125 Comments
  • 125 results
Posted by zymbo

A lot of people bought it to see if it could hold up to the nostalgia of Duke 3d.  It didn't.  For a FPS it lacked a lot of the "shooting" element.  Too bad.  It still had a few fun parts.
Posted by YukoAsho
@HerbieBug said:
Profitable for Take-Two, yeah, maybe.  Profitable overall, taking into account the entire development process and all funds sunk into it from various sources?  No fucking chance. 
Well, both Take 2 and Gearbox made out like bandits once they got the game out of 3DR's hands.  The absurd development, however, has completely sunk 3D Realms.  I doubt we'll ever see a relevant game from them again.
Posted by zeus_gb
Glad to heard that it was at least a little bit successful.  DNF was an OK FPS game but certainly not the ground breaker Duke 3D was, which I thought was a great shame.  Hopefully if there's another one it'll be a hell of a lot better.
Posted by Gabriel

@HatKing said:

@MajorToms said:

I wonder how many copies of L.A. Noire have actually been sold. Every shop I go into has way too many copies sitting around.

Anyways, who thinks that Duke Nukem will be turned into a "Brah" character? He is the sort of chauvinistic jock of yesteryear, and that translates to the brahs of today. Dear god please don't be this silly Gearbox, Duke has more intelligence than the brahs of today. He needs to have a high level of suave and arrogance, but still be a complete meat head. Most brahs are just meatheads with low level suave and replace arrogance with ignorance.

I would gladly spend five to ten hours with Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Captain Price, the dude from Killzone and whatever other "meatheads" you could be referring to over even a half hour with Duke Nukem. That character is fucking unbearable. He always has been and always will be.

You obviously have no fucking idea what your talking about if you'd rather spend 5 hours with Killzone 2 Rico, over Duke Nukem.

Edited by MajorToms

@HatKing said:

@MajorToms said:

I wonder how many copies of L.A. Noire have actually been sold. Every shop I go into has way too many copies sitting around.

Anyways, who thinks that Duke Nukem will be turned into a "Brah" character? He is the sort of chauvinistic jock of yesteryear, and that translates to the brahs of today. Dear god please don't be this silly Gearbox, Duke has more intelligence than the brahs of today. He needs to have a high level of suave and arrogance, but still be a complete meat head. Most brahs are just meatheads with low level suave and replace arrogance with ignorance.

I would gladly spend five to ten hours with Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Captain Price, the dude from Killzone and whatever other "meatheads" you could be referring to over even a half hour with Duke Nukem. That character is fucking unbearable. He always has been and always will be.

I wasn't actually referring to or thinking of any characters. I was referring to how Duke was adopted off of a real frame of mind that real people had back in those days. If you contrasted it to the people of today, his type of character would be best compared to one of the meat head morons on Jersey shore. I just hope they don't modernize him in this way, is all.

Edited by HatKing
@MajorToms said:

I would gladly spend five to ten hours with Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Captain Price, the dude from Killzone and whatever other "meatheads" you could be referring to over even a half hour with Duke Nukem.  That character is fucking unbearable.  He always has been and always will be.  
Posted by lettuceman44

Why anyone would buy this game is beyond me lol.

Posted by Eyz
@Vendetta said:
@Eyz said:
You know..it was obvious this would make money, quality or not. See, on the same subject, blockbuster movies nowadays... They don't need to make much sense, look polished or have good plot either!
The first Duke game didn't make much or have a good plot and it was still considered great.
The first one? http://eyzmaster.blogspot.com/2011/02/vgr-duke-nukem.html
Sadly..I'd say, nobody really remembers the first 2 Duke Nukem games, even with funny over-the-tope parodic plots. (it's not like we cared much about "plot" back in the early 90s on our 8/16-bits videogames..)

But the 3rd one, Duke Nukem 3D does have a simplistic plot (aliens land on earth, good guy has to kill bad guys, yada yada..) - which was already a bit more than what other games had at the time~
Posted by Lind_L_Taylor

Never bet against the Duke.  Everybody knows that.  You don't have to put
a gun to my head.  I'll tell you.  He's A #1.

Posted by go_diego_go

if nothing else this proves that hype wins over good gaming any day of the week. *sigh*

Posted by Xsheps

I always thought that people carefully read about each game before deciding to purchase.

Edited by MrKlorox

Yeah it's profitable for them because George Broussard funded it out of his own pocket for the longest time. It wasn't just T2's money.

Posted by DapperSwineGames

Proof that most people will eat whatever feces you shovel into their mouths if you tell them it's cake!

Posted by thetenthdoctor

Despite the hot mess on 360 of horrendous load time, texture streaming issues and bad framerates, I still played Duke to completion and enjoyed it- even played a second time to S rank it.  Sure it was kind of crap in places, but I think everyone was WAY too harsh in their opinions.  Yes, there are much better games out there, but it was a perfectly serviceable FPS with some unique weapons and a different tone than all the super serious military shooter prevalent right now.  Of course I'm not saying they're "wrong" (since you can't have a wrong opinion), but I personally found it a nice change of pace.

I think a big part of the problem is that Gearbox removed about half the levels from game because they weren't close enough to being "done" that they could be part of the quick polish job they did.  Chances are when the single player DLC lands and restores the missing levels and weapons it'll be a more complete game.

Posted by HerbieBug

Profitable for Take-Two, yeah, maybe.  Profitable overall, taking into account the entire development process and all funds sunk into it from various sources?  No fucking chance. 

Posted by Lucidlife

Glad to hear it. It was a damn good game. Period.

Edited by vinsanityv22

Woooo! Glad to see the lure of seeing how it turned out was enough for people to ignore reviews and actually check it out:) The game is janky as heck; I'll admit it. But that's part of the charm. A game in development that long, by that many dev teams, has to look like a "Frankenstein's monster" of a game. But at the end of the day, it's still fun. And does a decent job of marrying older-school (superior) late 90's FPS game design with newer school (worse), uber easy, uber linear design. 

I'm glad it's successful. Because Gearbox gets to make a brand new Duke Nukem now. Well, when they finish their current slate of Borderlands 2 (WOOOOO), Aliens: Colonial Marines (WOOOOO) and...another Brothers in Arms (ZZZzzzzz....eh, at least it's Inglourious Bastards-style, instead of boring old COD style WWII). Hail to the King, baby!

Posted by 1337W422102

Fuck yeah.

Posted by TEHMAXXORZ
@MordeaniisChaos said:

Good. Gearbox took a huge risk and I'd hate to have seen them lose money on anything. Remember this money goes to Borderlands 2!!!!!

Posted by Vendetta
@Eyz said:
You know..it was obvious this would make money, quality or not. See, on the same subject, blockbuster movies nowadays... They don't need to make much sense, look polished or have good plot either!
The first Duke game didn't make much or have a good plot and it was still considered great.
Posted by Shuborno

Kudos to Gearbox for wrapping up the project successfully.

Posted by Xpgamer7

Where did Duke go wrong?

Posted by Hockeymask27
@ADarkMatter: Give me time to get it together. Here's a down payment to prove I'm good for it. 
Posted by Cubical

I had a lemon aid stand  that was 4 years in the making that made me a profit.

Posted by Eyz

You know..it was obvious this would make money, quality or not.
See, on the same subject, blockbuster movies nowadays... They don't need to make much sense, look polished or have good plot either!

Posted by Marz

People really wanted a Duke Nukem Game, just too bad this one took so long and ended up being meh in the end.

Posted by WickedCobra03

I guess that that I am happy that Gearbox was able to get that game out, and as super interested that I am in the game, not $60 dollara interested! If they had released it for $19.99 I would have been all over it day one. Heck, even for $29.99, I would have probably picked it up right when it came out! Still can't wait to grab it on sale or even used eventually!

Posted by Xymox

How will the next game in the series sell when it doesnt have the gimmicky "we spent 14 years to make this game"? Probaby really poorly.

Posted by mcnorhymes

c'mon .....call it quits bro.....its over ok ? ...its over  ...*pulls you off dead corpse*
Posted by ADarkMatter
@Hockeymask27: man 1000$ brad bucks changing it right up, want to see those brad bucks though.
Posted by probablytuna

You're right, now that I think about it, Gearbox is extremely busy for next year. No doubt Aliens: Colonial Marines will get delayed until 2013 which means we won't see another Duke game until at least 2015! Hooray for us!

Posted by Wolverine

I remember it being pretty high on the NPD list, but that game has been in development since I've been in Kindergarden (and I'm currently entering my second year of college). I'm really surprised they turned a profit.

Posted by Vigorousjammer

so, if the next game gets made within a 2-4 year dev cycle, and is totally Self-referential like Jeff was suggesting, i'd be totally up for that.

While I didn't buy or play DNF, i'm excited by the prospect of a new Duke game being made, and if Gearbox is fully developing it, i'm kind of hopeful for it.

Posted by laserbolts
@SuperfluousMoniker I'm being totally honest with you when I say I enjoyed DNF more than bulletstorm. I know DNF was a shit game but I didn't mind it.
Posted by Hockeymask27
@ADarkMatter: I will give you 1000$ brad buck to edit your post to just say "Always Bet on Duke"
Posted by Lunar_Aura

Hail to the bling, baby!

Posted by Shadoestar

Considering the number of people who go to Michael Bay movies, listen to Ke$ha and watch Jersey Shore, I guess this isn't entirely surprising. Always bet on the bad taste of the general public.

Posted by Green_Incarnate

@Crunchman said:

BUT AT WHAT COST?

Best comment in this thread.

Posted by TheFianlFrontier21

if transformers can make millions, why cant duke

Posted by Scrawnto

Let's be clear, it wasn't really worth making, but after 3D Realms collapsed, it was worth finishing for Gearbox and Take Two. That's what this story is saying. If those two companies were saddled with the costs from before they picked it up, it would have been disastrous.

Posted by SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

I have a hard time believing they account for the salary of every person who worked on this over the past 12+ years when measuring their gains.

They don't, of course. Randy bought the game in almost finished form for a song.

Posted by BadOrcLDR

I'm very proud to say I did not buy it. Nope, I spent my money on Brink instead... yeah, totally didn't get shafted there.

Posted by Klei

People who didn't like Duke are pussies. YEAH. /insert manly voice
Posted by JerichoBlyth

It was an event...they won't be fooled again

Posted by Plipster

Cool, a squeal would be cool. Most cool, uber cool if you will.

If done right Duke Nukem could be hilarious and fun to play, just a shame DNF wasn't.

Posted by Milkman

There is no God.

Posted by frytup

We live in a world where Adam Sandler movies make bank. This can't be a surprise.

Posted by zus

That can't be good for Take-Two if they weren't profitable this quarter despite 4 million sales of LA Noire. At what point do they tell Rockstar to push the finish on the next GTA?

Edited by jaytee00
@the_chojin99: Note that it was profitable for Take-2, this won't include all the money that 3-D realms pissed away

Always bet on duke
   (if you can acquire the rights at a discount and quickly polish the turd)
Posted by lord_canti

i am rather supprised with this i meen it was in development for about 12 years thats gotta be costly and the reviews were pritty negative :\

• 125 results