227 Comments
Posted by 1337W422102

I picked it up for $5 during that Xbox "countdown to 2014" sale. The lack of split-screen is completely inexcusable. Fun as this is, I wouldn't have paid more than that for it.

Posted by StoffInator

Can't believe you guys are playing a multiplatform game on the PS3.

Posted by shodan2020

Super Snowboard Xtreme. Come on, Coonce, get it together. (Miss you).

Posted by vinsanityv22

I feel like I'm the only one who played SSX Blur:( To be fair, it wasn't a good game, but that's not EA's fault. It was a failure because of the Wii nunchuk and it's unresponsive tech - to this day, it's the only game that's caused me to chuck a controller at a wall. It was just so inconsistent.

That being said, I'm super glad to see SSX is back ...again. Amped 3 may still be the most interesting snowboarder, but man...SSX! WOO!

Edited by WrathOfBanja

I wish auto wasn't on by default. I've been redirected to this SSX quick look god knows how many times.

Posted by Yahto

Ugh. Fuck this quick look! It autoplays inevitably after any video I watch just to taunt me about Coonce not being around any more.

Posted by bennym6

BYE COONCE :'(

Posted by redxjj1

when your not time your not in your prime.

Posted by Master_Funk

Bye Sean Coonce. Since this is last video GB posted involving you, I though it best to say here that I'll miss you. Have fun around the globe.

Posted by kn00tcn

weak, same camo track that's in wipeout, come on there are MILLIONS of d&b tracks, stop mainstream diarrhea'ing them up

Posted by shaddowkhan

talk much

Posted by whatisdelicious

Also, seriously, after playing the demo and watching this Quick Look, I haven't seen a game recently that just doesn't seem to care about your inputs as much as this one. Never felt like what I did really mattered. Seems the same here. Maybe more so.

Posted by whatisdelicious

@jford said:

FF to 11 minutes in to see actual gameplay.

A great example of why I think Quick Looks are too long now. Too much fluff, or just too much. Those Vita Quick Looks were all a pretty good length. These 45-minute to an hour standard Quick Looks are killing me. I end up bailing out halfway through so often now.

Posted by jford

FF to 11 minutes in to see actual gameplay.

Edited by oldschool2112

@StoffInator said:

Kind of shocked you guys are playing a PS3

Thinking the same thing.

Can't get into the 'every trick has to be a rail slide', and boots-out-of-bindings trick mechanics of SSX games, but not faulting them for it - its SSX's signature style. Everything else is absolutely amazing about this game and think the survival mode is more to my liking. Still hoping for a snowboarding game more the likes of 'Pure', where at least basic mechanics of the sport are recognized and respected, but with all the big mountain asthetics of SSX.

Also, hated the soundtrack as featured on the quicklood. I hope that is modifiable.

Posted by reflekshun

This looks fucking awesome, *added to wishlist*

Posted by Bones8677

@G0rd0nFr33m4n said:

@jakob187 said:

This is probably one of the worst Quick Looks I've ever seen done by Giant Bomb.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Ryan does the same goddamn grind and the same goddamn Signature Trick every fucking time for half of this video! Granted, I get it - he's not someone that puts an insubordinate amount of time into this game like many of us do. At the same time, I just don't know if this is the best way to show off SSX to people in terms of what you can do in the game.

This is something I've noticed for a while now and I need to comment on it.

(Just from my own viewing)

I've noticed around 8/10 people who complain about how the giantbomb crew handles things ARE NON-PAYING MEMBERS. I am not an elitist but if you expect to be taken seriously by me and probably a lot of the community, why don't you help put food on the crews table before being a god damn prick to them eh? Yay for the internet I suppose...

Just saying.

You are an Elitist. That is all.

Posted by StoffInator

Kind of shocked you guys are playing a PS3

Posted by Judakel

@G0rd0nFr33m4n: "I am not an elitist, but..."

Posted by topgunmv

@G0rd0nFr33m4n said:

@jakob187 said:

This is probably one of the worst Quick Looks I've ever seen done by Giant Bomb.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Ryan does the same goddamn grind and the same goddamn Signature Trick every fucking time for half of this video! Granted, I get it - he's not someone that puts an insubordinate amount of time into this game like many of us do. At the same time, I just don't know if this is the best way to show off SSX to people in terms of what you can do in the game.

I've noticed around 8/10 people who complain about how the giantbomb crew handles things ARE NON-PAYING MEMBERS. I am not an elitist but if you expect to be taken seriously by me and probably a lot of the community, why don't you help put food on the crews table before being a god damn prick to them eh? Yay for the internet I suppose...

Just saying.

The guys must have put This Breakout Kings advertisement in the corner of my screen out of the goodness of their hearts.

Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n

@jakob187 said:

Just saying.

Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n

@TheHBK said:

Stupid online passes, and even weirder for this game... no multiplayer? Really?

Yeah this surprised me too, it also made me realise that as much as I am interested in this game, I see ZERO need to purchase it day 1 with no multiplayer. And seeing how weak the online pass features are, I'll probably buy it used.... I want to support game companies by buying new but damn this game makes a weak argument for doing so.

Posted by bunkerbuster05

Jesus Christ, dubstep Run DMC is awesome. Totally checking out this game.

Posted by solidlife

@RecallBerserk: Guess it is as I got it answered.

Posted by solidlife

@SaturdayNightSpecials: Thanks for your help, duder

Posted by TruthTellah

@Daftasabat said:

10 mins before any actual gameplay....nice. So, is SSX more menus than gameplay, cos that's what i'm getting here

You can get in and out of menus a lot quicker than was shown in the Quick Look. Ryan was just wanting to show off everything and talk about the game, and it is a good bit difficult to talk about it while trying to focus on playing. If you just want run after run after run, you can absolutely do that. :)

Edited by Deusoma

For the record, in case anyone else was curious about the acronym Ryan refused to utter, I'm told this game claims the SSX team is a multi-sport deal, and that it stands for "Snowboarding, Surfing, and Motocross", with 'motocross' of course being spelled 'motoX', as if it were 1997 and Xtreme Sportz were still a thing.

Edited by Daftasabat

10 mins before any actual gameplay....nice. So, is SSX more menus than gameplay, cos that's what i'm getting here

Posted by radioactivez0r

So basically at this point, EA is putting some kind of Online Pass in all their games and figuring what it actually restricts later eh? Because that list mostly sounded like DLC-type stuff (with the exception of keeping your global event winnings).

Posted by Royce_McCutcheon

God damn, Ryan loves his menus.

Posted by AngryRedPlumber

I like the features and depth of this game. But this makes me want a snowboarding game a little more grounded in reality, like a new Amped. However, I'd take something ridiculous like Amped 3 also.

Posted by act26

I CANT STOP

Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials

@solidlife said:

what is the song at 19:20 please help!

Houdini by Foster the People.

Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials

Hit the noise and the cherries Bart

Posted by umdesch4

Alas, I wanted to love this game so badly, but now that I've played it for about 14-15 hours, after playing about 5-6 hours of the demo last week, and consistently sucking so badly I rarely even finish a course, my frustration level has finally beaten out my enjoyment level, and I think I'm about ready to quit.

Nice to see other people loving this game and kicking ass at it though. If you're an old-school, hardcore PC keyboard/mouse gamer who ever has difficulty with console controllers where skill amounts to about 75% thumb dexterity, you might want to try this game before you buy it. I personally don't have the thumbs for it.

Edited by 234r2we232

@RecallBerserk said:

@solidlife said:

This isn't youtube

Indeed. There are far less "first" comments on YouTube.

On topic: Oh hey. This EA game sure looks like every other EA game :|

Posted by RecallBerserk

@solidlife said:

This isn't youtube

Posted by solidlife

Posted by Daiphyer

Ahhh Coonce. High five indeed!

Posted by mnzy
@Xeiphyer said:
You could tape down the acceleration button on a controller in any racing game, and you would finish the race.
No, you would get stuck in the first corner.
Posted by Splodge

@EndrzGame said:

@gunslingerNZ said:

@EndrzGame said:

Played the demo a few times and I REALLY wanted to like it but sadly I was pretty disappointed. I loved all the SSX games last gen, especially SSX 3. The controls just felt way to loose for my liking. I'll rent it some time this year.

I'm with you mate, they've removed a lot of what made the previous games fun and interesting by making the tricks so easy to pull off. I really miss the mechanic of setting yourself up for a jump and then being locked into that line while you pre-wound a trick. I think that's what makes everything feel so loose.

@toots: Yes! You summed up my feelings exactly, I don't understand why there aren't more people that feel this way if the genuinely liked the previous SSX games.

Exactly! With the previous games when you would pre-wind you were COMMITTED to that jump. With a little precision-and luck-I would find the best lines in a track and have a blast. This new one just feels too slap-dash for me. Oh-well. At least SSX 3 is backward compatible on the 360. I still play it every now and then.

Ryan seems to bail alot in this video. Is he just bad? Regardless, it looks like a lot of fun.

Posted by EndrzGame

@gunslingerNZ said:

@EndrzGame said:

Played the demo a few times and I REALLY wanted to like it but sadly I was pretty disappointed. I loved all the SSX games last gen, especially SSX 3. The controls just felt way to loose for my liking. I'll rent it some time this year.

I'm with you mate, they've removed a lot of what made the previous games fun and interesting by making the tricks so easy to pull off. I really miss the mechanic of setting yourself up for a jump and then being locked into that line while you pre-wound a trick. I think that's what makes everything feel so loose.

@toots: Yes! You summed up my feelings exactly, I don't understand why there aren't more people that feel this way if the genuinely liked the previous SSX games.

Exactly! With the previous games when you would pre-wind you were COMMITTED to that jump. With a little precision-and luck-I would find the best lines in a track and have a blast. This new one just feels too slap-dash for me. Oh-well. At least SSX 3 is backward compatible on the 360. I still play it every now and then.

Posted by kollay

The soundtrack is fucking great.

Posted by Underdog46

I feel the avalanche concept would be more interesting in a snowboarding game.

Edited by ultrapeanut

So great. I wish I could buy a billion more copies.

Posted by manbot47

i burned through the story mode on the first day

Posted by Xeiphyer
@MAD_JIHAD said:

@DarkbeatDK said:

Was playing the demo with some friends and our experience with it was not very positive.

*The only way to bail is if you press any of the buttons. Hitting trees and rocks does nothing

*There's tons of autosteering and magnetic rails that draw your character in

*At no point are there any sockpuppets or stopmotion cutscenes like in Amped 3

That is pretty pathetic.

This is also one of the easiest tracks in the game, and from personal experience/ other people trying it, you only finish the race occasionally. I'd say 80% of the tracks would be impossible to do this on, probably closer to 90%, but I haven't tried them all yet.

Don't want to blow your mind, but you're on a mountain, if you don't do anything, you still slide down it. 

Also, because this is a race event, finishing the course with a time of over 3 minutes when regular people finish under 2 minutes, isn't really a good thing. The bronze medal time is for people who are extremely bad at the game, so that its nearly impossible to finish without getting anything. This game is designed for all types of players after all. If you compare the bronze and silver times and scores on any track, you'll see that bronze is always extremely easy, as this video demonstrates.

You could tape down the acceleration button on a controller in any racing game, and you would finish the race. Its the exact same, so i'm not sure why there is such a big deal being made in this case. Its a racing event, the goal is to be fast, not to finish. If you want to try this on a survival event and it works, then we can bitch and complain, but as it is, this video only proves that gravity pulls objects down slopes.

Its not really worth mentioning, but in a trick it event, this would get you nowhere.

The only real complaint that could be made is that the game magnetizes you to rails, and while SSX does have its share of oddities and faults (Characters are pretty faceless, having to rewind in Trick It ruins any chance of getting a good score, etc), I don't think the magnetism is one of them. Actually its the opposite. When you're racing or tricking down a mountain at 250km/h, its very difficult to line up with the rails exactly, and considering how extreme many of the courses are (especially the later ones, holy fuck!), trying to hit the rail normally can be extremely difficult.

SSX is a game about getting the fastest times down a mountain or getting the hugest combos and perfect runs. Its not about missing a rail by an inch and having to restart 3 minutes of a perfect run (That already happens a ton anyways). The challenge of the game shouldn't be trying to land on the things you want to land on, but trying to be the best at what the track is offering.

Anyways, this is still the hardest SSX game i've played by far, so thinking that the game is easy or that it plays itself is just plain wrong.
Posted by AbbaCuus

@selbie said:

So this is essentially like Trackmania for snowboarding?

Sign me the fuck up!

Posted by MoseSSesoM

I really like the soundtrack of this game, but I really can't play it worth a shit.

Posted by PandaShake

It looks like snow ballet, but a incredibly well put together game. Want to try that demo