241 Comments
Posted by Sveppi

So a HD-afied Wii U version is pretty much a forgone conclusion, right?

Posted by juicyhopfrog

This is how game reviews should be. Awesome job!

Posted by Octaslash

I had a bit of SD shock after booting up my Wii for the first time in like a year. However, the character design is great and the way they handle draw distance with those paint filters is fantastic. 

Speaking of characters, I have to say that SS has the weirdest and creepiest in the series. I found a lot of them genuinely funny.

Posted by TheMasterDS

Not having a Quest Log is pretty damn stupid considering Majora's Mask totally had a quest log of sorts.

Posted by GS_Dan

@Afroman269: It probably looks better in SD than HD, aliasing will be more obvious on the sharper image I imagine.

Posted by vhodhvhodh

Great review Patrick. Too bad I can't seem to play anything else but Skyrim, but a fresh Zelda could be a good break.

Posted by Box3ru13

Will cum face is still super creepy and hilarious

Posted by wh1terav3n

Great video review. Fairly showed every side of your argument in a way that's hard to argue.

Posted by MikkaQ

Characters look weirrrrd.

Posted by l3reak

Isn't bit you say about "occasional motion plus" use total BS? Not that those sections don't make use of the motion+ - clearly they do - but it's not as if it's the only time it's being used. The whole point of this game is that all the motion controls are only possible because of the added fidelity the motion+ grants. You say "if only this came out when the Wii launched..." but that doesn't make any sense. This game was not possible with the system at launch. You make it sound like Nintendo & everyone else had just been making games poorly, but that's not the case, really. They didn't have the same capabilities to work with.

Posted by Law313

@Hot_in_rhinos said:

@Harkat said:

Will's cum face, brilliant. I feel proud to have contributed to that.

You...contributed to his cum face? I'm just saying...wording...might want to watch it.

Hilarious,even more entertaining than the review and the game the review is about.

Posted by AV_Gamer

Nintendo really needs to get with the program when they release their next major console. It's no excuse now why there RPG flagship game still has text you have to read, instead of spoken dialog. The storyline setup for the Zelda games is getting old as well. Save Princess Zelda from some dark evil. One of the brilliant things about Ocarina of Time was that Zelda wasn't just some helpless princess, the same with the Zelda in Windwaker.

I guess the next Zelda will have the same tired story setup, only this time it'll take place in outer space.

Posted by freakin9

He tapping that yet?

Posted by Claude

@AV_Gamer said:

Nintendo really needs to get with the program when they release their next major console. It's no excuse now why there RPG flagship game still has text you have to read, instead of spoken dialog. The storyline setup for the Zelda games is getting old as well. Save Princess Zelda from some dark evil. One of the brilliant things about Ocarina of Time was that Zelda wasn't just some helpless princess, the same with the Zelda in Windwaker.

I guess the next Zelda will have the same tired story setup, only this time it'll take place in outer space.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The Zelda series is more action adventure than RPG. I haven't played this game, but from what I've read the story is one of the best in the series. Maybe we should play the game before we puke up some nonsense that we know nothing about.

Posted by OllyOxenFree

Great video review, Patrick!

Posted by Peacemaker

I want to play this, but I'll probably never get around to it. My Wii isn't hooked up and I have so much other games I want to play.

Posted by Beforet

Honestly, this has sold me on Skyward Sword. Unfortunately, this has not sold me on a Wii. Maybe if I can dolphin working...

Edited by Godlyawesomeguy

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

Pat's first solo video perhaps?

You could have worded that slightly better.

Also, I'm surprised at how terrific this video review is. I don't know why, but I expected something.......less than great.

Posted by WhiteBrightKnight

@Eujin said:

Sounds great.

I've held off on buying a Wii for ages, because most of the games I wanted for it would have played better without motion controls (I'm looking at you, Mario Galaxy.)

Having played it I'd argue Mario Galaxy plays well with motion controls, not because of the mini-gamey levels (decent but not great) but because the spin move is so awesome and easy to pull off. I think it may have been hard to do that part of the game w/o motion controls.

Posted by SamFo

Great Review, the camera loves you baby.

Posted by Neferon

Excellent Review :)

Posted by project343

@Shtinky said:

@NakAttack said:

I still think Link looks like a girl.

I find SS Link by far the worst Link character design to date.

I'm about 4 hours in, and I honestly think that this is one of my favourites. I really enjoy how playful it is, without going into the extremely-huge-headedness of Wind Waker.

Posted by buckybit

I'd so play the shit out of this game ... if I'd still be 5 years old.

Posted by Kowbrainz

Great review, but reeeeally not a fan of this 360p crap going on with the site now.

It's sometimes hard to believe the game looks spectacular as Patrick says when the video is littered with compression artifacts. :/

Posted by eltrut

Hey, Mr. Klepek....best video review ever.

Well done, GB staff.

Also, I will play this game. I liked TP, which means this one will blow my mind.

Posted by MorkaiTheWolf

Another fair review from the GiantBomb crew. All valid points and arguments but I disagree that if it came out when the Wii launched that it would have changed motion controls. I don't think the game would have performed nearly as well without the motion plus features. Either way, great review and a great one from Patrick. Keep it up Mr. Klepek.

Posted by krabboss

@AV_Gamer: I really enjoy the gibberish the characters in the game speak during dialogue, though. Sometimes they'll throw out heavily accented English words and it's great.

Posted by Lifendz

Why can't Patrick be like this during the bombcasts? Great review.

Posted by MeatSim

Patrick Klepek video review, that's a first.

Posted by Toms115

god dammit stop making me want this game. i don't have a wii. ;_;

Posted by prestonhedges

Re: the tutorial stuff, I think Nintendo takes the perspective that this will be someone's (probably a lot of people's) first Zelda game. They do sometimes go a bit far with that, though.

Posted by SlightConfuse

call me crazy but i feel voice acting might have made some sense here

Posted by MariachiMacabre

@Cornman89 said:

Aaaaaand Vinny nails the ending, as always.

Seriously.

Posted by Heath
Posted by confideration

Worth a rent, but I am genuinely pissed re: the money I spent on this console 5 years ago.

Posted by mrcraggle

I have a bunch of other games to get around to and I only just bought SR3 yesterday but I really do like Zelda games once they get going. I really didn't like TP very much at all and it's the only recent Zelda game to date I didn't bother to finish. Maybe if I had played it on the GC with a regular controller then I would have as I didn't really care for the random waggles on the Wii.

I will pick this up at some point if only to give my Wii a good send off.

Posted by Shaanyboi

I'd say this video review made a more definitive impression than the text review. Well done, Patrick.

Posted by kollay

Still seems like on the back burner of all the other games released, but hey, good ol' Link ol' buddy will still be there when you get to him, right?

Posted by Yagami

@buckybit: Just 1 more year to go for you then you can finally play it..

Posted by ProjektGill

Like some other people have said, the music used in this review was fantastic. I don't know if you guys recently got some new tracks or just never used these before, but they were great.

Awesome review Patrick. I don't own a Wii and I think hooking up motion controls for my PC in conjunction with Dolphin might be too much work for me, so I doubt I'll play Skyward Sword but the review was great nonetheless.

Posted by WilliamHenry

@Lifendz said:

Why can't Patrick be like this during the bombcasts? Great review.

Because the Podcast isn't scripted.

Posted by tadros

Great review Patrick! The ending was hilarious too! I can't wait to play this tomorrow!

Posted by WilliamHenry

@Kowbrainz said:

Great review, but reeeeally not a fan of this 360p crap going on with the site now.

It's sometimes hard to believe the game looks spectacular as Patrick says when the video is littered with compression artifacts. :/

The videos have always been 360p for non subscribers.

Posted by rudyarr

Oh the ending was perfect

Posted by Tebbit

@WhiteBrightKnight said:

@Eujin said:

Sounds great.

I've held off on buying a Wii for ages, because most of the games I wanted for it would have played better without motion controls (I'm looking at you, Mario Galaxy.)

Having played it I'd argue Mario Galaxy plays well with motion controls, not because of the mini-gamey levels (decent but not great) but because the spin move is so awesome and easy to pull off. I think it may have been hard to do that part of the game w/o motion controls.

Totally, the motion controls for the Galaxy games were never an issues for me, and in fact made some things better.

Posted by CraigAA1028

Yay it's Patrick's first video review!

Posted by Hawk456

Patrick - good pacing but find something else to do with your hands... You're "steeple-ing", and it's a sign or arrogance or over-confidence. Work on it bro.

Posted by PatVB

Ha, that ending was hilarious!

Posted by Silver-Streak

@Tebbit:

@WhiteBrightKnight:

Do not misunderstand. It's not that there is anything /wrong/ with the motion controls within Super Mario Galaxy. It's just that it plays better with a controller. At least for me.

I've played Galaxy on a Wii proper at my Fiancee's house, and taken a Galaxy disc, popped it into a computer, and then assigned all of the controls (including assigning the wiimote shake to a button) to a gamepad through Dolphin. I'm of the opinion that it plays far more accurately, and that the experience is better with the gamepad rather than on its native console.

Posted by Hector

Just got my copy. I'm loving this game so far. This and and Skyrim and I'm good till ME3.