304 Comments
Posted by McShank
Posted by CashBailey

@Sooty said:

Yup it's still a Bethesda game. :D

Hah-hah!!

I'm playing this on the PC and the first time I saw two mammoths suddenly one of them just shot up into the sky.

I shit myself, thinking it was part of the game and it was going to come down on me but it was nowhere to be found.

Edited by poisonmonkey

@Brad: Good reply Brad, I agree with you, I have done about 12 hours of Skyrim so far and didn't even know you could quick equip until I watched the quicklook and didn't know about the ice draining stamina either, I just didn't notice (too busy stabbin dudes!!!!)

@phrosnite said:
Jeff: "Ice drains stamina."
Brad: "Oh, I didn't know that."
Isn't Brad "Five stars" Shoemaker the best reviewer ever?
@Brad said:
Cool, so we can assume you'll spare us your opinions about every game you play until you can recite every minute and invisible aspect of their mechanical design?
Posted by VirtuaXav

Horse meet Dragon, Dragon meet Horse.

Posted by avantegardener

Zombie chicken, game of the year.

Posted by Ramone

The spoilurz picture was the best thing ever

Posted by CaLe
@HerbieBug said:

Oh brad. -_- In the middle of fighting giants and suddenly out of nowhere you're all "I like that the water has current".

It's neat!
Posted by dropabombonit

I have played 10 hours of this game and still haven't come across a dragon

Posted by 80GSM

@rmanthorp said:

This is what I love about Quick Looks! More dicking around please!

And the best part, them dicking around is how you play Skyrim anyway.

Posted by Matt_McG

that moment with the mountain lion and the giant... perfect...

Posted by Crawdaddy

I almost spit my drink all over the keyboard when the bear went flying like a home run out of the park. Pure GOLD!!! This is so on my list to buy. How far we've come since the days of NES Dragon Quest lol.

Posted by Lind_L_Taylor

I'm feeling some fuckin motion sickness watching Brad jerk around his movement in FPS. TPS please.

Posted by Fuga

I thought the PC ui was shit until I found out you could bind stuff to hotkeys. now it's not bad

Posted by MeatSim

I need to stop watching this Quick Look and play more Skyrim! It can't be understated how amazing this game is.

Posted by Yagami

@Meatsim: I'm with you.. 9:th fucking time i've watched this. >.<

Posted by hakunin

Well, I've played at bunch of Bethesda games, found nothing or little to like about them, but I'm finding myself really enjoying Skyrim so far.

Posted by Paarthurnax

28:06 had to watch it over a couple times to see that bear launch. Played 2 hrs. into the game when I got hit by a giant, I totally thought this was a glitch. This is definitely what a GOTY should be

Posted by jozzy

Loved the Quicklook, picked the game up but so far it hasn't grabbed me yet. Game feels hollow somehow...

Posted by Max_Hydrogen

Maybe if Brad stopped TURNING AROUND he could actually run away...

Posted by Humanity

@jozzy said:

Loved the Quicklook, picked the game up but so far it hasn't grabbed me yet. Game feels hollow somehow...

Not to downplay the many aspects that these games do very well, but thats kinda all Bethesda RPGs - hollow is a great way to describe them in a way. Theres quests and people and all this stuff you can do - yet it's all always so lifeless, like you're talking to mannequins. At least thats what I get out of it after having played past titles.

Posted by Yummylee

This is a brilliant quick look; so many great moments. And I now more than ever wished I set aside some cash for Skyrim. Want this so bad.

Edited by Duke_of_IRL

@dropabombonit said:

I have played 10 hours of this game and still haven't come across a dragon

You need to get to a certain part in the main questline. It's like.. an hour into the game if you follow the main story. Then you have infinite dragon and random battles with 'em while walking through the wilderness, in towns, etc. It's just too bad that fighting them doesn't feel so good. I do pretty much exactly what Brad did, in that I get along side of 'em when they land and just hammer 'em with my melee weapon. The game brings so much to the table though that this isn't really damning at all. If this was just a dragon murder simulator, it wouldn't be very good. But since the scope is so gigantic and everything else is so awesome, it's forgivable. Which is kinda how all Bethsoft products work -- flaws that'd be major in other games, but inconsequential given the breadth of the content.

@poisonmonkey said:

@Brad: Good reply Brad, I agree with you, I have done about 12 hours of Skyrim so far and didn't even know you could quick equip until I watched the quicklook and didn't know about the ice draining stamina either, I just didn't notice (too busy stabbin dudes!!!!)

@phrosnite said:
Jeff: "Ice drains stamina."
Brad: "Oh, I didn't know that."
Isn't Brad "Five stars" Shoemaker the best reviewer ever?
@Brad said:
Cool, so we can assume you'll spare us your opinions about every game you play until you can recite every minute and invisible aspect of their mechanical design?

I'm 15 hours in and I didn't know about the quick equip feature either. Bethesda games are so huge one person couldn't possibly know every facet of it before a review, even if they got the game a month ahead of release. Seeing as Brad sunk 60 hours into the game at the time of the QL I'd say he knew enough to give an informed verdict. Ice draining stamina doesn't impact the quality of the game, which is what he's reporting on. Definitely five-star material from my point of view as well.

e: To be clear, I don't mean the favorites menu when I say quick equip. Not knowing that after even a few hours of play is pretty ridiculous.

Posted by Lunar_Aura

@Lifendz said:

Anyone else feel like Patrick is doing his best Ryan impersonation? Right down to the whisper.

A few weeks ago I made a list in my profile which mentions that very same thing.

Posted by FieldCommanderRick

I'm so weak-willed. Can't help it, I've been conditioned from my youth to buy videogames at release. Hello Skyrim, goodbye $60.

Posted by vinsanityv22

This QL was worth it just for what happens at 28:07 XD

As for the rest, I'm not convinced. The setting looks kinda bland to me - all snow and mountains? Even with the variety therein, it's still nowhere near...say...Kingdoms of Amalur. The first person melee combat looks as "wishy washy" as Oblivion's (though at least you can ignore with Dragon Shouts, cooler magic and other weapons now). I was really hoping they were going to nail first person combat as good as, say, Riddick or Condemned, but I guess not. The amount of content is definitely impressive, but when the core stuff doesn't do it for me....eh.

I can definitely wait to buy this later when it's $20 or $30 or something. Or just rent it from Gamefly for a months. But still, awesome QL guys!

Posted by Nights

One of the best quick looks in awhile.

Not that it really matters, but that was a sabre cat not a bear.

Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish

Er, that was a dragon huh? Died very easily. Disappointing. 

Posted by rjayb89

I CAN'T WAIT FOR FALLOUT 4 EITHER.

Posted by Flooder_delete

what happens at 28:06 is funniest moment I have seen so far in Skyrim.

Posted by Marz

holy fuck.... i put off watching this since i was playing the game myself... but i i laughed so hard at 28:05 that i really started crying lol.  Poor sabertooth cat.

Posted by fox01313

Agreed with Brad, there's so many skill books hidden in the world & don't count to stealing if you just read them helps to read glancingly at everything but in the mage college I ran across a Skyrim version of a choose your own adventure books which was excessively funny.

While I've run across near the mage college a funny moment of finding some frozen treasure hunters & a tusker but the part with the giant around 27ish minutes in is just wicked hilarious.

Posted by Sharpshooter

Where the fuck is the Steed Stone? I need to know.

Posted by redbliss

I lost it when the giant sent that bear into space.

Posted by Nux

I played 15 straight hours of this game yesterday and I love it.

Posted by illmatic19

Quick look of the year?

Posted by mortal_sb

been playing this with my i7 / 560ti with ultra settings on my 50" televsion. damn this game can look so AMAZING. i love it when the mountains are surrounded by fog and clouds.

Posted by gbrading

Excellent Quick Look: I dove into Skyrim today and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Incredible.

Posted by Three0neFive
@rjayb89 said:

You mean, "Oblivion with guns with swords with guns"?
Edited by sawtooth

"i'd pay to watch a horse fight that"

Posted by prestonhedges

@Three0neFive said:

@rjayb89 said:

pffft, i'm waiting for Dark Souls with guns, myself.

Posted by huser

@rjayb89 said:

Brad I think posited the possibility of idTech being involved. A bit farfetched but it might be interesting...synergy.

Also Go Flying Bears! That made this a sale for me.

Posted by Talis12

skyrim is my first elder scrolls game and i can tell you its not hard to do a 12 hour marathon.. you get lost in this world so easily. i started playing at 2pm and its now 5am.. i can barely type straight but its so worth it

if you havent bought it yet you're an idiot

Posted by thebigJ_A

Man, I need to pony up for an HDTV. My crappy old 4:3 bigscreen just isn't cutting it for Skyrim.

The text is hard to read, everything has a slight greenish tinge, and the edges of the screen are cut off.

Anyone have like $250 I can borrow? I'm good for it!

Edited by mewarmo990

@gladspooky said:

@Three0neFive said:

@rjayb89 said:

I'd pay to see that. Painfully slow reloading animations, jams you have to manually clear...

And all the while it takes a bullet or two to kill you. Or better yet, your guns don't do shit to giant screen-filling bosses.

Edited by John1912

@huser said:

@rjayb89 said:

Brad I think posited the possibility of idTech being involved. A bit farfetched but it might be interesting...synergy.

Also Go Flying Bears! That made this a sale for me.

Unless Fallout 4 was already in production when they bought ID I would be pretty surprised if its not done with the rage engine.

Also, damn those giants. I didnt fly high as that bear, but must have been 200 ft. Looked about 2x the height of the pine trees. Handy for taking down dragons if they are near by.

Posted by thebigJ_A

I walked into the meadery right near where Brad rezzed the chicken. When I walked out again, a giant corpse flopped onto the ground right in front of me. While i was looking at it, some lady comes sprinting from way down the road and is like, "thanks for nothing. You could've helped us kill this giant. Me and my buddies from the Companions came here... blah blah, etc."

I ran the way she came from, and there were two other people from the companions as well, walking away.

I'm assuming it was supposed to be an encounter and it busted. IDK how the giant corpse ended up so far from the people who supposedly killed it.

Posted by golguin

I don't know how much of a coincidence it is to have a giant send a wolf into outer space because I had the same thing happen to me and I'm only 15 hours in. I also had a similar situation to Jeff except I had TWO HORSES fighting a dragon with a bunch of archers. I joined the fight and killed the dragon, but the two horses died.

Posted by Campbell000

Holy crap the image of Jeff they put in there to hide Brad's saves is really funny.

Posted by Three0neFive
@mewarmo990 said:

@gladspooky said:

@Three0neFive said:

@rjayb89 said:

I'd pay to see that. Painfully slow reloading animations, jams you have to manually clear...

And all the while it takes a bullet or two to kill you. Or better yet, your guns don't do shit to giant screen-filling bosses.

You mean like this?
Posted by wumbo3000

I wasn't planning on buying this, as I haven't played Oblivion and Morrowind didn't enrapture me at all.

That flying sabre cat convinced me that I need to play Skyrim.