150 Comments
  • 150 results
Posted by Addfwyn

@noisyturtle: FFXIII-2 is not even close to linear. Outside of the opening hour or so, the game is really wide open, almost overwhelmingly so at times. Pretty wide open areas, ton of side stuff to do, time travel mechanics, multiple ending paths, there's a lot there.

Posted by noisyturtle

Well if I ever want to play another linear on-a-rail rpg that's basically a tech demo....

Posted by permastun

I'll reserve optimism so I can't be disappointed.

Posted by mewarmo990

For all the (deserved) criticism of the Japanese industry and its general lack of innovation these days, this article was nice to read. For a developer as conservative as Square to finally open its eyes to good practices we in the West consider industry standard, can only be a good sign.

Posted by Wonloong

@jamBOT said:

Oh god.....Final Fantasy 7 is not the best one, please let it go already.

Final Fantasy 10 is the best one!

That and 9. I loved 9 so much it hurts my manly heart. Still have a man crush on Vivi.

Posted by crithon

babysteps, but actually a good things for Square learning from their mistakes. Honestly I wish they did this before on other games like FF12 Revenant Wing and Heroes of Mana on DS where they were doing babysteps into an RTS game with the DS touch screen. This was 4 years ago, but makes me wonder what it'd be like if they took a stab at it again on iphone or ipad. But hey, Square is slightly improving which is a good thing.

Posted by jamBOT

Oh god.....Final Fantasy 7 is not the best one, please let it go already.

Final Fantasy 10 is the best one!

Posted by Wipeout

@Renachan said:

I would also toss The World Ends With You on the pile, a DS game that is pretty high on my all time RPG and just plain game list.

Absolutely. I've got your back on this - The World Ends with You is secretly one of the best JRPG's ever made. And I'm an old, crotchety jaded man by this point, so holding my attention as well as FF6/7 did back in the day is quite a feat.

Posted by Renachan
@paskaroni said:

I haven't sunk my teeth into a JPRG since FFVII. What have I missed?

I would also toss The World Ends With You on the pile, a DS game that is pretty high on my all time RPG and just plain game list. Lots of fun and well worth hunting down.  Beyond that, Atlus has done a lot of interesting games that others have mentioned. I do think X is the best FF since VII, but I also think VII while a great game gets overrated and also VIII was fun. 

Another thing I would toss out is XII had a lot going for it, even if a lot of people ignored it. Best battle system out of a FF game I think, wonderful return to high fantasy like VI and earlier had, and interesting characters. Story could have been a bit better but I feel in love with the world there and really feel like they put a lot into it. 

I am also very very tempted to rec the .hack series to you, but those game series are not everyone's cup of tea. I fell in love with the fiction and fell the fighting system good in all three series, but I would say the G.U. trilogy had a stronger battle system.  More or less the big plot there is a big MMO in the future has people falling into a coma while playing with it, and also some A.I. tied up in there. Very 15 minutes in the future with good mix of humor and drama in it. Some people get scared by how much there is to the universe, but you can stick to just the games if you want to. You are fine jumping into G.U. trilogy without playing the first tetralogy for example.
Posted by DillonWerner

i like alligators

Posted by XartaX

"making our latest Endurance Run well-timed"

*picardpalm*

Anywas I figured out junctioning when I was like 10. If you didn't you're not very bright :D

I still think FFVII was the best one, but I'm prepared to consider the idea that it's mostly due to nostalgia. Doesn't change the fact that I think it was the best one, though.

Posted by Fwankenstein

Hm from the sounds of it I might be checking in on the FF series...4 games down the line maybe.

Posted by circle_of_iron

Well - they're saying all the right things... now we have to wait and see if they do the right things...

Edited by Konanda

@zoner said:

@MormonWarrior said:

@zoner said:

@MormonWarrior said:

@paskaroni said:

Final Fantasy VIII, IX and X were all vastly better than VII. Not so sure about XII because it didn't even feel like Final Fantasy, and the MMO was dumb. I haven't even wanted to try XIII. Dragon Quest VIII was good, and Persona 3 and 4 are cool. It's a genre that's been really floundering for years though. I know that's what's up and not that my tastes have totally changed because I picked up Chrono Trigger a couple years ago with no 16-bit RPG nostalgia tied to it in any way and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played, so...yeah, JRPGs just kinda suck now.

I'm sorry, but I'll give you 9 and 10. But 8 might be one of the dumbest Final Fantasy games to ever exist with one of the must unlikable protags ever created in video games. Don't even get me started on the draw system.

Xenoblade is the best JRPG on consoles in years though. So, of course, we're not getting it. Handhelds have tons of great JRPGs. Solatorobo, Trails in the Sky, Ys, Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, the Four Warriors of Light, etc

It's hard to take you seriously when the games you list off as "great" JRPGs (besides Xenoblade) are middling, mediocre, or even kinda terrible. VIII was my introduction to the series and I still think it got the characters and their interactions better than any other game in the series. I played VII almost 10 years after its release and actually hated it, characters, story, gameplay and all. I think it's HORRIBLY overrated, but it did make some interesting strides that led to VIII and IX. IX is magical and I want to replay it most, after I've actually gotten around to Chrono Cross.

And another general comment about a weird language thing that people do a lot: saying "one of the dumbest" instead of taking an actual stand of "the dumbest" makes your argument really weak and noncommittal. Like if I said Gears of War 3 was "one of the best Gears of War games ever." In 23 years there have been twelve main-series FF games, not counting remakes or spinoffs or MMOs. Since it could be argued that I-VI were very different kinds of games from VII-current, there's not really a lot to pick from. Take a stand if you feel that way, man.

You tell me that I'm not committed to the stand when you simply state that the games I listed are middling, mediocre, or even kinda terrible (Kinda terrible? That sounds weak and noncommittal, bro) with no reasoning whatsoever? Maybe you should take some of your own 'weird language' cues.

FFVIII was fantastic and quite divisive just like XIII. Mostly because people couldn't figure out how certain mechanics of the game worked namely junctioning, drawing and magic. I don't fault you for not liking FFVIII but it deserves way more credit than you are giving it.

Posted by Phonics

@vinsanityv22 said:

Holy crap - they actually DID tweak storytelling and added in dialogue/conversation trees, like in western RPGs! Link: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/01/this-is-final-fantasy-xiii-2s-travelling-merchant-chocolina/. They actually DID listen to a lot of feedback and changed things up. The storytelling is what I most concerned about - FFXIII was loaded with derivative characters, and also-rans of past character arcs and dumb, sub-anime plots. The game played fine, but it was impossible to listen to - kind of a problem in an RPG. I am totally onboard FFXIII-2 now. All the other tweaks, to the world design, the characters, the storytelling -- Yoshinori Kitase is genuine in his attempt to right what went wrong here!

I didn't play FF13 but multiple choice dialogue in a final fantasy is just dumb and sounds terrible. 'Are you a hunter?' bitch please. Final Fantasy for me has always been about seeing the events unravel and the linearity NEVER bothered me. Guess people want this banal mass effect shit with horrible filler dialogue these days.

Posted by vinsanityv22

Holy crap - they actually DID tweak storytelling and added in dialogue/conversation trees, like in western RPGs! Link: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/01/this-is-final-fantasy-xiii-2s-travelling-merchant-chocolina/. They actually DID listen to a lot of feedback and changed things up. The storytelling is what I most concerned about - FFXIII was loaded with derivative characters, and also-rans of past character arcs and dumb, sub-anime plots. The game played fine, but it was impossible to listen to - kind of a problem in an RPG. I am totally onboard FFXIII-2 now. All the other tweaks, to the world design, the characters, the storytelling -- Yoshinori Kitase is genuine in his attempt to right what went wrong here!

Edited by Axersia
@Faint said:

@NaCl: I think the last respectable games from the company were the original Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X. KH2 was mildly interesting, and since then he's pumped out what... like, 5 spin off titles with recycled material on portables that no one cares about? It's almost like the company has this cocky attitude that they can put out anything and the consumer will like it, when in contrast you've got Naughty Dog who are calling in fans of the game to make tiny tweaks to their shooting mechanics that most people wouldn't even notice. It really puts Japanese game design in perspective.  

That may be your perception of the series as an outsider, but within the fanbase KH2 is generally considered a major improvement over the first game, and every subsequent game has improved on it even further in both gameplay and storytelling. Birth by Sleep has received universal praise and is one of the top 10 best-selling games on the PSP -- performing better than games like Peace Walker and Ghost of Sparta.  

Nomura is probably one of the few people at Square Enix that does listen to his fans and always has. People were disappointed about the complete lack of verticality to the levels in KH2, so all games since then have featured ample platforming opportunity, and KH3D is gonna have some crazy-ass Prince of Persia-like wall-jumping and pole-swinging.

Now I really can't speak for the FF series or Square Enix as a company, but these assumptions you make about no one caring for KH are just plain wrong, and I find that at least Nomura has always kept a close bond with his fans (at least regarding the KH series).
Edited by SpikeSpiegel88

@audiophyle: That was FFXIIIs biggest downfall.. They tried to "cater to a more western audience", that was said troughout their initial campaining..FF1-12 all did great here so why they would say/do such things is beyond me.

Posted by dragonzord

@MormonWarrior said:

@zoner said:

@MormonWarrior said:

@paskaroni said:

Final Fantasy VIII, IX and X were all vastly better than VII. Not so sure about XII because it didn't even feel like Final Fantasy, and the MMO was dumb. I haven't even wanted to try XIII. Dragon Quest VIII was good, and Persona 3 and 4 are cool. It's a genre that's been really floundering for years though. I know that's what's up and not that my tastes have totally changed because I picked up Chrono Trigger a couple years ago with no 16-bit RPG nostalgia tied to it in any way and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played, so...yeah, JRPGs just kinda suck now.

I'm sorry, but I'll give you 9 and 10. But 8 might be one of the dumbest Final Fantasy games to ever exist with one of the must unlikable protags ever created in video games. Don't even get me started on the draw system.

Xenoblade is the best JRPG on consoles in years though. So, of course, we're not getting it. Handhelds have tons of great JRPGs. Solatorobo, Trails in the Sky, Ys, Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, the Four Warriors of Light, etc

It's hard to take you seriously when the games you list off as "great" JRPGs (besides Xenoblade) are middling, mediocre, or even kinda terrible. VIII was my introduction to the series and I still think it got the characters and their interactions better than any other game in the series. I played VII almost 10 years after its release and actually hated it, characters, story, gameplay and all. I think it's HORRIBLY overrated, but it did make some interesting strides that led to VIII and IX. IX is magical and I want to replay it most, after I've actually gotten around to Chrono Cross.

And another general comment about a weird language thing that people do a lot: saying "one of the dumbest" instead of taking an actual stand of "the dumbest" makes your argument really weak and noncommittal. Like if I said Gears of War 3 was "one of the best Gears of War games ever." In 23 years there have been twelve main-series FF games, not counting remakes or spinoffs or MMOs. Since it could be argued that I-VI were very different kinds of games from VII-current, there's not really a lot to pick from. Take a stand if you feel that way, man.

You tell me that I'm not committed to the stand when you simply state that the games I listed are middling, mediocre, or even kinda terrible (Kinda terrible? That sounds weak and noncommittal, bro) with no reasoning whatsoever? Maybe you should take some of your own 'weird language' cues.

Posted by Guided_By_Tigers

I'm surprised this is shipping with only one DVD on Xbox 360.....I guess getting rid of CG cutscenes helps a lot.

Posted by theredace

It's settled. Open-world Final Fantasy. Go.

Edited by vinsanityv22

This was eye-opening. I knew that Square was behind the times (If given the superpower to do so, I'd imagine they'd stop the evolution of technology right in the PS2 era where they reigned supreme. They really don't seem to have adapted well to current gen game-making techniques, programs or engines), but hearing that it took the acquisition of Eidos - and talking to teams like Crystal Dynamics, IO and Eidos Montreal - to think to do focus testing BEFORE a game ships is maddening. Oh my god....

That being said, I feel like Kitase and crew have genuinely wanted to correct a lot of what went wrong with FFXIII with this sequel. Gameplay-wise, it immediately strikes me like it's going to be the stronger game between the two. I just hope they listened to feedback regarding storytelling too - the no.1 problem with FFXIII (and many other current gen Square games) are the terrible characters and dialogue. They just grab derivative anime tropes from stupid manga, Tetsuya Nomura's "imagination" or older Final Fantasy games, and make worse versions of them. Not one line of dialogue from anybody who wasn't Lightning or Sazh sounded natural. Vanille was just "bubbly cheerleader" in the vein of Yuffie, Selphie or Rikku (except worse than all three), Hope was just token whiny/melodramatic kid, Snow was Sora 2.0 (complete with the same facial expressions!), etc. It's lazy, obnoxious and limits the story you can tell when you're just recycling these one-dimensional personalities. Anyone who defends characters like this are likely pre-teens who've only played Kingdom Hearts games. But anyone who has played Knights of the Old Republic, a contemporary Elder Scrolls or Fallout game, Radiant Historia or anything like that, knows that RPG stories can be much, much better than what Final Fantasy is currently producing. Even the Dragon Quest games, which are waaaaay simpler in scope, are much better (and more charming) at storytelling. Which is obvious to anyone whose played one, or Chrono Trigger (remember, Yuji Horii wrote that one, too!)

If they fixed the storytelling - and if they've been talking to Eidos Montreal and listening to feedback on the first game, they should have - this game is a must buy for me! I'm still holding out for reviews though. Final Fantasy XIII played fine, it was just a complete pain in the ass to listen to. Except for Lightning, who seemed to hate everyone as much as I did ;)

Here's hoping Final Fantasy XV actually does, like, conversation trees or something. Catch them up to where western RPGs have been for YEARS now. Final Fantasy (and Dragon Quest) were both the Japanese answer to western games like Ultima, Might & Magic and Wizardry. Why shouldn't modern FF's be the Japanese Skyrim or Dragon Age? That much depth, those great stories, but with better presentation, music, visuals and battle systems?

Posted by ptys

Always a good read Patrick. Would love to hear what they think of Mass Effect.

Edited by Faint

@NaCl: Couldn't agree more. I think the last respectable games from the company were the original Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X. Unlike XIII this generation, X brought FF into that generation of consoles in an interesting style. Coincidentally, KH and FFX were among the last games released before they became Square Enix. With Nobou Uematsu gone, his replacement Musashi Hamauzu also gone and the creator Sakaguchi gone, you really have to wonder what is going on at the company. Tetsuya Nomura in my opinion has too much say at the company. His ideas are repetitive and uninteresting. KH2 was mildly interesting, and since then he's pumped out what... like, 5 spin off titles with recycled material on portables that no one cares about? It's almost like the company has this cocky attitude that they can put out anything and the consumer will like it, when in contrast you've got Naughty Dog who are calling in fans of the game to make tiny tweaks to their shooting mechanics that most people wouldn't even notice. It really puts Japanese game design in perspective.

Posted by Hampe

I got to see a preview of this game as Kitase visited Swedenthis November.

I will be honest. I still haven't played through Final Fantasy XIII. Most of the time I fought with the extremely corridor driven game of being either really boring or having some characters that made me straight away angry. The fiction is really cool, but isn't explained in a good way in the game. I couldn't really grasp the difference between what a l'cie and fal'cie was after reading into it on the internet.

That said; I was huuuugely impressed by the demo we were given at the event when Kitase visited. I'm totally in for XIII-2 and have already pre-ordered it. I think that the makers of XIII really want a game like this to take a liking from the western public, so it's great that they really take the time showing it off and talking about faults. That is what in the end might make a big difference, if not now, maybe in the future. Both for the company and the game.

Posted by Twiggy199
Wish i didn't have to google roman numerals every time a game uses them i only know IV 'n' V. Sad face
Posted by Rheinmetall

It would be an excellent idea for Square Enix to read the feedback from social network sites, or gaming sites, to realize how much damage they have done during the past ten years to all those rpg franchises of the once great Square company.

Posted by tekmojo
@Enigma777 said:
It would have been nice if they changed that goddamn in-game font.  God I hate that fucking hate that font so much...
I've just now realized it, eye sore. 
Posted by Brackynews

Dig Deeper into Isamu Kamikokuryou

I love Giant Bomb.

Posted by Hostile

@Marz said:

While FFXIII-2 might be a leap forward from FFXIII.... it's really not the next FF game people wanted...

The FF game people don't even know what they want.

Posted by tobygw

I've never played a Final Fantasy game before, it would be foolish to start now.

Posted by Xymox

"and it really strikes my curiosity to see if I were to create something like that...how I would design a game, or the characters, or the world?”" Well, first there would be this androgynous male, and it turns out his father is a dragon. He meets up with this girl, who has green hair, and they fall in love. The boy meets his father, and he sends him on all these quests to kill people, but then he finds out that the dragon had been lying to him and was really the nemesis of his father, and his real father is chained up under a huge ice-mountain in the north. They set off together with a group of people they've met during this time (and only 3 of them are visible on screen at any one time, yet all of them are in the cutscenes), to free his father, and eventually to confront his nemesis, the Arch Dragon. It turns out, during this final cutscene, that the green haired girl is the daughter of the nemesis and is also dragonborn.

Posted by LostFlock

I enjoyed FF13 for what it was, so im interested in what they're bringing for the sequel, especially since this is another step closer to Versus 13.

Edited by NaCl

@Faint said:

I'm not holding my breath for anything great coming from this game. I think they lost the Final Fantasy 'vibe' many years ago after the PS1/ early PS2 era, and it hasn't returned. I can't necessarily tell that what that is with words, but it's crucial they rediscover it and elaborate meaningfully on it.

They have long lost their "touch".

IMO FFX is the last game that has any of the "magic".

The company we loved, the company that made FFVI, Chrono Trigger and Vagrant Story, the company called SquareSoft ... is dead.

All that we have left now is an impostor called Square Enix.

They have lost many talented people over the years ... and it's the people that make the company. I have a feeling all that's left in that company are the uninspired drones that just want a pay check - all the people with passion and guts have already left for whatever reason.

The company has been slowly mis-managed toward death since the merger.

Posted by StingingVelvet

I liked JRPGs on the SNES when I was 12-13 years old. Final Fantasy 3(VI) was my favorite, followed by Secret of Mana coop with my best friend.

That said, I haven't liked them since. The idea of playing one today is similar to eating moldy bread... why would I when I have new and fresh bread? I switched to PC gaming and Western RPGs around '95 and haven't looked back.

Posted by probablytuna

Pretty surprised that focus testing is not a key element in the Japanese game development. This is probably one of the most important process to figure out whether a game mechanic works or not for a player.

Posted by MormonWarrior

@zoner said:

@MormonWarrior said:

@paskaroni said:

Edited by Enigma777

It would have been nice if they changed that goddamn in-game font. 

God I hate that fucking font so much...

Posted by Koobasta

Personally enjoyed FF XIII, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Posted by prestonhedges

Final Fantasy XIII-2 art director Isamu Kamikokuryo had a particular eye for Western games, showing admiration for Rockstar GamesRed Dead Redemption, and jealousy after I said I’d played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ahead of release (remember, this is back in October).

“I really enjoyed the previous rendition [The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion],” said Kamikokuryo, “but the graphic quality for this new one is just extremely impressive, and it really strikes my curiosity to see if I were to create something like that...how I would design a game, or the characters, or the world?”

Maybe he'll have a chance with the Final Fantasy game, which is most likely already well into development.

"Which is most likely already well into development." Man, if that isn't a snide way of saying "He won't be able to do any of that with this game because it's almost finished," I don't know what is. And what's the point of mentioning Skyrim at all? Isn't this article supposed to be covering Final Fantasy XIII-2? If it's to get people to read the article, good on you, but if it's to take the spotlight off this man's game (which I don't actually care about at all), then that's just odd.

Posted by Faint

I found it very interesting that they seemed to only have limited knowledge of the latest developments with western RPG's. I know that Isamu said he played a bit of Red Dead and Elder Scrolls IV, and I realise they are hard workers and would have little time for games, but if you want to tap into a global audience, you need to know what is the buzz is in the industry. It's been clear for pretty much this whole generation of consoles that JRPGs aren't front runners any more for must have games, whereas they were among the best games of the last gen and particular the dominant PS2. Perhaps they need to take a step back, look at what's working for other games and work out what they can draw on from the western market to strengthen their product. They can't just rely on having the best graphics in the industry any more, because they don't.

Posted by Faint

I'm not holding my breath for anything great coming from this game. I think they lost the Final Fantasy 'vibe' many years ago after the PS1/ early PS2 era, and it hasn't returned. I can't necessarily tell that what that is with words, but it's crucial they rediscover it and elaborate meaningfully on it.

Posted by golguin

There were some things I enjoyed about FF13 and some things I didn't enjoy that could easily be fixed. It's just a question of what feedback was implemented in FF13-2.

Edited by sickVisionz

I'd like to see there take on Skyrim. Maybe the dialog scenes wouldn't be so assy and just a character shifting from left to right.

@InfiniteGeass said:

I really enjoyed FFXIII. It was my first FF game and I eagerly await to play this one.

I'm in the same camp as this guy.

Posted by Y2Ken

I actually loved a lot of stuff about XIII. The battle system is possibly my favourite yet (yes it seems simplified at first but once you accept that it's doing what you would be doing then it lets you take a good bigger picture view, and you can still do stuff manually if you like). The linearity was the only issue, although I sort of enjoyed that as my biggest FF problem in the past was worrying about missing areas or going there in the wrong order.

So yeah, pretty excited for this.

Posted by falling_fast

I would be really interested to hear their take on skyrim now that they've probably gotten to play it.

Posted by Xeiphyer

I have a feeling FFXIII-2 is going to be pretty awesome. 

FFXIII was okay, especially considering the shitty development cycle, but more importantly it looks like the actually paid attention to what all the fans were saying and took it to heart. All the videos they have released so far have focused on showing all the things the original were missing. 

A lot of people that don't like JRPGs always show up to hate on them, which is stupid at best, but they definitely have valid points. I think FFXIII tried to improve JRPGs and elevate and innovate them, it just had a flawed execution. So hopefully this one will be a lot better.

Also, I would LOVE to see a AAA Japanese studio make their rendition of a Skyrim style game.

Posted by InfiniteGeass

@SpikeSpiegel88: I tried FFX already and got a decent way through it before encountering a boss that can one shot your whole party. I haven't gone back to the game since. It seemed like an OK game, but I still like XIII more.

Edited by SpikeSpiegel88

@InfiniteGeass: You really should backtrack and check out the earlier titles;)

On Topic: For the 100th time, Jap+eng-sub=99% more likely to buy it. I still haven't completed 13, not far of, but I really have to intention of completing it any time soon. Ill read up on the ending and then just go straight into this IF it delivers what is promises, and japanaese vocals would help me tollerate the cheese to a bearable lvl. Thats something that still seems to be present unfortunatly..

Edited by iWonder

@paskaroni said:

Final Fantasy VIII was pretty cool. Also showed that Nobuo Uematsu could continue making badass soundtracks.

Final Fantasy IX had strangely endearing characters, and backed away from the melodrama and seriousness of the previous.

It's... debatably gone downhill from Final Fantasy X.

As for non FF things,

The Kingdom Hearts series unfortunately proved you could not only make some money on a game banking solely on nostalgia, but also that you could even make a franchise that banked solely on nostalgia. And not just a little money - a fuck ton of it. Look up some sales for it. But it was also a pretty bombass game, and a neat mix of eastern / non-eastern characters, though the use of said characters was pretty predicting, and forgettable. Sephiroth shows up. Cloud broods. Sid appears. There's anime-style main characters. There's melodrama.

Rogue Galaxy was amazing, namely because it actually pushed the envelope a bit, had a great translation, as well as a (mostly) great VO cast. And while it tried to still do some sappy melodrama in certain places, it certainly wasn't as overblown as KH or most of FF. Some of the mechanics in it were a really well-designed factory system, having shops get new items as you leveled (I had never seen this used in a JRPG prior to this. As a reference, this game came out in 2005 in Japan.), a great active battle system, and most importantly it had bosses that kept changing it up on you (some of them were ridiculously hard, like Dego's boss fight, and the boss fight in the two towers was too easy, (and the fact that there were two of them just made me even more over-leveled by the time I got to the second one) but most were well-balanced.)

Also, Persona 4 happened. You should probably watch the endurance run of it.

• 150 results