188 Comments
  • 188 results
Posted by cyraxible

@A_Deep_Mushroom: Which part was that jab at?

Posted by M3rlin

@Dr_Rofl: Another buyer right here!

Posted by HaltIamReptar

@CptBedlam said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I agree with him, sadly! I wish I could be fucking stoked for Half-Life like everyone else on the planet, but I think Half-Life 2 is an incredibly boring game. I will say that episode 1 and 2 are good! but not great.

I have to agree as well. I had to force myself to finish HL2 back when it came out. Never played the episodes though... well... I started Episode 1 but it bored me so much that I stopped playing after 1 or 2 hours.

Half-Life games have a very specific pacing and sense of place. Pacing is the Half-Life series. If you aren't into how the game flows, then they are not for you. It's a holistic experience.

People who praise the games for individual parts are crazy people.

Posted by shotodrag

Awesome! Thanks for answering my question, Jeff!

For what it's worth, I did enjoy Lords of Shadow, and will give any game in the series a chance. Even Judgment. Yes. Even Judgment.

Posted by Max_Cherry

Dubstep is destroying our kids! Also, Swing Dancing's back and swing dancing is sex.

Posted by kishinfoulux

Fantastic stuff as always. Whether I agree or not I love hearing Jeff's thoughts.

Posted by Hardtarget

that fact that jeff doesn't want, no, doesn't crave!, episode 3 makes me so sad

Edited by CptBedlam

@HaltIamReptar said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I agree with him, sadly! I wish I could be fucking stoked for Half-Life like everyone else on the planet, but I think Half-Life 2 is an incredibly boring game. I will say that episode 1 and 2 are good! but not great.

I have to agree as well. I had to force myself to finish HL2 back when it came out. Never played the episodes though... well... I started Episode 1 but it bored me so much that I stopped playing after 1 or 2 hours.

Half-Life games have a very specific pacing and sense of place. Pacing is the Half-Life series. If you aren't into how the game flows, then they are not for you. It's a holistic experience.

I was really into HL1 ...that game had a fantastic sense of place. But HL2 just felt like random locations stitched together and none of the locations was especially exciting. On top of that, none of the characters appealed to me (or rather: they tried too hard to appeal to me), Gordon still not speaking felt out of place and the ending was pretty terrible.

Posted by mrangryface

Great episode as always

Posted by CodeHero

I'd like to see an SSD in the next console, and would love it if every game was available as a download at launch. Hopefully they would also make a version without an optical drive to considerably decrease the size.

Posted by RVonE

@Mdk5631 said:

That thing Jeff said about Solider of Fortune being humor and not gore is BS.

That game came out when I was like 15 and my friends and I where not like "ha ha, how ironic thie violence is"

we we're like like "Woah that was the baddest bloodiest shit ever!'

I don't think it's bullshit at all. His point was not humor verus gore but, rather, that gore in video games is humoristic in the sense that it is totally unrealistic. Your anecdote about how you thought it was "the baddest bloodiest shit ever" is precisely the point.

Edited by Cloudenvy

@CptBedlam said:

@HaltIamReptar said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I was really into HL1 ...that game had a fantastic sense of place. But HL2 just felt like random locations stitched together and none of the locations was especially exciting. On top of that, none of the characters appealed to me, Gordon still not speaking felt out of place and the ending was terrible.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with how Half-Life 2 "flowed", I just thought that the mechanics were terrible and or dull! mainly the shooting and the driving.

Posted by spazmaster666

@CJduke said:

Of all of Jeff's weird opinions, his Half Life opinion is by far the weirdest and worst thing I have ever heard him say. Episode 2 is a master piece

I think Jeff hit the nail on the head when he said that the physics in Half-Life 2 made that game much cooler than it would have been otherwise. I would also add graphics to that statement as well (especially the outdoor environments). To me, Half-Life 2 was more technically impressive than anything else. I've gone back to it here and there but it's tough for me to play that game now from start to finish. It certainly had some great moments, but as a whole is a little uneven.

Posted by Atomicvideohead

The IOS castlevania is terrible. Terrible. I say this as a Castlevania fan. IT's overpriced (like everything konami does online), and totally derivative.

Posted by dagas

HL2 was great because it's atmosphere. WIthout the driving it would not have felt as big and interesting. I really loved driving along the highway and just stopping for every random house just to see what was in there.

The episodes really increased the pacing. Episode 2 has got probably the best pacing and most planned pacing in any FPS. A huge reason is that they don't have regenerating health so it requires a completely different perfection in terms of combat design. In Episode 2 they always managed to somehow make me be almost out of health and then give me some health just when I needed it. It was so intense! People say that CoD is instence but nothing with regenerating health will ever be as instence as running around with 4% health and hoping that around the corner is a health pack rather than a pack of enemies and Valve are so good at always giving you the health pack at that exact moment and keep you going a bit longer but you always feel like you are on the edge.

Saying that it's got pacing problems is saying every FPS has to be like CoD with constant firefights. The combat was probably the thing I liked the least in HL2. If they make HL3 with just fight after fight after fight then I would say they destroyed Half-Life.

Posted by WinterSnowblind

These videos alone are worth the subscription money.

Even if I don't agree with everything said, Jeff's always very insightful and interesting to listen to.

It is good to know I'm not the only one who isn't completely in love with the Half-Life games.

Posted by prestonhedges

@BisonHero said:

@Mdk5631 said:

That thing Jeff said about Solider of Fortune being humor and not gore is BS.

That game came out when I was like 15 and my friends and I where not like "ha ha, how ironic thie violence is"

we we're like like "Woah that was the baddest bloodiest shit ever!'

His point was that even Soldier of Fortune was not in any way as impactful as actual violence or Saving Private Ryan or whatever. Sure, it wasn't comical like Bulletstorm, but the violence and gore in Soldier of Fortune was still not realistic enough to be even close to traumatic like most actual violence.

Neither was Saving Private Ryan. But that doesn't really speak to his point. He's right, though it's hilarious he still uses industry buzzwords like "immersion" in his reviews. Then again, I guess he has to use the terminology everyone's used to.

Posted by FrenchFriedFool

This is probably the best jar time yet. I think narrowing down the questions made it a lot better, allowed for the longer, more interesting answers regarding the future of hardware.

Also, dubstep is ruining our children.

Posted by Milkman

Jeff should rename this segment "Real Motherfucking Talk: No Bullshit Edition."

Posted by prestonhedges

@spazmaster666 said:

@CJduke said:

Of all of Jeff's weird opinions, his Half Life opinion is by far the weirdest and worst thing I have ever heard him say. Episode 2 is a master piece

I think Jeff hit the nail on the head when he said that the physics in Half-Life 2 made that game much cooler than it would have been otherwise. I would also add graphics to that statement as well (especially the outdoor environments). To me, Half-Life 2 was more technically impressive than anything else. I've gone back to it here and there but it's tough for me to play that game now from start to finish. It certainly had some great moments, but as a whole is a little uneven.

That seems to be Valve's MO, for the most part. Come up with an interesting system to put in, make a game around it. Half-Life physics, L4D AI director, TF2 hat technology... It doesn't always hold true, though.

Edited by G24S

I was like out of the room with the volume way up to be able to hear Jeff talk and at 55:55 I shat brix.

Posted by JuxJuxJux

Damnit I love these videos. Thanks!

Posted by shakra

The pacing in HL2 was pretty awful, I had forgotten about all that.

Posted by Max21

yay more Jeff :D

Posted by Canteu

I agree with the violence as comedy thing.

When playing world at war nothing made me laugh harder than shooting a guys legs off with my stupid farmer shotgun and watch him kick himself in the head...comedy gold.

Edited by bybeach

Personally I loved the airboat sequences of HL 2. I don't look for a third game being uber influential (again), just very good. I don't think Halflife is an end all, but no game is. As for contemporary relevance, I don't know if Valve even has to go there, Halflife has enough fanboys but even better, a long-term interested base. Whether valve looses money or contemporary standing by procrastination is their concern, or lack of. Maybe they've realized the one-up game is played out, and this prolonged delay of HL 3 ameliorates that.

Posted by HallwayGiant

I was all good with this video until the last 20 seconds, jesus christ that thing...

Posted by jayjonesjunior

Move isn't Kinect, the lack of move-only games doesn't mean anything because the move can replace a regular gamepad, so for it to be relevant all you need is to give support in games and sony is doing it (too bad only for exclusives)

Posted by ToxicFruit

I beat Mom while listening to this !

Posted by HyperionXR

Huh, crazy. I still feel to this day that Half-Life2 is a masterpiece. The physics were never the hook for me. I love the style, the world and the enemies. I loved the pacing because those long stretches of abandoned highway gave you room to breathe and reflect on it. Oh well. To each his own, but you can count me as a Half-Life "worshiper".

Posted by SomeJerk

720p/30fps is said to be the standard for the next generation, and they're going to focus on making prettier images rather than eh you know. Open up any old issue of say, GameFan after the Saturn and PS1 came out. Everywhere there'll be "runs in glorious 60fps", "moves like a dream at a smooth 60 frames per second", "I came".

I can count the actual retail disc worth-caring-about 1080p 60fps games (PS3/360) with my genitalia.

Two more years of Quake 3 engine based COD games.

Posted by Tuggah

@gladspooky said:

That seems to be Valve's MO, for the most part. Come up with an interesting system to put in, make a game around it. Half-Life physics, L4D AI director, TF2 hat technology... It doesn't always hold true, though.

TF2 was first shown in 1999, it came out in 2007, hats were added in '09. The game was not designed around hats. I am not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to say you are wrong and die.

Posted by wjb

I enjoy these videos because it seems like in every installment, Jeff mentions how video games will be more accepted once everyone's parents die.

"Things will be better when your mom is dead." -- Jeff Gerstmann

Posted by RenegadeSaint

Oh, he's going back for more! He can't get enough of that wonderful Shasta!

Posted by Seedofpower

Giant Pussy Monster.

Posted by blacklab

Jars and cans, jars and cans, just clap yo hands

Posted by Lazyaza

"piece of poop" should be the new 1star rating on GB. Instead of a star the game gets a big steamy turd lol

Posted by ExplodingTuba

I love it when my stuff gets read on the air! By "air" I mean a recorded video entry.

Posted by PompousDawson

I'm down with a little D.F.J.

Posted by Curufinwe

@dagas said:

HL2 was great because it's atmosphere. WIthout the driving it would not have felt as big and interesting. I really loved driving along the highway and just stopping for every random house just to see what was in there.

The episodes really increased the pacing. Episode 2 has got probably the best pacing and most planned pacing in any FPS.

Episode 2 is fantastic.

Posted by BNB82

Jeff, you are awesome.

Posted by RetroVirus

Jar time wub wub wub wub wub wubbbuubububububbbuuubbbububub.

Edited by jillsandwich

Jeff, that people-dissecting concept you threw out seemed startlingly thought-out.

Posted by Crake

Jar time is some of the best content on GiantBomb. Keep up the good work, Jeff.

Posted by the_great_skenardo

I enjoy these videos immensely. It's some of my favorite premium content.

Posted by Brendan

FUCK YOU FOR THE END OF THAT VIDEO JEFF. FUCK YOU.

Posted by Brendan

@Tfruit said:

I beat Mom while listening to this !

Dear GOD.

Edited by jmic75

Throwing this out there, any chance of getting an audio only version of Jar time with an RSS feed?

Posted by prestonhedges

@Tuggah said:

@gladspooky said:

TF2 was first shown in 1999, it came out in 2007, hats were added in '09. The game was not designed around hats. I am not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to say you are wrong and die.

The original Quake mod was designed around hats, IDIOT. They just didn't have the guts to put them in. And now Robin Walker is smiling from his grave because Valve has completed his vision.

Posted by AutomaticOwl

Dubstep is destroying the fabric of our society.

• 188 results