211 Comments
Edited by BisonHero

It's a real tragedy that they didn't go and find all of the chests you need Schala's pendant for, at the soonest opportunity. I believe I did that once I had the flying Epoch. Though to be fair, the game doesn't force you to do that or make it clearly that such good elemental resist gear is out there, and I didn't remember the location of all of them and looked some of them up, because it's hard to remember all of them. Still, they really come in handy when the game throws obviously unfair elemental attacks at you.

Also it's just really unfortunate that they threw away those Ruby Vests from 65,000,000 BC almost immediately after buying them, because c'mon, even if the defense stat is terrible, you should clearly hold onto something that just flat-out always significantly reduces fire damage.

Also, gotta love that they don't really remember why their group might be banned from Guardia Castle in the present. No big deal, they just got sentenced to prison and then escaped and are fugitives.

Posted by Jodski
Posted by namesonkel

@princess_zelda: as if 1/1 speed wasn't bad enough. But heck, it makes for some good entertainment.

Posted by princess_zelda

They clearly recorded too many episodes in a day. Ryan's brain is working at 1/3 speed here.

Posted by stryker1121

MIDI dinosaur roar of horror!

Posted by Sweetz

@RanmaRanma said:

First of all: let's be thankful we have an ER. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Badmouthing it incessantly will only lead to no more ER's at all and I wouldn't want that. Maybe you don't like this ER but did you like DP and Persona 4? If so, then you know they have the potential to make great ones so why convince them from doing so?

I'm invested in the ER because I've never played the game and would like to see it through, but it's annoying when I, being a person who has never played the game, can remember things from previous episodes they can't, can think of more effective ways to use their characters as a result, and can pick up on obvious "tricks" that it takes them a while to figure out (like the Scouters).

I mean it's one thing if they can't play the game as well as a ChronoCross fan that knows the game inside and out, but if they're missing things that average viewers that have never played the game are picking up on - it's understandably frustrating, especially when they refuse to take hints/advice from their audience.

It's actually really, really difficult to watch someone make a mistake and keep it to yourself when you know better - especially if you're invested in what they're doing. If you've ever had to train someone to do a particular job, then you know the feeling. So I can't fault people for pointing out when they make mistakes. Now of course, we could and should do that without insulting them, but it's the internet, we all know by now that audience + anonymity turns people into assholes (self included from time to time); so you try to take what constructive help you can (but they don't even do that) and just shrug off the rest of the bullcrap.

If their response to getting complaints is to never do it again, that seems weak. If you get criticized for doing a job poorly, is it a mature response to never do that job again as some sort of sardonic revenge? Rather you should do the job better. Even if they don't want people telling them how to play the game, which I can respect, at a minimum they could have at least read the manual, which was an integral and expected step for playing games of that era. This would have helped the early game immensely, and clear up some things that they still don't fully understand (like the nature of some stats).

Posted by falling_fast

@mithical said:

Things I am okay with: Ryan and Patrick making mistakes, people pointing out those mistakes, people getting passionate about either one of those two, and the people who are just plain wrong about the mechanics of the game.

What I don't like are the people who are just plain putting others down. This includes the people who imply that the way RP play is inexcusable, the people who brag that they're better, and the people who condescend to others by acting like RP and other commentors are beneath them. It's these people more than any others that I wish would take a hike.

I'm also not a fan of how the ER is becoming less fun to watch because the game is demanding all of Ryan and Patrick's attention, but eh what can you do. I'm looking forward to the rest of the rainbow shell quest.

Posted by Max_Cherry

Obviously, they just need Barle in their party to get into the castle.

Posted by DoctorWelch

Watching the character menu while they are in a battle is hilarious. Half the time it takes Ryan like a 20 seconds to select something that should take 5 or less.

Edited by wapostyle

So I played through this game this weekend and completed all of the side missions. I knew where I was going as I had played this before many years ago. They absolutely NEED to have Byla in the group, she is so OP. Falcon Hit is complete hax against almost all regular mobs. Pair her with Frog for Slurp Kiss which heals a ton AND restores status, plus their 3D Attack triple tech does anywhere from 2500-3500 damage.

This game is SUPER easy now that I play it with an adult mind, I think it was the 90s the last time I had finished it. I'm not sure why they are having such a hard time with this stuff overall. I think it's mostly because their team sucks, horrible synergy.

It took me about 10 hours /played to get to the Black Omen and another 3 hours to do all of the side missions if anyone was interested. This game is VERY short.

I know it's dumb to suggest the next game for Endurance Run, but I think Chrono Cross would of been a much more interesting game to see.

EDIT: Oh and just for funsies, I quickly discovered you don't need to swap characters in and out of the party to change their gear. Just scroll down on the main equipment management screen.

Posted by Stahlbrand

Casts haste, waits for combo attacks 3x as long as a hasted Brono can fill his ATB bar. Well, its all good.

Posted by mithical

Things I am okay with: Ryan and Patrick making mistakes, people pointing out those mistakes, people getting passionate about either one of those two, and the people who are just plain wrong about the mechanics of the game.

What I don't like are the people who are just plain putting others down. This includes the people who imply that the way RP play is inexcusable, the people who brag that they're better, and the people who condescend to others by acting like RP and other commentors are beneath them. It's these people more than any others that I wish would take a hike.

I'm also not a fan of how the ER is becoming less fun to watch because the game is demanding all of Ryan and Patrick's attention, but eh what can you do. I'm looking forward to the rest of the rainbow shell quest.

Posted by LTSmash

Would the Endurance Run (any of them) be more entertaining if they played a perfect game, making no mistakes?

Posted by super2j

@SadisticWOlf said:

Nice job guys. Clearly you had too many healers in your comp. Maybe have a hybrid switch DPS next time. The burn phase is pretty rough, but just use your raidwalls next time.

Still a kill is a kill. Enjoy posting it on your guild's forums.

what in the hell are you saying!!!!!!

@Saryy42: lol i know right, i dont think i ever saw that happen in a tv show or game where a support character (ie the not brono's) just do it alone and take down a giant enemy. Brono and Brog literally were weighing Bobo down

Posted by super2j

@jonano: well, i can say that i have played chronotrigger up to the when the game opens up(about 3 years ago). So none of the information is fresh and at this point everything is new. And i still find myself thinking about what seems like the most obvious things they should do. Granted, i probably would never have thought about the red vest thing but things like putting th 75% mp cut on Brono and using cure dual techs seem obvious to me. In any case i am not one to complain about their actions unless it is a 30min episode where nothing basically happens and this is a 40min episode soooo we are good.

Posted by Hector

Catching up on my ER episodes!

Posted by PurplePartyRobot

Man, watching the Endurance Run videos are now half the fun, with the other half reading the comments about pro-babies whining about how "THEY'RE TOO SLOW AT PICKING COMMANDS!" and "THEY AREN'T ADHERING TO THE STRATEGY THE GAME DESIGNERS WANT THEM TO!". Backseat driving by way of posting comments has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen, but at the same time I'm also getting entertainment value by reading them because people are just super nitpicky about the way they play.

Posted by Tsuchikage

Chrono Trigger seemed pretty easy until these sidequests. Now all of a sudden, it's become much harder.

Posted by pwnmachine

Patrick...worst companion for this ER...Good thing Ryan is here to soften the blow.

Posted by The_Nubster

@Roy42 said:

@Snowsprite said:

@The_Nubster said:

They've never, not once in this entire ER, blamed the game for anything they did wrong. Ever.

gets out of flying time machine and spends 30mins walking across old dungeons 'this is why people don't like you jrpgs' lmao. i mean, i like it because it's like watching slapstick comedy in video game form, but, you're wrong

Ah. You beat me to it. I get the feeling that, with the extra "Ever" in there, it's gotta be sarcasm. 'Cause, y'know, they blamed the game quite a lot for their own shortcomings. Or, at least, in the case of leaving 2poch behind, they didn't realise that they'd made it hard on themselves with the benefit of hindsight and say something to the effect of "all right, that one's on us."

Likely because after the Twitter assault on them, it wouldn't have needed saying or acknowledging, but still.

It wasn't sarcasm, I was just really, really bothered at all of the people getting super-anal about every little thing they've done wrong (but are still watching 35 episodes later). I know they've blamed the game occasionally, but the number of times they've discovered something and then gone, "Oh, we're dumb," and shouldered the mistake have been far more numerous.

Hell, Patrick has even made a few jokes like "We're lost? Knowing us, we weren't paying attention." And then they giggle and continue playing. Sure, they do dumb things, but most of the time, they realize it's entirely their fault. It's been like that since they first discovered what the man at the Edge of Time was for, and it will continue to be like that until it's over; their profession is talking over the game they're playing, so I'm sure they've gotten used to missing important stuff during recorded footage.

Posted by bio595

@CookieMonster said:

lol u guyz r poo @ game

k maybee u not tht poo but quite poo

This made me laugh so much

Edited by cloudyimpulse

@Zero_ said:

@cloudyimpulse said:

Hey real quick (and to hopefully get everyone off the bashing), I just got done watching the latest ER and was semi confused on what was going on at the end being labeled Terrorist.

But then I thought, didn't Marle (Barle) escape with Crono (Brono) when he was put up on trial for kidnapping her? That would explain why everyone is still crazy about them in the present time when they go back to the castle? That was never put to rest as far as I can tell (without having to go back and watch every previous episode again). So that's why they can't go back to the castle right?

Yeah, it's because of that. I think all they need to do is put Barle into the party and talk to the guards again and they'll let you through.

LOL that's all it takes. Nice. I thought they were going to have to do something they forgot to do awhile back and fight a super easy boss in the end to clear up something they forgot to do. Thanks for the reply.

Side Note. Has anyone ever tried turning on the Closed Captioning (CC) Transcribe Audio mode on the YouTube versions of these videos. Kind of hilarious!

Posted by Zero_

@cloudyimpulse said:

Hey real quick (and to hopefully get everyone off the bashing), I just got done watching the latest ER and was semi confused on what was going on at the end being labeled Terrorist.

But then I thought, didn't Marle (Barle) escape with Crono (Brono) when he was put up on trial for kidnapping her? That would explain why everyone is still crazy about them in the present time when they go back to the castle? That was never put to rest as far as I can tell (without having to go back and watch every previous episode again). So that's why they can't go back to the castle right?

Yeah, it's because of that. I think all they need to do is put Barle into the party and talk to the guards again and they'll let you through.

Posted by Zero_

@LiquidElite said:

@Snowsprite said:

Annotated Rust Tyrano video using identical Endurance Run characters "That would have been unbeatable using any strategy I can think of"

Strategy: In the "race against time" boss don't use normal attacks

this is how they should have done it

Same stats my ass... you didn't even name them properly!

Posted by Roy42

@Snowsprite said:

@The_Nubster said:

They've never, not once in this entire ER, blamed the game for anything they did wrong. Ever.

gets out of flying time machine and spends 30mins walking across old dungeons 'this is why people don't like you jrpgs' lmao. i mean, i like it because it's like watching slapstick comedy in video game form, but, you're wrong

Ah. You beat me to it. I get the feeling that, with the extra "Ever" in there, it's gotta be sarcasm. 'Cause, y'know, they blamed the game quite a lot for their own shortcomings. Or, at least, in the case of leaving 2poch behind, they didn't realise that they'd made it hard on themselves with the benefit of hindsight and say something to the effect of "all right, that one's on us."

Likely because after the Twitter assault on them, it wouldn't have needed saying or acknowledging, but still.

Posted by cloudyimpulse

Posted by SynergisticSyn

"With this ship we never have to go into that forest again."

I'm almost disappointed they realized that.

Edited by Snowsprite

@Anonymous1c4 said:

how is that video whining? it just seemed like a look at how the battle could have gone if they used the chosen party and gear more effectively. tbh, i really liked the video just cause i thought it was an interesting in-depth look at the fight (well, as in-depth as it could get. it was a pretty simple fight). but that's just me.

i also find it kind of funny that they had a perfectly functional team with brono/barle/bobo, yet they couldn't get it work right. oh well, at least they beat the boss.

actually i used the same gear that wasn't very good. i mean, the point isn't to make perfect video tutorial or WOW LOOK AT MY INTENSE SKILL AT 20 YR OLD VIDEO GAME IF CHRONO TRIGGER WERE AN FPS I'D GET THE MOST FRAGS POSSIBLY ALL FRAGS but using the same uninformed tactics and still succeeding just by doing something extremely simple like using your moves that deal 'damage points' over and over.

when i watch them die to the skeleton because they are using spincut i laugh so hard dude, for me making a video of brute forcing it just by spamming 1 move is a form of comedy i guess. the people that think it's whining or feel that it's an affront to anyone or anything probably take video games a lot more seriously than i do, ironically. i mean, like, video games wooow!

- douchebag out

Edited by Snowsprite

@The_Nubster said:

Edited by Raios

I AM PERSONALLY INSULTED BY THE LOW LEVEL OF SKILL DISPLAYED IN THIS VIDEO. I'M GOING TO WRITE A DETAILED EXPLANATION OF EXACTLY WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY, TELL EVERYONE HOW MUCH OF AN EXPERT I AM AT THIS GAME, AND TALK SHIT ABOUT PATRICK BECAUSE FUCK THAT GUY.

Seriously, some of these comments are making me hate this community.

Posted by RedRavN

I love how they grind out these battles with pure will alone instead of a real strategy. I really hope they can continue to win some of the tough battles ahead.

Posted by OneManX

@CaptainSandwich said:

@OneManX said:

@Snowsprite said:

@OneManX said:

@jonano said:

Do you guys do anything else other than complain, Ryan is not a big RPG player so of course it going to take some time for him to get the hang of it .Also Jeff and Vinny made the same kinda mistakes in Persona 4 , the only reason P4 was better was the characters,voice acting , the guys reactions and the crazy story.They didn't play the game well at all for the most part , you remember Vinny casting bufu on shadow teddy and healing back to full health and where they forgot to change Personas, quite a few times and get killed in one hit .I've never played Chrono Trigger before and had no idea where they were going wrong, Ryan is in the same boat so cut him some slack for fuck sake .Plus I bet when you first played Chrono Trigger you were just as stumped at parts as these guys are .

NO! Dont you get it NO ONE EVER makes ANY mistakes when playing video games, NO ONE makes mistakes or overlook items. When you play games on the internet you must be PERFECT! Everyone here when they first played CT, they were perfect and never wiped and beta all the bosses with the perfect team and were lvl 99 when they beat Lavos in one hit.

as a nine year old i intuited using my human eye sockets what 'fights all mag but water' meant

i also didn't step out of my flying time machine and immediately walk across three level 8 dungeons

as a nine year old, in the year 1995

No mistakes ever.

It's called "learning from mistakes", and most of us do this fairly quickly. No matter how much people say "they've gotten better!" Ryan and Patrick haven't. Basically, they found the 30th of many exploits in this game way late, because they don't care. Rust Tyrano beat itsself. I was totally hoping it would just HP drain them in quick succession.

I never noticed the roar does damage over time, because I never let it be a factor, like I'm sure most non-defenders had done. This isn't us saying we never make mistakes....this is us saying we might have over 50 brain cells to rub together rather than 1.5.

Maybe I don't care enough to get upset, but even when they fuck p, they mention it, laugh it off and keep moving. Like when they figured out that Red Vest/Ruby Vest would be key for this battle. And they do think this out, almost for every battle they have a gameplan and most of the the time they are able to grind out the tough battles. is it the BEST way to beat it, no, but CT is a good enough game that you can do whatever you want as long as you dont make a really dumb mistakes.

It just gets amplified because they are guys on the internet getting paid to do this, and you have thousands of people looking over shoulder and playing backseat driver.

Also, If they really didn't care, they would of quit a LONG time ago.

Posted by dezvous

Love the endurance run! Dunno if you guys are against doing this but if you wanted to just switch the battle mode to wait for boss battles that would lessen the need to rush through menus. It becomes more strategic then.

Posted by whatisdelicious

@TruthTellah said:

- Overcame all ER doubters to defeat Rust Tyrano. Pure Victory. -

Yes. Oh, God, yes.

Also, are you also TruthTellah from Kotaku?

Posted by The_Nubster

@Splodge said:

@MannySavior said:

@Roy42 said:

I feel bad for Snowsprite, having shown how the lineup of Brono, Barle and Bobo could brute force the Rust Tyrano, only to have them switch back to their superstar tag team.

But then, that's hardly surprising. Any excuse to switch back to Brog, no matter how many times they pass over Aura Whirl or Aura Beam. I have $20 riding on them still not putting Barle in their party, even if they were to acquire Lifeline, Which they won't, because they'll never put her in long enough to get that anyway.

Plus side of today's episode? Aside from Ryan still sounding like he wants to be there as much as Jeff did in the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon QL, they didn't get upset with the game for their own shortcomings.

Get over it. It's not necessary to have Barle in the party to beat the Rust Tyranno or anything other than the follow up sidequest. Brono/Brog/Bobo is a perfectly fine team and if they feel like rolling with what they're used to, then there should be no issue with that.

I understand that it can be frustrating to see them bumble around sometimes, but some of the things that you guys complain about is ridiculous.

This. I hear the whiney tone people make when they are making fun of someone else's voice when I read most of the comments from the 'experts' as they seem to be. It must make them sooooo angry when the minutiae of the game, and more so things not so minute are not paid full and proper attention. I can almost hear all the asses squirming in seats. Nerd rage is a powerful and potent weapon in the war against dudes playing old RPG's on the internet.

Not only that, but they've never gotten angry at the game for their own problems. Every time they miss something or fuck up and then figure it out, they laugh at themselves and move on. They've never, not once in this entire ER, blamed the game for anything they did wrong. Ever.

Posted by CaptainSandwich

@NoelVeiga said:

@CaptainSandwich said:

@Snowsprite said:

Annotated Rust Tyrano video using identical Endurance Run characters "That would have been unbeatable using any strategy I can think of"

Snow is now being followed. Call it hate all you want, but negative comments taken as a lesson are...well...lessons.

I don't disagree, but this also explains why watching a LP/ER from somebody who knows what they're doing is so boring. It becomes the longest video tutorial ever. It turns sharing the experience over the internet into just plain old spoilers.

Understood, however...we're not telling them what to do next at all. It's more like when they touch a burning range 8 times in a row, we rage and tell them how NOT to fuck themselves up. There's nothing we can do about their apathy, but verbally abusing the guys helps to make us feel better.

Posted by rethla

"Its a race against the clock, lets use our default attacks to burn him down"

Edited by North6

@MangyForestCat said:

@North6 said:

Facsincating.

You took their mistakes, learned from them, and now *WE* are the benefactors! You must show them this, I'm certain they will love it. They may not respond to you, and others may say you're "missing the point" or are a "baby". But we know. *wink*

We know.

I see what you did there. That was sarcasm right?

Stop whining like a little bitch. His videos are fun to watch for many of us.

@MangyForestCat: Nonsense. You and I are in agreement, his masturbatory, baffling painstakingly recreated videos are a welcome addition to Youtube and Giant Bomb. Imagine how much better this site would be if the GB guys were more like him. Why, if our fledgling video critic keeps at it he could even approach the master.

Behold, the nexus of entertainment and education, all that one can aspire to be. Ulillillia plays Brono Trigger.

Posted by NoelVeiga

@CaptainSandwich said:

@Snowsprite said:

Snow is now being followed. Call it hate all you want, but negative comments taken as a lesson are...well...lessons.

I don't disagree, but this also explains why watching a LP/ER from somebody who knows what they're doing is so boring. It becomes the longest video tutorial ever. It turns sharing the experience over the internet into just plain old spoilers.

Edited by Roy42

Well, they may have beaten the Rust Tyrano, but that was because [insert piss-poor reason]. When they get to Retnite/Son of Sun/Queen Zeal/Lavos, they'll get fucking CRUSHED, obviously. Though admittedly, one of those things has already happened.

The whole ER is really fun for me to watch; I first played Chrono Trigger on the DS; and even so, I still don't remember what my personal strategies were for the game. I do at least know I certainly wasn't fucking perfect throughout the whole thing like some people apparently are; I must not be good at videogames.

Frustrations aside, it's intriguing to see how other people playing the game approach the problems it presents you with.

To be honest, them actually deciding to fight Spekkio would be pretty sweet. At least, assuming they'd win. If they decided to fight, lost again and concluded that it's either definitely a supposed-to-lose fight or just not something they're going to bother with, it'd be a real shame.

…Actually, if they didn't notice that Spekkio changes forms. That'd be a real shame. Still, they now believe they have literally no reason to go there. But then, that's why I'm hoping they'll go in there and be at a level where the dude looks like Masa & Mune. I just get the feeling they wouldn't notice at any other point.

Posted by herrkilman

You really should use Magus (Bagus) more. He is great! He has fire, ice and water and more importantly - DARK FUCKING MAGIC!

Use him!

Posted by TruthTellah

- Overcame all ER doubters to defeat Rust Tyrano. Pure Victory. -

Edited by onan

God, they got SO CLOSE to actually using the Gold Stud on Brono. SO CLOSE. Instead they just let it sit in the inventory while Brono uses up all of his MP in 4 moves, and then cast Haste on him while he's wearing the speed belt, and even without that, he's already probably the fastest character in the game.

Then later on, Ryan says, "Downside of this combo is that we get no Haste." Unless you're able to equip speed items on yourselves as players, Haste and speed belt are almost entirely moot for your playstyles. :)

"That's the trick to this battle! If we had 3 Red Vests, you're invincible, basically." No tricks, Patrick. "Trick" implies an intent to deceive.

And the cherry on top is to manually heal everyone before going back to the save point to shelter.

Edit: To not shelter. Sigh.

Posted by MackSterling

Regarding where this video ends, if there's one (well, two if you count the Black Omen) sidequest that absolutely needs to be done by these players it's the one this leads up to.

Posted by MEATBALL

And many fists were pumped.

@OneManX said:

@Snowsprite said:

@OneManX said:

@jonano said:

Do you guys do anything else other than complain, Ryan is not a big RPG player so of course it going to take some time for him to get the hang of it .Also Jeff and Vinny made the same kinda mistakes in Persona 4 , the only reason P4 was better was the characters,voice acting , the guys reactions and the crazy story.They didn't play the game well at all for the most part , you remember Vinny casting bufu on shadow teddy and healing back to full health and where they forgot to change Personas, quite a few times and get killed in one hit .I've never played Chrono Trigger before and had no idea where they were going wrong, Ryan is in the same boat so cut him some slack for fuck sake .Plus I bet when you first played Chrono Trigger you were just as stumped at parts as these guys are .

NO! Dont you get it NO ONE EVER makes ANY mistakes when playing video games, NO ONE makes mistakes or overlook items. When you play games on the internet you must be PERFECT! Everyone here when they first played CT, they were perfect and never wiped and beta all the bosses with the perfect team and were lvl 99 when they beat Lavos in one hit.

as a nine year old i intuited using my human eye sockets what 'fights all mag but water' meant

i also didn't step out of my flying time machine and immediately walk across three level 8 dungeons

as a nine year old, in the year 1995

No mistakes ever.

It's called "learning from mistakes", and most of us do this fairly quickly. No matter how much people say "they've gotten better!" Ryan and Patrick haven't. Basically, they found the 30th of many exploits in this game way late, because they don't care. Rust Tyrano beat itsself. I was totally hoping it would just HP drain them in quick succession.

I never noticed the roar does damage over time, because I never let it be a factor, like I'm sure most non-defenders had done. This isn't us saying we never make mistakes....this is us saying we might have over 50 brain cells to rub together rather than 1.5.

Posted by Codeacious

...is something different about the mics? The guys sound like they're on Skype or something.

@Snowsprite said:

Posted by King9999

Watching the ER makes me want to play the game again. Anyone know where I can get the DS version dirt cheap?

Posted by JamesJeux007

Man, reading the comments is just endlessly entertaining xD