93 Comments
  • 93 results
Posted by ShadowConqueror

Nemt is the only one I agree with so far.
Posted by Sweep

@BoG said:

I'm a Mormon, and people think it's pretty cool to hate on us. Doesn't bother me too much, but it happens fairly often.

We love you really, BoG ;)

Edited by nemt

@Vodun said:

@nemt: Assholes like you are what make people discriminate against atheism. Your atheism isn't a lack of belief in the super natural or religion, and trust in science and logic. It is a hate of others based on their beliefs. Just the same as a Christian hating a Jew because "they killed Jesus". Grow up you little, little person.

You must be kind of stupid if you can't distinguish between hating actions/choices and hating the people behind them. I freely admit I hate the stupid, backwards things Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc. do. People who choose to abandon logic and reason (what philosophers would tell you separates humans from the rest of the world's animals) and instead cling to ancient superstition and long debunked mysticism harm us ALL. You're unable to tolerate anyone going against the "derp derp we're all the same, everyone's mutually exclusive beliefs are equally valid" nonsense worldview shoved on you by the media, apparently.

I'd say you're the one who needs to grow up, but I have a feeling you'll still be pretty stupid even after you get out of your awkward teen years.

@kashif1:

Come on kashif, that wasn't so offensive. If I wanted to offend you I'd start pointing out how you follow an illiterate medieval pedophile, or gyrate around a fake meteorite, or starve yourself for a month because you think a divine being will smiteth ye after you're dead otherwise. But yeah, stick with Islam. It's totally a winner religion. Good moral code too.

EDIT: And on a different note I noticed someone claimed midgets were used as comic relief in Game of Thrones. I haven't read the books, but I'm a fan of the series and as far as I know Tyrion is the only midget they've introduced. While he has a lot of witty lines, he isn't used for "comic relief." He's an important character central to many of the plots and furthermore he's one of the only major male characters who isn't an accomplished fighter. If anything he shows how a dwarf could succeed in a world particularly hostile to them. Not sure where anyone would get "comic relief" from short of a severe misunderstanding of what the term means.

Posted by ShadowConqueror
@Vodun said:

@nemt: Assholes like you are what make people discriminate against atheism. Your atheism isn't a lack of belief in the super natural or religion, and trust in science and logic. It is a hate of others based on their beliefs. Just the same as a Christian hating a Jew because "they killed Jesus". Grow up you little, little person.

Hey, let's not offend the little people here.
Posted by GoodKn1ght

.@JasonR86: Yeah they still exist, haven't we've all know that? However that comercial is a real band. There is a group of little people that formed a kiss tribute band. http://www.minikiss.com/ So while I get your point, the comercial I don't think is offensive if people actually knew it was a band

Posted by Meowshi
@Alex_Murphy said:
@KarmaPoliceman said:

Dislike is not the entirety of discrimination. Very few people dislike small people, but they are treated differently to us because they are small.

Well everybody is treated differently to some extent. Good looking people are treated better than ugly people.
And this is truly the worst discrimination of all.  
Posted by Alex_Murphy
@KarmaPoliceman said:

Dislike is not the entirety of discrimination. Very few people dislike small people, but they are treated differently to us because they are small.

Well everybody is treated differently to some extent. Good looking people are treated better than ugly people.
Posted by S0ndor

All I know is that I hate gypsies. Then again, most of Europe does.

Posted by jetsetwillie

i think a lot of the time people are to sensitive and get offended to easy.  especially the religions.  

im an atheist and if something offends me then i just don't read/watch/listen to it. i dont have the right to not be offended. 

Posted by Meowshi
@Alex_Murphy said:
I didn't know midgets were that discriminated against. They seemed to be treated just like anyone else in Time Bandits, Seinfeld, even Jackass. The last poll I saw had the most disliked people from least to most were; Jews, recent immigrants, conservative christians, hispanics, homosexuals, muslims, and at the top with a 39,6% disliked were atheists.
And all those groups hate each other!   

It's the circle of life.
Edited by KarmaPoliceman

@Alex_Murphy: Dislike is not the entirety of discrimination. Very few people dislike small people, but they are treated differently to us because they are small.

Posted by KarmaPoliceman

@Vodun said:

It's hopefully just teenage angst. He'll probably grow out of it. Or maybe he's just a dick.

Edited by Alex_Murphy

I didn't know midgets were that discriminated against. They seemed to be treated just like anyone else in Time Bandits, Seinfeld, even Jackass. The last poll I saw had the most disliked people from least to most were; Jews, recent immigrants, conservative christians, hispanics, homosexuals, muslims, and at the top with a 39,6% disliked were atheists.

Edited by Meowshi
@ryanwho said:

Midgets were comic relief in Willow, Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings. Its kind of hilarious that you mentioned 3 specific things where dwarves served distinctly as comic relief.

I haven't seen Willow, but you are absolutely full of shit with those two other examples.   Dinklage's character in GoT is charismatic and witty, but he's as much a part of the drama as anyone else.  I can't even begin to think of how Elijah Wood's performance in LotR could be considered comic relief, then again, he's not actually a dwarf.  
Posted by Vodun

Posted by Zithe

@tfsteefs: So, forgive me if I'm wrong here...but it seems like your entire argument in this thread is that one group is discriminated against more than another and you somehow only have the capability to care about one of them?

Posted by ryanwho

Midgets were comic relief in Willow, Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings. Its kind of hilarious that you mentioned 3 specific things where dwarves served distinctly as comic relief.

Posted by allworkandlowpay

@tfsteefs said:

lol @ the idea of atheists being 'oppressed' in the first world.

just a quick q: have atheists been denied health care, employment, housing & education based on that fact? have atheists been murdered for being atheist?

No, yes, yes and yes, actually.

While I haven't seen someone be denied health care for being an atheist, it would hardly be the weirdest thing for an insurance provider to have done. As for the rest, I can list one of many examples down the line:

EMPLOYMENT

Just going to give one example of many for each.

Amanda Donaldson is a former employee of Eldorado Chiropractic, a “Christ-oriented office,” in McKinney, Texas. Her claim is that upon her employer’s discovery that she is an atheist he became discontent and immediately displayed animosity toward having an atheist working within his business. Soon after this information came to light Amanda had to take time off from work due to breast cancer surgery and rehabilitation. She further claims that on her first day back to work she was fired and the main cause behind it was her lack of belief ...

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-dallas/religion-the-workplace-an-atheist-s-battle-against-discrimination-pt-1

HOUSING

I could probably list a hundred accounts of many teenage atheists "coming out" to their parents, only to be left abandoned and homeless after they were kicked out of their parent's homes. My friend was one of these. In addition, there was at least one case that comes to mind where a homeowner was kicked out of a closed gated community. Can't find a link to the story currently, but if I dig it up I'll edit it back in.

EDUCATION

An atheist student was expelled from college because they questioned another students beliefs.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/Content?oid=84436&category=22101

An atheist student was targeted by both teachers and students, sometimes with even death threats, for opposing a prayer ceremony during his public high school graduation.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/151086/high_school_student_stands_up_against_prayer_at_public_school_and_is_ostracized%2C_demeaned_and_threatened/

MURDERED

On October 18, 2004, Arthur Shelton, a self described Christian and Eagle Scout, murdered his friend and roommate, Larry Hooper, because Hooper didn't believe in God.

http://www.parallelpac.org/murder.htm

All just one of many.

Are atheists the most discriminated group in America? Hardly. Are they discriminated against? Absolutely.

They are also the most hated and reviled group in America as of Sept 2009.

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2009/09/19/research-finds-that-atheists-are-most-hated-and-distrusted-minority/

Atheists are come in first over Muslims and Homosexuals.

Posted by dudeglove

This will be beautiful.

Posted by Meowshi
@arcn said:
@billyhoush: I know right? I can't stand these atheist "extremists", they always go around blowing up churches and trying to pass laws that take away peoples rights, why won't these extremist's stop oppressing everyone?!??!??!?!??!?
You don't really do anything because you lack a belief in something. 
Posted by scarace360

Still fat people could lose some fucking wight its just getting ugly.

Posted by arcn
@billyhoush: I know right? I can't stand these atheist "extremists", they always go around blowing up churches and trying to pass laws that take away peoples rights, why won't these extremist's stop oppressing everyone?!??!??!?!??!?
Posted by NTM
@Helimocopter said:
@NTM said:
I don't discriminate, I humiliate, dissociate, expropriate, eliminate, and incriminate.
reprobate. 
Yes, and finally... masturbate.
Posted by Helimocopter
@NTM said:
I don't discriminate, I humiliate, dissociate, expropriate, eliminate, and incriminate.
reprobate. 
Posted by CaLe

Bald people and small men have a tougher time than those with a thick head of hair and are of above average height.

Edited by RJMacReady

It is also socially acceptable to discriminate against individuals of certain races for mate selection. While the state will "ARRANGE" economic relationships of buyers and sellers, or employer/ee when they fail because of race discrimination the state and even individuals would never pressure an openly racist white man for refusing to date a black girl.

Posted by NTM

Edited by kashif1
@nemt said:

Atheists, a plurality in America (a vast amount of Christians are crypto-atheists) are openly discriminated against every day.

Discriminating against people who choose openly choose to pray to an imaginary sky pal five times a day and gyrate around a fake meteorite (Muslims) is not comparable to people who ignore these and other idiotic superstitions. 

There might be a reason why you personally have felt discrimination, you've mannaged to offend every muslim here, which happens to include me. 

@JasonR86: 

Thank you for making this post, it's nice too know that there are good people here.  Also I've never really thought of little people as being discriminated against until I read you post. 

Posted by hwy_61

I think prejudice of LGBT people is really fucked up, and it's for some reason, a social norm to discriminate these people. Especially by people of faith. It seems like the ONE group that's never gonna get equality across the board.

Posted by Ben99

This is the world you live in . Stupidity is everywhere . Opposing factions and different opinions have been prevalent since forever . 
It's part of life and you can't change it .

Edited by Gerhabio

Nice post.

That thing about the special IDs for Islamic believers is awful, and terribly redolent of the David star bands the Nazis forced upon Jewish people.

@HandsomeDead said:

No, you're right; let's like everything and love everyone be because everyone is special and awesome and deserves to be loved.

You don't have to love everyone (certainly you don't have to agree with everyone), but having an understanding of common human dignity and respecting that of others is the definition of peace.

Posted by Vinny_Says

ooohhh there's always that one group of people who we have no choice but to be prejudice against because it's obvious they should not exist. They are a detrement to society....yeah you all know who I'm talking about.

Communists

Posted by PrivateIronTFU
@MrKlorox said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@HandsomeDead said:
@PrivateIronTFU said:
Let's just all agree to be nice and kind to one another. Except HandsomeDead. For obvious reasons. Edit: Also, nemt.
You are tragically bitter.
Haha. Yeah, I'm the bitter one.

Dude is a self hater projecting his flaws onto others. Fuck him thoroughly.

Normally I'd just feel sorry for him. But he makes that damn near impossible. 
Posted by MrKlorox

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@HandsomeDead said:
@PrivateIronTFU said:
Let's just all agree to be nice and kind to one another. Except HandsomeDead. For obvious reasons. Edit: Also, nemt.
Haha. Yeah, I'm the bitter one.

Dude is a self hater projecting his flaws onto others. Fuck him thoroughly.

Posted by MrKlorox

Slavery used to be accepted in the South over a hundred years ago; therefore all the people who live there today, regardless of how much they disagree with the things that happened in that area in the past, must be shit. Right?

Posted by salad10203

Dude, we are infinitely better than most places in the world.  If you're a migit people might have their personal prejudices, but you have just as many rights as everybody else.  I hate bigotry as much as the next person, but to act as if the U.S. is  a haven for prejudice is to undermine real prejudice that exist elsewhere. 

Posted by PrivateIronTFU
@HandsomeDead said:
@PrivateIronTFU said:
Let's just all agree to be nice and kind to one another. Except HandsomeDead. For obvious reasons.  Edit: Also, nemt.
Haha. Yeah, I'm the bitter one. 
Posted by Meowshi
@hoossy said:
The little guy in Game of Thrones is pretty awesome... him being of small stature kinda adds to it...  just sayin'
The issue is, that this is one of the only times a midget character hasn't been portrayed as an utter joke. At least that I can think of.  
Posted by hoossy

The little guy in Game of Thrones is pretty awesome... him being of small stature kinda adds to it... 

just sayin'

Posted by HandsomeDead
@PrivateIronTFU said:
Let's just all agree to be nice and kind to one another. Except HandsomeDead. For obvious reasons.  Edit: Also, nemt.
Posted by Inkerman

Little people, sure, they get a lot of shit, but I think that's something that they'll have to deal with. I went to school with a guy who was both a dwarf and gay, no-one gave him any shit over it. Now fat people on the other hand, they have a choice in the matter, and I fully support things like them paying for two seats on aeroplanes if they weigh over X amount. 

On the wider issue of racism and stuff, I live in Australia, which is widely accepted as one of the most racist places in the world, but the key difference is is that racism isn't generally malicious. It generally doesn't appear in advertising or anything like that, nor are people excluded from anything because of their race, but it's something everyone grows up with here. And it's not just whites on everyone else. I have a friend who's Greek, she actually calls herself a wog, I have another who's Muslim, and I was talking to her about her fasting, and putting out how dumb it was she wasn't allowed to drink water during the day, considering her people come from the desert. It's just lower level stuff, but it's everywhere, and it's something you get used to (and in many cases embrace). In fact I think this prevalence of lower level racism is why Australia is one of the few places multiculturalism has been successful, because as soon as anyone gets uppity about their culture, they get knocked down a peg.

Posted by Dunchad

Some good responses in this thread. I agree with OP in the sense that there is no need to rub your disapproval of someone in their face.

I dislike a good majority of people, mostly because their beliefs/behaviour are illogical to me. But I don't tell them that - what would be the point? If someone is overweight, you can be sure that they know it already and probably feel shitty about it - there's nothing to be gained by pointing it out or worse, mocking them because of it.

Fanatics are the main issue in my opinion - not restricted to religion either. I think it's fine to discriminate fanatics, be it christians, muslims or bieberites because that way, we can hope that they'll eventually realize their mistakes. Though then again, adversity can sometimes make groups like that even more dedicated - so who knows how they should be handled.

Posted by PrivateIronTFU
@EuanDewar said:
@PrivateIronTFU
Let's just all agree to be nice and kind to one another. Except HandsomeDead. For obvious reasons. 

Edit: Also, nemt.
Be nasty to me, please. I need this.
Well, if that's what you really want, then I'll oblige.
Posted by EuanDewar
@PrivateIronTFU
Let's just all agree to be nice and kind to one another. Except HandsomeDead. For obvious reasons. 

Be nasty to me, please.

I need this.
Edited by PrivateIronTFU

Edited by cnlmullen

@Azteris said:

I don't see the problem with judging people for their actions. Most people who are overweight aren't overweight because of a thyroid issue or anything that's outside of their control. So I don't understand the need to make everyone feel sorry for people that largely do it to themselves.

Well, discrimination(e.g. I'm not hiring you) is generally considered a little more serious than judging (e.g. I don't approve of you).

But when you think about actions, and the role both environment and biology play in forming them, it becomes pretty much irrational to even judge anyone based on their behavior. It's unreasonable to expect anyone to be able to abstain from all judgement, but its worth considering that those feelings don't really have a basis in logic.

Posted by Azteris

I don't see the problem with judging people for their actions. Most people who are overweight aren't overweight because of a thyroid issue or anything that's outside of their control. So I don't understand the need to make everyone feel sorry for people that largely do it to themselves.

• 93 results