games are not really easy on normal. They are if you grind out levels and for equipment. So you know, classic RPG tactic.

Posted by Natalia

A state senator is a congressman, I believe. ;p

Edited by President_Evil

Allow me to introduce ya'll to the KANG of CRPG'S:

http://www.giantbomb.com/barkley-shut-up-and-jam-gaiden/61-25312

Also, it's free. And this happens:

Posted by metalsnakezero

I like Cthulu Saves the World more, just for the fact that you are playing as Cthulu!
Also making things go Insane is great.

Edited by HarlequinRiot

God now I remember how much I hate this style of game.  

Also: The song in the graveyard of Breath of Death sounds like Lullaby by The Cure

Posted by christ0phe

Why does ryan not use magic with the obvious spellcaster?

Posted by Tikicobra

I just got these games the other day. I haven't played much of Breath of Death, but Cthulhu Saves the World is awesome.

Posted by PerfidiousSinn

"Insane" is my new favorite status effect in an RPG. 

What other status effect makes your enemy make a really funny face?

Posted by Robin_Gr

I got these when when they released. I have been looking for something like Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden for the longest time. These don't quite have the same edge, but they were simple enjoyable and most importantly, short, which is how I like my J-styled RPGS.

Posted by buft

I bought this for 80 points, easy choice i spent more than that on a pair of shoes for my avatar. 

Posted by xite
@President_Evil: Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden was my GOTY '08, not even kidding.
Edited by whatisdelicious

Looks a lot like A Link to the Past in some ways.

EDIT: Well, the very, very beginning did. And nothing else so far. Also, all I can think when DEM's name appears onscreen is "DEM BONES DEM BONES DEM BONES."

Posted by onarum

Looks alright, unfortunately I don't have patience for random encounters anymore.

Posted by Tondo

Both are great fun. Bought them on 360 a while ago and had to double dip when the PC-versions were released. Highly recomended.

Edited by beard_of_zeus

I played Cthulhu Saves The World on XBLIG and really enjoyed it, and decided to double-dip and get the 2-pack on Steam, and I'm now currently playing through Breath of Death. It's also enjoyable, but I'm with Ryan and definitely enjoyed Cthulhu better. I like that character better, and the "insanity" status effect layered on top of everything else is neat.

These games are a great value, and definitely enjoyable enough. Plus, honestly my favorite thing about them is that they are on the shorter side! There aren't enough short RPGs out there - I like the genre, but have trouble actually finishing any of the games when I get burned out or distracted after like 30 hours. Cthulhu took me about 10-12 hours to finish, and Breath of Death looks like it might only be around 6 hours or so. Good stuff.

Posted by JackSukeru

@beard_of_zeus: I was already kinda into the Cthulhu game, but you telling me that it's short enough for me to not burn out on it offically sold me!

Posted by redbliss

"So I think my first order of business is to make that cleric crazy" 

That line really cracked me up.

Posted by Fear_the_Booboo
@President_Evil: What?

That's awesome!
Edited by SuperfluousMoniker

I really wanted to like Breath of Death but it just can't hang with the games it's imitating. And lots of flat jokes. Cthulhu seems a lot better though...

Posted by JimmyRedd

Warning: do not remove the hard drive while saving, lol

Posted by Sander

Breath of Death? More like BORED TO Death. I feel sorry for me that I played through games like this.

Posted by NeutralDensity

It is cool to see what these games are like.  When I get time to buy and play Cthulhu Saves the World, I am going to make all the enemies insane. 

Posted by fox01313

Didn't know much on Breath of Death but bought Cthulhu Saves the World on Xbox Live a while back & loved the hell out of it. Humorous plus full of some great Lovecraftian mythos & interesting characters. Thought that it's was well worth the price on seeing the deadleaders (dead zombie cheerleaders), friendly zombies & all kinds of crazy monsters.

Edited by AngerPanda

I tried both and honestly, I couldn't handle the groan-inducing humor. Don't get me wrong, I like some good, cheesy humor (love me some Telltale) but these game's attempts at comedy just seems like they're trying too hard. Might try them again sometime in the future, though.

Posted by vinsanityv22

SWEET! I loves it when Giant Bomb covers interesting games, instead of mainstream "everyone covers this" sh** like Call of Duty. Bring on the indie QLs!

Edited by Terry_Bogard

They changed the victory music in BOD. I liked it better before. They also changed some status portraits.. which is good because some of them were pretty janky.

Posted by Masha2932
@vinsanityv22: That's true but they also bring a unique  flavour to their 'mainstream' game coverage.
Posted by ahoodedfigure

"Phantastic?" Is that a reference to a similar shot in PS IV? I've played a lot of these but the references are zinging past me.

Posted by Daveyo520

Well I went and bought the 1st one with left over points I had and when I have more left over points I will buy the second one.

Posted by DragonBloodthirsty

I was really curious about these games, thanks for showing them off.

Posted by dropabombonit

Great ql, had heard of this games but never played them but will defo pick them up if they are as cheap as Ryan says they are

Posted by PenguinDust

As a DQ fan, this type of RPG is right up my alley. 

Posted by simonbuchan

Don't know why people are saying 7-10 hours for BoD, Steam tells me I finished it in 3. The best thing is that refilling health means random encounters are either tough as hell to get through without draining your MP (which will screw you over if you run out before you can refill it or level to the enemies), or easy enough to blast through in 5 seconds. Also there's a cap on random battles per area, so if you are tooling around trying to figure out how to get to that chest you normally hit that before they become annoying. For tough areas, you can also grind out the random battles by sitting on an MP refill and hitting Fight in the menu over and over. You can clear most areas in ~5 minutes at worst, and you get leveled to heck to boot.

Posted by Tordah

Looks pretty decent for that price.

Posted by AlexW00d

I dunno whether it gets mentioned, but these two sold more in their first day on Steam than the entire year of being on xbox live.

Posted by wapostyle

Game looks good, but the jokes do nothing for me.

Posted by Pop

get it? he boned himself, that's funny cause he's a skeleton...

Posted by Ghost_Cat

Skeletons don't poo.

Edited by nikemike99

Reason 1175 why I love Giant Bomb: Jeff drops a Crazy Crab refrence, including singing the song, in the middle of this QL. 

Posted by DarkbeatDK

I've been wanting them for a long time but don't have American XBLA, so I'm happy that they are on steam now.

• 121 results