211 Comments
Posted by Brenderous

What a cheap-ass dinosaur.

And are people still complaining? Grow up.

Posted by Murdoc_

Woooo, rainbowshell. But now a terrorist? oh oh!

Posted by MannySavior

@jonano said:

Do you guys do anything else other than complain, Ryan is not a big RPG player so of course it going to take some time for him to get the hang of it .Also Jeff and Vinny made the same kinda mistakes in Persona 4 , the only reason P4 was better was the characters,voice acting , the guys reactions and the crazy story.They didn't play the game well at all for the most part , you remember Vinny casting bufu on shadow teddy and healing back to full health and where they forgot to change Personas, quite a few times and get killed in one hit .I've never played Chrono Trigger before and had no idea where they were going wrong, Ryan is in the same boat so cut him some slack for fuck sake .Plus I bet when you first played Chrono Trigger you were just as stumped at parts as these guys are .

You are way overblowing it. Vinny healed the boss for like 50 HP with that bufu, and they only got killed a few times with the 1 hit spells. There are whiners sure, but you're not helping by being a hyperbole spouting whiner on the other side of the argument either.

Posted by happypup70

@jonano said:

Do you guys do anything else other than complain, Ryan is not a big RPG player so of course it going to take some time for him to get the hang of it .Also Jeff and Vinny made the same kinda mistakes in Persona 4 , the only reason P4 was better was the characters,voice acting , the guys reactions and the crazy story.They didn't play the game well at all for the most part , you remember Vinny casting bufu on shadow teddy and healing back to full health and where they forgot to change Personas, quite a few times and get killed in one hit .I've never played Chrono Trigger before and had no idea where they were going wrong, Ryan is in the same boat so cut him some slack for fuck sake .Plus I bet when you first played Chrono Trigger you were just as stumped at parts as these guys are .

Isn't that just an argument that Chrono Trigger wasn't a good choice for an endurance run. Them making mistakes is fine for me. Them wiping on tough bosses is fine. People on chat pointing out what they did wrong should be fine too. Some of us have played the game before and we like to talk about what they are doing wrong because that is part of the fun for us. I for one am really enjoying this Endurance run. I also enjoy all of the back and forth comments that are being posted. The forum is here for people watching to express their opinions. So your opinion that people on the forums should not criticize Ryan and Patrick has just as much merit being on the forums as the posts that criticize Ryan and Patrick

Posted by CaptainSandwich

@Brenderous said:

What a cheap-ass dinosaur.

And are people still complaining? Grow up.

It's not cheap. It's literally just the game telling you "hurry the hell up."

What I think is funny is that Pat calls this a race against time, but then says he doesn't believe it, while the entire mentality behind them wasting so much MP all the time is to do things faster - out of laziness/stubbornness. But they want to play defensively on bosses, so they don't take the hint that maybe they should be rushing to beat the shit out of this boss, but keeping MP costs low...enter the Dual/Triple Tech system, for which this game is famous, 17 years after its release.

Now I KNOW they're trolling.

"Haste is very valuable." Yes, it is, because you can wreck bosses much faster by doubling the turns the party receives. So they sit and wait, despite figuring out early on that waiting results in stronger fire attacks, and not paying attention to Ice Tackle doing 1700 damage as opposed to 1200 damage Confuses. The Confuse would be ok for an entire boss fight, if Crono had a Gold Stud, since Marle can cut his wait between turns in half, thus making his speed accessory pointless, as Patrick glossed over.

I love how the game manages to be largely idiot-proof, but we still have equalizers, gentlemen:

Queen Zeal and Lavos. Either one of those can either add an extra bunch of episodes for those of you who like this/love to hate it, or kill CT ER altogether. If those two get beat, you'll know Patrick & Ryan are finding a clever way to troll, and reading FAQs at the same time.

Posted by Max_Cherry

What part of "Absorb 50% of fire attacks" didn't they understand?

Posted by Karmann

I was screaming "Cast Haste!!!! It ran out!!!!!!!" during half of this Quick look, lol

Posted by Rox360
@SlickWillyJJ said:

What part of "Absorb 50% of fire attacks" didn't they understand?

I think this has something to do with the thing that made them believe the rage band's "auto-attack" meant counter attack, which Pat insisted would be the most useful thing in the game, and the first "chance to counter" item they got was skipped over because it didn't sound useful. Or something?
Posted by Humanity

I'm just confused why specifically Ryan and Patrick did this Endurance Run. Ryan doesn't really like RPG's from what I've seen and Patrick doesn't like swords/magic type RPG's. I can only imagine they're not having that much fun.

Edited by SoldierG654342

Get offensive with Bobo, get quicker at picking commands, and at this point just stick with Brog, Brono, and Bobo.

Edited by happypup70

@Humanity said:

I'm just confused why specifically Ryan and Patrick did this Endurance Run. Ryan doesn't really like RPG's from what I've seen and Patrick doesn't like swords/magic type RPG's. I can only imagine they're not having that much fun.

That's how I feel. Half the time this is absolutely hilarious and fun to watch, the other half is just a downer. I really feel like they just don't want to play this game. Not to make another Persona 4 point but Jeff and Vinny started the ER to play a game they both wanted to play but knew they would not have time to play at home. This feels like they had to come up with another Idea for an ER to appease the community and settled on this game. As to the comments like this one

@Hunter said:

@RanmaRanma said:

First of all: let's be thankful we have an ER. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Badmouthing it incessantly will only lead to no more ER's at all and I wouldn't want that. Maybe you don't like this ER but did you like DP and Persona 4? If so, then you know they have the potential to make great ones so why convince them from doing so?

Second of all: Yes Patrick is giving a lot of advice. There's two valid reasons for this. First, Ryan is human and is making mistakes as expected. His inexperience with the game leads to natural mistakes. Patrick is helping by pointing out things Ryan may overlook. Second, this is a 2-man ER like it always has been. If Patrick doesn't give any input then why is he even there? The whole point of an ER is for 2 men to endure a game as long as they can, not 1 (at least that's how it's been). Ryan has the controller so of course all Patrick can do is talk.

Agreed. Well said sir. The one's that talk bad about ER have a simple solution, don't watch it.

about people shouldn't be complaining or else they won't do another Endurance Run, well, maybe they shouldn't. Things like load the last save and random PC game, in my opinion, are more fun. It's like the movie Jaws. They didn't need to make Jaws 2 but it wasn't a horrible movie. They shouldn't have made Jaws 3 because it was horrible. My point is they shouldn't feel obligated to the community to make mediocre content regularly but should be compelled to make extraordinary content at a sustainable pace. I will continue to watch, for my own reasons, and go between loving and hating the show (this one was a real downer, 40 minutes for one boss. I stopped watching and just read the posts). I will also speak my mind and my opinions openly. I will watch what I want to watch, complain about what I want to complain about. You have the choice to ignore me, strike up a debate on the merits of free speech with me through PM, create a thought provoking counter argument here or tell me to stick my opinions where the sun don't shine. Your choice.

Posted by Redhotchilimist

"3, 2, 1" is hilarious. I'm happy they beat the boss easily the last time, they have been having such a hard time with these optionable enemies.

Posted by MrMountie

If they weren't having a good time wouldn't they just... quit? Isn't that the point of the Endurance Run? Play it until you don't want to anymore? I can understand being annoyed at some of the things they've done, I've never played the game but there have been times where I've seen them bumbling around something obvious but I just laugh at it, I think that's part of the entertainment. This is part 35 I can see giving the thing a chance and watching a few episodes, but why on Earth would someone watch 35 parts of something if all they're going to do is rage at it?

And I don't get it, yeah they probably don't play the game perfectly. But besides the Skeleton thing, haven't they beaten everything the game has thrown at them? It's not like they've had 5 straight episodes being stuck on one part. they're beating the game who cares if there's stuff they could have done better?

Posted by ThreePi

Man, that was probably more frustrating than the "forgot about the flying time traveling ship" episode. The whole episode can be summed up with "Ryan is just too slow." Look, Confuse is clearly doing a lot of damage, so use it as often as you can, as fast as you can and then a Full Ether when he's low. Every time you use a regular attack with Brono on a boss I die a little on the inside.

Posted by DrJota

What killed the dinosaurs?

....Not the Ice Age.

Posted by mak_wikus

Slower! SLOWER, RYAN!

Posted by SadisticWOlf

Nice job guys. Clearly you had too many healers in your comp. Maybe have a hybrid switch DPS next time. The burn phase is pretty rough, but just use your raidwalls next time.

Still a kill is a kill. Enjoy posting it on your guild's forums.

Posted by Jake_K

I think reading the comments is more frustrating than anything they are doing....

How mad does it make y'all that they still managed to beat the boss?

Edited by Snowsprite

Annotated Rust Tyrano video using identical Endurance Run characters "That would have been unbeatable using any strategy I can think of"

Strategy: In the "race against time" boss don't use normal attacks

Posted by Saryy42

I lol'd so hard when Bobo soloed Rust Tyrano XD

Posted by Troncek

Yeah, Ryan needs to be much faster with the commands.

Posted by LiquidElite

@Snowsprite said:

Annotated Rust Tyrano video using identical Endurance Run characters "That would have been unbeatable using any strategy I can think of"

this is how they should have done it

Posted by whatisdelicious

"This makes no sense. We're in."

Awesome.

Posted by Snowsprite

@OneManX said:

@jonano said:

NO! Dont you get it NO ONE EVER makes ANY mistakes when playing video games, NO ONE makes mistakes or overlook items. When you play games on the internet you must be PERFECT! Everyone here when they first played CT, they were perfect and never wiped and beta all the bosses with the perfect team and were lvl 99 when they beat Lavos in one hit.

as a nine year old i intuited using my human eye sockets what 'fights all mag but water' meant

i also didn't step out of my flying time machine and immediately walk across three level 8 dungeons

as a nine year old, in the year 1995

Edited by whatisdelicious

@Snowsprite said:

Wow, people are such babies about this.

You're better than Ryan and Patrick at Chrono Trigger. Congratulations. I'm sure they're going to lie awake tonight, wondering what it must be like to be as good as you.

@Jake_K said:

I think reading the comments is more frustrating than anything they are doing....

How mad does it make y'all that they still managed to beat the boss?

Apparently, mad enough to load the game up in an emulator, create identical characters using modified save states, then run the same boss fight using a more effective strategy, annotate it, put it on YouTube, and post it here. Holy shit, people.

Edited by Snowsprite

@gladspooky said:

@Plasma said:

Luminaire is the most powerful magic attack in the game, but it does little damage as Brono's magic stat is low.

Confuse does a lot of damage, as Brono's physical stat is high. They need to ignore luminaire, or equip Brono with items to increase his magic stat.

That's not how the game works.

luminaire has like 20x magic stat modifier. flare and dark matter are lower like 17x or something. lesser abilities have shit like 8x or 5x. so giving a brono a magic ring for +6 actually adds 120 damage etc. because of this high modifier he can have kind of low magic and still wreck groups of enemies with it, but each point of magic gives him more damage than it gives other characters.

Edited by Snowsprite

@whatisdelicious said:

Wow, people are such babies about this.

i'm having fun, dont freak bud. it's funny, relax. uses regular attack move over and over on boss they acknowledged as being a damage race lmao. come on, how is that not funny. i guess you are white knighting too hard to see it.

actually i started this because i was curious about whether they were really that bad or if the fights were genuinely difficult with the levels and character/gear setups they were using, took me 20 seconds to copy their levels 5mins to dump video from zsnes etc

Posted by whatisdelicious

@Snowsprite said:

relax.

Says the guy who created an identical copy of the game Ryan and Patrick were running, including all gear, stats, and levels, then annotated that video on YouTube with condescending comments like, "For an end-game boss it doesn't demand much, just making basic use of the tools the game provided." Yeah, dude. Totally sounds like you're having lots of fun watching. And you sure weren't just whipping through those commands in-game like a man who's practiced this boss fight before (or has played a lot Chrono Trigger in his day).

Posted by algertman

We are to the point of people posting videos of themselves playing better than Ryan and Patrick. Masterful trolling. You get a gold star.

Posted by golguin

Dual Heal Techs and armor absorption abilities have finally been utilized. I think that makes this a very successful episode.

Edited by Snowsprite

@whatisdelicious said:

Totally sounds like you're having lots of fun watching. And you sure weren't just whipping through those commands in-game like a man who's practiced this boss fight before (or has played a lot Chrono Trigger in his day).

i am having fun watching because it's so entertaining lol. if they were playing well or even competently i would be having a lot less fun with it. i love these guys and watching them stumble through really basic concepts is like comedy gold. hopefully providing some extra entertainment for other people who were wondering if the game was hard or if simple logic can overcome it. if they ever saw the vids i made i'd hope they'd be like 'oh haha we could have won just by doing x', not WOW IM SO BAD AT GAMES OH NOOOOO

idk, selecting commands with reasonable speed using the memory cursor option (which they are using) is a matter of just pressing the button when the turn comes up. after spending over a dozen hours with the game it seems reasonable to do. like, to win you just have to not use regular attacks because there is a ticking time bomb right in front of your face, i don't know you believe this takes any special aptitude. which is why i laughed so hard when they said it was unbeatable.

you kind of sound mad about this 'issue' more than anyone else!

video games!

Posted by MangyForestCat

@algertman: Why does it have to be trolling? I actually find the Endurance Run AND those videos fascinating.

I don't think of the Endurance Run as just what the crew involved gets to do. I think of it as an entire spectacle. The comments are part of the Endurance Run. People who rage, people who love it, people who get angry, people who Twitter at the crew, all of this is part of the Endurance Run not just the videos themselves.

These new videos of people doing it better are also part of the "ER Experience". The "ER Experience" is the whole spectacle and it's all as valid and as important to the enjoyment of the ER as the original videos themselves!

Posted by warpbackspin

With all this bickering I figured they gave up and left that side quest...you're all goddamn ridiculous! XD

Posted by Nux

I reall hope they put the time into getting everyone's ultimate gear and fight all the optional bosses like Steel Shade.

Posted by katanalauncher

@Ronald said:

"It's a race against the clock in some respect." When you're playing active time it's always a race against the clock. Unfortunately Ryan gets googlie eyed over menus and just sits in them staring at all of the options. And they leave speed on Brono instead of giving him the gold stud. Meanwhile Bobo has a speed of 6.

Patrick, why would you use an elixer when he isn't hurt at all?

Unbeatable? If instead of holding back they just hammered at him with everything they had they would have beat him before everyone went down. You guys play way too cautious, especially in active time battle mode.

But more than anything stop staring at the screen and DO SOMETHING. Or change it from active time so Ryan can play the way he wants to play.

This, I hate they always compliment about the active mode when Ryan have a reaction speed slower than a turtle.

Edited by Xtophre
@Snowsprite said:

This is taking whining to the next level. 
I am as irritated by Ryan's problems as everyone else is but I didn't think people were annoyed enough to go to this much effort.

They need to be given some bit of credit however. Patrick is on the ball with keeping Ryan in line with most of the stuff they missed in the past. 

They have improved exponentially compared to the previous episodes. Give them some credit.

Some people just aren't good at RPGs just like some people aren't good at First person shooters. Perhaps getting Ryan to play a RPG was a really bad idea. I am sure he is good at other genres of games.
Posted by AlKusanagi

If I ever start my career as a 70s street pimp, I'm going to call myself "Bubble Snap."

Posted by TheHakku

OH BOY I WONDER IF THEY'LL EVER GIVE BUCCA HER FLAME MAGIC

Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch....

Edited by snowflame

@Nux: The Shades are only in the DS version. This is the SNES version they're playing.

Posted by Nux

@snowflame said:

@Nux: The Shades are only in the DS version. This is the SNES version they're playing.

Yeah I don't know why but I forgot that they are a DS only think. I don't know ehy I got that mixed up but I did.

Posted by WiqidBritt

terrified to use a full ether, instead uses elixir to heal 10 points of health.

Posted by CitizenKane
@Snowsprite said:

I'm sorry, but Ryan and Patrick were using Brono, Barle and Bobo. You were using Crono, Marle and Robo. 

These are not identical characters, sir.
Edited by csl316

@WiqidBritt said:

terrified to use a full ether, instead uses elixir to heal 10 points of health.

Ah, so that's what I have to look forward to this episode? Exciting times.

@Snowsprite said:

@whatisdelicious said:

Totally sounds like you're having lots of fun watching. And you sure weren't just whipping through those commands in-game like a man who's practiced this boss fight before (or has played a lot Chrono Trigger in his day).

i am having fun watching because it's so entertaining lol. if they were playing well or even competently i would be having a lot less fun with it. i love these guys and watching them stumble through really basic concepts is like comedy gold. hopefully providing some extra entertainment for other people who were wondering if the game was hard or if simple logic can overcome it. if they ever saw the vids i made i'd hope they'd be like 'oh haha we could have won just by doing x', not WOW IM SO BAD AT GAMES OH NOOOOO

idk, selecting commands with reasonable speed using the memory cursor option (which they are using) is a matter of just pressing the button when the turn comes up. after spending over a dozen hours with the game it seems reasonable to do. like, to win you just have to not use regular attacks because there is a ticking time bomb right in front of your face, i don't know you believe this takes any special aptitude. which is why i laughed so hard when they said it was unbeatable.

you kind of sound mad about this 'issue' more than anyone else!

video games!

Video games are serious business. But again... that video made me laugh.

Posted by moondogg

So am I the only one on me playthrough that used almost every single tab both power and magic on Brono alone?

Posted by North6

Did i just see a thing that is supposed to absorb fire 50% of the time activate 7x in a row? What the fuck are the odds of that.

My guess is they never notice this nor wear this item ever again, and are none the wiser how lucky they are.

Edited by beard_of_zeus

Nice job guys, that Tyrano seemed like a jerk with his fire attacks. That fire-absorbing vest really saved the day!

I wonder how much HP some of these optional bosses have. Hopefully they'll throw the accessory on that shows HP sometime soon, I'm curious.

@North6 said:

Did i just see a thing that is supposed to absorb fire 50% of the time activate 7x in a row? What the fuck are the odds of that.

The description of the item ("absorb 50% of fire damage") is a little unclear, so I'm not sure, but I think it means that if an enemy fire attack does X damage, instead the target is healed by by 0.50 * X points. But it always works.
Posted by calophi

These side quest episodes are getting more and more painful to watch. XD

Posted by North6

@beard_of_zeus: gotcha, that eases my dismay.

Posted by North6

@Snowsprite said:

Facsincating.

You took their mistakes, learned from them, and now *WE* are the benefactors! You must show them this, I'm certain they will love it. They may not respond to you, and others may say you're "missing the point" or are a "baby". But we know. *wink*

We know.

Edited by MangyForestCat

@North6 said:

Facsincating.

You took their mistakes, learned from them, and now *WE* are the benefactors! You must show them this, I'm certain they will love it. They may not respond to you, and others may say you're "missing the point" or are a "baby". But we know. *wink*

We know.

I see what you did there. That was sarcasm right?

Stop whining like a little bitch. His videos are fun to watch for many of us.