125 Comments
  • 125 results
Posted by Repox

$4 of profit from Duke Nukem Forever, when matched up to development costs.

Posted by ReyGitano

I can't imagine Duke Nukem being profitable if you take into account all it's years of development. Good for Gearbox though, getting that money so they can keep making better games, like Borderlands.

Posted by The_Nubster

When all of their others games ship, I'm curious to see what Gearbox does with Duke, now that they can build him from the ground up.

Posted by PhatSeeJay

@scriptkittie said:

hahahahahaha I mean so many people got it for the sole purpose of seeing *how* bad it was

Pretty much this. And it wasn't even bad enough to be funny. I just got bored. Hell even Duke sounded bored.

Posted by 24f234f232323

hahahahahaha I mean so many people got it for the sole purpose of seeing *how* bad it was

Edited by MajorToms

I wonder how many copies of L.A. Noire have actually been sold. Every shop I go into has way too many copies sitting around.

Anyways, who thinks that Duke Nukem will be turned into a "Brah" character? He is the sort of chauvinistic jock of yesteryear, and that translates to the brahs of today. Dear god please don't be this silly Gearbox, Duke has more intelligence than the brahs of today. He needs to have a high level of suave and arrogance, but still be a complete meat head. Most brahs are just meatheads with low level suave and replace arrogance with ignorance.

Posted by Nomin

Duke is smug, as if to say, 'Suck it game journalists.'
Posted by Bigheart711
@Crunchman said:

BUT AT WHAT COST?

This.
Edited by Doctorchimp

Are we still talking about Duke?

Also how about a little clarification, is it just a profit for Zenimax after just buying the license and the assets wholesale? 

Or did it come close to the dollar amounts George Broussard squandered and pissed away? Those are the numbers I want to see.

Posted by bretthancock

Not surprised, all the talk about the amount of work they put into DNF had to be vastly over exaggerated. Bought it on the cheap, spend very few resources, and increase your profit margin. Honestly not a bad idea at all, that game was a turd that wasn't going to be turned around.

Posted by Herocide

Hopefully the reboot can redeem this stale franchise.

Posted by ckeats

The collectors edition is only $69.99 now. Even though the game is terrible, that box comes with some cool stuff.

Posted by Bucketdeth

Hail to the King baby!

Posted by crusader8463
@Crunchman said:

BUT AT WHAT COST?

$69.99 plus tax.
Posted by MordeaniisChaos

Good. Gearbox took a huge risk and I'd hate to have seen them lose money on anything. Remember this money goes to Borderlands 2!!!!!

Posted by ryanwho

I have a hard time believing they account for the salary of every person who worked on this over the past 12+ years when measuring their gains.

Posted by crusader8463

Of course it was profitable. It didn't matter how terrible it was, there were enough people who were going to buy it just because of the legacy of the games development let alone the casual walmart shoppers that don't know any better.

Posted by LethalKi11ler
@Crunchman said:

BUT AT WHAT COST?

Posted by zombie2011

Glad to hear it, i think Duke could be a good game if it wasn't just stitched together levels from however many years it was in development. I reboot could be good.

Posted by Crunchman

BUT AT WHAT COST?

Posted by Vadis

What has the world come to?

Posted by WJist

Got milk?

Posted by Gplo32Gplo32

Good for them!

Edited by ADarkMatter

Always Bet on Duke 

Posted by patrickklepek

We probably won't ever know the full story about the financials, but according to Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick, Duke Nukem Forever will be a profitable release for the company.

How profitable, however, is something we don't know.

The CEO revealed this interesting tidbit on yesterday's call with investors and analysts, where Take-Two announced a loss for the quarter, despite shipping more than four million copies of L.A. Noire.

Duke Nukem Forever's ending suggested the so-called king would return again, but who knows how long it'll be before Gearbox Software shows off Duke's inevitable reboot.

Gearbox certainly has its hands full at the moment, having just announced Borderlands 2, polishing up the oft-delayed Aliens: Colonial Marines for a release next spring and taking the Brothers in Arms series in a brand-new direction with the Borderlands-inspired Brothers in Arms: Furious 4.

Staff