163 Comments
  • 163 results
Posted by itsVASH

When's the next one?

Posted by DallasTheGamer

I freakin' love jars.

Posted by SupberUber

I want to dig deeper into Jeff Gerstmann. Do I have to pay extra for that?

Posted by Ethan_Raiden

if you wanna talk about anything jeff im here for you bro

Posted by plainplease

Would the Color for Facebook app work for streaming the E3 drive?

Edited by Undeadpool

The internet is one of the biggest echo-chambers I've ever seen, unfortunately. Since we are, in general, enthusiasts, we often lose sight of the fact that we are a VAST minority in terms of consumers. And I fully agree with his follow-up, and I've said it before: BEGRUDGING DOLLARS ARE STILL DOLLARS. Muttering "I can't believe I'm buying this" doesn't somehow negate the sale.

Edit: And I do love the martyr complex of a couple of these..."Why are Microsoft/Sony ignoring international users?" "I assume nobody cares about site issues." Holy crap, folks...actually there's no need to go on, Jeff pretty well covered it.

Posted by Gizmo

I have a feeling Fable 4 will be announced at E3.

Posted by chocolaterhinovampire

So many Jars

Posted by BonOrbitz

@Jeff: Hang in there Jeff. In the early 'aughts I almost lost my father to a rare kidney disease. I didn't get along with the guy but what happened during that time brought my immediate family closer together and things are great now. Good luck to you and yours.

Why is the song that played when he got a message so familiar? Where is that from?!

Posted by Belialjtg87

@LegendaryChop

Posted by Belialjtg87

@murisan: I would suggest a malibal(this is who I bought from) or avadirect or sager for a high end laptop. It will be portable in the sense that it's a foldable desktop, also absolutely nothing I didn't want on it and every time I called to place the order or to correspond to the company I got the same guy, it was a great buying experience..... My own rig specs are as follows:

Clevo X7200 chasse

intel i7 960 quad-core 3.2GHz

Dual NVidia Geforce GTX 485M SLI - 4GB total Vid RAM

18in. glossy screen

12GB RAM

300GB Intel SSD

This chasse has slots for two more hard drives and is large enough you can take the bottom panel off and modify all your self instead of sending it in for upgrades. Also, it's large enough for a full size CPU vs. mobile CPU. Gets hot enough to melt the skin off your thighs, and has NO battery life, but once again it not meant for portability really. I have yet to come across anything I can't run, and all with highest settings at acceptable frame rates. I hope this helps 8).

Posted by theimmortalbum

Jeff Gerstmann - I can definitely say that I don't mind you talking about personal stuff.. things like that are tough, and as others have said, I come here for the people. Late coverage on the site doesn't bother me one bit, especially when real life is happening.. because honestly, that's the more important thing.

Posted by Mathey

@Jeff - my dad went through a series of surgeries over a medical scare earlier this year and it was one of the most exhausting periods in my life. Dealing with all the doubt and uncertainty over it was so damn draining - seeing my dad that weak was terrible - and hospitals aren't my favorite place to visit anyways. For what it's worth, aside from playing dumb games on my Ipod touch, listening to and watching Giant Bomb content really helped me make it through the whole ordeal with most of my sanity intact.

Best wishes to you and yours, and thanks for the site!

Posted by ArbitraryWater

I use an Alienware Laptop, and that's admittedly because I am at college and I conned my parents into it with the statement "It's cheaper than a Macbook". Obviously, if someone isn't in my situation or a situation where one is always on-the-go but still wants to play PC games, I would have trouble understanding it.

Posted by murisan

So, can someone recommend a "gaming laptop" that doesn't have a bunch of bloatware? No Dells, please. My M4400 is a piece of shit.

Posted by gsGaret

@Undeadpool: This is true I like my gaming laptop but the only reason I have it is because my job has me living out of a suit case and I really like games so I relented, unless you are always taking your gaming computer with you, you shouldn't need a gaming laptop they are bulky for a notebook and expensive for a gaming rig

Posted by Undeadpool

@Matoyak said:

@LegendaryChopChop said:

I agree with Jeff. Gaming laptops are pretty stupid, sorry this is how I feel.

I respect your opinion, but I'm kinda curious as to why? If you don't mind me asking?

I know I'm not the OP, but I owned a gaming laptop and there are a few base-level reasons: gaming systems are already TITANICALLY cost-prohibitive, but throw all that on top of the fact that laptop parts are more expensive by default, and the cost skyrockets. Beyond that: there's really no point to it besides taking it on vacation. PC games don't really lend themselves to public-transit commutes and most gaming laptops are too large/unwieldy to be comfortably played in such a setting. They also tend toward obsolescence even faster.

Posted by Landmine

As has been said many times over in the comments here, we do care and don't mind hearing about the personal stuff. It's more of a question of how comfortable you are putting it out there.

I honestly don't come to Giantbomb looking for day and date reviews, or hard hitting news. I've been here since day one for the personalities and the community.

Posted by Matoyak

@LegendaryChopChop said:

I respect your opinion, but I'm kinda curious as to why? If you don't mind me asking?

Posted by Shensai

We want to know Jeff. We care

Posted by Ghostiet

Jeff has weird fucking ears.

That had to be said.

Posted by BasketSnake

Six arcade machines isn't crazy. You guys should get sixteen Atari Lynx and hook them up for multiplayer.

Posted by WickedCobra03

First, Jeff, good luck with you, your dad and family during this time. Sure, you don't have to go into the details, but its not terrible hearing a 2 minute little update every once and again, it makes you human man. Don't worry about it.

About DLC, me personally, I have dropped off a ton since last gen. I mean I was buying expansion packs for pc games, and hell, even for some xbox games (halo 2 map pack and Doom 3 Resurrection or whatever that was called), but this gen, I bought Shadow Broker, a the Halo 3 maps that came on the ODST game (so dunno if that counts), 1 Halo Reach map pack for 50% off, and that is really about it. I have been burned in the past by DRM basically with games, and even content like the original xbox stuff that was taken down that has really kept me from buying into it more as a concept. Basically at this point, I really only trust GoG and to a lesser degree, but still for the most part, Steam with my digital content. Everything else could be gone tomorrow and there is no way I can play that later. And I am one of those people who will take an old game out 5 years later and want to play it again. And if companies want to just take stuff offline, you have no recourse because basically now they are telling you that you "buying" a game is a long term rental.

And now EA has talked themselves into circles about why Online Passes exist, at one time its for server costs, another its to combat used games, all the while they are taking down games that are 18 months old, or selling online passes in bulk to gamestop. I mean isn't that not more than enough reason to be leery of all of this? Basically they want more money...end of story. They should just say that rather than putting up all these BS fronts.

Posted by CaLe

I didn't even notice this video dammit. Premium videos need to stick out more!

Posted by McQuinn

I have no clue how Jeff is still single.

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

Posted by Matoyak

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

@Brendan said:

@Giantstalker said:

Jeff Gerstmann: Totally clueless about gaming laptops since 2012. Not even going to try to explain, it should be obvious.

LAN parties? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

In the past 5 years I've moved back and forth from the U.S. and different locations in Europe several times. (7 times maybe?) When you travel a lot, it's really the best method. Not to mention that if you go through the right channels on Steam, you can download English language games anywhere in the world. So that's nice.

Alienware is crap, though. I still can't believe people overpay for that crap.

Got a refurb Asus gaming laptop for 650 two years ago. Can run Witcher 2 at Medium settings, and Skyrim on Ultra, so there's a huge catalog of recent games that will run on it fine.. Gaming laptops are a viable thing, surprisingly good for the price, especially for the student that has to lug it between home, dorm, uni, etc. Was weird to hear Jeff so casually toss the idea away.

Posted by HoM3R

anticlimactic ending :( should have ended with:

"What makes a good Mortal Kombat character?"

"ME PLAYING IT, BOOM!!!, IM OUT!!"

Edited by Viking_Funeral

@Brendan said:

@Giantstalker said:

Jeff Gerstmann: Totally clueless about gaming laptops since 2012. Not even going to try to explain, it should be obvious.

In the past 5 years I've moved back and forth from the U.S. and different locations in Europe several times. (7 times maybe?) When you travel a lot, it's really the best method. Not to mention that if you go through the right channels on Steam, you can download English language games anywhere in the world. So that's nice.

Alienware is crap, though. I still can't believe people overpay for that crap.

Posted by VinSanity
Edited by HerbieBug

You just need to rent out a warehouse and make a home for your arcade machines. It's already happening. You are already part of the trade. You know a guy who knows a guy who has a line on a clean full size Virtual On machine and you will buy it and you will put it in your warehouse where it will sit unplugged and untouched until a a guy who knows a guy who knows you gives you a call one day and says "I'll give you 350 + my four year old golden retriever for it" and you will say "... maybe".

And that's how it will go.

Posted by murisan

Just wanted to say.. hope things continue to look up. Pretty sure that everyone who watches these jar videos are willing to hear anything you feel like saying. Sorry for being part of the bitch brigade regarding the new player and all.. kinda makes me feel like a shithead.

Well wishes to you and your family.

Posted by AndrewBeardsley

@hardindr said:

All kidding aside I hope you and your family are well.

agreed

Edited by mythus

On disc DLC is shady as fuck, and I have stopped buying into Capcom's shit. Yet, i agree, those people should just stop complaining. I think people who are disingenuous, and feel fucked afterwards, deserves every pinch of salt. Yet, those who are unaware or are still faithful to the brand, still have the right to frown. The capcom team have great developers, yet they have become this unity that stands, and with no choice, to malpractice by people who know only of business and nothing of generosity for the community it caters to.

Posted by bunji

I'm envious of that pillow sausage in the back ground.

Posted by kurtbro900

Jeff's comments about the last guardian not having enough US fans confuses me. Shadow of the colossus sold 5x better in the US than in Japan and was a greatest hits seller.

Posted by ADAMWD

Is it just me or does Jeff's left ear lobe look swollen?

Posted by Giantstalker

@bananas:

It's for people who move a lot, or travel a lot, and enjoy games. You can't bring a TV around, or one might not even be available, so a console is out of the question too. Handhelds don't offer games that interest these people (like myself). There a lot of people who live more of a "transient" lifestyle - I'm in the military, and constantly move around or get deployed places, and still like to play PC games. And additionally, it can do (almost) anything a desktop can do, making it useful outside of gaming as well. I think gaming-grade laptops, although large and expensive, are great for people like me.

I'm not trying to insult anybody's intelligence here, but it just seemed pretty obvious to me.

Posted by bananas

@Giantstalker: Well, it's not, so you might as well explain it.

Posted by Fungiefips

@Brendan said:

@Giantstalker said:

Or college I guess. Nice to save some desk space instead of bringing a desktop to a dorm situation.

Posted by Brendan

@Giantstalker said:

Posted by Draxyle

Thanks again for the great feature Jeff! All the talk about E3 made this entry particularly interesting.

It really stinks that we've been forced to argue about this whole DLC nonsense in the first place. I totally get Jeff's stance on it, but it all still sucks that a lot of franchises are getting dragged down with it. I've definitely done my part though and avoided games where there were clear violations of ethics (everything they've done with Dragon Age, The Sims, and Mass Effect, for example. no more EA games, ever, for me).

Just from a business perspective, we really should be getting a release day price cut off of games that use it extensively on day one. Portal 2 may have released with loads of cosmetic day one DLC, but you could still buy it for 50 dollars or less on PC release (and it's on sale for super cheap, super often). Freemium is perfectly okay with me for that reason too, at least we're getting a great deal out of the matter. It's all in how it's done.

Posted by Giantstalker

Posted by Itwastuesday

@Ithmoliar said:

We've got Netflix on the 360 and PS3 in the UK now. The library kinda sucks though.

Sounds like Netflix to me!

Posted by Maajin

@Orange_Pork said:

What is that ringtone song from? Was that Outrun?

That's Space Harrier!

Posted by Ithmoliar

We've got Netflix on the 360 and PS3 in the UK now. The library kinda sucks though.

Posted by kalakov

Just Resubscribed to get my jar fix...

Posted by MeatSim

Now that's some real waffle talk.

Posted by MachoFantastico

Love me some JAR TIME!  

Hope you and your family are well Jeff, family is more importantly then video games after all. 

Posted by Cloudenvy

@Milkman said:

"Does Anime Vice still exist?" Really the question we're all wondering.

Has it ever really existed? I'm not quite sure.

• 163 results