163 Comments
  • 163 results
Posted by Deusoma

This looked a lot better than I was expecting it to, but I still didn't get a good feeling for what parts of it are free to play and which parts have a price tag, apart from the Crete stores and missions.

Posted by vizionblind

brad is simply terrible at video games

Posted by Aarny91
@BR4DL3I9H said:
I remember that in the original AOE if you used soldiers to kill the wildlife then the villagers couldn't harvest the meat from them; I guess my dudes were posion tipping their weapons or something. Was it the same in the later games? My memory fails me.
Yeah, in two you could harvest the meat if soldiers killed them.
Posted by JamesJiao

Priests can't heal when they are moving around or out of the range, Vinny. That's why you should group them separately.

Edited by JamesJiao
@LtColJaxson: Have you actually played the game? You do exactly the same with gates in this game. The only issue I see is you can't lock the gate like in aoe2 once it's open.

Edit: I see where you got the idea for that comment there. Just before Vinny destroyed the wall, having been confused by why the 'gate' didn't work, pause the video. You will see the icon for creating a gate to the lower right corner of the screen. Hee couldn't get his guys to 'go through the gate', because there wasn't one there to start with. 
Posted by LtColJaxson

I loved the previous games but would not buy this because of the different art direction. It's a lot less interesting now. Very similar gameplay and many of the same elements though - also in order to build gates.. at least in the older games... you just click on a section of the wall and it will open up an option at the bottom to turn it into a gate. 

Posted by BR4DL3I9H

I remember that in the original AOE if you used soldiers to kill the wildlife then the villagers couldn't harvest the meat from them; I guess my dudes were posion tipping their weapons or something. Was it the same in the later games? My memory fails me.

Posted by Addfwyn

Sorta interested in this, if they ever did port it to the mac (unlikely given publishers here) I'd probably try it. Of course I can boot camp but...doesn't quite look compelling enough to reboot to play when I already have civ and starcraft over on OSX side.

Edited by rpratts
@AngryRedPlumber said:

I would check this out if it was playable on a Mac. Oh well, I can't complain, I have SC2 and Civ5.

I Agreed!!!
Posted by Branthog

I downloaded this last week. Installed it. Launched it. Then couldn't quite figure out whether or not there was really anything "persistent" about it. It seemed like when you launch the game you're just in a 3D interface that allows you to then launch into one-off multiplayer games, which isn't really what I wanted. I just wanted a game that was like a fancier Travian. So . . . I uninstalled it without buying anything or playing a single game. I'd rather just play Civilization V if I'm going to play one-off versus games.

Posted by selbie

Those siege towers were all like UH UH UH UH UH

Posted by TheAdmin

@HerbieBug said:

oh fergodsakes Bradley you can read two lines of text to figure out what you're supposed to be doing. xD About that 100 smackers season pass thing they're peddling: that's a bad price point. They would have done better with something closer to, say, the regular retail price of a full game. People will pay $60 a whole lot faster and easier than $100.
Thats what I was thinking as well. Sure, I get content for 6 months or whatever but that still is more then a regular PC or Xbox game. Even with DLC. I think the prices need to be a zero over. So 40 points for decorations and 800 points per premium civ.
Edited by HerbieBug

Alright let's go kill stuff!  

*proceeds to build buildings and fiddle around for 15 minutes*

of my god those siege tower animations that's...  I don't... wow. 

Edited by HerbieBug

oh fergodsakes Bradley you can read two lines of text to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.   xD

About that 100 smackers season pass thing they're peddling:  that's a bad price point.  They would have done better with something closer to, say, the regular retail price of a full game.  People will pay $60 a whole lot faster and easier than $100. 

Posted by AngryRedPlumber

I would check this out if it was playable on a Mac. Oh well, I can't complain, I have SC2 and Civ5.

Posted by DoctorWelch

This makes me want to play...Starcraft...

No but seriously I always looooooved the age of empires games and I was kinda sad when the third one was a letdown and then the company basically got canned. I've been waiting to see what this is for a while and it actually seems really cool and makes me excited to play it. I am still in the tutorial missions but after watching this quicklook im pretty excited for whats to come.

Posted by BUCK3TM4N

GFWL is a lost cause unless microsoft invests some serious time to overhaul it

Posted by Romination

So the Egyptians are Zerg...

Posted by spilledmilkfactory

Color me surprised, this actually looks great

Posted by Sword5

Age of Mythologies is still on of my favorite games. This could be a good LoL break game.

Posted by xdaknightx69

hahaha the pricing is so messed up ( shareware crap ) , so glad i play eveonlne ...

Posted by MadMagyar92

Wow, I went into this thinking it'd be pretty bad. Honestly, for a free-to-play (or, at least free until you want something out of it) it isn't that bad! The graphics look quite nice, the game handles well, and the inclusion of MMO elements such as crafting, quests, and a sort of alliance system gives it surprising depth! They also seem to have borrowed and fused elements from Age of Mythology, which I love! Of course, I won't shell out $20 for a single civilization, so I won't be getting this, but if this is the future of free-to-play and not, say, Farmville, I can get behind it, so long as regular disc games still exist.
Posted by Xpgamer7

@JoeyRavn: I agree, a lot of games could be fun as FTP but this shouldn't have been one of them.

Posted by Chirag4

Egypt aint the far East.

Posted by JimmyRedd

Truly, this is the age of empires.

Posted by KarateKid

I gotta say I really like the way who's doing / sitting in on the quick look changes the feel of it.

Ryan and Vinny usually makes for funnier more humour QLs, while Jeff and Brads QLs usually are more informative and in a slightly more serious tone.

And then ofc you have the QLs that mixes them together, or throws a Drew or Dave in there.

tldr: I like giantbomb QLs =)

Posted by PhanThomas

@Eqtriz: ROGAN?

Posted by Eqtriz

WOLOLO!

Posted by Marokai

I find their lack of AoE knowledge amusing. Jeff being impressed by mechanics that were in AoE2 and AoE3 in particular.

Also I found how Brad was furiously hitting all sorts of buttons and clicking everywhere for no reason really bothersome, though I know I'm being petty. This isn't Starcraft, dude. You're not impressing the AI by how many buttons you can click in a number of seconds.

Aside from that, I find the game neat, it's just a shame that it actually costs a shit-ton to actually play. There's no way in hell I'm paying 20 dollars for each individual civ. Especially for someone like myself that enjoys playing different things. I find it frightening how microtransaction games are actually insanely more expensive to play than a normal game if you want to play the whole thing.

Posted by Grilledcheez

New AoE game? Cool. It looks like the basic formula still holds up.

Posted by dprabon

Hah, I played the beta. Pretty fun

Posted by funnymonkys

This game is a lot like Age of Mythology, but without the mythology to the greeks and egyptians 

Posted by selbie

Ugh. It was frustrating to watch two guys who haven't even touched an AoE game. Why didn't they get Vinny, Drew or Dave?

Posted by AnotherSomebody

Yes, this is pretty much exactly like previous AOE games (although it reminds me more of Age of Mythology), and to make gates you simply click on a wall segment and select the option that appears in the bottom right corner.

Posted by Curufinwe

@Sammo21 said:

@Curufinwe: Nope. The horse armor comparison is about overpriced DLC...I would called $20 a civ or $100 for all clearly in the lines of "overpriced".

You're just trying to be snarky.

No, your comparison just isn't valid because the amount of gameplay content you get from an AOEO civ is infinitely more than you got from horse armor.
Posted by tourgen

LOL paid missions.  I don't know look O.K., maybe even worth $20.

Posted by Scotto

@thebigJ_A said:

Lame you have to pay separately for each civilization, when they seem to just be skins.

If they are anything like the previous AoE games, they are most definitely NOT just skins.

$20 for a premium civ seems reasonable to me, when you consider that most people will probably just main as one civilization.

And once you've dropped that $20, the entire game is pretty much open to you.

- Scott

Edited by ziropiro

It looks well designed but the cost of the content is obscene. 20 dollars per race? 5 dollars for shrubs?

Posted by thebigJ_A

I was waiting for Jeff to go, "No, Brad. I do not have advisers. For the fifth damn time!"

Posted by Klaimore

Ok lets cut to the chase.. is there a "All Units" button?

Edited by thebigJ_A

Lame you have to pay separately for each civilization, when they seem to just be skins.

Posted by Mars_Cleric

@NarcolepticBat said:

@lumberingjackal said:

Am I wrong in thinking that this seems like AoE3 with expanded home city and new graphics.

Yeah, cuz its AoE2 with expanded home city, new graphics and 30 more hours of single player content.

it also looks like it's got some Age of Mythology in there too

Posted by scottbee

I'd say there's less incentive to get gear if "your character" cant wear it.

Posted by NarcolepticBat
@lumberingjackal said:

Am I wrong in thinking that this seems like AoE3 with expanded home city and new graphics.

Yeah, cuz its AoE2 with expanded home city, new graphics and 30 more hours of single player content.
Posted by lumberingjackal

Posted by thepotatoman

I loved this series so much that i even wrote like a 50 page guide for just the AOE3 multiplayer mode, but this one is just an absolute snooze. The single player is like one very very long bland tutorial and the multiplayer feels too MMO like where people with better loot have the advantage.

Still I have a few pro tips for brad or anyone else who wants to get in this game.

1. The fundies for Starcraft is the same as the fundies for AOE, so always be building villagers, always keep your money low, never miss houses and never use the queue. This means you will need to pretty much every villager on food to start.

2. Hunting is faster then gathering berries is faster then farms so obviously prioritize hunting and use farms as last resort. This also makes map control important PvP if you decide to do that.

3. The priest doesn't just make things build faster but also increases gathering rates so always have one on your town center and resource dropoff buildings.

4. Why not use the waypoint on your town center? Seems like a waste of time to select every villager that pops out and tell him where to go.

5. Gates are built like an upgrade and can be found by clicking on the section of wall you want to build it. Harass is super easy in AoE compared to SC because the chokes are so numerous and wide, so walls are pretty necessary pvp

Posted by Rhaknar
@WinterSnowblind said:

@Rhaknar: Yeah, the multiplayer can pretty much be totally ignored. The basic free version of the game is basically a demo, but if you download it and give it a try, that should give you a pretty good idea of how the game works.

so say i buy 1 civ, thats like a full game for 20bucks/euros? well a full game with only 1 civ of course... that doesnt sound that bad to me
Posted by kalmis

AoE2 was great game. This doesn't look too bad either, well except for the on your take your money stuff.

Posted by Chumm

There are parts of this quicklook that sound like they're playing AoE2.

"What's a market?"

"They give you a scout at the beginning, that's nice of them."

"It's cool because you can hunt for food, but the boars fight back so you might want to use a soldier to kill them".

The progression seems kinda slow. I'd gladly pay for a new AoE game but buying a civ and going through MMO mode sounds... wait it sounds awesome. I think. Quests seem repetitive but gear rewards are so good for the lizard brain.

Posted by WinterSnowblind

@Rhaknar: Yeah, the multiplayer can pretty much be totally ignored. The basic free version of the game is basically a demo, but if you download it and give it a try, that should give you a pretty good idea of how the game works.

• 163 results