188 Comments
  • 188 results
Posted by tophernav

"And when we grow up we'll find something that we think is destroying the fabric of society. Like, dubstep or whatever."

Oh Jeff, you funny bastard.

Posted by big_jon

@AutomaticOwl said:

Dubstep is destroying the fabric of our society.

It's just that bad.

Posted by Klaimore

Wow I remember when GiantBomb use to test drinks and they did ALL OF THEM!

Posted by coaxmetal

Heh. I think harmony of dissonance was one of the GBA ones and was pretty good iirc. I think the shitty XBLA one was despair? I'm not sure. I was annoyed at them confusing their own dumb naming convention, I remember that much.

Edited by Slaker117

I think there is definitely a potential for video games to desensitize violence, but Jeff is right, the way they are now, nothing feels real enough to worry about.

Since I was young, I've played plenty of what would be considered the worst offenders, seen plenty of digital blood, gore, dismemberment, what have you, to the point where I hardly even notice. If anything, I find it a bit comical. If some were to be believed, that would make me a sociopath who could shrug off real world violence just as easily. Yet, recently, I watched a television show where some bit character I don't care about gets his finger broken, and I kind of felt like throwing up afterwards. A fictional character sustains a relatively minor, fictional injury, but portrayed realistically with real people, and I can't stand it. 

I'm more or less completely desensitized to in-game atrocities, but only because all that shit looks fake as hell. There is no way I'd be capable of anything close to what I've seen on a computer screen in real life.

Posted by emem
Nice as always. 

@Brendan said:

@Tfruit said:

I beat Mom while listening to this !

Dear GOD.

Mom's a bitch. Strangely enough her heart is way easier than her.
Posted by zer0mind

Yup, that's a shrill monkey. My headphones hurt.

Posted by BisonHero

@gladspooky said:

@BisonHero said:

@Mdk5631 said:

That thing Jeff said about Solider of Fortune being humor and not gore is BS.

That game came out when I was like 15 and my friends and I where not like "ha ha, how ironic thie violence is"

we we're like like "Woah that was the baddest bloodiest shit ever!'

His point was that even Soldier of Fortune was not in any way as impactful as actual violence or Saving Private Ryan or whatever. Sure, it wasn't comical like Bulletstorm, but the violence and gore in Soldier of Fortune was still not realistic enough to be even close to traumatic like most actual violence.

Neither was Saving Private Ryan. But that doesn't really speak to his point. He's right, though it's hilarious he still uses industry buzzwords like "immersion" in his reviews. Then again, I guess he has to use the terminology everyone's used to.

So aside from quibbling over my use of Saving Private Ryan as an example, you agree.

...OK. Thanks for the input.

Posted by Toug

I'd love for someone to make that peek-a-boo game and just title it "This Shit's For Baby's".

5 stars.

Posted by dekkadekkadekka

Get that fuckin' can out of there. DIS BE JAR TIME.

Posted by Ketchupp

Why don't people like the Asura's Wrath demo? Crazy ass Japanese stuff is wonderful.

Posted by Grillbar

when talking about half life and portal combo this is what i want

Posted by Xeirus

@BisonHero said:

@gladspooky said:

@BisonHero said:

@Mdk5631 said:

That thing Jeff said about Solider of Fortune being humor and not gore is BS.

That game came out when I was like 15 and my friends and I where not like "ha ha, how ironic thie violence is"

we we're like like "Woah that was the baddest bloodiest shit ever!'

His point was that even Soldier of Fortune was not in any way as impactful as actual violence or Saving Private Ryan or whatever. Sure, it wasn't comical like Bulletstorm, but the violence and gore in Soldier of Fortune was still not realistic enough to be even close to traumatic like most actual violence.

Neither was Saving Private Ryan. But that doesn't really speak to his point. He's right, though it's hilarious he still uses industry buzzwords like "immersion" in his reviews. Then again, I guess he has to use the terminology everyone's used to.

So aside from quibbling over my use of Saving Private Ryan as an example, you agree.

...OK. Thanks for the input.

Immersion is a buzzword huh? Funny because I was pretty sure that was an actual word people used when something immersed them, silly me, silly Jeff!

Get your own words Jeff, you're so unoriginal. This site is dumb and the people running it are dumb. Go double-fist your jars somewhere else!

Posted by Xeirus

@will_leisure said:

I enjoy these videos because it seems like in every installment, Jeff mentions how video games will be more accepted once everyone's parents die.

"Things will be better when your mom is dead." -- Jeff Gerstmann

The first time I heard him say that I was in shock, now it's just like "There goes crazy Jeff talking about everyone dying again"

Posted by ArchTeckGuru8

that orange soda sounds ... .well like orange soda should not taste like

Posted by VisariLoyalist

The other point he hasn't really touched on, is how much of a selling point transfering over all of your old digital content to a new console would be. If someone own 100$ worth of stuff on a ps3 digitally and all of that can easily transfer over to the next sony console they will be much more inclined to buy that console rather than the microsoft offering.

Posted by CJduke
@CptBedlam: I did not realize there was this much dislike for Half Life. I don't know how Half Life 2 can be boring, it has the best gameplay variety of any fps out there. You are doing something new/in a new scenario every chapter in that game. I will say episode 1 is mostly a filler game that was disappointing, but episode 2 is the closest to a perfect game I have ever played.
Posted by Jost1

@Hardtarget: I don't really care either. Took too long.

Posted by mudkip9000

love these

Posted by crusader8463

@Grillbar:The end with the trash can made me genuinely laugh out loud. Hard thing to make me do these days. I remember dying at that part about a dozen times because I refused to pick that can up.

Posted by paulunga

Gotta say, your opinion on Sonic kinda makes you sound like an old man. I'm not really into Sonic either but I genuinely enjoyed Generations. I actually decided to check it out because of your Quick Look of Colors and what people said about that one. Right now Generations is probably my favourite game in the franchise next to Sonic 3 & Knuckles and any games in between I either didn't play (i.e. Colors) or aren't even worth mentioning.

Posted by Hizang

@jmic75: I just load the video on my iPhone and put it in my pocket, works fine.

Posted by TentPole

Lords of Shadows is really fucking good.

Posted by Dustpan

Wisdom.

Posted by seanord
Love these--Jeff dropping knowledge. Well, his opinion, & clarity/self awareness we can learn from.
Posted by ItalianStallion

Nice jars.

Posted by Ferros

Thank you Jeff, finally someone else shares my feelings about HL2!

Posted by Christoffer

I blame it on the dubstep. It's basically a professional killing simulator chockingly similar to the ones used in millitary training.

Posted by Itwastuesday

oh god jesus video games are doomed aren't they

Posted by ThePilgrums

Sonic Generations is pretty good, but even I think Sonic is an antiquated product of the 90s. I can't blame Jeff not giving a shit. I barely do myself, and I was a huuuuge Sonic fan for years. It's sad, but the blue quilled dude has passed his prime.

Posted by selbie

That title is mildly disturbing :P

Posted by Crash_Happy

Jeff rides the chariot?

Posted by GunslingerPanda

Why do you hate Half Life, Jeff?

Posted by CptBedlam

@CJduke said:

@CptBedlam: I did not realize there was this much dislike for Half Life. I don't know how Half Life 2 can be boring, it has the best gameplay variety of any fps out there. You are doing something new/in a new scenario every chapter in that game. I will say episode 1 is mostly a filler game that was disappointing, but episode 2 is the closest to a perfect game I have ever played.

See, everyone that praises the pace of HL2 is referring to Episode 2. I'm talking about the main game, not the episodes. And the main game was pretty boring.

Posted by alexadroog

Sun from lost the videogame with kinect support

Posted by Swoxx

FUCK that sound in the end freaked the shit out of me out, I had another tab open.

Posted by shep9toes

this is 50% of why I give GB money :)

Posted by JayHayabusa

The new year is beginning just fine....

Posted by Chemin

JAAAARS!

Edited by Mezmero

Interesting world views as always Jeff. Although I generally disliked my time finishing Lords of Shadows I think that game showed me that the series can produce a half decent story and a serviceable art style. If they were to give the series another shot I would like to see them explore a sharper origin story of the Belmont clan. I always felt that the weaponry they employ made them seem like gypsy ass circus performers. They should make an Assassins Creed 2 style story where a circus troupe is ravaged by dark forces and the remnants of the Belmonts have to rise up and become a clan of vampire/ beast hunters to cleanse the land or some bull crap. They should also point out that they are not the only vampire hunters in this universe, which features magic using hunters as well as third parties like the half-breed Alucard. The game play in 3D iterations have been a snooze but if some one can make fighting the Castlevania beastiary feel bad ass again then I'm all for it.

Is there a way to compress this audio into a podcast format? While I love listening to you talk whenever I see you look at the camera with a look of disappointment it makes me feel like you're disappointed in me. It is freaking me out man. I'm sorry if I did something to offend you.

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

Ahh, I've been looking forward to a new entry for a while. Excellent stuff. I enjoyed all of it but the segment about videogame violence and its potential psychological implications stood out to me in particular. Considering how played out the topic is that was a very well done talking point from someone who actually thought the problem through.

Posted by WatanabeKazuma

Thank you! Really glad that Jeff made mention of his gripes with Half-Life 2, I had the exact same complaints about it. Repeatedly get chewed out whenever I bring up the fact that I personally think its overrated.

Posted by probablytuna

I like a good jar once in a while.

Posted by Beld

We should totally bring back Fanny Packs! That'd solve this iPhone accessory situation!

Posted by amir90

Best Jar video so far!

Posted by Cloudenvy

@CptBedlam said:

@CJduke said:

See, everyone that praises the pace of HL2 is referring to Episode 2. I'm talking about the main game, not the episodes. And the main game was pretty boring.

You could probably argue that it does have great gameplay variety, but when the shooting is not fun and the driving sections are teeeeeeeeerrible to play it doesn't really matter to me.

Edited by gorkamorkaorka

Physics is pretty important to HL2, but it's the atmosphere and story that really sells it. The shootin' is pretty good too.

Posted by chrispti

this is the best website.

Posted by lclay

I think this might be my favourite kind of premium content

Posted by Bobby_The_Great

I still love Castlevania. Lords of Shadow especially... :(

• 188 results