86 Comments
  • 86 results
Posted by Alex

Say what you will about how Disney Epic Mickey ultimately ended up, it was certainly a game that got people's attention. Disney stuff always seems to (unless you're talking about John Carter...*cough*), so it's no surprise that despite not-blockbuster sales of the first game, Disney would be eager to bring about a sequel. And, perhaps, one that exists on more platforms than just the Wii.

What, you make Oswald playable, and you don't even show him in the first screenshot? No respect.

Such a sequel hit the rumor mill just yesterday, and was confirmed today by an AP interview with Warren Spector, where the Junction Point studio head announced that Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two was in development, and would be available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii.

Two big changes were highlighted in the interview. One is a new co-op mode, which features both Mickey Mouse and Mickey predecessor Oswald the Lucky Rabbit as playable characters. Throughout the game, Oswald will either be controlled via A.I., or another player can simply pick up a controller and jump in at any point.

The other big change is voice acting. Both Mickey and Oswald will be fully-voiced, which is sort of a big deal since Oswald has never had a voice in any of the stuff he's appeared in previously. The voice acting is intended to give the game a bit more personality, as well as the opportunity for characters to just break out into song.

Said Spector:

"I'm such a geek about musicals," said Spector at the recent Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, where he was honored with a lifetime achievement award. "I love the co-op and next-gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic."

The game will feature original songs penned by songwriters Jim Dooley and Mike Himelstein, who wrote the music for the upcoming animated film Dorothy of Oz.

I'm maybe not quite the musical geek that our friend Warren is, but admittedly, Disney stuff without characters breaking out into song just doesn't feel quite right. Am I alone on this? Anyone not particularly thrilled to suddenly have a song in their hearts? Or does this sound like an exciting new direction for this sequel? Comments presented in song form are encouraged.

Staff
Posted by ErikSchroder

Sure, Jim Dooley can write score but can he write songs? I mean… Rachel Portman who is a great score composer managed to write terrible songs for the Beauty and the Beast sequel.

Get Alan Menken up in there, then we'll talk.

Edited by ArbitraryWater

Really? Warren Spector is making another Epic Mickey? It's kind of sad that this is somehow the fruition of the man who brought us Ultima Underworld, Thief and Deus Ex.

Edited by HeghmohQib

Wait, did I miss something? Isn't Oswald a Lucky Rabbit? Did he have some sort of animal-reassignment surgery?

Posted by SquirrelGOD

The first one had a lot of potential, but just fell a bit short. I'm really happy to see them take another crack at it!

Posted by HubrisRanger

Isn't it Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?

Posted by Amppelix

"Oswald the Lucky Duck"

Posted by GunslingerPanda

Much more interested in the rumoured 3DS version of the game. Wii games just aren't fun; they're too hampered by the forced motion controls.

But 3D Epic Mickey? Yes please! The musical angle will be a lot of fun too.

Posted by text

Lucky rabbit, not lucky duck. Still, the concept of turning this into a musical sounds like it could be kind of amazing if they do it sincerely.

Posted by Alex

@HeghmohQib: He's taking duck hormones. Or I just mistyped. Yeah, I just mistyped. Fixed now!

Staff
Posted by golddeathmonkey

don't own a wii but I'd love a chance to get some Epic Mickey up on my console (or PC)

Posted by deskp

Woo, could be interesting and new.

Posted by Hailinel

Fuck yeah.

Posted by Rising_ixa

isn't Oswald the Lucky Duck......a rabbit

Posted by bigsmoke77

One of my favorite bombcast moments is the " I found out she was fooling around on me so I gave her the epic mickey"

Posted by iAmJohn

Does anyone else remember the Nightmare Before Christmas game for PS2 and Xbox where the characters broke out in song and there was a singing minigame? Or the part in Kingdom Hearts II where you go to the Little Mermaid world and have to do the singing minigame there? Am I the only person who remembers how terrible these things were?

Posted by Winternet

Disney Epic Mickey: The Journey?

Posted by spankingaddict

I enjoyed Epic Mickey . I'll keep an eye on this one .

Posted by HeghmohQib

@Alex: Totally just made me think of the beginning of Howard the Duck. *shudder*

Posted by HubrisRanger
@Alex

@HeghmohQib: He's taking duck hormones. Or I just mistyped. Yeah, I just mistyped. Fixed now!

How the eff did you typo "rabbit" into "duck?"

Also, article still reads Duck for me, but I am on the Mobile site. Dunno if that makes a difference.
Posted by HubrisRanger

Just kidding, now it says rabbit.

Posted by Alex

@HubrisRanger: Lucky duck is an actual turn of phrase people use. My brain just confused the two things. That happens on particularly hectic days like this one.

Staff
Posted by TheYear20XX

I dunno, the last Disney-related game I played with singing didn't go so well.

Posted by Brashnir

I wasn't interested in Epic Mickey, but I'm sort of interested in this one, if only because it's a musical. I don't really like musicals, so much as I enjoy their trainwreck nature.

Posted by Phatmac

Disney Epic Mickey still sounds weird to me.

Posted by Lyfeforce

Alex, I'd do the comment in song, but I'm listening to G.G. Allin right now and it just wouldn't end well for anyone involved.

I'm alright with this development. It sounds right up the alley of a Disney product and any chance I get to enjoy Disney without feeling like I have to endure the overly saccharine moments is greatly appreciated.

Posted by Ravenlight

@Winternet said:

: The Reckoning

Posted by Landon

@Ravenlight said:

@Winternet said:

: Origins

Posted by 49th

I wish Epic Mickey One was a better game.

I was going to play it, but it looked kinda lame.

Now I hear Epic Mickey Two is a musical,

that really does not sound very cool.

I tried to make this comment into a song,

but it became more like a poem.

Posted by katsu044

@Landon said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Winternet said:

:Alive

Posted by Cybexx

I own the first game but Ryan's review prevented me from going too far into it. Maybe I should actually go finish that one of these days. Oh and I'm totally pro-musical.

Posted by DeF

@Hailinel said:

Fuck yeah.

I'm down with this!

Posted by fluxbit

The only video game character I want to hear sing is Mordin.

Posted by JackSukeru

I hope it turns out more interesting than that other Mickey game I didn't play.

Posted by TheHT

I'd play a musical, sure. Musicals are fun.

Posted by kurtbro900

epic mickey sold 2.5 million copies. I'd say that's a lot for a bad game.

Posted by Goldanas

What's wrong with having it be a musical,

Posted by Goldanas

@katsu044 said:

@Landon said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Winternet said:

: The Musical

Posted by Clumpy

Spector seems pretty insincere whenever he talks about the "magic" of Disney.

Edited by Jensonb

The only odd needed in response to this is "Yes".

As in "Yes Disney, you can have my money now."

Posted by Romination

@Goldanas said:

What's wrong with having it be a musical,

Agreed, these changes actually have me excited. Since Epic Mickey wasn't good, perhaps adding the abject silliness of musical numbers and voices (a huge oversight before) will make the game more forgivable.

Posted by RichieJohn

Never finished it but I loved what I played of Epic Mickey. I'd buy this no question.

Posted by Winternet

@Goldanas said:

@katsu044 said:

@Landon said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Winternet said:

: The Musical

tag em and bag em

Posted by Butano

Still waiting for Spector's Ducktales.

Posted by huser

@kurtbro900 said:

epic mickey sold 2.5 million copies. I'd say that's a lot for a bad game.

Seriously, that's 2/3rds what say the first Mass Effect did just as an example.

Posted by murse2008

Can the singing be controlled? That would be neat. Just watching a cut-scene of the characters singing, not so sure of that.

Posted by Peanut

They did the smartest thing possible - made it available for other platforms.

Posted by ThePhantomStranger

@iAmJohn said:

Does anyone else remember the Nightmare Before Christmas game for PS2 and Xbox where the characters broke out in song and there was a singing minigame? Or the part in Kingdom Hearts II where you go to the Little Mermaid world and have to do the singing minigame there? Am I the only person who remembers how terrible these things were?

I remember, you are not alone.

Also I'm just going to garner a cynical guess and say that this game comes out by the time that all three of those consoles are outdated...

inb4dudesyaysthattheyalreadyare

Posted by WinterSnowblind

Epic Mickey had flaws, but most of them were 100% because of the Wii. (bad camera controls, small environments, etc) and if you're a Disney fan, there was really a lot to love. I'm pretty excited about this one.

Posted by spartan1017

I liked the first Epic Mickey. Look forward to this one.

• 86 results