Log in or sign up to comment
1225 Comments
Posted by Pinworm45

Pretty fucking hilarious that after all this white knighting, the girl you're all defending is now literally considering sueing for libel (if the above is to be believed - at worst she's still against these articles) because of how she was portrayed as against this culture.

I'm sorry, continue your tyrade against what other groups of people enjoy.

Posted by Tennmuerti

I find it kind of funny that we are on a site where of of the biggest peronalities is Ryan, a dude who's m.o. is basically being a complete dick to everyone, say nasty shit, make digs at interns, etc etc. And a lot of people love him for it. Because most of us realise he does it as a joke, to entertain us.

All I had to do was to watch 1 one, EVO broadcast last year with Bakhtanians to realise he was pretty much behaving exactly like Ryan. He gave shit to everyone for everything, dudes, ladies no matter.

Posted by NancyDrewFan123
Posted by MethodMan008

@BlazeHedgehog said:

@Nefarious_Al said:

The FGC is not for the faint of heart. Some of us like that.

This to me reads like "We have our own little club house, don't mind the 'no girls allowed' sign, some of us don't take it seriously."

It's not like that all. Everyone gets jokes, white people, black people, asian people, chicks, dudes, etc.. Two of the most famous people in the FGC are transgender or homosexual. And they get tons of jokes thrown there way. And they are just jokes.

When Miranda asked him to stopped, he stopped.

If Ricky Ortiz was offended by the gay jokes he gets, he would tell people to stop, and they would stop.

Edited by Phatmac

Well Dtoid removed their article, won't be long until this is taken down too.. Damn, people be crazy.

Posted by Ett

@m2cks:

The show is still on. he is busy 18 hours a day . Also he has a NDA till the end of the show. If Patrick Klepek wait one day before posting this he would have the whole story not just from Aris but also from Haunts and spooky and al the contested if he wanted. But now that his found out he get a whole community mad he is looking for comments from people who are in the FGC. Patrick Klepek made a halve assed article on a sub culture he didn't take a look at before posting this.

Edited by IamAwesome

@mrfluke said:

@IamAwesome said:

Yoooo shots fired

Miranda PakozdiSuper__Yan
lol fuck Destructoid. They tried to get me to talk to them several times and I ignored it so they made a post anyway.. jerkoffs.
DAMMM and if u looked at patricks twitter she gave him the story and talked to her THE SCOOPZ MAN STRIKES BACK AT THE NEW COMPETITION

Oh you mean this?

@Super__Yan: because GiantBomb specifically said "she tweeted" or "on her twitter" from parts they got, since I didn't speak to them either.
Posted by hermes

I don't know whats more depressing: his skills to interact with adults, even outside of matches; his justification of personal attacks as part of the game and the great community environment (the basketball quote is golden); or the amount of people defending him because he is a charismatic guy.

Seriously, his whole argument sounds like a manchild being defensive because he got called out on his treehouse club.

Online
Edited by mrfluke
@UnAbel said:

@MisuseOfLasers said:

@Nefarious_Al said:

Is Aris a dickhead? Yeah, but he is like that to everyone Miranda was not getting special treatment.

I didn't see him asking sexual questions to the male team members, or threatening to smell them if they lost a match. Being a dickhead, even if it's to everyone, should not be acceptable behavior anywhere. There's a difference between trash talk and being an asshole. One is okay, one isn't.

Except he literally told Ricky Ortiz he would rape him--he also actually DID smell Mike Ross while he was playing the game. You didn't watch shit. You read this article and posted just like the rest of these Giant Bomb sheep.

By the way, Giant Bomb, I'd like to point out that Miranda herself, you know, the guy you guys are white knighting so hard for? Yeah, she spoke out against these articles. There was a reason she turned you AND Destructoid down, Patrick:

https://twitter.com/#!/Super__Yan/status/174601661401149440

/done

yea she turned him down but check her twitter again  she has no problem with giantbombs article  
  
http://twitter.com/#!/Super__Yan/status/174604445349445633  
https://twitter.com/#!/Super__Yan/status/174605375788695552  
https://twitter.com/#!/Super__Yan/status/174605263393923073 
  
and patrick even responded back to her  
http://twitter.com/#!/patrickklepek/status/174605378712125441 
/done
Posted by onimonkii

@BlazeHedgehog said:

Like it or not, by Fighting Games are nearing that point where they can either be respected and professional and move on to the "big leagues" of popularity and mainstream entertainment, or they can stay a small-time clubhouse. That's the crossroads that's happening right now. Do you want to scare away sponsors (such as the very people who produce the games you are playing) just so you and your friends can continue to be "uncensored" in your little tree house, or do you want to ride this train all the way up to the possibility of potential TV coverage? One involves continuing to be crass assholes, and the other involves booting out those who are hurting the reputation of you, your community, and its sponsors.

the sad truth is most people would pick the treehouse. the fgc has a very "accept us at our worst or not at all, we don't need you" mentality to it.

Posted by joefromdayton

Bakhtanians looks like an Evil Ryan Davis.

Posted by rmanthorp
Moderator
Posted by Huey2k2

@Turambar said:

@Huey2k2 said:

As someone who knows nothing about the fighting game community, or the people in it. I must say, this article is rather silly. Anytime you have any sort of serious competitive atmosphere there is going to be trash talking, and nothing in this article is especially over the top as far as trash talking goes. Go play some COD on Xbox Live and tell me that anything in this is crossing the line, because the shit you hear on there is about 100 times worse than this.

Trash talking is part of competition, ask any kind of professional athlete, they all do it. If you can't take the heat, get out of the metaphorical kitchen.

If you don't like being forced to sit in the back of the bus in Montgomery, Alabama, get out of the South. Oh wait.

Except playing video games in a competitive environment (especially for money) is a choice, you don't have to do it. Being born into a segregated community and not being able to move is definitely not your choice.

Posted by MethodMan008

@Phatmac: She is cool with this article. She is just made at Dtoid for not citing her tweets (that were out of context) and making it look like an actual interview.

Posted by Maluvin

@Skogen said:

The bottom line is people don't understand the culture. Most people left the arcades when they stopped being casual, while people playing fighting games stayed in the trenches. It is very much so a hardened culture, one not easily tamed by the sudden comeuppance of the Street Fighter name in recent years. A majority of people like to forget the fact that fighting games were produced between Street Fighter II and Street Fighter IV and most importantly that there were people actively playing the games between then. Do you really expect the community to be the same after it was abandoned 15 some-odd years ago?

Oh please. That makes it sound like they were abandoned on a hostile planet with no hope of rescue where they had to turn into survivalists just to find the next day's meal. Gaming tastes just changed, people moved on from the scene, then came back later to check it out again.

Even if abandoned it's not like they were isolated on an island ignorant of what's good and bad behavior. This kind of bad behavior isn't just ignorance and bad manners, it's willful ignorance because they know it bothers people. It's a choice and we know this because there's people within these communities who don't act this way.

Posted by Brenderous

Wait, so there's people who think this kind of talk in acceptable?

Posted by actionTACO

you can't do a hadouken without quartercircle + rapejoke. commonsense, people. jeeezz

Edited by UnAbel

By the way, Patrick, don't think we don't see what you're trying to do. Sorry, but we'd rather everyone hate us because of your sensationalistic and wrong article about the fighting game community than sell-out the way StarCaraft II did. We're not eSports, we're the FGC. We're a fun, friendly REAL community, full of real personalities. Some of us are dickheads. Funny dickheads, but yes, still dickheads. I would advise one to grow up and stop trying to profit off of a situation that literally had nothing to do with them, or their website.

Posted by Vexxan

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@AnEternalEnigma said:

This Aris guy sounds like a gigantic idiot that needs to be slapped in the face repeatedly.

Edited by Curious_George

Rea: You know what it is, to be honest with you? We’re getting older. Do you really want to keep hanging around with a bunch of [guys in their] early 20s who don’t know how to treat one another with respect? That’s what it is.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older as well, but this sentiment rings true with me. There are a lot of gaming communities that could benefit from a little more mutual respect and less trash talk. Trash talk between friends is fine, but too often in gaming it crosses the line. Animosity does not create a fun or enjoyable environment to game in.

Posted by admanb
@UnAbel said:

By the way, Giant Bomb, I'd like to point out that Miranda herself, you know, the guy you guys are white knighting so hard for? Yeah, she spoke out against these articles. There was a reason she turned you AND Destructoid down, Patrick:

https://twitter.com/#!/Super__Yan/status/174601661401149440

/done

That's not true. She spoke out against Destructoid's because it was written as if she had spoken to them. She liked GiantBomb's article. 
 
And just because Aris is a general shitstain doesn't mean he's not also a sexist shitstain.
Edited by NoelVeiga

@Tennmuerti said:

I find it kind of funny that we are on a site where of of the biggest peronalities is Ryan, a dude who's m.o. is basically being a complete dick to everyone, say nasty shit, make digs at interns, etc etc. And a lot of people love him for it. Because most of us realise he does it as a joke, to entertain us.

All I had to do was to watch 1 one, EVO broadcast last year with Bakhtanians to realise he was pretty much behaving exactly like Ryan. He gave shit to everyone for everything, dudes, ladies no matter.

I have never ONCE seen Ryan make a sexist joke on air. I've never seen him make a joke about raping a character, or ask anybody about their boobs. The times I've heard him joke about characters being oversexualized it's been to point out that somebody went and put big jiggly boobs on a character, not to drool over said boobies. In fact, I sort of remember some mild, amused negativity over DoA Extreme from all of the guys. They've never seemed to feel anything but uncomfortable about that sort of thing. Hell, even a few times both him and Jeff have criticised games for generic unnecessary cursing.

I'm done being outraged at people defending this shit, but I've entered a phase of strong surprise at just how fucking tone deaf people are. If this guy sounds and feels like Ryan to you there's not a sexism problem here, there's a problem with basic communication. I'm starting to honestly believe that this is not about people being hateful and hurtful, it's about some form of light autism syndrome preventing some people from being able to predict what others will find funny or annoying.

Posted by darkdragonmage99
@UnAbel:  Maybe she should have not ignored them chances are not knowing the standers of the publication if she would have replied back with something along the lines of I don't want a story about me they would have you know known that and maybe not made one. 
Posted by mfpantst
@Pinworm45: @Phatmac: @soramimicry
I'd just like to comment to you guys, I went and read her twitter thread, she says she's ok with the GB article, not with what sterling wrote.  She elaborates that both parties asked to speak with her and she declined, but Sterling wrote things quoting her anyways (as if she spoke with him).  And she was cool with Patrick writing things from her twitter and being specific like that.  I have a feeling this article stays up.  What she's looking to sue for is mis-attribution in the Destructiod article. Which is more or less quoting someone as if you talked to them when you didn't. 
Posted by Dallas_Raines

@Pinworm45 said:

Pretty fucking hilarious that after all this white knighting, the girl you're all defending is now literally considering sueing for libel (if the above is to be believed - at worst she's still against these articles) because of how she was portrayed as against this culture.

I'm sorry, continue your tyrade against what other groups of people enjoy.

She just said she doesn't mind Patrick's article.

Posted by AxleBro

some people in these comments could stand to hop off that high horse and realize this is one person in the fgc.

a person popular in videos because of his "antics"

i wont defend him, i don't care enough to. but seeing people on here bash the community as a whole, that offends me. every group has bad apples. we have done far more good than bad.

Edited by I_smell

Wow, this is all a weird conversation.
I think everyone would benefit if a few dudes just tried to be a bit less creepy, and said "Hey, it's cool, we're all still friends, I'll be less weird." 
and if they learned when to say "hey shut up, Chat" like the GiantBomb guys would.

Posted by UnAbel

@mrfluke: Read again, she has a problem with sensationalism of the article, of which she didn't know would be present when she commented.

/done

Posted by algertman
Posted by Turambar
@Pinworm45 said:

@Turambar said:

@Huey2k2 said:

As someone who knows nothing about the fighting game community, or the people in it. I must say, this article is rather silly. Anytime you have any sort of serious competitive atmosphere there is going to be trash talking, and nothing in this article is especially over the top as far as trash talking goes. Go play some COD on Xbox Live and tell me that anything in this is crossing the line, because the shit you hear on there is about 100 times worse than this.

Trash talking is part of competition, ask any kind of professional athlete, they all do it. If you can't take the heat, get out of the metaphorical kitchen.

If you don't like being forced to sit in the back of the bus in Montgomery, Alabama, get out of the South. Oh wait.

Do you actually think that mutual trash talk in a competitive gaming culture that embraces trash talk is at all comparable to the legal and willful physical oppression of a race on public property?

That's so incredibly insulting and ignorant of an actual plight it's pathetic.

A subculture that willfully embraces derogative speech based on racial, gender, and sexual orientation lines.  This is what you are defending.  What the fuck is wrong with you.
Posted by TadThuggish

@UnAbel said:

@mrfluke: Read again, she has a problem with sensationalism of the article, of which she didn't know would be present when she commented.

/done

I just had a test in PSYC 101 that included confirmation bias.

Posted by Slaker117
Miranda Pakozdi

I read [the Giant Bomb article] and I don't have much of a problem with it. They STATED that things were from my twitter, whereas destructoid made it sound like I talked to them and said those things (which were awkwardly out of context)

 So there. The problem wasn't with the nature of Destructoid's article, just the context in which she was quoted.
Posted by baladec

Thank you for this article Patrick.

Posted by actionTACO

everyone knows its impossible to trash talk without making racist, sexist, or homophobic remarks. its like if you were trying to surf and someone took away the ocean. literally the same thing.

Posted by TadThuggish

@algertman said:

@rmanthorp said:

https://twitter.com/#!/Super__Yan/status/174601661401149440

This makes me sick. Fuck sake...

Then Sterling had to take the article down and fix it. How does that man still have a job? Game journalism is a joke.

Because being a decent human being doesn't matter when you have a HOT NEW LOOK AT MASS EFFECT 3!!!

Posted by MadLaughter

@UnAbel:

You're proud of being a dickhead and telling HIM to grow up? You need a reality check, dude.

Posted by UnAbel

@Turambar said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Turambar said:

@Huey2k2 said:

As someone who knows nothing about the fighting game community, or the people in it. I must say, this article is rather silly. Anytime you have any sort of serious competitive atmosphere there is going to be trash talking, and nothing in this article is especially over the top as far as trash talking goes. Go play some COD on Xbox Live and tell me that anything in this is crossing the line, because the shit you hear on there is about 100 times worse than this.

Trash talking is part of competition, ask any kind of professional athlete, they all do it. If you can't take the heat, get out of the metaphorical kitchen.

If you don't like being forced to sit in the back of the bus in Montgomery, Alabama, get out of the South. Oh wait.

Do you actually think that mutual trash talk in a competitive gaming culture that embraces trash talk is at all comparable to the legal and willful physical oppression of a race on public property?

That's so incredibly insulting and ignorant of an actual plight it's pathetic.

A subculture that willfully embraces derogative speech based on racial, gender, and sexual orientation lines. This is what you are defending. What the fuck is wrong with you.

Nothing. Get outside and talk to real people.

Posted by sissylion

People in the comments of an article about misogyny on a video game website are being super defensive of a misogynist and trying to paint someone who attacked him in a negative light?

Yep, sounds about right.

Posted by NoelVeiga

@AxleFGK: I don't think people are assuming that every single participant is like this. It's a discussion about whether this is tolerated at the more institutional level or not.

Posted by Clutch414

@darkdragonmage99: You clearly don't understand the First Amendment. The First Amendment only protects you from GOVERNMENT sanction for your speech; it doesn't protect you from other people calling you an asshole for acting like an asshole.

Posted by DjDonFrancisco

The guy in question seems like a child who wouldn't know respect if It hit him in the face. You can't relate sexual harassment to Starcraft. Sadly, this guy isn't the only immature gamer in the world. Plenty of people hop online everyday and yell absurdities at others, just because they can. Then they go about it as if their words are harmless. It's sad when you'd rather play a game with everyone's mic's muted because you don't want to hear crazy amounts of harassment, racism, and other ignorance.

Posted by Huey2k2

@Turambar said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Turambar said:

@Huey2k2 said:

As someone who knows nothing about the fighting game community, or the people in it. I must say, this article is rather silly. Anytime you have any sort of serious competitive atmosphere there is going to be trash talking, and nothing in this article is especially over the top as far as trash talking goes. Go play some COD on Xbox Live and tell me that anything in this is crossing the line, because the shit you hear on there is about 100 times worse than this.

Trash talking is part of competition, ask any kind of professional athlete, they all do it. If you can't take the heat, get out of the metaphorical kitchen.

If you don't like being forced to sit in the back of the bus in Montgomery, Alabama, get out of the South. Oh wait.

Do you actually think that mutual trash talk in a competitive gaming culture that embraces trash talk is at all comparable to the legal and willful physical oppression of a race on public property?

That's so incredibly insulting and ignorant of an actual plight it's pathetic.

A subculture that willfully embraces derogative speech based on racial, gender, and sexual orientation lines. This is what you are defending. What the fuck is wrong with you.

You are treating this like it is the equivalent of the KKK.

The only people who are being trash talked in this are people who choose to go and play these games there, if you go to play games in competitive environments you probably already know that trash talking goes on, and if that trash talking bothers you, you can simply choose not to do it and never once be exposed to it.

It's not like these people are coming to your house and saying these things to you, they aren't marching down the streets. They quite simply are not hurting anyone but themselves, and they seem to like it that way, so who fucking cares?

I don't come to your LAN party with your friends and tell you what you can and cannot say.

Posted by bluefoxxy

Patrick, let me start by saying that I love what you do. You've become someone I've admired for quite a while ever since the 1up days.

But this article kinda touched a nerve with me. I've never payed too much attention to the "FGC" fighting scene, but I know that boys will be boys, camera or not. This does NOT excuse their actions. Yes what they said was unprofessional and terrible in nature. And they said it under the flag of Capcom. Ergo, Capcom should apologize.

But lets cut the shit. There are PLENTY of streams gone up by Giant Bomb that include, "risque" and sexual annotations that could be EASILY defined as derogatory or sexually abusive. Yet there is no speak of this. No news stories. No apologies. Imagine for one minute that you brought on a key contributor to GB onto a live feed of anything and he spouted off something sexual towards babs or will or ANYONE. How fast would everyone acknowledge it and move on?

This is a terrible fluff story, and I'm genuinely ashamed that an article like this was posted here. I know its a dead gaming news week n all, but we should be focusing on how big of emotional babies everyone is in the FGC. Or how "salty" gamers can get on the cross assault show. Hell, even an article on how terrible the show is would suffice.

The reality show is based on gamers competing for 25 large. Not FGC and the sexual pillaging that happens there.

Posted by darkjester74

*opens door*

HEY GUYS, WHATS GOING ON IN HERE?!

*Internet explodes*

*closes door*

Posted by Fuga

Rea: Can I get my Street Fighter without sexual harassment?

Bakhtanians: You can’t. You can’t because they’re one and the same thing.

hahaha gamers

Posted by UnAbel

It makes me sad how people will believe anything if it's written by some guy on a website.

Posted by mrfluke
@DjDonFrancisco said:

The guy in question seems like a child who wouldn't know respect if It hit him in the face. You can't relate sexual harassment to Starcraft. Sadly, this guy isn't the only immature gamer in the world. Plenty of people hop online everyday and yell absurdities at others, just because they can. Then they go about it as if their words are harmless. It's sad when you'd rather play a game with everyone's mic's muted because you don't want to hear crazy amounts of harassment, racism, and other ignorance.

this definitely, an for fighting games, i know there is legit people that want to be a good face for fighting games, but this asshole does not do you guys any favors at all makes them look much worse 
Posted by Gargantuan

Thanks for posting this article Patrick!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 It's depressing that people actually defend that Bakhtanians scumbag.
Posted by NoelVeiga

@bluefoxxy said:

But lets cut the shit. There are PLENTY of streams gone up by Giant Bomb that include, "risque" and sexual annotations that could be EASILY defined as derogatory or sexually abusive. Yet there is no speak of this. No news stories. No apologies. Imagine for one minute that you brought on a key contributor to GB onto a live feed of anything and he spouted off something sexual towards babs or will or ANYONE. How fast would everyone acknowledge it and move on?

I'd love to see a link to one of those derogatory, sexually abusive Giant Bomb streams. I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head. Them joking about a game being sexist, sure. Them joking about rape or sex with female characters of people? Nope.