113 Comments
  • 113 results
Posted by super2j

anybody know when this will be enacted? cause i was interested in joining up with batman.

Posted by Kordesh

@Turambar said:

The limitations placed on mail and chat functions for free players is kind of absurd...

That's more or less how SoE and the majority of the "f2p" model rolls. The lack of a barrier to entry seems great, until you realize what has been done to the game and the shift in development focus from "make it fun so they stay" to "sweet jesus push that cash shop so far down their throat they'll have to crap it back out".

Edited by zombiesatemycereal

@McShank said:

@Boopie said:

I am going to say there is no way in hell the PS3 version will be free to download but I am usually wrong about everything

sony are not as cheap and assholeish about their online service as Microsoft is, so good chance it will be free to DL since its their own company's game.

It's already been confirmed to be free on PS3 on the psn blog http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/19/dc-universe-online-for-ps3-is-going-free-to-play/

Posted by unordinarily

I...just want to create characters...I'm in.

Posted by MetalMoog

I'm definitely excited about this. I played the beta for 1 day and really enjoyed it, but wasn't willing to buy the game and pay a monthly fee to play it on console. The fact that it's free to play now AND we get the game free off PSN is fantastic. Good move Sony.

Posted by Solh0und

NOW I have a reason to buy the PS3 version. This just made my day....

Posted by Scodiac

@WinterSnowblind said:

@McShank said:

What i want to know is if you had bought the game and paid to play it before it goes f2p, do we get something for all the money we put into it? Like free premium for 3months? forever? Or do we all get fucked and have to keep paying to keep what we had while others can play for free?

You paid for what they were offering at the time, they owe you nothing.. Like I said in my last post, I find it pretty hard to have any sympathy. Everyone and their dog saw this coming.

Actually, yeah, if you bought the game before this then you get upgraded to Premium automatically for the lifetime of your account.

Posted by Summoboomo

I am going to download this game and do nothing but make and delete characters all day, as I did in the beta.

Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam

You know, everyone assumes that Blizzard will once again dominate the MMO market with Titan, but I have my doubts. They've never been given an impetus to change things up because people love buying Blizzard products (justifiably so most of the time), so what happens if Titan releases with the same $15/month fee as WoW? The MMO model is changing rapidly, and if developers are unwilling to change with it (especially with the rumored casual nature of Titan) they may be left behind.

Sorry if that seemed like an unrelated tangent, but these F2P stories are popping up at an insane rate.

Posted by Gav47
Posted by Nightfang

@Scodiac said:

I'll be playing again.

Edited by CornBREDX

I would like to apologize to those who said DC Universe Online would be Free to Play within a year. On this very website. I decried this saying DCUO was a fresh idea that could possibly carry them pretty far if they kept up with new content that was interesting and fun. I played for a little while then quit it so I don't know much about it anymore (I quit for my own reasons, not cus the game isn't any good- it's alright) but I never expected at the time it might change pay models.

Anywho, sorry- I totally did not expect it although with the rate of this game getting much needed UI improvements (Did they ever actually make the PC UI any good?) it started to feel like a bad sign. I guess I should've known haha

Posted by Maotou

Played the beta and it was a good bit of fun, so I'll probably give old DCU another play. Although the free account option is looking pretty bare bones compared to other F2P MMO's.

Posted by sins_of_mosin

I'll give it a go now.

Posted by gigapower

Ha, I might actually try this out now.

Posted by Lurkero

I had a feeling Sony knew this would come so they wanted to start charging at first to make as much money as they could from subscribers before going with the business model they should have in the first place.

Posted by Shakezula84

If this means I can download the game for free from the PlayStation Store (instead of its current price) then I'll be all over this. I'd love to have a free to play MMO available on my console.

Posted by Kombat

Those restrictions are pretty god-awful. Seriously, you can't even trade with other players? I won't even give this the benefit of a download to my machine.

Posted by President_Barackbar

This is your fate BioWare, take a good, HARD look...

Posted by afjkidd5

I think I'll jump back in. It really wasn't worth it for how much it cost per month.

Posted by TheSmashing

predictable

Posted by EmoMcGee

Well, it's pretty amusing how they specify that game updates will be free across every type of account. You know, as if anyone would be silly enough to pay for bug fixes...

Posted by CrimsonNoir

I enjoyed my time in the beta, but not enough to pay a subscription. I might have to jump back in, they're obviously trying to keep a population.

Posted by Quacktastic

I never play MMOs, but I'll try it.  Hard to complain about a free game out of nowhere.

Edited by Xeirus

@davo said:

Well, it's pretty amusing how they specify that game updates will be free across every type of account. You know, as if anyone would be silly enough to pay for bug fixes...

I'll direct you back to the Gears of War video for the gun skins.....

Posted by Xeirus

@President_Barackbar said:

This is your fate BioWare, take a good, HARD look...

Yeah, I get that feeling too, kind of makes me sad :/

Posted by Demyx

Sure I'd try it. But with those restrictions, I won't really play enough of it.

Posted by thetrin

This is pretty great news. I love F2P MMOs.

Posted by geddoe

It really sucks when these games take functionality away to get people to pay. The limits for free players are awful.

Posted by Teran

@geddoe: Eh? Honestly I thought they looked better than most F2p games... the only one I think is a little on the cheap side is the 2 character limit.

Posted by FacestabMan

About fucking time. I bought it, and I would hope for premium access without wasting a cent, but hey.

Posted by McShank

@Scodiac said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@McShank said:

What i want to know is if you had bought the game and paid to play it before it goes f2p, do we get something for all the money we put into it? Like free premium for 3months? forever? Or do we all get fucked and have to keep paying to keep what we had while others can play for free?

You paid for what they were offering at the time, they owe you nothing.. Like I said in my last post, I find it pretty hard to have any sympathy. Everyone and their dog saw this coming.

Actually, yeah, if you bought the game before this then you get upgraded to Premium automatically for the lifetime of your account.

Dont lie to me.. No one is that nice to people.. And if this is some magical truth then i wonder if i have to pay for my account again before it happens to work or if it just gets promoted automatically as long as i had an existing account. If that is true then I am giving it more of my life once again. otherwise i think it will sit in the *Shame* pile of games that could have been awesome but turned out to be boring POS (No Green lantern choices at start!) that cost to much.

Edited by Scodiac

@McShank said:

@Scodiac said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@McShank said:

Dont lie to me.. No one is that nice to people.. And if this is some magical truth then i wonder if i have to pay for my account again before it happens to work or if it just gets promoted automatically as long as i had an existing account. If that is true then I am giving it more of my life once again. otherwise i think it will sit in the *Shame* pile of games that could have been awesome but turned out to be boring POS (No Green lantern choices at start!) that cost to much.

I'm not lying and I'm not just talking out of my ass like WinterSnowblind. Check out the playstation blog http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/19/dc-universe-online-for-ps3-is-going-free-to-play/#utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=DCuniverse_091911 for the solid details. You get Premium for life without having to pay more. You will have to pay for DLC packs in the future though. People who decide to continue paying 15/month get the DLC for free.

Posted by Eyz

Awesome! I might actually finally give this one a try :P

Edited by CitizenJP

City of Heroes ftw.

Edited by WinterSnowblind

@Scodiac: If you were a subscriber, you are automatically upgraded to a premium member yes. But so is anyone who spends $5 on the store at any point. How does that make it up for the people who've been paying $15 a month for almost a year? They get NOTHING extra over new players who buy only one DLC pack.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the game itself.. Just saying that the game should have been free to play from the start and those who were paying the subscription should have known better.

Edited by Scodiac

@WinterSnowblind: Well, in this post you seem like you think Sony Online owes something more to subscribers but before you said they owe us nothing. Whatever man. I think you're just reveling in some annoying "I knew it! I called it!" crap.

Anyway, I don't want to argue. This is a good thing. Now, many more people will play the game and lots of old players will return. Maybe, the game will find new life. It's actually a pretty fun MMO, especially, if you're into the DCU.

Posted by TearsInRain

Finally a chance to pick this up.

Posted by plato84

Well I won't be buying anymore games from SOE. (Unless they are real awesome)

Posted by GS_Dan

Free to play on console is unusual, but a FTP MMO is crazy talk

Posted by WinterSnowblind

@Scodiac: It's the complete opposite. Everyone knew it was going to happen and people should have known better than to pay the subscription.

The game will likely be much better thanks to this switch and everyone will benefit.. except the people who were already paying. My point was that they should have known better than to waste their money. You can't call it "gross business practices" if you're the one making it possible for the developers to get away with that kind of stuff.

Posted by wld

I wanted to try this when it came out, but the initial investment was kind of steep. This'll be enough to get me to give it a try.

Posted by poisonmonkey

Time to give it a try I think

Posted by ocdog45

I played it on the ps3. it was good while it lasted but it just wasn't being supported enough.

Posted by Beanking

Might actually play this game now

Posted by zanshin

This is a great move. I was always sicked MMOs costs: $50 for the game and then $180 a year to play, making them by far the most expensive games on the market.

Posted by DoctorSmashman

I liked the game when it first came out (and got into it because of Giant Bomb's Quick Look), but it couldn't keep me interested. Once I hit the level cap and the game pointed out all the stuff I could do from that point on, I asked why I would want to, and never played again. Grinding forever for those ultra-garish legacy suits didn't seem worth the effort (for the record, I was just a classic-looking shiny blue guy in a black speedo), and the PVP didn't really seem all that nuanced.

Posted by Kratch

This game should have launched like this. I wanted to try it, but there was no way that I was going to drop $60.00 and a monthly fee on a game I was unsure about. Now, I'll definitely at least give it a try.

Edited by Hellstrom

Too bad the game is horrible. There's no real end game to it. You get the lastest armor then you PvP all day/ stand around the Hall Of Doom/ Police Station for months until new content releases. You did this too late Sony tons of good people already left the game for their disapointment in waiting for content then when it releases its crap.

Invest yourself in a PC if you don't have one. Much better MMO's out there.

Posted by jakob187

Sounds easily reasonable. Many games that went F2P after being subscription-based ended up better because of it, like Dungeons & Dragons Online or Age of Conan. Curious to see how this changes the game up. Also, if this works well on PS3, then that'll be a big deal.

• 113 results