9 Comments
Posted by yeah_write

Last week, at the request of a coworker, I wrote about the five games to get if you own a Playstation 3. This week I’m tackling the Xbox 360. A few things to note before we begin:

-This list is for non-gamers or casual “I buy one game a year” gamers. I’m going for quality as well accessibility. If you’re a gamer, try to remember how daunting a controller can be to someone that’s never held one. Also, remember that the general video game rule sets and boundaries that are near instinct for you are still foreign to those that don’t play games often.

-All games are exclusive to the platform, meaning you can only get them on 360. I caught some flak from the Giant Bomb forums for including Portal 2 on my last list, so I won’t be doing that again. Next week I’ll do a list for multiplatform titles.

-I did not include any Kinect games, because every Kinect game is exclusive, also I wanted to have a list that does not require additional hardware.

Now on to the list:

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Boasting a fantastic art style and a playground-like atmosphere, Nuts and Bolts is a great way to ease into playing games on an Xbox 360. You play as a silly bear and bird duo in a series of events and mini-games that have you building crazy vehicles. You can use the blue prints the game provides, or build your own boat-plane-car-buggy using parts you find in the environment.

Complexity: This game is very approachable. There’s a fair bit of guidance early on, but also tons of room to experiment once you’re comfortable. There is a bit of self-referential humor and goofy callbacks to other games, but being in on those doesn’t exactly make the game better.

Also see: Viva Piñata

Forza 4

In my Playstation list I avoided listing Gran Turismo in the racing genre because of its complexity. Forza is the Xbox 360 equivalent, but I think it’s a little more accessible. There are a number of modes and guides you can turn on that ease you into the simulation racing experience. If you like fast cars, and you’ve always wanted to know what it’s like to drive them, Forza 4 is for you.

Complexity: As a simulation game, Forza can have a steep learning curve. I suggest turning on every assistive option the game has available. It’s a great way to get comfortable with the handling before stepping up to the pure racing experience.

Also see: Burnout Paradise

Halo: ODST

There are three Halo games on the 360 (soon to be four), but I think this one might be the most enjoyable for a newcomer. It’s got a self-contained story and an interesting structure that bounces between moody scenes of solitude and adrenaline pumping flashbacks. You’ll come across some fun characters and shoot at some crazy aliens.

Complexity: Halo: ODST is a first person shooter, a genre that some new gamers find disorienting at first. Bump down the difficulty and take it slow. Once you get the controls down it’s just a matter of putting your cursor over a bad guy and pulling the trigger.

Also see: Halo Reach

Alan Wake

If you like Stephen King books or eerie shows like Twin Peaks or The Twilight Zone, you’ll love Alan Wake. It stars a famous writer struggling to break free of his writer’s block. While on vacation with his wife in a sleepy mountain town he blacks out and comes to in the forest, where pages of his unwritten manuscript are scattered about. The pages cast Wake as the protagonist in his own story, often foreshadowing events soon to happen. This creepy, atmospheric game is broken into episodic chunks, complete with “previously on Alan Wake” bumpers—it’s perfect for casual, once a night play.

Complexity: The weird flashlight focused gunplay can be challenging at first, but the game doesn’t change much in terms of new mechanics, so once you have it down, you’re good to go. Just kick back and enjoy the crazy story.

Also see: Bioshock

Fable 2

The Fable series might be the most approachable RPGs around. You don’t have to worry about deep menus, complex leveling systems or long dialog segments. It’s easy to jump right in and start questing, casting spells and slashing goblins alongside your trusty dog. That’s not to say the game is a cakewalk either. There’s plenty of challenge for those that go digging, and there’s even a surprisingly fun real estate component. The cheeky British humor and vibrant art style make Fable an easy choice for an introduction to the RPG genre.

Complexity: The gameplay in Fable is simple and satisfying. The combat controls are tied to a couple of buttons—just mash away and cool stuff happens. You’ll rarely get lost or overwhelmed thanks to a gold sparkly “go this way” quest trail and your computer controlled canine companion.

Like last time, feel free to add any games you think I missed.

Posted by ShadowConqueror

Not what I would have listed, but to each his own.

Edited by spankingaddict

Great list ! I didn't play Forza though. Man , I really need to play Banjo N&B again.

I'd put ilomilo in there(even though its an IOS game as well) . I really like puzzle games and it hit the spot. The music is amazing , and difficulty was just right and fair .

Edited by Claude

Red Dead Redemption: Very cool game, really enjoyed the experience.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters: One of the best if not the best golf game I've ever played.
Dead Space: Loved every minute. I need to play the second one.
College Hoops 2k8: I still play this bastard.
Assassin's Creed 1 and 2: Brotherhood brought my love to an end. It was great while it lasted.
Let's go six:
Mass Effect 2: Played and looked great, bought it again for the PC.

Posted by mariokart64fan

i have 215 games total-arcade retail comb ined so im doing 25

1. test drive unlimited 2
  2. goldeneye reloaded-also makes my top 25 wii games at 1
  3. cod 4
  4. gta iv
  5. saints row 2
  6. saints row
  7. driver san francisco
  8. nascar 2011
  9. wwe 2011
  10. quantum of solace 007\
  11. perfect darkxbla
  12. duke nukem 3d
  13. mortal kombat arcade collection
  14. sonics ultimate genesis collection-sure gave me a reason to let my genesis sit aside
  15. blood stone
  16. pgr 4
  17. forza motorsport 3
  18. blur
  19. dirt 2
  20. gears of war
  21. gears of war 2
  22. dead rising
  23. dead rising 2 case 0
  24. dead rising 2 case west

and finally --- la noire

now a top 5 worst games i have less of those so i do 5

1. perfect dark zero
  2. race pro
  3. import tuner challenge
  4. nfs hot pursuit -no custom race mode kills this one on the spot
  5. halo 3 --- spear me cause this should really be an xbox 1 game cause it does not look like a 360 game, -nor does it play like one either ,
Posted by Redbullet685

Good list, but why are you posting it on a game website if it's a list for casual gamers?

Posted by Guided_By_Tigers

Meh.

Posted by big_jon

Good list.

Posted by yeah_write

@spankingaddict: Good call on ilomilo, totally forgot about that one...and my Xbox Avatar is actually wearing an ilomilo shirt. That game had some fantastic music.

@Claude: I'm definitely including some of those on my multiplatform list. I can't get enough of Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect.

@Redbullet685: Because it's double posted from my personal website. I like to see the opinions of my fellow gamers on stuff like this. It doesn't hurt to have more suggestions for my non-gamer friends. This was posted on my blog here, and then shared on the forums.

@Unknown_Pleasures: Hey, thanks for your contribution.