106 Comments
  • 106 results
Posted by TEHMAXXORZ

Some very interesting results. Glad Trenched Brigade got on a list, because that game is awesome!

Posted by BraveToaster

This is pretty neat.

Posted by Vinny_Says

when I look back at it....yeah Gears of War 3 is fucking amazing....imma play it right now!

Posted by SMTDante89

I'm not sure ilomilo should be included in two of the lists because some people (myself included) actually got to play the game last year through that website that gave away codes for the demo (and could purchase the full game through it), but I guess technically the game was "officially" released this year. That's your call to make though.

Other than that, really awesome data, it's interesting to see what games GB users did (and didn't) play.

Posted by Marino

@SMTDante89: As per ilomilo, yeah, I thought about it. But I went with the official 360 release date on it. If you're curious, if I were to remove it, Fruit Ninja Kinect would jump in at #10.

Staff
Posted by louiedog

Hooray! I'm one of the 12 people who played the least played XBLA game on the list! I didn't enjoy it.

Posted by overjoyedpants

trenched is way better than iron brigade. dont know why people would play it.

Edited by TopSteer

On the Top Ten Most Played Games Not Reviewed By Giantbomb, Torchlight and ilomilo were reviewed by Brad and Ryan reviewed You Don't Know Jack.

Posted by cstrang

Oh, God, do I love raw data.

Posted by ez123

Cool stuff. I was looking at # of players the other day and got depressed by Ms Splosion Man barely having 2k. Bastion is a monster, the XBLA games that make it big is always bewildering to me. I would have thought that Skyrim would be higher than Gears by now.

The Crimson Alliance number is meaningless because it includes the trial version of the game.

Posted by Marino

@TopSteer said:

On the Top Ten Most Played Games Not Reviewed By Giantbomb, Torchlight and ilomilo were reviewed by Brad and Ryan reviewed You Don't Know Jack.

Brad reviewed the PC version two years ago, so I didn't include it as this was for the XBLA version. But you got me on YDKJ. I fixed it, so now Fight Night Champion jumps in at #10.

Staff
Posted by Vexxan

Numbers! For science!

Posted by Centimani

Gosh, I would have LOVED IT to see Bastion over Skyrim. So close...

Posted by bobafettjm

I love these types of posts.

Posted by kalmis

More people should play Xotic

Posted by TopSteer

@Marino: Yeah, I completely forgot about Torchlight having a PC review. Apparently I'm wrong about ilomilo too, I was sure Brad reviewed it. I could've sworn I seen Brad's avatar and the review score on the page. I think I'm going crazy.

Posted by Marino

@ez123 said:

The Crimson Alliance number is meaningless because it includes the trial version of the game.

I debated whether or not to include it because of this, but decided to go ahead and leave it on there.

If I took it out of the XBLA chart, Fruit Ninja Kinect would be #10. If I took it out of the Not Reviewed chart, Warhammer 40K: Kill Team would take the #10 spot.

Staff
Posted by Gamer_152

You are a crazy person for compiling all this. Interesting stuff though, great job Marino.

Posted by MideonNViscera

Did GB seriously not review DA2, or just not the 360 version? Shitty thing about the achievement stats is that it's pretty clear it's really just a "top 10 easy achievements" list, but what can ya do.

Funny to see more players for L.A. Noire than Skyrim. PS3 must get a shitload of the Skyrimmers.

Posted by Winternet

Damn, more people here played L.A. Noire on the 360 than Skyrim. And a lot of Bulletstorm as well.

Posted by Marino
@MideonNViscera

Did GB seriously not review DA2, or just not the 360 version? Shitty thing about the achievement stats is that it's pretty clear it's really just a "top 10 easy achievements" list, but what can ya do.

Funny to see more players for L.A. Noire than Skyrim. PS3 must get a shitload of the Skyrimmers.

There's a reason they didn't review DA2, but I'm not gonna get into it.

As for Skyrim, I'm betting a ton were on PC. Probably not near as many on PS3.
Staff
Posted by MideonNViscera

@Marino said:

@MideonNViscera

There's a reason they didn't review DA2, but I'm not gonna get into it. As for Skyrim, I'm betting a ton were on PC. Probably not near as many on PS3.

haha I guess I can draw my own conclusions on that one.

Posted by JRock3x8

I have determined two immutable laws as a result of reading all this :

1) you guys are f---ing crazy

and

2) I Love You.

Posted by Guided_By_Tigers

Cool stuff good job Dan Marino.

Posted by Diometrics

Sorry to be nit-picky, but Rugby World Cup 2011 was a full retail release, rather than an XBLA one, not that it really matters except its made it onto the least played XBLA list. But this is a brilliant piece of work, nonetheless.

Posted by dudeglove

This needs some sort of crazy graph.

Posted by Marino

@Diometrics said:

Sorry to be nit-picky, but Rugby World Cup 2011 was a full retail release, rather than an XBLA one, not that it really matters except its made it onto the least played XBLA list. But this is a brilliant piece of work, nonetheless.

Good catch. I've fixed it. Now Yar's Revenge is the #10 least played XBLA game.

Staff
Posted by GrandMarshal
Posted by Marino

@dudeglove said:

This needs some sort of crazy graph.

What criteria would you want to see?

Staff
Posted by dudeglove

@Marino: Line graph over time? Probably way too much damn work. Either that or wacky pie chart. Or just take all that info you posted and get someone like buzz_clik to make a pretty infographic out of it (not that it isn't pretty already).

Posted by ZagZagovich

Rayman origins stat is the saddest one. I didn't buy it either though... Maybe in 10 years there will be a time for Rayman.

Posted by Encephalon

Just mindblowing. You're a beautiful madman, Marino.

Posted by TaliciaDragonsong

Casuals rule..

Posted by Marino

I've added another category, which I don't know why wasn't included originally.

But, there's now a list for the Top 10 Most Played Games That Did NOT Get a Quick Look. Showin' some love for all those sports games.

Staff
Posted by bkbroiler

These are awesome stats!

I'm one of those people that played LA Noire and not Skyrim. Kind of wish I hadn't played it...

Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun

guess a lot of people suck at NHL 12

Posted by mandude

Considering From Dust was panned, it sure does get played a lot.

Posted by Grilledcheez

I love you

Posted by LiquidSwords

IT'S FULL OF NUMBERS!

Posted by Tordah

Interesting data. I actually own and have played Xotic on Steam. It's not half bad. Maybe they just marketed it poorly for the XBLA version (or not at all would be my guess).

Posted by Enigma777

Great blog. That "Top 10 Least Played Games Reviewed by Giant Bomb" list makes me sad... So much wasted effort.

Posted by Marino

@mandude said:

Considering From Dust was panned, it sure does get played a lot.

Now you know why every developer wants in on the Summer of Arcade.

Staff
Posted by tescovee

damn and to think i played cursed crusader just to get on a list and still lost.

Posted by AhmadMetallic

Awesome numbers man, great work.

Posted by Sweep

I am 11,000 of the people playing Gears Of War 3.

Posted by Marino

@Sweep said:

I am 11,000 of the people playing Gears Of War 3.

I knew people that used to quad-box EverQuest, but what you're doing takes true skill.

Staff
Edited by countinhallways

This is some obscenely interesting stuff right here. Thanks for taking the time to compile this!

I do love me some raw data.

Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials

Blows me away that LA Noire beat Skyrim. And Batman.

I guess it's because LA Noire had problems on the PS3, and 360 was the only other platform (at launch) so it got the bulk of the players. Whereas many people got the PC version of Skyrim, and the PS3 version of Batman was OK, so the 360 wouldn't dominate as much for those games.

Posted by Sparklykiss

Oh man, I love numbers. You're slightly crazy for doing all of this. And I can admit that I didn't know what some of those least played titles even were. Madness.

• 106 results