115 Comments
  • 115 results
Posted by patrickklepek

There aren't many special editions of games that I'd consider investing in, but Nintendo's got my attention with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which will come bundled with a gold Wii remote. Cue a really, really heavy sigh.

The bundle is priced at $69.99, while the regular edition is your typical $49.99. In the initial production run of Skyward Sword, however, every copy will come with a soundtrack CD sporting orchestral arrangements spanning the whole franchise.

My favorite thing about this, however, is Nintendo's explanation for the lack of actual gold.

Sorry. For whatever reason, reading that on Nintendo's website cracks me up.

Alongside the bundle, Nintendo confirmed a new version of Tetris for 3DS called Tetris: Axis, arriving on October 2, and Professor Layton and the Last Specter for the original DS. As a surprise bonus, the latest Professor Layton includes the Brownie Brown-developed Professor Layton's London Life, apparently a 100-hour (!) RPG, with visuals awfully like Mother 3.

That sounds legitimately awesome.

Skyward Sword is scheduled for November 20.

Staff
Edited by wumbo3000

Wow gold? Jeez Nintendo.

Edited by Max_Hydrogen

Doesn't seem really worth it. The Wii is past its prime and paying 20$ extra for a gold colored remote looks like a cash grab unless bringing it with you when you play your friend on their Wii U tickles your fancy...

Maybe if they made a Master Sword controller...

Edited by Ratcabbage

*Note that I'm not interrested unless it contains at least two precious metals. Sorry.
Posted by Hailinel

A little humor in a press release never hurts. But man, a 100-hour RPG in a Professor Layton game? Now that is crazy. The good kind.

Posted by DougQuaid
  Fuck that!
Posted by Zolfe

no matter how many times Nintendo does this, Zelda will never stand out to me as a "gold"-themed series

Posted by TheGreatGuero

I am intrigued by the bundle, but I'll stick to the regular edition.

Posted by CookieMonster

Dat shit would luk gd on ma chain, dawg.

Posted by StarvingGamer

Aergh wasn't even going to buy this game at all and now am going to be $70 poorer, fuck you Nintendo I love you!

Posted by rjayb89

AW SHEEIT PROFESSOR LAYTON SON

Posted by briangodsoe

I want that controller and I don't care who knows it! I HAVE NO PRIDE!!!! 

Plus I don't own a motion plus and this game is the only reason to have one. And I would look pretty slick with my golden classic controller. And, you know, I might actually play my wii.

Posted by Gladiator_Games

Ah, its nice to see a return to RPGs you need to believe in reincarnation to get enough time to finish! ONWARD!

Posted by MrAristocrates

People were worried that Layton wasn't going to come out at all due to the RPG. Glad to see it's back on track.

Posted by Marz

reminds me of the old days when the NES cartridge was colored gold.

Posted by Turambar

@Max_Hydrogen said:

Doesn't seem really worth it. The Wii is past its prime and paying 20$ extra for a gold colored remote looks like a cash grab unless bringing it with you when you play your friend on their Wii U tickles your fancy...

The game requires wii motion plus, and this is their way of packaging it in with the game.

Posted by Yamoto

Great job.....only 4 hours to late  

Posted by DonutFever

IMA GONNA BUY DAT LAY'ON, AN I GONNA BUY DAT GOLD WEMOTE, BUT DERE AIN'T NO 'AY IN HELL I BUYING DAT TETRIS.

Edited by TomA

The title reminded me of this: 

Posted by Cincaid

@Yamoto said:

Great job.....only 4 hours to late

Holy shit man, that's like your tenth post today sounding like a bitter, miserable and sad person. Liven up!

Posted by streek471

Layton dated? Awesome. And the special edition is convenient for me since I need Wii Motion+ anyway. All in all, glad to see this news. Don't give 2 shits about Tetris though since Tetris DS is all i'll ever need.

Posted by Vortextk

Is this like a concession?

http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/index.html

I'm still playing that even if NOA is...well..."awesome".

Posted by Arceion
@CrazyChris: @Yamoto:  what he said
Posted by kollay

"Brownie Brown" seems so dirty to me.

Posted by Hef

@Max_Hydrogen: I bought my wii at launch and as such only have 1 controller. I need a wiimote plus, which is $20 anyways for that stupid add on. I'd say it makes perfect sense for me to buy that bundle, wouldn't you?

Posted by Shaanyboi

Okay.  I'm down.  I might even pony up for that special edition.

Posted by Eribuster

The edition with the Wii Remote Plus interests me somewhat since I have yet to have four Wii Remotes for my somewhat-recently purchased Wii. I like the box art. Shame the case isn't gold-colored.

Posted by norfair187

I never thought they'd include the soundtrack cd with the game. That's great news! 

Posted by Video_Game_King

I think you know what I'm going to say regarding the announcement of semi-obscure games getting dated for localization.

Posted by GioVANNI

I just sold my Wii, so I don't care about this!

I kind of regret selling my Wii now...

Posted by Mr_Skeleton

No actual gold? Fuck this shit.

Posted by metalsnakezero

Does it come with a golden condom for the wii-remote?

Posted by Zanthox

I'm assuming we still have to buy a wii motion plus separately if we don't have one? It does still require it, does it not?

Posted by ghostofst4rm4n

You had me at Mother 3... Now what's all the rest of this stuff announced? 

Posted by Tan

Looks awesome! Can't wait.

Posted by onan

@Turambar said:

@Max_Hydrogen said:

The game requires wii motion plus, and this is their way of packaging it in with the game.

Considering buying the remote separately is $40, even if you have no interest in it you have to acknowledge it's a pretty good deal. We've all seen special editions that attempt to fleece the consumer -- This isn't one of them. Pick your battles, man.

Edited by Zippedbinders

I am all kinds of excited for this. Both Zelda and Layton. I had completely forgotten about the 4th Layton game, and a long ass RPG as a minigame? 

Pretty sure this is all I'm going to need for the rest of the year.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

I'm assuming that's a WiiMotion Plus WiiMote. Without that, the game's unplayable! 

Posted by Claude

I'm going GOLD.

Posted by Kyle

Considering that Skyward Sword will most likely be the last Wii game I ever buy, now doesn't seem like a great time to invest in a new Wii Remote.

Posted by Max_Hydrogen

@onan said:

@Turambar said:

@Max_Hydrogen said:

Considering buying the remote separately is $40, even if you have no interest in it you have to acknowledge it's a pretty good deal. We've all seen special editions that attempt to fleece the consumer -- This isn't one of them. Pick your battles, man.

You mean buying the Gold Remote separately? If it's not worth an extra 20$ would someone buy it separately for 40$ and not play Skyward Sword with it?

"Pick you battles". Yeah, thanks for the advice; I'll be sure to do just that (hint of sarcasm...)

Posted by MeatSim

I wanna know who thought that this would be made of actual gold.

Posted by BoG

I am most excited about a 100-hour Professor Layton RPG. Count me in!

Posted by Max_Hydrogen

@Hef said:

@Max_Hydrogen: I bought my wii at launch and as such only have 1 controller. I need a wiimote plus, which is $20 anyways for that stupid add on. I'd say it makes perfect sense for me to buy that bundle, wouldn't you?

It would make just as much "perfect sense" for you to buy that stupid add-on.

Edited by ptys

Would be nice for Nintendo to release a new Zelda mid-life cycle of one of their consoles again.The Wii's age can only negate any great work they've done. Lets hope the remake it for the Wii U launch.

Posted by TehFlan
@Max_Hydrogen said:

@Hef said:

It would make just as much "perfect sense" for you to buy that stupid add-on.

He'd be paying the same amount of money and not getting the soundtrack. What is your problem?
Posted by jasonefmonk

@Max_Hydrogen said:

@onan said:

@Turambar said:

@Max_Hydrogen said:

You mean buying the Gold Remote separately? If it's not worth an extra 20$ would someone buy it separately for 40$ and not play Skyward Sword with it?

"Pick you battles". Yeah, thanks for the advice; I'll be sure to do just that (hint of sarcasm...)

Max I think he's just talking about the cost of a Wii Remote in general. They probably won't sell the Zelda remote à la carte. And onan is right in saying most special editions don't give you that value. ... Arkham Asylum.

Posted by Brendan

The "Cash for Gold" title made me burst out laughing.

Posted by Turambar

@Max_Hydrogen said:

@onan said:

@Turambar said:

@Max_Hydrogen said:

You seem to have a misunderstanding about the hardware. Skyward Sword needs the Wii Motion Plus add-on for the Wii-mote to be played. That add-on is 40 dollars. The gold wii-mote packaged in the limited edition is a Wii-mote Plus, which has wii motion plus built into the controller. So for someone who wants to play Skyward Sword but didn't buy a Motion Plus, this saves them 20 dollars. For those that already do, the normal 50 dollar sku is there for that reason.

Posted by The_Nubster

Twenty more bucks for Motion+ and soundtrack sounds alright to me.

• 115 results