281 Comments
Posted by MindOST

How much money to make Lincoln Force?

Posted by IrishCoffee

Success like this is reserved for people as great as Double Fine. I know, personally, i'm waiting for pay day next week so I can donate a larger amount to the Kickstarter than just the bare minimum, I want them to hit 3 Million!

Edited by Vorbis

I'm guilty of being a Double Fine fan and not picking up every title, but barriers like exclusivity or untimely release dates have prevented it. Still, shown my support this time, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Posted by Brake

This is such a feel-good story. Every time there's a new development it makes me feel good!

Posted by Beatus

This is a fantastic read. Contrary to what AhmadMetallic's said, this is one of the more worthwhile topics in gaming right now. I was intrigued by what Tim said in this interview. Well done.

Posted by big_jon

That picture is so good.

Edited by Mustachio
GB: Alright, Tim, I’ll let you go and let someone use the bathroom. I appreciate you taking a couple of minutes. Congratulations--it’s been really fun to watch.

Patrick confirmed for stalking Tim Schafer in the bathroom.

Posted by deskp

looking forward to following the process

Posted by MrMazz

great interview man I want to see that documentry

Posted by leebmx

@Keavy_Rain said:

I tossed in $100. Wish I could hit one of the premium pledges, as I'd LOVE to meet Tim.

Just to ask - does this mean you have given them the money or just that you have made a promise to? I am just wondering in general whether its like some charity phone in things where people pledge and give the money later or they actually have $1.4m banked at this point?

Posted by UltimAXE

This has been a really fun story to watch unfold, and it's certainly opens your mind to all kinds of game development implications that kickstarter could have. But, goddamn, is that ever a slippery slope. One thing's for sure: it couldn't have happened to a nicer or more deserving studio.

Great interview, BTW.

Posted by Sweep

I read this interview while in the bathroom because I am fucking meta.

Posted by Masha2932

Wow, games are expensive. Even seemingly simple games like Costume quest and Stacking are expensive. I would have loved to know what Brutal Legend's budget was though. I'm sure all the licensed tracks, celebrity voice actors and the fact that it's an open world game must have increased the budget considerably.

I really wish there was a nice breakdown of typical gaming budgets like we see with other businesses. For instance is the budget primarily voice acting, staff salaries(are salaries even considered if the staff are full-time employees?) or CG cutscenes?

Are there any business or game development students on GB who have an idea?

Posted by AlisterCat

@leebmx said:

@Keavy_Rain said:

I tossed in $100. Wish I could hit one of the premium pledges, as I'd LOVE to meet Tim.

Just to ask - does this mean you have given them the money or just that you have made a promise to? I am just wondering in general whether its like some charity phone in things where people pledge and give the money later or they actually have $1.4m banked at this point?

It is a pledge until the time expires. When it is over and they have met/surpassed the goal the money is taken out of people's accounts. If they didn't meet the full amount then none of it is taken.

Posted by Cozmicaztaway

@Xevabis said:

@Balex1908: I'm gonna say that with the $20 million budget for Brutal Legend, at least 50% of it was for the voice actors.

The entire game was $24 million, which seems like a crazy amount of money and yet NOT super high, at the same time, weirdly.

No data on how much of that is voice actors and music licensing, however (and it was totally worth it because we got Lemmy, Motorhead, Bodom and Tim Curry, and other awesome things).

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4308/postmortem_double_fines_brutal_.php?page=6

Posted by demonbear

Great job on that one Patrick, loved it. I bought my copy, of course!

Edited by KestrelPi

@HelixNebula said:

Not everyone seems to like this.

http://www.pixelperfectmag.com/2012/02/sunday-edition-kickstarter-double-fine.html

He does bring up some valid points.

Those valid points must be REALLY well hidden.

EDIT: To elaborate, I don't really think he makes good points at all. He's basically calling everyone stupid for being willing to put money into this, and having a go at the entire adventure game genre at the same time. Just... no. People know what they're doing when they pay for this. The page explains what the project is pretty damned well, and we're grown ups who can make our own mind up about whether the mere potential of this project is worth $15 or more.

Edited by lordofultima

@HelixNebula said:

http://www.pixelperfectmag.com/2012/02/sunday-edition-kickstarter-double-fine.html

I stopped reading when he said Psychonauts was a huge success. That game did notoriously awful at retail, and wasn't marketed AT ALL by Majesco.

Actually the comment about Child's Play donation is even worse. Seriously? I'm giving them money so they can donate to Child's Play? UUH no, don't think so. They have to use the money for the kickstarter where they say they're using it. I could donate to charity all I want, that's not what I put money in for.

Posted by claudius
Posted by AaronChance

I really wish Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango were on Steam. Would love to play them again, but lost most of my old games a while ago. Only managed to find Curse of Monkey Island, which I don't think Tim worked on but is still a fine game.

Posted by tyler71

This is going to be awesome. Great interview Patrick.

Posted by leebmx

@HelixNebula said:

Kind of I. He is wrong on one big point which undermines his whole argument though. He says that Double Fine have nothing to lose in this deal and that is entirely wrong. I would say that they could lose the most valuble thing a small-ish, cool, well-loved company could have, which is its integrity and credibility.

He makes some good points when considering Jaffe's arguments about developers not delivering on their lofty promises and while I don't think that the pledges Double Fine have made in respect to the Kickstarter money are really in any way Mollenyux-esq they will have to follow through on them to the general satisfaction of their funders or they will lose what makes them so special - their credibility and closeness to their audience.

He makes the point that EA, Ubisoft etc will be looking to fund games in this way (i.e. make the punter pay upfront) but I warrant that this could never happen as the gameplaying public do not think that these companies put art before money - indeed the biggest complaint you hear about the the companies I have mentioned is that they are always trying to wring the last penny from our pockets. Double Fine are not looked at in this way, we see them as a company which has sacrificed money for doing things their way, e.g. art first. and therefore trust that their vision comes before profit.

Double Fine have put the essence of their business at stake here and in a way it is a danger to them that they are receiving so much money as the expectations are that much higher. If they don't deliver in a way that satisfies the investors it could really damage their credibility and that is a great risk. In this way they are putting way more at stake then just releasing a game funded from the normal publishing source.

Posted by kalmis

Always interesting to read Scafer's interviews

Posted by OldGuy
@SurplusGamer said:

He's basically calling everyone stupid for being willing to put money into this, and having a go at the entire adventure game genre at the same time. Just... no. People know what they're doing when they pay for this. The page explains what the project is pretty damned well, and we're grown ups who can make our own mind up about whether the mere potential of this project is worth $15 or more.

Oh, so, since he hates point and click adventure games that's why this is dumb? Right, saves me a read. Opinions and all, but that means I have one too - and I think he's a bozo.
Posted by buckybit

only on Giantbomb: WORLD EXCLUSIVE BATHROOM INTERVIEW!

Posted by leebmx

@AlisterCat said:

@leebmx said:

@Keavy_Rain said:

It is a pledge until the time expires. When it is over and they have met/surpassed the goal the money is taken out of people's accounts. If they didn't meet the full amount then none of it is taken.

OK - Thanks for the info.

Posted by Dezztroy
Posted by Superfriend

I love how Psychonauts gets brought up every single time. Here´s the thing: There are a lot of people with fond memories of that game.. but how many people would actually BUY a Psychonauts 2? I just hope they don´t go crazy all of the sudden and take too many risks.

A small project, an adventure game in the old Lucas style, helmed by Schafer and Gilbert... that is all I want. Please, please, please give me that. Then you can start putting some RTS elements into Psychonauts 2 or whatever.

Posted by Erunamo

@lordofultima: Exactly my thoughts. "Don't you think you could come up with some better use for the remaining $1.2 million you've made? Does the name Child's Play come to mind?" Fuck you, I'll donate to Child's Play myself if I want them to have my money. This one is for Double Fine with the understanding that it funds an adventure game.

Posted by darkdragonmage99

As often as double fine is in the office I'd think it'd be ok to ask them to come in and talk about this on the podcast 

Posted by HalfDane1975

Good stuff.

Posted by darkjester74

I cant believe I still have not played Full Throttle. I am a bad, bad person. :-(

Posted by chilibean_3

Any review giving this game 3 stars is going have a bunch of people spazzing the fuck out in the comments. Or, even more people than usual, I guess.

Posted by Dustpan

Interesting read, thanks Patrick!

Posted by jozzy

@Dezztroy said:

@HelixNebula said:

His points were all invalidated when he suggested that Double Fine donate the customers' money to charity instead of making a better product.

And when he somehow thinks that Double fine has plenty of money to make games on their own terms without using Kickstarter. The interview here pretty much confirmed what I thought, Double Fine games typically don't sell that well. Psychonauts and Brutal Legends were pretty much flops commercially, and I don't think Custome Quest, Iron Brigade and Stacking made them rich either.

Posted by enemymouse

@jozzy said:

@Dezztroy said:

@HelixNebula said:

His points were all invalidated when he suggested that Double Fine donate the customers' money to charity instead of making a better product.

And when he somehow thinks that Double fine has plenty of money to make games on their own terms without using Kickstarter. The interview here pretty much confirmed what I thought, Double Fine games typically don't sell that well. Psychonauts and Brutal Legends were pretty much flops commercially, and I don't think Custome Quest, Iron Brigade and Stacking made them rich either.

He also suggests that Doublefine has been trading on "Indie" cred and that asking customers for funding loses the company respect in his eyes. Neither point carries any weight. DF was never indie, and never pretended to be anything but a smallish company. Having an issue with going to customers for funding is a completely arbitrary personal quirk.

I'm glad that the guy states his overall respect for the project and the team, but his points are patently ridiculous.

Posted by Legend

As a big fan of point and click adventure games, this is really a dream come true.

Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials

You know...beardless Tim Schafer is really surreal to behold.

Anyway, I gave $15 before I even realized Gilbert was involved too, and that got me twice as excited. Funny thing is, I've never bought a Double Fine game (until now, I guess). I just like the way they carry themselves.

Posted by buckybit

Ok...

Older guys, you all see the irony in this, right? General Schafer mentioned it in the interview: the (honest) waves of love towards Double Fine games vs the tiny drops of consumer money ending up in his company.

I bought Grim Fandango. I bought Psychonauts, etc ... and thought the "world was stupid" for not doing the same.

It says a lot about this (still young) industry, when seasoned, world-famous(!), critically acclaimed video game titans, have to beg for money and bend over just to keep their companies afloat or make it to the next quarter.

Ma.. Vinny Caravella

The 'games' are not expensive - the buttload of people working on them are! And then comes the overhead: administration & accountants in-house, you could pay, but there is this kraken-army on the publisher Death-Star side: marketing, PR, advertisement, executives, market-research, producer-type overseers, E3 booth-babes, private jet for CEOs, Major Nelson's yacht, etc etc etc ...

Let's say you can make a game with 100 people and you pay them average 50K/year for 2 years. Yes, that's 10 MILLION in 2 years! The time you would make a AAA title? So you can see, adding the aforementioned overhead, it's easy to hit 20 Million for a game (and some people would be happy IF they would make 50.000 - not everyone does. But they ALL work 7 days a week for 16-18 hours).

This Kickstarter thing is a one-time deal, IMHO. You cannot ask for this kind of money a 2nd time, and a 3rd time, and a 4th time, ... unless, the OTHER 4,960.000 million gamers JOIN the cause and give some money too? To consumers, it's just like pre-ordering a game - only it get to THE RIGHT PEOPLE (and a bit earlier)?!

But I would still insist: DON'T MAKE ANY CREATIVE DEMANDS! Let @TimOfLegend and ALL the other creative and hard working folks do their thing, without our noise. Let them be artists! Let them surprise us.

's all.

Posted by byrjun

This was great! And beautiful. And a bit sad. And very empowering! Poor Tim & co., no, COOOL TIM & CO!!!!! GO! GO YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

Allllllllll of the love. All of it.

Posted by coreykrosting

A nice interview Patrick!

Posted by Dan_CiTi

TIM THIS GAME BETTER HAVE FUCKING GORGEOUS 2D ART AND BE ON STEAM FOR PC & MAC!!

Anyway, great job with the interview Patrick and Double Fine always has my love and support.

Posted by lightsoda

Wow, I never knew the situation over at Double Fine were so dire. I hope they will have more success in the future.

Posted by Pop

Tim said that a game selling 40.000 copies is a flop, but all those 40.000 ppl didn't donate just 15$ some donated 100 1000 etc. so some ppl bought the game 100 times xD, also this thing is crazy and doesn't kickstarter take a part of this?

Posted by ReyGitano

Gotta love Tim; he's imaginative in everything he does, even in how he runs his business.

Posted by Example1013

Tim Schafer being interviewed from his throne, I see.

Posted by EnduranceFun

Long live Double Fine!

Posted by Ghostiet
@MindOST said:

How much money to make Lincoln Force?

How come this brilliant idea got lost in the sea of comments?
Posted by vinsanityv22

I don't care much for graphic "adventures" (pointing and clicking isn't exactly Uncharted. I have no idea why this genre stole the word "adventure"), but I will kick a few bucks to the Kickstarter in the hopes that Double Fine will get around to releasing another Costume Quest (or Costume Quest-esque title) with the money. Or Psychonauts 2. And hopefully it will release on PS3 so I can play it, instead of this Xbox exclusive silliness that has taken control of their last two games...

Posted by sirdesmond

Great interview, good questions, solid contributions from Patrick.