126 Comments
  • 126 results
Posted by NHLmaniac

@Patdown: I have read in reviews that there are enemies now that have equipment that scrambles your signal. So you can't use detective vision until you defeat that enemy. I don't know how often this enemy appears though.

Posted by The_Hiro_Abides

I can not wait to play this! But first I'll look through the catalog they included in the box...

Posted by Boopie

so Batman gets his powers from the cape?

Edited by buckybit

BATMAN BATMAN BATMAN

I only now found the time to play the Batman Arkham Asylum game .. on PC. Looks better than Rage * and I am playing it with a 360-controller. You get the best from both worlds:

• PC quad-core power, CUDA/Physics, gfx galore
  • Analog game controls (far better for a title like this)

So, I'm with you guys, who decided to wait.

VIDEO QUALITY ISSUE

I don't know how many videos they are producing on a daily basis now (raw TB/day?). They found obviously something logistically that 'works' for them. I myself use ffmpeg (for Linux, but also a BSD/MAC version available, afaik) - ffmpeg encodes/transcodes on manycore machines as fast as anything out there. It scales great over as many cores as you can haz and is wicked fast! You can create a script, use a GUI version or - like me - type ONE command line, similar to this:

me@mybox $ -ffmpeg -i input_file.raw -vcodec libx264 -b 1000 -g 125 -vtag mp4 -pass 2 -passlogfile log_file output_file.mp4

While you can use professional or freeware tools on Win/Mac, Giantbomb/WM needs professional solutions for A/V transcoding. They can buy those (for a lot of money) or build a cluster of linux-boxes themselves, doing the same work in half the time? I tried to pitch this to VInny over Twitter two or three times over the past years, but he never jumped. I guess, they seem fine with what they do right now. Unlike some of us, who click on HD and look at trash (Batman QL - first I thought "it's the xbox", but even the xbox360 can look better than in this HD video.)

*) yeah - unfair comparison maybe - Rage does different things, in so many different ways; still awesome game.

Posted by drewbert

@Mumrik said:

@Eujin said:

@drewbert: Hey Drew, are you able to see any distortion during the video? I'm seeing repeated weird glitching and macroblocking throughout.

Edit: Big example starts around 12:50 and goes to 12:54

I see it. Around 9:08 too. It seems to be related to fast motion, so it's mostly when Batman is zipping around or gliding. Watching in high (not HD).

Is it just me or have there been more compression problems in these videos for the last very long while? Dunno if it was after they added HD for subscribers.

Yep, it appears to be a problem with our new compression setting. We're looking into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Staff
Posted by Silver-Streak

@drewbert: I've had weird issues with a few vids before, but it could have been weird interactions with beta flash players and my beta video drivers, so I thought I'd check. Thanks for the quick response.

Posted by adoggz

@DJJoeJoe: yeah it looks like shit

Posted by m0rdr3d

Great atmosphere, solid game, but Batman seems to be the same pussy from the first game. As interesting as the combat can be, I don't want to wail on an enemy with 50 hits and have him pop back to his feet...Or swoop down landing on his cranium full-speed and the result is that he's simply dazed for a moment. Why do none of the reviewers I see criticize that portion of the game? It's not like it ruins it.

Posted by Pinmonkey

@Seroth said:

@ChibiSoma said:

Hey. Hey guys. You know what I do when I don't want to be spoiled by a game?

I don't watch the Quick Look before I play the game. Novel concept, huh? I don't watch something that shows off a random part of a game then whine about being spoiled. I go into QLs for games I'm excited for with the knowledge that there will probably be spoilers about something or another. Usually I'm fine with this. But in the rare cases I'm not (see: Dark Souls) I don't watch the damn thing until after I've played.

I dunno, maybe I'm the crazy one.

I think you're the crazy one here. I feel like the whole point of a Quick Look is to show off how a game is before you buy it.

If you care about a "spoiler" you were probably gonna get it anyways, call it a hunch. Read the review instead. When this shit happens they just try to tiptoe and don't actually, like you say "show off how a game is" the way they should. I hate everything right now.

Posted by Mumrik

I'm confused. Why didn't they show any of the actual campaign? We saw Jeff beat up a few street thugs and semi-instantly fail a new game plus version of a Catwoman battle, but that didn't really tell me much. It would have been pretty cool to see an early bit of the story.

Edited by Bummey

@Smokey_Earhole said:

People need to calm the fuck down about this whole spoiler issue that's been permeating the Interwebs in the later years, and the why's of this are explained in the following article way better than I could: http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/11/14/the-devins-advocate-stop-worrying-about-spoilers

(Edited to add: yes I know the author is talking about spoilers in relation to film, but his basic argument applies to all media and entertainment in my opinion)

That's a load of horse shit. Spoilers ruin a person's enjoyment of a story, plain and simple. While it's true people need to be more careful about what they watch and read, so as to avoid spoilers, under no circumstances is it okay to spoil someone. edit: Some people have some pretty dumb definitions of spoiler, though. Just being told that a game has a carnival level, for example, is enough to send some people into a frothing rage. That's not what I'm talking about. That's not a spoiler unless it's intimately tied to an important facet of the story, which it usually isn't.

Spoilers about this Batman video game don't bother me because I don't care about the story in a Batman video game. The Snape spoiler in Harry Potter, on the other hand, was a pretty big bummer and it definitely ruined a lot of my enjoyment of the series. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (they're nearly as annoying as Lost and Doctor Who fans), and luckily there's more to the series than just the story, but it was still a large detriment to my overall experience.

Edited by HerbieBug

@Smokey_Earhole said:

People need to calm the fuck down about this whole spoiler issue that's been permeating the Interwebs in the later years, and the why's of this are explained in the following article way better than I could: http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/11/14/the-devins-advocate-stop-worrying-about-spoilers

(Edited to add: yes I know the author is talking about spoilers in relation to film, but his basic argument applies to all media and entertainment in my opinion)

I don't agree with that article at all. The fact of the matter is, having prior knowledge about particular events in a narrative can detract from the experience of viewing the lead up to said event. In that way, a spoiled narrative becomes about seeing how said spoiler occurs, as opposed to the (usually) intended process of watching it be unveiled in a particular way by the writer/director. It can kill tension. It can kill suspension of disbelief. While you personally may not feel negatively affected by spoilers, a portion of the population large enough to make this a controversial subject does care. What does it cost you to keep quiet about certain things in the presence of people who haven't seen the game/book/movie yet? Nothing. It is a matter of courtesy.

Thanks to Giantbomb for doing their best to be considerate about this issue.

Posted by Masha2932

Anyone having issues with dips in quality when watching the quick look? The video blurs on my screen in certain sections during the quick look.

Posted by prestonhedges

@Bummey said:

@Smokey_Earhole said:

That's a load of horse shit. Spoilers ruin a person's enjoyment of a story, plain and simple. While it's true people need to be more careful about what they watch and read, so as to avoid spoilers, under no circumstances is it okay to spoil someone.

Not every movie/video game/novel is The Usual Suspects. If knowing one bit of information about it can ruin the experience for you, it probably wasn't that good to begin with. And stop expecting the internet of all places to police itself for you.Guess what, if you read an article or watch a video about a game, you're probably going to learn something about it you didn't know before. You're basically spoiling the game for yourself if you have some sort of expectation of going in completely cold and then go on to read/watch everything about it.

And some of us like to know what's in this 60 dollar product we're thinking of purchasing.

Posted by patrick

@gladspooky said:

@Bummey said:

@Smokey_Earhole said:

That's a load of horse shit. Spoilers ruin a person's enjoyment of a story, plain and simple. While it's true people need to be more careful about what they watch and read, so as to avoid spoilers, under no circumstances is it okay to spoil someone.

Not every movie/video game/novel is The Usual Suspects. If knowing one bit of information about it can ruin the experience for you, it probably wasn't that good to begin with. And stop expecting the internet of all places to police itself for you.Guess what, if you read an article or watch a video about a game, you're probably going to learn something about it you didn't know before. You're basically spoiling the game for yourself if you have some sort of expectation of going in completely cold and then go on to read/watch everything about it.

And some of us like to know what's in this 60 dollar product we're thinking of purchasing.

You're mixing in shades of grey. Are you really trying to convince anyone that plot points and expectations are in the same league as each other? You don't see the disconnect there?

Posted by Aegon

Can someone tell me when the spoilers are there and how long they last? 

Posted by Gerhabio

I gotta say, I'm not into the interface and HUD aesthetics, I thought they were much better in the first one.

Posted by dr_mantas

The spoilers in the subtitles are now blurred, so it's safe to watch. Good job, guys :)

Also, I'm glad I looked at all the times people were complaining about before even watching the Quick Look, cause I don't give a damn about no spoilers.

Posted by rjayb89

@H2Oyea said:

Can someone tell me when the spoilers are there and how long they last?

It's gone now, don't worry about it. It was in the subtitles and the guys playing didn't notice. This newly updated version has the specific subtitles blurred, as you may notice a few seconds after 2 minutes.

Posted by cannedstingray

@DJJoeJoe: That was the first thing I noticed. I reloaded to make sure I was on HD, I'm guessing that it's the game dropping detail to keep frame rate up especially in the larger environments, but it is rather jarring. I've been wondering which version to get. Looks like I'll go with whichever one keeps the compression to a minimum. Hopefully the PC is better about it. Jeff and Brad don't seem to mind, and I suppose you will learn to look past it after a while. But I think if I can avoid it I will.

Posted by cannedstingray

@drewbert: That's a relief. I was worried that the game was dropping detail to keep frame rate up.

Posted by FinalDasa

This video is rather jittery for me in both HD and on the 'high' setting and no other GB videos are having this trouble, any suggestions?

Posted by Nightfang

This game is all kind of awesome!

Posted by besighyawn

just picked up the game, so hyped

Posted by EveretteScott

The Captain America: Super Soldier game takes a lot from Arkham Asylum. Being a video game guy, I think Brad would have remembered that.

Posted by crusader8463

I hope someone makes a Batman game with this kind of production value some day that's all about the stealth instead of a button mashing brawler. I really want to love these games, but the combat is just too repetitive for me to play for more than a few hours before I'm bored to tears.

Posted by Seroth

@Pinmonkey said:

@Seroth said:

@ChibiSoma said:

Hey. Hey guys. You know what I do when I don't want to be spoiled by a game?

I don't watch the Quick Look before I play the game. Novel concept, huh? I don't watch something that shows off a random part of a game then whine about being spoiled. I go into QLs for games I'm excited for with the knowledge that there will probably be spoilers about something or another. Usually I'm fine with this. But in the rare cases I'm not (see: Dark Souls) I don't watch the damn thing until after I've played.

I dunno, maybe I'm the crazy one.

I think you're the crazy one here. I feel like the whole point of a Quick Look is to show off how a game is before you buy it.

If you care about a "spoiler" you were probably gonna get it anyways, call it a hunch. Read the review instead. When this shit happens they just try to tiptoe and don't actually, like you say "show off how a game is" the way they should. I hate everything right now.

I still think Quick Looks are meant to show off the game, not to spoil it. That's what the Endurance Run is for.

I don't even really care about whatever the hell this Batman spoiler was. I just think its ridiculous to suggest that one shouldn't watch a Quick Look for a game without having played it already.

Edited by Aegon

Lol at the fact that Nolan North is obviously voicing most of the guards in the room at 29:00

Posted by clumsyninja1

The Cap game was a lame copy of Arkham Asylum...at least Batman doesn't random collect german helmets

Posted by rmanthorp

Thank's for fixing that spoiler, appreciate it!

Posted by Eyz

Awesome! Will give this a look.

'was gonna buy this game Monday but too much work got on my hands so I'll be picking this up by the end of the week instead. Thanks for the video guys!

Posted by Winternet

I find all the spoiler talk ridiculous. But, whatever. Keep on trucking internet.

Posted by Vitor

Hard mode in the first game had no attack indicator and I completely disagree with Brad when he says that the animation would kick in too late for you to counter. I actually way preferred playing the game on that difficulty and never had a problem as long as I was paying attention.

The fact that you have to do multiple counters at the same time could make that tricky though.

Posted by Darkfiretiger

Curse you Quick-Look for convincing me to drop my import copy and run out and get the game retail tomorrow.

Posted by lordofmidgets

this looks awesome! The fighting animations seem so much better. Why do I live in the UK, i have to wait till friday

Edited by Batmeng

THE FLOOR IS NOW BATMAN!

Edit: Why does Jeff keep referring to taking down dudes as killing? I thought Batman never killed people, no?

Posted by Bread_Harrity

The Joker kills Dumbledore.

Posted by pedantics1

Have you guys changed the way you encode videos? The HD version of this suffers from really bad pixelation and macro-blocking throughout.

Posted by pedantics1
@pedantics1 Never mind, read other comments, glad its being looked into.
Posted by leejunfan83

The catwoman stuff looks fine

Posted by owl_of_minerva

I'll never understand what people see in this franchise.

Posted by Jeaz

"If you kill informant last" - Batman doesn't kill thugs! He just knocks/beats/thumps them unconscious :-)

You know, superheroes doesn't kill the villains :-)

Posted by vhold

That was an odd quick look. Like they're just assuming it's this great game, yet they seem totally bored by it.

Posted by JonPadgett

Cat Woman is always going to have less ability's than batman.

Posted by Meowshi

@Batmeng said:

THE FLOOR IS NOW BATMAN!

Edit: Why does Jeff keep referring to taking down dudes as killing? I thought Batman never killed people, no?

Jeff doesn't know shit about Batman. He hasn't even seen Batman Begins or The Dark Knight .

Posted by Spartan117Tron

Nolan North is one of the Guards lol

Posted by super2j

that flying thing at the beginning had me obsessed for some random reason, couldnt stop till i completed it

Posted by ArbitraryWater

I never actually finished Arkham Asylum. For as much praise as that game got, I never quite found the GOTY material people were raving about, especially in the combat department. I imagine this game will be the same way.

Posted by skunkdragon

@ArbitraryWater said:

I never actually finished Arkham Asylum. For as much praise as that game got, I never quite found the GOTY material people were raving about, especially in the combat department. I imagine this game will be the same way.

Dude your playing it wrong it's not Kenect!

• 126 results