103 Comments
  • 103 results
Posted by FinalDasa

Most likely its Pokemon Blue. I ended up eventually having multiple gameboys just so I could trade with myself since my friends didn't care about collecting them all.

Posted by Outbr3ak

As a youngster, Simon's Quest. For awhile around that time, video games were an obsession. I probably didn't start actually start thinking about specific taste in games, and the fact that I really liked some far better than others, and what made thos games tick until Super Metroid though. Most of my friends still stare blankly at me when I start discussing gameplay evolution and why Symphony of the Night is probably one of the finest human accomplishments though.

Posted by Burzmali

First, Pitfall and Pitfall II on the Atari 2600. My dad and I would take turns playing that when I was 4 or 5. After that, Final Fantasy on the NES. I got that for Christmas when I was 8 and played that for hours every weekend.

Posted by spilledmilkfactory

I don't remember exactly which game it was. Could've been Pokemon, although I'd say my love of the Red/Blue Versions was more based on my love of the franchise as a whole than of video games. More likely, it was either Final Fantasy IX for the Playstation or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA. Now to be clear, I played tons of games before FFTA, but that and FFIX were the only games I ever spent more than 5-10 hours on. Way more, in fact.

Posted by Virago

@Soapy86 said:

THIS. This is my child hood game.

Posted by senorfuzzeh

NBA: JAM and Paper boy.

I am sure plenty of people Have done triple front flips through their air as their shoes, lit ablaze by pure awesomeness, followed behind them as they then slammed a orange ball through a net and breaking the glass of the hoop.

But I wonder how many of you ever played paperboy (Not as lame as it sounds)

Posted by sanchopanza

@spilledmilkfactory said:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA. Now to be clear, I played tons of games before FFTA, but that and FFIX were the only games I ever spent more than 5-10 hours on. Way more, in fact.

I fear for your soul. That game is a fucking abomination.

Posted by destruktive

@ShaggE said:

Wolfenstein 3D. The shareware version, at that. I couldn't even begin to imagine the hours I must have sunk into that game.

This. Not the first game I've played but Wolfenstein 3D and Rise of the Triad was where I spent the most time at a early age.

Posted by Wes899

I wanna say it was Mechwarrior 2 on the PC. That's my strongest memory but it could've been anything. I played a lot of games as a small fry but that's the most vivid one. That and Monster In My Pocket on the NES. Good memories those games.

Edited by MightyDuck

I'd have to say something from the Sega Genesis days too. I was a HUGE fan of both NHL 95 and NBA Jam. I played those for countless hours.

Actually just found all my old NES/Genesis games. However, the consoles don't work as well as they used too. Just ordered one of those "duo retrocon" consoles that play Genesis, SNES, and NES. Can't wait to get some "retro" gaming on.

Posted by spiceninja

Crash Bandicoot 2 for me. First game I got for my PS1. Played that game to death and beat it countless times. I tried and tried for years to get the blue gem since it was the only one I had left to reach 100%. It wasn't until recently when I bought it on PSN that I found out that you just had to beat the first level without breaking any boxes to get it. I tried everything but that as a kid.

Posted by mandude

I had grown up playing all sorts of games on the C64 and Sega Megadrive, but it wasn't until Metal Gear Solid that I discovered that games we're a serious medium.

Posted by Claude

These types of threads are always hard for me. I'm 46 years old and my childhood was mostly played without video games. I did enjoy the Atari 2600 but I never saw it as a hobby. It wasn't until I had bought the SNES that I thought this was a hobby. I played a lot of sports games back then, when I played this one, it was over...

Posted by spilledmilkfactory

@axlrose15 said:

@spilledmilkfactory said:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA. Now to be clear, I played tons of games before FFTA, but that and FFIX were the only games I ever spent more than 5-10 hours on. Way more, in fact.

I fear for your soul. That game is a fucking abomination.

Assuming you mean FFTA, since that has a bit of a controversial reputation. I still love the game, even if it was much simplified compared to the original FFT. It was my first strategy game, after all

Edited by Guided_By_Tigers

I'm not sure.....probably NBA Jam Tournament Edition or Super Metroid

Posted by Hailinel

When did it go from hobby to obsession?

When I started playing this.

I already played a lot of video games before this one, but this really and truly sealed the deal for life.

Posted by Milkman

Probably either Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Posted by ShadowConqueror

Diablo 2.

Posted by punkxblaze

My "That Game" also happens to be Sonic, but in a slightly different way. I didn't actually own a console proper until close to 2004, when I received a Gamecube for Christmas. Somewhere around 98 or 99, though, my parents bought me the PC versions of Sonic R and The Sonic and Knuckles collection. I was hooked. I spent more time on Sonic 3K than I care to admit, and at this point I can practically run through Sonic R blindfolded (Oooooh that music.).

Posted by InfiniteGeass

Probably Halo 2. I just loved the hell out of that multiplayer especially when playing system link. Good times.

Posted by Floope

I can't pick between the two, but these were BIG.

Posted by benpicko

Well, being 15, it's probably a bit weird that my game was also a Mega Drive game. Can't remember which one though.

Edited by Bumpton

Space Quest 1, man. That shit changed my life. That was when I knew that I was a gamer. I couldn't even play the game by myself because I couldn't spell/type at the time. My sister controlled the keyboard and I told her what to type. Truly a vivid, precious memory there.

Posted by unordinarily

I'm thinking it's this.. I think.

Posted by LaserGreen

Zelda, Ocarina of Time. 9 year old me was in video game heaven.

Posted by Skald

Kirby's Adventure. The perfect gateway drug for a casual kid gamer.

Posted by sanchopanza

@spilledmilkfactory: Yeh I mean FFTA, I guess if its your first game of that type you might enjoy it, its not broken or anything. But after playing the likes of Tactics Ogre, or any game in the genre for that matter, that game is painful.

Posted by sickVisionz

Streets of Rage. I had a NES and devoted a lot of time playing video games (basically just Mario 1 and Mario 2) but I didn't consider myself a gamer. Gaming was just one of my hobbies but SoR made me a real deal gamer for a lot of reasons.

1. The only NES games I had were Mario 1, Mario 2, and Duck Hunt. All of those have a pretty basic move set. SoR has a ton of moves for every character and a lot of openness so I had more opportunities to play it how I wanted to play it, whether that be body slamming every opponent, refusing to use certain weapons, etc.
  2. That added moveset also let me be flashy. Whenever there were three crates or smashable items side-by-side, I HAD to smash them all at once and it HAD to be done by throwing an enemy through them. If I had a knife and there was an enemy on the opposite side of the stage, the only acceptable option was to throw it at him, even if holding on to that knife would be way more effective and keep me alive. If I had the same weapon as an enemy, we were destined to engage in an epic battle to see who was really the best at wielding it. I think this was a glitch, but you could change the direction you were facing in the middle of a combo, allowing you to protect and combo people from to different directions at once. I would purposely get surrounded by enemies just to see if I could fight my way out of the mob. This was the first game that let me be flashy and stupid about the gameplay like that and I loved it.
  3. It was the first game I played where you really needed to exploit weaknesses and it was the first time I really discovered weaknesses and looked for exploitable things in a game.
  4. Difficulty settings where a big deal. None of the games I'd played up until then had them and I felt like beating a stage was beating a stage and anyone who could did that was equal. With difficulty settings there was a clear stratification of game talent and I really wanted to be the type of player who could beat the game on its hardest settings.
  5. Related to #4, jumping from Normal to Hardest was like a shell shock and showed me immediately that I needed to get better at the game and learn its systems more. No other game had given me that feeling until then.
  6. After you beat a boss you had a few seconds to run around until the game would take a snap shot and fade to the score summary for that stage. It seems small, but catching that snapshot on the coolest looking frame of animation was more of a reward than actually beating the level a lot of times. My favorite was playing as Blaze and doing her backwards kick, which makes it look like she's touching herself. The 6 year old me loved that and I don't think another game let me do stuff like that again until Bayonetta came out almost 20 years later.

The stuff that game taught me about how I should play games and what I like about games still has a major impact on me to this day.

Posted by Still_I_Cry

@senorfuzzeh: I remember playing that game :D

Posted by BlazeHedgehog

@BeachThunder said:

Is this secretly a "how old are you" thread?

That was not the intent but it certainly seems to be how things are turning out. :P

Posted by OldGuy
Posted by Still_I_Cry

@BlazeHedgehog: I think most people won't be able to accurately tell how old I am based on the games I played when I was younger :P

"Was that a challenge?"

Maybe, maybe..

Posted by J0PALACE0K

@TobbRobb said:

I played a freaking lot of the first three Spyro games, completionist style.

This.

Posted by JackSukeru

Mario Bros. was all it took, in a world of videogames it was my destiny to play them.

Y'know, I hope that Sonic Generations is good man, but playing the new demo a whole bunch of times I just don't know :/

Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

for me, "that game" was contra on the NES. my friends and i made it a thing to see how fast we could beat the game, and if it was possible to make it through without dying a single time. after a certain point, we had everything memorized and could blast through the game under 20mins without dying.

Posted by Guided_By_Tigers

@Video_Game_King: Shining Force > Fire Emblem.....every day of the week.

Posted by BonOrbitz

Your Sonic was my Super Mario Bros.

I wanted (and was denied) a NES for so long that making my own issues of Nintendo Fun Club magazine out of drawing paper and markers was the only way I could cope.

Posted by haggis

I don't think I had any one specific game like that. To echo an earlier comment, the two games I played the most back toward the beginning of my gaming hobby would have been Adventure and Megamania (strange that I'd see someone on here with the same two old games on their list), on the Atari 2600. But I'd hardly say they were addiction-creating. I began to take gaming more seriously around the time Sierra began making adventure games, but by then I'd been gaming for quite some time. I suppose a good argument could be made that my attitude changed quite a bit toward gaming after playing Elite on the Commodores 64.

Posted by el_tajij

Doom 2 for me! Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom were just in a world of their own for me. I've always been a strict atheist but had lots of religious friends and went to a religious school, so the thought of fighting the Devil was pretty scary and pretty impactful for me as a kid.

Posted by Deeveeus

@InsidiousTuna said:

Commander Keen 4: Secrets of the Oracle.

hahaha ohhh man, I remember playing that on my brothers computer! That game was so fun!

Posted by Deeveeus

@Hailinel said:

When did it go from hobby to obsession?

When I started playing this.

I already played a lot of video games before this one, but this really and truly sealed the deal for life.

That didn't cement me as a gamer, I already was, but that game made me love RPGs and is the main reason I got a PS over an N64...I NEEDED Final Fantasy 7

Posted by senorfuzzeh

@Still_I_Cry said:

@senorfuzzeh: I remember playing that game :D

Hell yeah! throwing news papers at little old ladies on porch swings was never more fun.

Posted by beckley205

Spyro 3

Posted by Getz

The Lion King for the SNES... what?

Posted by BlazeHedgehog
@Getz said:

The Lion King for the SNES... what?

I ain't judgin' you. I remember liking that as a kid!
Posted by Everyones_A_Critic

I remember this Game...

Posted by Zidd

Doom

Posted by Xtrememuffinman
 and
PS1 box art (cropped)
Edited by Still_I_Cry

@Xtrememuffinman: I remember sitting in my basement playing OoT and getting aggravated at that song you had to keep playing on the ocarina :P

Posted by Phoenix778m

NES Popeye

• 103 results