335 Comments
Posted by VisariLoyalist

: D an hour a day of endurance run keeps me sane

Posted by Dixperiken

@Korne said:

@Cyrisaurus said:

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the potential in this ER.

With Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition, there were countless, unexpected moments that were crazy, epic, and sometimes fucking hilarious. I just don't see moments like that happening in an SNES game.

Also, because this is a well known game, that both Ryan and Patrick have played... it just... takes away the excitement of not knowing what you guys are getting yourselves into, which is what made the other ERs amazing. (Besides Vinny)

I'll stilll give this a chance, though.

I thought neither really played them much. Ryan said he has only put in a few ours till now.

Indeed. Ryan played a few hours 10 plus years ago and Patrick played it when he was thirteen. Neither of them can really remember what happens in the game so it's essentially a new experience for them both.

Posted by falling_fast

people need to chill the fuck out.

I'm having fun!

Posted by Pop

@PJ said:

@Jason_Bourne said:

@Max_Hydrogen: You do know that every ER including P4 was recorder in large chunks. They didn't play it everyday, they recorded 4 or 5 episodes at a time.

There were so many great opportunities for amazing, stupid jokes. I'm starting to see why people are so bummed out on this.

Actually no they didn't. They did do that once or twice when Jeff was out on assignment. Jeff has gone on record saying that thats not a good way of doing it since they want to be "topical" and be able to interact with the audience more and that the episodes end up to short when you record them a bunch at a time.

What they do is record the day before meaning unless they came in on Sunday, they recorded the first two episodes on monday for this ER and next mondays episode will be recorded on friday. There is very little editing to be done with and ER so they are able to do the recording and really soon after have the files ready to go online.

They don't record the day before it goes up, in the first episode Patrick said it's almost Halloween so that means they started recording last month, they record a couple of episodes each day I think they're probably done recording or almost at the end.

Posted by Shaanyboi

You guys really should've just bought the Wii version... Atleast then there isn't a fear of your battery dying.

Posted by Patman99

Im loving this so far! Makes me want to reconnect my old SNES and play through Chrono Trigger!

Posted by ROBOTTI2009

I actually like Ryan and Patrick in this - it's not just about the jokes but also what seems like a genuine excitement about the game. Keep on trucking.

Posted by Philzpilz

OK, I'm going to go and watch the p4 endurance run aagin now, thanks guys. Dammit.

Posted by Mathey

Where my Brogs at?

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

I love Brog. Grand entrance, awesome character design, excellent old-timey speech and fun animations. Damn, even those "Diablos" are adorable. Two episodes in and so far this couldn't have gone better in my opinion. Who where those haters that claimed CT wasn't unusual or quirky enough for an ER again? What the fuck was all that inane nonsense about?

Posted by vexing

When I get my MS I really want to get a hammer with "SCIENCE" carved into the handle. Hang that bad boy over my desk.

Posted by Gin_Orphan

On one hand, any ER is better than no ER, but with a game like this, which I have played inside and out 3 or 4 times, I think I am going to go crazy yelling stuff at my screen. Things like "Get the naga bromide! It's in the drawer!"
That being said, after episode 1, I knew I was hooked until the trial, for obvious reasons.

Posted by mrsmiley

@Swoxx said:

@VicRattlehead said:

@Cyrisaurus: pretty easy to not click play and go about your business... don't like don't watch pretty simple

So He's not allowed to voice his opinion in the comment section of the video?

@whylessness said:

@Cyrisaurus: Ryan hasn't played it. And Chrono Trigger is epic as shit.

He said he had in the first episode right of the bat.

He said he played it for a couple hours 10 years ago. I don't think that really counts. I never heard wether Patrick had played it or not, but I'm assuming so?

Posted by LackLuster

This is awesome so far. Keep it up!

Posted by Hunkulese

@Cyrisaurus said:

With Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition, there were countless, unexpected moments that were crazy, epic, and sometimes fucking hilarious. I just don't see moments like that happening in an SNES game.

Also, because this is a well known game, that both Ryan and Patrick have played... it just... takes away the excitement of not knowing what you guys are getting yourselves into, which is what made the other ERs amazing. (Besides Vinny)

So unexpected, crazy, epic and hilarious moments didn't occur on the SNES? What generation did we start getting unexpected, crazy, epic and hilarious moments?

I'm guessing you were born in the 90s.

Posted by VarkhanMB

@Cyrisaurus: Countless people must have responded, but I think it's a cool discussion to have.

Ryan played it some 10 years ago for a few hours and Patrick played it at launch. To me that's enough to qualify as a set of "fresh" eyes. Having played it 3 times now I am still interested in watching those guys play and I think so far it's been quality content. Sure there aren't as many opportunities to laugh out loud at stuff, but I think it's still good content.

Edited by MrKlorox

These comments are way more interesting than the content.

Posted by nxau

@MrKlorox: I hardly think they do.

Posted by ashogo

I'm liking this "add b to everything" naming convention. Brono, Barle, Bucca and Brog.

Posted by Draxyle

Recording in advance is probably to help avoid spoilers, both of the last endurance runs were spoiled by idiots before the end of them.

Loving the ER, Chrono Trigger is always weirder than I remember it every time I see it. Every piece of this game is so wonderfully handcrafted, no other RPG has a "break room" for the bad guys or other extremely silly things in it.

Posted by dvorak

@Draxyle said:

Recording in advance is probably to help avoid spoilers, both of the last endurance runs were spoiled by idiots before the end of them.

Loving the ER, Chrono Trigger is always weirder than I remember it every time I see it. Every piece of this game is so wonderfully handcrafted, no other RPG has a "break room" for the bad guys or other extremely silly things in it.

The point of the ER is basically so that they can have pre-loaded content ready to go, every day.

Also, I would assume so that the comments aren't filled with people complaining to them that they should do one thing or another as they play. Of course people are still going to do that, so whatever.

Posted by papercut

Whoa! Ryan! What are you doing!? ONE SAVE!!!

Posted by AStoutYeoman

Keep it up guys! Do it how you want. I'd rather have Ryan and Patrick's version of an Endurance Run than no Endurance Run at all. Love the content and the price is right.

Posted by fox01313

@seanfoster:

Agreed, considering the ER is outside anything currently coming out & getting reviews/QL on, they could have just started putting out the ER for subscribers only. Also if there's people out there that don't like them doing an ER of Chrono Trigger (for whatever reason) those people can always do the simple thing which is not watch it & see something else on the site instead. If there was a Rules & Regulations book for the ER, I'm sure that the folks at Giantbomb would have just set it on fire or put in just one page stating 'it's what we want to do'.

Posted by MentalDisruption

Aw they missed the Naggaetta-bromide and ran past the spikes. Ah well, interesting to watch.Looking forward to Bagus and Bobo.

Posted by dvorak

@fox01313 said:

@seanfoster:

If there was a Rules & Regulations book for the ER, I'm sure that the folks at Giantbomb would have just set it on fire or put in just one page stating 'it's what we want to do'.

The only rule, is that there are no rules!

Posted by spiceninja

Can't wait until they get to Robo and call him Brobo, or Bobo. Brobot would be best.

Posted by darkjester74

ONE SAVE ONLY!

Posted by BabyChooChoo

@damnable_fiend said:

people need to chill the fuck out.

I'm having fun!

Tis the internet where people would rather bitch and moan then get on with their lives. Why ignore something that bothers you, yet has no real effect on your life when you can post an essay on describing why you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Admittedly, I'm guilty of it too occasionally and it's a stupid habit I'm trying to break.

Posted by allgamelover

@Hector: get it on the ds if you have one and can find it. Portability, and some quite nice features of the two screens keeping info on the bottom and such.

Posted by Max_Hydrogen

@Pop said:

@PJ said:

@Jason_Bourne said:

@Max_Hydrogen: You do know that every ER including P4 was recorder in large chunks. They didn't play it everyday, they recorded 4 or 5 episodes at a time.

There were so many great opportunities for amazing, stupid jokes. I'm starting to see why people are so bummed out on this.

Actually no they didn't. They did do that once or twice when Jeff was out on assignment. Jeff has gone on record saying that thats not a good way of doing it since they want to be "topical" and be able to interact with the audience more and that the episodes end up to short when you record them a bunch at a time.

What they do is record the day before meaning unless they came in on Sunday, they recorded the first two episodes on monday for this ER and next mondays episode will be recorded on friday. There is very little editing to be done with and ER so they are able to do the recording and really soon after have the files ready to go online.

They don't record the day before it goes up, in the first episode Patrick said it's almost Halloween so that means they started recording last month, they record a couple of episodes each day I think they're probably done recording or almost at the end.

Hey there, to everyone involved: Whether previous ERs were pre-recorded (much in advance) doesn't affect anything here. And someone could always ask Jeff on Jartime if they did or not. I know it doesn't really make a difference whether these episodes were done a month ago (I probably wouldn't have noticed), it would just seem cooler if they were uploaded a soon as possible. In some strange way that just seems more "real" to me; I guess I just feel entitled.

Posted by Milkman

Quote of the day: "Let's get some ether and tonic. Get fucked up and pick up some chicks, Brono."

Posted by wumbo3000

Hey Brono do you like sunsets?

Also, Ryan what are you doing?! ONE SAVE FILE ALWAYS.

Posted by Canteu

Did i just hear him say that this game has "shitty graphics"?

I threw up in my mouth a little.

Posted by Milkman

Also, Patrick's "Video Game Yelp" idea is fantastic. Someone get on that.

Posted by guilherme

@MooseyMcMan said:

NOTHING STOPS THE ENDURANCE RUN!!!

Posted by AxleBro

@picklecannon said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Cyrisaurus said:

i feel the same way. i mean im still watching it, and its mildly entertaining, but with such an iconic well known game, and both of them having played it. often obviously pretending to not know whats going to happen but they really already know. it kinda ruins it.

i mean even little things like ryan looting the power tab and patrick instantly saying "use that, its a consumable" is a wasted moment where it would have been them trying to figure out wtf a power tab was.

i have the feeling i'll quickly get tired of this, as well as most people who have played through CT.

Even small things like patrick remembering that zombor was on zenan bridge takes away from the mystery and discovery of an ER where both players dont know the game.

you realize that jeff had played a big chunk of his own copy of persona 4 beforehand right? he said so himself. he just couldn't finish it at home. and both of them a few things beforehand such as naoto actually being a chick.

Posted by PinkSoda

Brog joins in on the fun!

Posted by avantegardener

2 saves... hmm this seems highly illegal.

Posted by Bane122

Can't wait to see their reaction to naming a character Bobo.

Posted by ThePickle

Already feeling my preconceived notions of "meh" are being tossed aside. I did wish they did silly voices for all text though.

Posted by Milkman

@picklecannon said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Cyrisaurus said:

i feel the same way. i mean im still watching it, and its mildly entertaining, but with such an iconic well known game, and both of them having played it. often obviously pretending to not know whats going to happen but they really already know. it kinda ruins it.

i mean even little things like ryan looting the power tab and patrick instantly saying "use that, its a consumable" is a wasted moment where it would have been them trying to figure out wtf a power tab was.

i have the feeling i'll quickly get tired of this, as well as most people who have played through CT.

Even small things like patrick remembering that zombor was on zenan bridge takes away from the mystery and discovery of an ER where both players dont know the game.

What the fuck is wrong with you people? "Mystery and discovery of an ER?" It's just a dumb funny thing! I swear, some of you people are sick in the head when it comes to the Endurance Run. Christ.

Posted by Vague_Optimism

@2:46, Ryan turns into a Mogwai.

Posted by TobiasParker

@Canteu: He was talking about the lightning/fire icons on the status screen. His next sentence was literally "in a game with such great art assets why did they use something that looks like it was done in paintpro"

Posted by Losfer

"Hey Brono, do you like sunsets?"

*Shakes head.*

Edited by MasturbatingestBear

@RockmanBionics said:

@picklecannon said:

Wait, that was a real thing? That's bull! They shouldn't mention things that're coming up if they recall them, I haven't played (much) of this game before myself.

Apart from that I'm really enjoying this so far, and I really don't think they remember as much as other people do or think that they do. I've played past this point some years ago myself but didn't remember the nun-part, or what followed, at all.

It is not a spoiler at all though. Its a very minor boss battle and he has nothing to do with the plot. Patrick clearly isn't remembering too much. If he wanted to influence Ryan a lot he could just have got him to this part of the game in 20 minutes, rather than an hour.

Also Brog is awesome. Hopefully they call Robo, Brobo.

Posted by Codeacious

@Bane122: I was just thinking about that. Are they commiting that scheme to EVERY character?

Posted by SlightConfuse

@Cyrisaurus said:

i think a frog man jumping out of the ceiling a killing dudes is quirky unexpected

Posted by Renachan
@isnipeyoudie: They are totally committing to that scheme. And then if they do pick up a certain optional party member, that member will be the odd duck out XD 

I am really enjoying this myself, this is making me think I need to grab my own copy when I'm home for the holidays. That or finally get around to getting the DS remake.