211 Comments
Posted by RVonE

BACKSEAT DRIVING ELITE VIDEO GAME EXPERTS ASSEMBLE!!!

Posted by NakAttack

@RVonE said:

BACKSEAT DRIVING ELITE VIDEO GAME EXPERTS ASSEMBLE!!!

IN THE FORM OF, BUTT HURT BASEMENT DWELLER!!!!

Posted by MannySavior

@algertman said:

Don't feel bad Ryan and Patrick. At least you two are better at this than Jeff is at Blitz.

That's harsh man.

I laughed.

Edited by Greeny83

It's gotten to the point where Patrick is the one actually playing the game, despite Ryan holding the controller. Do we even need Ryan at this point? This combo isn't nearly as entertaining as Jeff and Vinny anyway.

Also......GOLD STUD........BRONO

GOLD STUD....EQUIP IT ON BRONO!

Posted by ZagZagovich

@DarthB: Just what I thought. I'd love to see more like that

Posted by DudeSupreme

@fini_fly said:

@SlimJimm said:

If they like using Confuse and Luminaire, they should really switch up that Gold Stud.

Hopefully they do the Sun Stone quest after this and get into the castle to get all the rainbow items.

You know they are going to get pummeled by the Sun Stone guardian. We should start a pool to guess how long it takes them to figure it out.

Well they got the hint that the Red Vest was pretty useful after all, but since there is no real reason to go back to the past they wont find the Ruby Armor (which cuts down fire by 80%) which makes the Son of the Sun really easy. Even then, if they continue to abuse the healing dual techs they should be able to outlast him (hopefully!)

Really I want to see them succeed and find all the awesome end game items.

Edited by skrutop

Watching Ryan act so slowly is maddening. I really want him to either give the controller over to Patrick or change the ATB to wait.

@Greeny83: I agree. I like Patrick's writing, but I don't really like listening to him on these ER's. Jeff has such a great sense of humor, and Ryan and Vinny play off of it very well. Patrick and Ryan are basically just playing it straight.

Posted by MannySavior

@SlimJimm said:

@fini_fly said:

@SlimJimm said:

If they like using Confuse and Luminaire, they should really switch up that Gold Stud.

Hopefully they do the Sun Stone quest after this and get into the castle to get all the rainbow items.

You know they are going to get pummeled by the Sun Stone guardian. We should start a pool to guess how long it takes them to figure it out.

Well they got the hint that the Red Vest was pretty useful after all, but since there is no real reason to go back to the past they wont find the Ruby Armor (which cuts down fire by 80%) which makes the Son of the Sun really easy. Even then, if they continue to abuse the healing dual techs they should be able to outlast him (hopefully!)

Really I want to see them succeed and find all the awesome end game items.

I'd like them to at least score the Rainbow and the powered up Masamune. Everything else is just gravy, but those two are the items that put their team over the top.

Unless of course you go super hardcore min/max with that Robo low HP weapon.

Posted by dr_mantas

I think they're doing fine. Sue me.

Posted by HeavyDuty32

I assume you can just get into the 1000AD castle if you bring Barle in with you, right?

Edited by MeatSim

Rust Tyrano doesn't play around. Good thing they held on to that Red Vest.

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

Hell yes! So tense, so exciting. I'm glad you managed to figure out some very helpful strategies to increase your combat effectiveness. Very well done gentlemen!

Posted by SmokePants

They'll probably try to put Barle in their party to level her up and just dumb-luck it into the castle. Their neglect of her is probably going to tack a good 5-10 episodes onto this ER.

Posted by jonano

Do you guys do anything else other than complain, Ryan is not a big RPG player so of course it going to take some time for him to get the hang of it .Also Jeff and Vinny made the same kinda mistakes in Persona 4 , the only reason P4 was better was the characters,voice acting , the guys reactions and the crazy story.They didn't play the game well at all for the most part , you remember Vinny casting bufu on shadow teddy and healing back to full health and where they forgot to change Personas, quite a few times and get killed in one hit .I've never played Chrono Trigger before and had no idea where they were going wrong, Ryan is in the same boat so cut him some slack for fuck sake .Plus I bet when you first played Chrono Trigger you were just as stumped at parts as these guys are .

Posted by theuselessgod

Good to see some love for Frog's Theme. GO PATRICK.

Posted by JokerSmilez

@SlimJimm said:

After this, you really think they could handle the Sun Stone boss?

Posted by kollay

@JokerSmilez said:

@SlimJimm said:

After this, you really think they could handle the Sun Stone boss?

I haven't been keeping up but if they had trouble with this boss AND haven't grabbed those fire resist armors from the Chief in the dino age... then get ready for some ass whooping.

Posted by CaptainSandwich

@LordCmdrStryker: Great idea, man! I should finish my Duran/Charly/Angela run...

Posted by RanmaRanma

First of all: let's be thankful we have an ER. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Badmouthing it incessantly will only lead to no more ER's at all and I wouldn't want that. Maybe you don't like this ER but did you like DP and Persona 4? If so, then you know they have the potential to make great ones so why convince them from doing so?

Second of all: Yes Patrick is giving a lot of advice. There's two valid reasons for this. First, Ryan is human and is making mistakes as expected. His inexperience with the game leads to natural mistakes. Patrick is helping by pointing out things Ryan may overlook. Second, this is a 2-man ER like it always has been. If Patrick doesn't give any input then why is he even there? The whole point of an ER is for 2 men to endure a game as long as they can, not 1 (at least that's how it's been). Ryan has the controller so of course all Patrick can do is talk.

Posted by Aetheldod

Patrick you dont know shit!!!!! Never save mp .... you have to give it all in and for fucks sake you can use items with each character or use it on others ... such a basic thing to do

Edited by R_Coles

Watching this video with the closed captioning on is hilarious.....

"Confuse and ice tackle seems to be the way to go" == "euthanize technician radio"

"Everyone needs to be at full strength before it gets to zero" == "before strangling they distribute gene"

...nice job google

Edited by CookieMonster

lol u guyz r poo @ game

k maybee u not tht poo but quite poo

Posted by Mesoian

Oh the lack of duel tech healing...it pains me...

Edited by Konanda

Haste should be cast on the caster first so that she can cast the other two hastes faster.

Also Spincut is a waste of MP.

Posted by NancyDrewFan123

Good episode! I'm interested to see them do Bobo's sidequest in the future. When I played it the first time, it was one of the more confusing ones.

Posted by cbarnes86

AURA BEAM!!

Posted by katelyngadd

@DarthB said:

Dunno if it's just me, but this video seems like it's better quality than the rest of this endurance run. Hmm..

Yeah, most of the composite artifacts look like they're gone. Maybe they switched the recording setup to S-Video?

Posted by NintenJoe

@kevingadd: It seems it's not the normal YouTube video like the rest have been, it's the GiantBomb internal movie player for this one.

Posted by PacManFevaa

I really like watching ERs regardless of the game or who's playing. I like this one because I kind of burnt out on Crono Trigger when I couldn't beat Lavos, so I'm interested to see how the game actually ends and what not. That being said Endurance Runs just don't feel right if there's no Vinny. He was the genesis for these things and just seems like he knows how to make them entertaining in a way that you can't wait to come back to.

Posted by 20x6

The 'secret' to this guy is to wear the Ruby Vest, Ruby Armor or Fire absorbtion armor.... Also, they should be using Frog, Crono and Ayla. Crono and Ayla are Frog are all hard hitters and Frog and Ayla's dual tech "Slurp Kiss' heals a lot and removes all status effects.

Posted by 20x6

Oh wait... half way through they figured out the Red Vest :) Good job guys.

Posted by xite

@20x6: "Slurp Kiss" is the best name.

Posted by spnx44

Oh my.

Edited by DarthEnder

It should be noted that Haste is pretty much a useless spell for the way Ryan plays because any time you might gain from being hasted is completely blown during the ages it takes for him to select attacks from the menu.

This would be going infinitely more smoothly if they weren't using Active battle.

@theuselessgod: Thank you for that video, it was fantastic.

Posted by freakin9

Not the perfect strategy, but they still do it in the end. Obviously the game doesn't need to be played perfectly. The game still feels fresh and smart in how they do things, I definitely wouldn't mind it if they find a way to extend this ER even more than they have.

Posted by infestedandy

Lightning 2! Spincut! Lightning 2! SPINCUT! LIGHTNING 2!

Posted by infestedandy

@jonano: The thing is, this game isn't a difficult one. It definitely gets tricky in some parts but the reason why the people are complaining so much is the horribly, horribly sloppy play. They don't read the text, the tricks they discover they never use and they never experiment to see what moves do what. In most games when you get a new ability, don't you try and use it to see what it does? Well, they don't do that and for other various reasons they come up with some absolutely asinine combat theories. You don't need to have played the game previously to understand them.

Posted by mrfluke

@RanmaRanma said:

First of all: let's be thankful we have an ER. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Badmouthing it incessantly will only lead to no more ER's at all and I wouldn't want that. Maybe you don't like this ER but did you like DP and Persona 4? If so, then you know they have the potential to make great ones so why convince them from doing so?

Second of all: Yes Patrick is giving a lot of advice. There's two valid reasons for this. First, Ryan is human and is making mistakes as expected. His inexperience with the game leads to natural mistakes. Patrick is helping by pointing out things Ryan may overlook. Second, this is a 2-man ER like it always has been. If Patrick doesn't give any input then why is he even there? The whole point of an ER is for 2 men to endure a game as long as they can, not 1 (at least that's how it's been). Ryan has the controller so of course all Patrick can do is talk.

this, i mean yes they have been legitimately seriously annoying pieces in this ER, but for the most part its been good, people if you dont like it just leave

Posted by Demoskinos

This one was a bit rough to watch. Sometimes... I just can't help but being a backseat driver of sorts.

Posted by Lukos

@RanmaRanma said:

Agreed. Well said sir. The one's that talk bad about ER have a simple solution, don't watch it.

Posted by Sorla10

So its a race against time and we need to kill him as fast as we can?

lets bring some better healers then

and havent they realised water isn't strong against fire from the last fight -.-

Posted by OneManX

@jonano said:

Do you guys do anything else other than complain, Ryan is not a big RPG player so of course it going to take some time for him to get the hang of it .Also Jeff and Vinny made the same kinda mistakes in Persona 4 , the only reason P4 was better was the characters,voice acting , the guys reactions and the crazy story.They didn't play the game well at all for the most part , you remember Vinny casting bufu on shadow teddy and healing back to full health and where they forgot to change Personas, quite a few times and get killed in one hit .I've never played Chrono Trigger before and had no idea where they were going wrong, Ryan is in the same boat so cut him some slack for fuck sake .Plus I bet when you first played Chrono Trigger you were just as stumped at parts as these guys are .

NO! Dont you get it NO ONE EVER makes ANY mistakes when playing video games, NO ONE makes mistakes or overlook items. When you play games on the internet you must be PERFECT! Everyone here when they first played CT, they were perfect and never wiped and beta all the bosses with the perfect team and were lvl 99 when they beat Lavos in one hit.

Posted by mangopup

It took them so long to figure out the Red Vest D:

Posted by mbkish

Yep.

Posted by bslayer

Good job guys, I knew the Rust Tyranno would be tough, but I'm glad it's beaten.

Edited by Fontelroy

I wanna get my whiney comment outta the way before they finish this, I believe most people complain because the mistakes Ryan and Patrick are making seem to be born out of apathy for this game more than anything else. Its not fun to see 2 people that don't want to be playing a game play a game. I don't want to make a laundry list of examples of this apathetic attitude because plenty of other comments already have, nor do I want this to sound like I'm dissing Giant Bomb, Ryan, or Patrick in any way because I really like what they do; I would just prefer to see content that Ryan and Patrick enjoyed making. That being said, I've still watched and will continue to watch this Endurance Run because it certainly has it moments and I never finished this game back in the day.

Posted by Zohar

I've been enjoying this endurance run so far. Yeah sometimes I find myself yelling at the screen as they miss obvious things or bang their heads against the walls trying to figure stuff out when the answer is staring them in the face, or literally flashing on the screen (absorbs all damage but water!) but that just makes it more funny/interesting.

The way they manage to kinda bumble their way through everything reminds me of what it was like when I played JRPGs for the first time. You don't know all the answers beforehand so you just kinda make it up as you go along.

Edited by ch3burashka

Ryan doesn't do well under stress...

"Holy shit, that healed him!" What did you think "absorb" meant? Honestly...

Posted by Capstan

Ryan: "Happy Martin Luther King Day."

Well played, sir. A richly deserved shout-out to a great American hero.

Posted by BelowStupid

i feel better knowing that so many other ppl get frustrated watching them fumble around.