281 Comments
Posted by Xeirus

@tyemry said:

maybe, all we have to do is fund and support the games and developers we like to get the products that we want.

That statement got me rock hard.

Posted by Chris2KLee

Great interview, only gets me more excited for things to come.

Posted by tescovee

"I'm not putting my mouth on that"

Posted by composite

Sittin' On The Can with Patrick Klepek.

Posted by Kevin_Cogneto

@tescovee said:

"I'm not putting my mouth on that"

Lips, you fool, lips! Your Tim Schafer fan card is revoked!

(Kidding. But not really.)

Posted by Ersanven

Soon they will have my money.

Posted by Tearhead

This is so awesome and exciting! I'm happy to throw in my $15!

Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Great interview. I am really happy for everyone at Double Fine.

Posted by Driadon

Tim, you your studio does what I've always wanted to do as a member of the games industry: you want to do nothing more than to turn your ideas into art and share it with the world. Keep living the dream, be the pioneer so that the rest of the world can catch up.

Posted by Lydian_Sel

I'll throw in $20 to see a new Tim Schafer joint, happily!

Posted by Diablos1125

Great interview Patrick. I wish Tim Schafer and everyone at Double Fine the best. I'm excited to be a backer for this project and see how this experiment works out for them.

Posted by Masha2932

That toilet picture of Tim Schafer is great. Unfortunately most pictures of Mr. Schafer online are of him making a 'crazy' face.

Posted by Apollo87

The industry doesn't get enough feel-good moments like this very often, this can only be a good thing.

Posted by Cook66

This has been my favorite interview from GB thus far. Great job!

I chipped in the 100$ point to get my name in there for all eternity to see, more of you should donate as well if you haven't already. You do get some cool stuff and for once you are paying to make the game better rather than just covering costs and lining pockets of publishers.

Posted by jarko

@Klei said:

I'm super excited about Tim's new project. My wildest dream would be if they could acquire Grim Fandango, Monkey Island and Full Throttle back from the evil clutches of Lucasarts and make graphic-adventure sequels to them. These are all my favourite games, and they deserve to get some kind of re-release.

I'm going to cry if this happens.

Getting any rights from Lucasarts isn't going to happen, ever, but IF it could happen: I would personally be so much happier, if they would not do any sequel to any of these huge classics. Not that I don't believe in the talent of Double Fine, but I don't belive that the possible sequel to any of these classics would be on the par what people would expect, no matter who would be making them. All of those games are pretty much pinnacles of adventure gaming and high point of the so called golden era of adventure gaming, along with other classic titles like Sam & Max Hit The Road, Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, and so on.

I would rather see them doing something new. That's what Double Fine do best, I think.

Posted by Pyso

Very excited to be backing this, well spent 30$. My only regret is that I don't have more money to throw at Tim Schafer & co!

Posted by SeriouslyNow

I do hope that Tim takes a sizeable chunk of that cash and spreads it between a bunch of other smaller Kickstarter projects.

Posted by SeriouslyNow

@Kevin_Cogneto: Mark Hamill is an awesome voice actor. To think we've seen where he started in video games and where he ended, that's pretty crazy.

Posted by HatKing

I can't wait to see the Double Fine guys come back to the GiantBomb offices. That'll be such an exciting event.

Posted by KestrelPi

@SeriouslyNow: I hope not! ~2 million is still a pretty small budget for a game nowadays and I don't doubt they'll be able to put the whole thing to good use. Also, we pledged money for this project, not for other projects, so there's a bit of an ethical problem with using the money elsewhere.

Posted by SeriouslyNow

@SurplusGamer said:

@SeriouslyNow: I hope not! ~2 million is still a pretty small budget for a game nowadays and I don't doubt they'll be able to put the whole thing to good use. Also, we pledged money for this project, not for other projects, so there's a bit of an ethical problem with using the money elsewhere.

I also pledged money mate and their target was originally 400,000, so 1.6 million is substantially more than they asked for.

Posted by freakin9

When Ryan was jumping up and down and proclaiming his glee about how much of a success Double Fine was on a recent TNT I knew something rang false about that. Trenched was hardly a huge success, or really a great game for that matter, and none of their previous games were huge successes either. Hopefully they become successful but this story is both cool but unfortunate that they are still in a position that they can't fund their own projects.

Posted by Jonnyflash80

I'm so excited for a new adventure game coming from the labyrinthine mind of Shafer.

Edited by KestrelPi

@SeriouslyNow: That money being substantially more than they asked for doesn't mean they won't find uses for the money. £400,000 was the minimum that they were willing to attempt to make a game with. with around 2 million they'll be able to make something much better by a combination of bringing more people onto the team, having a bigger voice budget, being able to work on it longer possibly and so on. They will EASILY find ways to spend that money on this project, trust me.

Many people would rightfully be upset if the money they pledged to make an adventure game with was being siphoned off into other projects. This is the fund for a Double Fine Adventure, not the general Double Fine 'give us money for us to do what we like with' fund. While you personally and some others might not mind money being shifted elsewhere, plenty want the money to go towards what they actually paid for.

Posted by Scodiac

Good read. Some people do their best thinking on the toilet eh haha.

Posted by SeriouslyNow

@SurplusGamer It was just an idea so that DF could help seed other projects on Kickstarter too, just as other successful people helped them out. The idea is to encourage people to make great products. No need to get so defensive at the mention of an idea mate.

Posted by djenson

I can't wait to play their new adventure game!

Posted by KestrelPi

@SeriouslyNow: I think you're a little confused about who is being defensive here. I'm just answering the point that you made, and saying why I think that it's a bad idea (and also very unlikely to happen).

Posted by SeriouslyNow

@SurplusGamer: I'm not confused.

Edited by avantegardener

I am well and truely over the point and click adventure revival, there is a reason why this genre fell out of favour. I think Tim Schafer and especially Ron Gilbert have become very overated (perhaps over inflated by their fans nostalgia) mind you I wish Double Fine all the best with their new project, hopefully it will great.

Posted by Enigma_2099

This shows that people put a lot of faith in you Schaffer. You can't let them down.

Posted by mrcraggle

@freakin9: I too gathered that none of their recent games had been very successful. I was listening to the CAGcast and Wombat didn't seem to get that. Even with the releases of Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, Once Upon A Monster and most recently Happy Action Theatre, it has always seemed that DF been successful enough to keep going and keep making games but never been in a position where they've had this huge successful game and not need to worry about money. I remember seeing lots of hype and promotion for Brutal Legend here in the UK but that game was a flop and Psychonauts only has an audience with people that already know about it.

I wish them Tim Schafer and the rest of the team at DF success on this project and their future endeavours. The Monkey Island series holds a special place in my heart and Grim Fandango is one of my favourite games of all time. Maybe they can collaborate with TellTale Games and we'll have the gang back together.

Posted by kennybaese

Man, Brutal Legend would've been awesome if it wasn't for the real time strategy stuff...

I'm excited for this. Here's to hoping they put whatever this is out on a system I can play it on.

Posted by Rixalabur

Looking forward to the process and the end result! Worth the money!

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

@avantegardener said:

I am well and truely over the point and click adventure revival, there is a reason why this genre fell out of favour. I think Tim Schafer and especially Ron Gilbert have become very overated (perhaps over inflated by their fans nostalgia) mind you I wish Double Fine all the best with their new project, hopefully it will great.

Damn straight. I have no idea how this blew up as big as it did, Telltale basically oversaturated the genre and made me sick to death of it. Unfortunately, it seems like the bulk of these donators were just riding a nostalgia wave hoping for LucasArts revivals, because if not for that, I can't fathom a reason as of why Double Fine would deserve this kind of money for a project that has literally no information other than "hey, it's an old adventure game".

Personally, finding out this Kickstarter is in the million-count while other ideas are not being paid as much attention to is a bit disgusting.

It was also kind of low, to me, for Double Fine to even propose this situation in the first place.

Edited by KestrelPi

@LegendaryChopChop said:

Damn straight. I have no idea how this blew up as big as it did, Telltale basically oversaturated the genre and made me sick to death of it. Unfortunately, it seems like the bulk of these donators were just riding a nostalgia wave hoping for LucasArts revivals, because if not for that, I can't fathom a reason as of why Double Fine would deserve this kind of money for a project that has literally no information other than "hey, it's an old adventure game".

Personally, finding out this Kickstarter is in the million-count while other ideas are not being paid as much attention to is a bit disgusting.

It was also kind of low, to me, for Double Fine to even propose this situation in the first place.

Well, you would be right.

Except that there's plenty we do know, for example: it's a Tim Schafer adventure game, and he has a track record of making some of the best adventure games of all time. We also know Ron Gilbert is there, with his similar track record. We also know Double Fine has a reputation for creating the sort of humourous, stylish content adventures thrive on. We also know that it's going to be filmed and we're going to be able to watch an in depth documentary of the process, and access to the beta, and the ability to provide feedback while it's still in development.

And except that other Kickstarter projects have reported an increase in funding since the double fine thing started, so it's been good for the whole scene.

And except that I can't name a single indie developer (of which I am one) who is genuinely sore about Double Fine's success and most are very happy for them.

And except that there's no reason for Double Fine not to do this, they need to raise money to make games just like nigh on every developer out there, the fact that they're a medium sized studio with a couple of retail releases under their belt does not make them immune to this need. Furthermore they've explained in the video and on the page what the deal is, they're not forcing anyone to pledge money, it's just that people want to - that's the sort of power you too can have when you've spent 20 years building up good will.

So yeah, aside from those things, you have a pretty good point.

Posted by demonbear
I can look at this picture all day, and laugh every time. How awesome is this man's face?
Posted by probablytuna

Given them my money, now I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride.

Posted by umdesch4

I notice that at some point recently, they added 3 more slots to the $10,000 tier. More lunches up for grabs!

Too bad that's just a little out of my budget range...

Posted by swedmiro

wait what... 200.000 for an iphone game? Are they nuts! Then you need to sell a quarter of a million games just to break even! Hope Shafer has a bean counter and a marketing guy that can tell him the reality of the iphone games market!

Posted by dudeglove

@AhmadMetallic said:

Three articles about Double Fine in less than a week.. this is getting unprofessional.

This community really needs to get you a badge that says "I can suck the fun out of any room I walk into".

Edited by umdesch4
Posted by AhmadMetallic
@dudeglove said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Three articles about Double Fine in less than a week.. this is getting unprofessional.

This community really needs to get you a badge that says "I can suck the fun out of any room I walk into".

I've brought and had more fun with this community over the past year than you've had your entire life, bro.
Posted by Fjordson

@avantegardener said:

I disagree with your first point. For some reason I just love adventure games when they're done well.

But I definitely agree with your second point. Which is tough to say since Gilbert and Schafer have made incredible games, but those incredible games are old as hell now. All of Double Fine's recent work has been boring as fuck, so I'm somewhat surprised that they seem to have so many fans. And as for Gilbert, the last thing he did (Deathspank) was incredibly mediocre.

Hopefully them returning to the adventure game genre will be a benefit since that's where both of their best work is, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Posted by Manatassi

Its amazing that Double Fine have become such a progressive and industry changing developer branching out in amazing directions and opening up pathways for other developers to walk down. Tim Schafer and his merry band of Doublefineians are like a pioneering adventuring group of explorers wildly stumbling about on the boundaries of the industry but somehow they seem to keep their footing.

I have to say BRAVO!!

Double Fine are a much needed breath of slightly crazy air in the lungs of the games industry :D

Posted by Suits

He's kind of like a mix of the awesome parts from Gabe Newell, Jack Black and Michel Ancel ;o

Posted by tescovee

@Kevin_Cogneto: I blame the beer I was enjoying at the time and the fact that I have a memory like an infant. *sadly hands back my Tim Schafer fan card*

Edited by Chris_Ihao

Seriously considering paying the 100 buckaroos, if not only for the honorable mention and poster. Even more due to the fact that they can polish this future gem even a bit more due to my contribution.

@LegendaryChopChop said:

@avantegardener said:

No wonder you'd say that after having played Double Fine Happy Action Theater all night long. ;) Seriously though, I believe that people just dont go buy Telltale games just because they want to be nice. They obviously get fun out of the games or they would keep their dollars safely tucked in their pockets during these economically challenged times. That so many have donated only means that there are enough of us that cares, and I cant imagine that the leftover money after this game is shipped wont be employed in a similarly useful fashion.

Posted by Slumberpunch

Calling for a 3 month blackout on all things Double Fine on Giant Bomb.

Posted by sporkwaffles

Crazy to think this still has a few more weeks left.