253 Comments
Edited by FluxWaveZ
@JoeyRavn said:

It seems the cake is, wait for it, a lie. Well, not really, but not a full truth either:

Last week, Atlus trumpeted strong first-week sales for its eccentric puzzle game, Catherine, via a celebratory cake: "200,000 sold in the first week," it exclaimed. Try: 200,000 sold-in the first week (meaning shipped).
Following today's NPD report of video game sales in North America, you may have been curious as to whyCatherine didn't appear among July's top ten best sellers. The lowest-ranked game, Mortal Kombat, had sold 85K units by month's end. Catherine came in below that, selling 78K copies in its first six days (still making it Atlus' biggest launch yet).

Source.

It's nice for it to be official. I was saying the same thing since the first page.
Posted by JoeyRavn

It seems the cake is, wait for it, a lie. Well, not really, but not a full truth either:

Last week, Atlus trumpeted strong first-week sales for its eccentric puzzle game, Catherine, via a celebratory cake: "200,000 sold in the first week," it exclaimed. Try: 200,000 sold-in the first week (meaning shipped).
Following today's NPD report of video game sales in North America, you may have been curious as to whyCatherine didn't appear among July's top ten best sellers. The lowest-ranked game, Mortal Kombat, had sold 85K units by month's end. Catherine came in below that, selling 78K copies in its first six days (still making it Atlus' biggest launch yet).

Source.

Posted by Xpgamer7

Needs more sauce.

Posted by apoc_reg

Catherine is a weird and wacky awesome test bed for how they will do persona 5 on high def. and what a great little game it is in its own right. Gotta love Atlus
Posted by felipebo

awesome

Posted by eltrut

I love spotting an Alex article just from the title.

Posted by ImperiousRix

I bought the Love is Over edition of Catherine and do not regret it.  I love this game and am glad it's doing well. 
Go Atlus, go!

Posted by FluxWaveZ
@XII_Sniper said:

Is that good? I don't even know anymore, blockbuster games have kinda skewed my perception of success. I guess that's pretty decent for an obscure Japanese game.

It's good when their game's budget isn't equivalent to a Call of Duty and when sales expectations are as modest as Atlus usually sets them.
Posted by MikkaQ

Is that good? I don't even know anymore, blockbuster games have kinda skewed my perception of success. I guess that's pretty decent for an obscure Japanese game.

Posted by MonkeyKing1969

I think this shows what ADVERTING does for a game. Maybe, the folks at EA in charge of "Shadows of the Damned" will wake up and realize they spent good money getting the rights to a Grasshopper game but all that money was flushed down the toilet with unimaginative and lackluster marketing.

Posted by zityz

That's great news. Not finished the game yet but I'm enjoying the style overall. Also Atlus, about level 6-3....F u!

Posted by cstrang

I'm 1 of the 200,000, but the game isn't good. The gameplay is barely passable, and the story is downright stupid. I will support Atlas for hopes of P5.

Posted by Dinkmers

Well done sir. Well done.

Edited by figurehead00
@FluxWaveZ said:

You should probably play Catherine before claiming to know what it's about. 

Just, this, this, a thousand times this. I had a great experience with Catherine, it was so much more than I had expected. I'm just glad the Persona team is getting some well deserved success, and I can't wait for Persona 5. Geez, who would of thought an internet forum would be a place jerks go to be jerks about stuff?
Posted by shodan2020

Sweetest cake, ever. :)

Posted by Parsnip

This pleases me, Persona 5 next.

Posted by jamesisaacs

Never got a boner off a cake before.

Posted by HerbieBug

Good.  Persona 5 let's go.

Posted by Cybexx

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Cybexx said:

I got it from VGChartz. I actually forgot to add the Japanese 360 numbers, which brings it up to around 220,000. The source of that article actually says they "shipped" 250,000. Adriansang incorrectly changed that to "sold".

The 200k mentioned in this article is also shipped, according to Nich Maragos at Atlus. Also, VG CHartz is never to be trusted when it comes to sales information.

I don't know man that cake clearly says "Sold" that is a first-party source. I agree with the unreliability of VGChartz, according to them Okami PS2 never sold any copies in North America but they sold at least one because I have a copy. The Catherine japan numbers make sense though, I would assume demand dropped off and they didn't sell through all the copies they shipped by the end of February. And the 700,000 for Demon's Souls matches the press release issued when the game went Greatest Hits.

Edited by Fascismo

"According to a Cake" is the best way to start any news post. A+

Posted by Catolf
@CosmicQueso said:

@Beforet said:

We are all still friends, right? Whole lot of love in this community!

Well, "Love Is Over" and all... GET IT!?!? Omgz... so funny. Now I'm going to go cry in a pillowcase and smack myself in the face with a pizza box. And put on sheep horns.

I bet your fun at parties.
Posted by FunkyFox

Glad to see it sell.

Edited by FluxWaveZ
@Cybexx said: 

I got it from VGChartz. I actually forgot to add the Japanese 360 numbers, which brings it up to around 220,000. The source of that article actually says they "shipped" 250,000. Adriansang incorrectly changed that to "sold".

The 200k mentioned in this article is also shipped, according to Nich Maragos at Atlus. Also, VG CHartz is never to be trusted when it comes to sales information.
Posted by CosmicQueso

@Beforet said:

Well, "Love Is Over" and all... GET IT!?!? Omgz... so funny. Now I'm going to go cry in a pillowcase and smack myself in the face with a pizza box. And put on sheep horns.

Posted by Beforet

Posted by RecSpec

There you go EA, maybe this will show you something.

Posted by Cybexx

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Cybexx said:

Catherine has also sold about 180,000 in Japan so far, so to exceed that in the first week is North America sales is pretty cool.

Where did you get that information? From this article, Catherine had surpassed 250k copies sold in Japan in February of this year.

Posted by Catolf
@Fuga said:
@madlam: die
calm down good lord.
Posted by Fuga
@madlam: die
Posted by gosukiller
@madlam said:
Cake? But isn't the cake a lie....?
ugh...
Posted by madlam

Cake? But isn't the cake a lie....?

Posted by MachoFantastico

Is there anything cakes don't know?

Posted by OneManX

I feel good knowing that this is, hopefully, turning into Persona 5 money....

Posted by BigStupidFace

Shoot that guy and stab that dude happen to be two of my favourite games so a bit of respect for them please.

Posted by Beomoose

Good for Atlus, here's hoping money means better games in the future.

Posted by BadNews

@Video_Game_King: Spaaaaaaaaaace

Posted by Evilsbane

Really REALLY happy for Atlus I may not be a fan of this new game of theirs but I wish neither them or the fans of Catherine ill will Atlus makes amazing stuff and they deserve the success...now about that Persona 5 duders.

Posted by vinsanityv22

Wish Atlus managed to move 200k copies of Radiant Historia. I don't find it cool that there are people like Alex here, who seem quite aware of Atlus' quality offerings, yet don't seem to actually check out any of them. Historia is seriously one of the best RPGs to ever come out of Japan; doubly so when every other day people are bashing the genre for some admittedly overused and sh*tty conventions. So when JRPGs come around that DON'T do that, and deliver quality storytelling, what do you people do? Ignore them. Tsk, tsk, tsk. 

Good on Atlus though for moving that many copies. I wish them continued success, as always. Them, XSeed and NIS America all deserve to find their own, respective Catherines. So they can keep bringing us quality, under-the-radar games (and hopefully convince people like Alex to actually buy them so they become ON-the-radar games). 

Hope Atlus has learned a thing or two about how to hype a game now. They seriously move a lot of titles that deserve this kinda success. Maybe if more quirky Japanese developers made games for the HD consoles instead of the  handhelds....

Posted by Video_Game_King
@TehFlan

A ton of popular games are (or, to be more partial, games that everybody has heard of). Trust me, I know.
Posted by TehFlan
@Video_Game_King: I thought Alex made a decent one. It's only a bad Portal joke when someone just spouts off a line from the game, which is what happens like 99 percent of the time, as proven by this thread. On a side note: I now realize that Catherine is polarizing as fuck.
Posted by Video_Game_King
@TehFlan said:
@Video_Game_King said:
Cue the Portal jokes in 3, 2, 1, GO!
Bit late for that, considering the Portal joke in the article itself.
I knew that I should have specified "bad Portal jokes." Are there even any good Portal jokes?....Not counting the ones in the actual games?
Posted by TehFlan
@Video_Game_King said:
Cue the Portal jokes in 3, 2, 1, GO!
Bit late for that, considering the Portal joke in the article itself.
Posted by PerfidiousSinn
@JAH_Donuts said:
That sweet, baked, breadlike food, made with or without shortening, and usually containing flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, eggs, and liquid flavoring is a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive.
As old and beat up as that joke is...I lol'd
Posted by ThePantheon

Awaiting my copy from PlayAsia.

Thanks region free PS3s!!!

Posted by pavakah

@Axelhander said:

...Growl; I'm like three cheetahs taped together.

I'd buy that T-shirt.

Posted by GozerTC
@Arrested_Developer said:

Apparently sex sells. This means they'll make Persona 5 sexier which I kind of dig.

Proof that marketing works.  :)   
Posted by JAH_Donuts

That sweet, baked, breadlike food, made with or without shortening, and usually containing flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, eggs, and liquid flavoring is a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive.

Posted by DonutFever
@Catolf said:
@DonutFever said:
@Catolf said:
@Axelhander: can you just be happy for a small company selling games? Huh?
Please, don't be silly.
I'm not saying they have to like the game, just be happy some different ideas are coming into the mix, and not only that, it sold well. be happy for the game industry as a whole for accepting new ideas.
Agreed. And this coming out around the same time as Shadows of the Damned and Child of Eden shows the importance of marketing. Plenty of people are open to new and unique ideas, you just have to let said people know about them.
Posted by Arrested_Developer

Apparently sex sells. This means they'll make Persona 5 sexier which I kind of dig.

Posted by MikeGosot

But... The cake is good? I mean, i'm happy for Atlus and all, but that's clearly the most important question here.