122 Comments
  • 122 results
Posted by Tupacalypse

@Centimani said:

@Lamashtu said:

Imagine if this got a Tim Schafer-esque kick-starter and that guy got an indie-game development platoon backing him up. The things they could accomplish with this game.

I propose we refer to this scenario with the term "schafered" from now on. Imagine if this game got schafered.

this

Posted by BabelTower

@dvorak said:

@snide said:

@thebigJ_A said:

How does it compare to X3:TC? I used to love X3. it's been a long time since I played that game.

X3 and EVE are an order of magnitude more complicated than Evochron Mercenary. I don't recommend them to anyone but dedicated nostalgists or those who enjoy steep learning curve games.

The newest standalone expansion of X3 includes a full blown stock market. In a space sim.

I do neither like steep learning curves without some serious awesomeness outbalancing it or have I ever played a space simulator ever in my life. Yet I effin' love X3:TC and X3:AP. Haven't touched any Evochron (yet), but I am keeping an eye on it. I don't really know why I wanted to learn and master a space sim really. Just something about the sandbox feeling and the sheer complications and depth that makes it all so rewarding when you start taking advantage of all the information and trading, also hopefully grease up my addled mind somewhat during the process. ^^

Posted by BitterAlmond

Prime directive: do not interfere with any planets below your video card settings.

Posted by Matoyak

I know I'm a little bit late here, but I just felt the need to say that I love the fact games like this can exist. It makes me warm and happy inside, even if I am unlikely to EVER play anything like this. I can only take on so many games, and Europa Universalis is kind of my limit complication-wise...

Posted by Ramone

The concept and scope behind this game are amazing. Imagine what this game could be in a couple of years with a big budget behind it.

Posted by Centimani

@Lamashtu said:

Imagine if this got a Tim Schafer-esque kick-starter and that guy got an indie-game development platoon backing him up. The things they could accomplish with this game.

I propose we refer to this scenario with the term "schafered" from now on. Imagine if this game got schafered.

Posted by Spoonman671

I just ordered a flight stick so I could play this game properly.

Posted by Lamashtu

This games is... incredible. The attention to detail, the atmosphere, not to mention that I share Dave's astonishment that it takes up only 250mb and it was made by only one guy.

Posted by Trilogy

The music is so perfect in this game.

Edited by SatelliteOfLove
@Nux said:

I love Vinny's child like sense of wonder.

It's a fair bit easier to take than childishness that most 30-somethings view games with nowadays, ain't it?

Music's so good, too.
Posted by leebmx

Love the music in the background

Posted by Nux

I love Vinny's child like sense of wonder.

Posted by gbrading

This game is utterly insane, and utterly amazing. Just imagine if Mass Effect could have a galactic sandbox around it similar to this with all the other aspects as well. That would be a game for the ages.

Posted by RenegadeSaint

@snide: Thank you for doing a little planning and actual preparation before recording this, duder. It really bugs me how most of the GB guys can't even answer basic questions (price, platform, release date, controls, etc.) about the game they're playing. Yet here you are, piloting an incredibly complicated machine, all the while keeping cool and staying professional.

Also, Dave + Vinny + Drew = GB Dream Team

Posted by Ariketh

@ChrisTaran said:

I can't believe Dave downgraded his capacity!

I can.

Posted by nan0fear

US Release Date: Sept. 17, 2010

Steam Release date: Jan 16, 2012

Posted by dvorak

@snide said:

@thebigJ_A said:

How does it compare to X3:TC? I used to love X3. it's been a long time since I played that game.

X3 and EVE are an order of magnitude more complicated than Evochron Mercenary. I don't recommend them to anyone but dedicated nostalgists or those who enjoy steep learning curve games.

The newest standalone expansion of X3 includes a full blown stock market. In a space sim.

Posted by Laini

Wandering aimlessly is how I've spent most of my time in this game so far, I just can't get into it yet.

I do love the music though.

Edited by dvorak

It would be a bigger accomplishment if he didn't outsource huge portions of the game, and released the same game pretty much every year as different games. Each version is just slightly better than the last. It's still a very cool game though, if you are a hardcore space sim fan, but probably only every other edition.

This is a good jumping off point though, since it's the first one with any exposure. I've been waiting for it to hit Steam forever.

Joystick is also kind of a prerequisite for this game.

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

Heroic effort to show a seemingly extremely complex game gentlemen! The somewhat 'realistic' presentaion of entering a planet really are quite impressive, especially when those weather effects came out of nowhere there at the end.

Edited by HerbieBug

Funny how Dave gets stuck on small details and goal oriented thinking while seemingly missing the greater scope of what's going on around him. He's entering into an atmosphere in the middle of a thunder storm and the first thing he thinks of: we need to mine some oxygen. :D

Posted by Alwaysrun

A stunning accomplishment from one man. I'm truley in awe of his efforts. If this game had better graphics and a cleaner interface this would be my dream game no doubt.

Posted by BoomSnapClap113

This. This is the game I have always wanted.

Posted by ITS_A_SECRET_TO_EVERYBODY

@pyide: As others have said, there's a pastiche of sci-fi film score clichés in this, but what jumps out at me most is the recurring theme that sounds like a royalty-free version of the main titles from "Spacecamp".

Posted by falling_fast

fuck yeah galactic civilizations namedrop.

Posted by Undeadpool

Anyone else get the Tom Baker-era Dr. Who theme in their head whenever they went to warp?

Edited by Kordesh

All I needed to see was cockpit view. Seriously, if you make a space game like this, and DON'T include a cockpit view (I'm looking at you X3) I can only make angry eyebrows in your direction ಠ_ಠ. I mean it's something so basic that adds so much to the experience. Of the handful of space games we see anymore, so few of them bother to include it.

As a side note, the mining in this game reminds me a lot of Earth And Beyond. Man I miss that game...

Posted by Winsord

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality

Posted by thebigJ_A

@snide said:

@thebigJ_A said:

Oh, but that's what makes them good! Sure, it takes months to learn, but the satisfaction of succeeding is so sweet! That's it, I'm playing X3 again. Now what did I do with all those guides I had...

Posted by fisk0

@pyide said:

@fisk0 Definitely not licensed, just sounds eerily familiar to a theme or themes I've heard elsewhere. Not Mass Effect, I want to say it was a one off in a TV show like a random x-files episode (probably not that) or film.

Yeah, I've certainly heard similar stuff, especially in scifi shows or movies, but can't recall from where either though. Probably some stock trailer music in this vein, for those moments where the Requiem for a Dream theme doesn't fit. Also, didn't Enya do something similar?

Posted by ChrisTaran

I can't believe Dave downgraded his capacity!

Posted by granderojo

I totally did what Dave did in the demo, game is nutts.

Posted by Besetment

An hour long quick look, starring Dave Vinny and Drew? And it's a sim?? Filmed live???

It's like you've taken my free time hostage.

Posted by snide

@thebigJ_A said:

Posted by RinSatori

@dantad said:

would be cool if they did a quick look of the new X3 expansion!

Cant call that an expansion.

Im a huge X3TC fan but thats just a shitty little mini prelude quest chain.

they also removed all the good parts from TC.

Posted by dantad

would be cool if they did a quick look of the new X3 expansion!

Posted by Butano

Was about to pick up X3, but this QL sold me on getting this. Just being able to seamlessly enter a planet w/out loading screens is so awesome!

Posted by Bunny_Fire

think ill get this reminds me of privateer

Posted by Soviut

Menu Simulator 2012: Space Edition

Posted by pyide
@fisk0
Definitely not licensed, just sounds eerily familiar to a theme or themes I've heard elsewhere. Not Mass Effect, I want to say it was a one off in a TV show like a random x-files episode (probably not that) or film.
Posted by Alexandruxx

82nd!!!

Take THAT bitches!!!

Edited by fisk0

@Airickson said:

I think when you get out of the ship you can get into a car and play Trackmania.

Spacemania, user created space shooter/trading game where the currency is planets, the music is dubstep remixes of classical music and there is no collision detection. Would be so awesome.

Posted by Airickson

I think when you get out of the ship you can get into a car and play Trackmania.

Edited by fisk0

@pyide said:

Why does that music sound so familiar? I can't place it and it's driving me crazy!

it's pretty Jean Michel Jarre or Vangelis-esque, Mass Effect 1 had a pretty similar title song, and if you played Star Trek Online it had some similar stuff as well. I don't think it's a licensed song from someone where, but I can't say that with certainty.

Posted by fisk0

@RiotBananas said:

There's so many of these games, which one is the best?!

Yeah, that's kind of the funny thing with this genre that many considers dead, only in the past 2 years I've bought 10 of them on Steam (the Wing Commander style story based space shooter is more rare though, SOL Exodus tried, and I'm not entirely sure if it succeeded or failed at what it tried to do, bigger budget and silly FMV would've helped I think). Still undecided which of them is the best, Evochron is pretty damn impressive, especially considering it's size, it's a game I'll never ever have to delete to save up on hard drive space, and it's music is amazing, the X series (the most recent are X3 and X3 Terran Conflict, which is a stand-alone expansion for X3) which are graphically rather damn impressive, but extremely EVE Online-ish, to the degree that they're pretty hard to get into, there's also Darkstar One, which is a couple of years older, more streamlined (and is available for the Xbox 360) and probably an easy game to start with, but where you're stuck with one single ship, ever. I-War 2: Edge of Chaos is on GOG, is 10 years old but still holds up pretty well, is rather user friendly as it was made in the tail end of when the genre was still a mainstream genre (I-War one had you commanding a decent Firefly-sized space dreadnought, but was a more linear mission based game, I-War 2 starts you off with a smaller ship but has the bigger ships later on), SpaceForce: Rogue Universe is available on Steam and seems decent and is only a couple of years old as well. Evochron Mercenary and EVE Online are the only ones I know of with multiplayer though.

I still love Elite, Elite 2: Frontier and Frontier 2 (using the COD/Modern Warfare naming convention), but they haven't been available on the market for decades, Wing Commander Privateer is a similar old-school game in the genre that's available on GOG, but it hasn't aged quite as well, graphically it still holds up, but it did some stupid things that were barely excusable back then, but are totally inexcusable now - like not mentioning what stuff you can buy costs or does in the game, only in the manual, really annoying when it comes to buying ships, as the game neither tells you how much it will cost or how much money you still need if you're still a little bit off.

Posted by l4wd0g

It's Skyrim, in space

Posted by pyide

Why does that music sound so familiar? I can't place it and it's driving me crazy!

Posted by BombaLuigi

frontier: elite 2 was 700kb in size, it was bigger than any x-game, and you could land on all the planets, without loading screens at any point in the game..

Edited by MattClassic

@Meatsim said:

This game is overwhelming but still really cool.

You hit the nail on the head. I can't think of a better word to describe it than "overwhelming". There's just so much going on. Fun, though.

Posted by buckybit

Games used to be a couple 100 Kilobytes before they became a couple 100 MBs & we're now towards several DVDs.

But as much as I admire somebody doing a game in DarkBASIC PRO it is one of 'these games' that amp up my frustration levels towards steaming burst size.

I don't mind complexity at all - I crave it. But complexity has to be well designed. The 'depth' that this game might trick you in believing it has* - and the depth IT REALLY HAS - is lost in bad game design.

*Dave's right about the 'spreadsheet' games - you grind numbers, while in the end, you are doing the same repetitive tasks in front of a screensaver. You just 'think' you're 'doing stuff' - progressing - since, well ... the numbers change.

Have fun, if you are convinced wanting to play this - unless it crashes.

I still have way too many similar games I have not played as of yet. X3 + addons are still waiting ... and then, there are the old games, I still could play a bit more ...

• 122 results