124 Comments
  • 124 results
Posted by laserbolts

Jesus you have alot of time on your hands. Cool that you did this though.

Posted by Guided_By_Tigers

Marino just dropped a giant bomb.

Posted by GorillaMoPena

We really count NBA Elite 11?

That game never actually came out

Posted by ReyGitano

8 people have collected every item in Dead or Alive Xtreme 2

These people must be hunted down and put on trial. Jude Luchadeer will preside.

Edited by louiedog

Very cool stuff. I assume most people, like myself, played Fable Pub Games for free.

@GorillaMoPena said:

We really count NBA Elite 11?

That game never actually came out

It was canceled so late that it was probably in the achievements system. That's probably enough. I wonder how many people have any unlocked.

Posted by DarthOrange

Holy shit this is impressive. How long did it take for you to gather all data?

Posted by Marino

@DarthOrange said:

Holy shit this is impressive. How long did it take for you to gather all data?

I've been working on it for a while. I used xbox360achievements.com to compile a list of all the games. Then, last week, I spent time over three days gathering the actual data. I wanted to do that part quickly for accuracy. If I had gathered some data last month, then some this week, I didn't feel that would be fair. Once I had all the data, I just started putting together lists.

Staff
Posted by Jeff

I suspect the NBA Elite 11 achievements have been completely disabled on the server side. We pulled them in during a very short window when you could find them on a couple of accounts used for title certification. I bet if you put it in right now it disconnects you from Xbox Live, and once you reconnect, it probably sees the game's title ID as invalid, preventing it from even staying on your profile. I'd guess that the only way to earn and keep those points would be to play it on an offline profile.

Staff
Posted by Ramone

So many stats! This is fan-fucking-tastic, good job.

Posted by Captain_Insano

Great post. Riveting for some reason.

Posted by Daveyo520

You crazy magnificent bastard.

Posted by natetodamax

Awesome stuff duder!

Posted by GorillaMoPena

@Jeff said:

I suspect the NBA Elite 11 achievements have been completely disabled on the server side. We pulled them in during a very short window when you could find them on a couple of accounts used for title certification. I bet if you put it in right now it disconnects you from Xbox Live, and once you reconnect, it probably sees the game's title ID as invalid, preventing it from even staying on your profile. I'd guess that the only way to earn and keep those points would be to play it on an offline profile.

This has to be the case, on other achievement sites the whole game page seems to be a dead link. Many of them are online achievements I believe too, so then we are getting into offline profiles and hacking I guess. I feel like I should have kept the demo on my harddrive for historical purposes.

Posted by Pop

That's pretty insane man, I keep forgetting Call of Duty 2 was a launch title, I don't know why I find it weird. I don't own an xbox360 but I still find this amazing, achievements are incredible.

Posted by Fattony12000

Metagaming.

Posted by CptChiken

Wow you have alot of spare time!

Also do americans REALLY not know what snooker is?!

Posted by FinalDasa

What a writeup! A lot of interesting stuff in there. And btw, I was one of those who beat Mass Effect 3 without Javik. It was my roommate's game and I played it first so I didn't want to take the download from him, or the online pass.

Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff

This is fascinating. Great work!

Posted by Marino

@CptChiken said:

Wow you have alot of spare time!

Also do americans REALLY not know what snooker is?!

I actually do, but I doubt many would. I've never seen it on TV here, and I watch a lot of ESPN's half a dozen different channels.

Staff
Posted by Phatmac

I love me some stats!

Edited by ADAMWD

It's interesting how players per game has decreased each year since 2007.

• 2005: 117,265
  • 2006: 163,214
  • 2007: 220,900
  • 2008: 204,394
  • 2009: 180,212
  • 2010: 167,200
  • 2011: 91,605
  • 2012: 33,732 (Through 5 months)

Obviously the spike from 2005 to 2007 is due to the spike in GB users as the site gained popularity. But since then, total players for the top 10 played games has dropped, on average, by 25,859 players per year. Now this means one of two things. Either GB has been losing active years each year, or the more likely scenario, users are playing less "AAA" games. Why this is the case isn't exactly clear, as the quality of games hasn't gone down. 2011's top 10 featured game such as, Skyrim, Gears 3, MW3, SR3, Arkham City, Bastion, LA Noire, and Portal 2, all critically acclaimed games, and mostly sequels to wildly popular franchises.

After typing all this up, I think the most likely answer is the rise of indie games. Over the same time frame that player totals for the "top tier" games has gone down, we've seen a greater variety of genre releases and many indie games being put out through Steam, XBLA, and PSN. This also coincides with the sentiment that downloadable games are getting better and better each year.

Posted by RecSpec

Quite surprised that Avatar isn't #1 on the most completed list.

Posted by icytower38

Oh the stats... the stats

This is some interesting/great/and slightly crazy work you have done.

Posted by Daveyo520

Wait for the year stuff those are the total number of players of all time to play those games that came out each year. Is there any way to find out how many played them in only that year? They do list when you got an achievement but is that compiled?

Posted by bobafettjm

Amazing post. I am a little ashamed at how many of the "least played" games I have played. I would also love to get my hands on a copy of NBA Elite 11.

Posted by Marino

@Daveyo520 said:

Wait for the year stuff those are the total number of players of all time to play those games that came out each year. Is there any way to find out how many played them in only that year? They do list when you got an achievement but is that compiled?

While technically possible, that would require going to each individual user's page for each achievement on each game. So...definitely not feasible.

Staff
Posted by Daveyo520

@Marino: Ya that is way too much work.

Posted by Little_Socrates

@ADAMWD: The first half of your assumption is incorrect; Giant Bomb was formed in 2008. The adoption rate of the Xbox 360 simply reached its peak in 2007, after Oblivion and Gears of War had been out for a year and Halo 3, BioShock, and Mass Effect had shipped.

~

The falloff can partially be attributed to the indie scene, but I would also happily attribute the rise of the PlayStation 3 in 2008 (with Uncharted having been out for a year, and Metal Gear Solid 4 selling many systems) and 2009 (with 2009 being the first year many people, including our own Brad Shoemaker, felt comfortable recommending a PS3 to someone making a console purchase based on games like Uncharted 2, flower, and Demon's Souls) and the Steam platform.

Essentially, until 2008, there were really only two rather solid games markets; the triple-A titles on the Xbox 360 and the Wii. The PS3 was very limited in interesting exclusive software until at least 2008. The rise of the indie game and downloadable title certainly happened in the wake of Castle Crashers and Braid, both 2008 titles. And, lastly, the PC was considered largely to be an MMO wasteland by most consumers until the Steam marketplace began to really sell titles in late 2007, added Steamworks and Steam Community in 2008, and then add Matchmaking and Steam Cloud in 2009.

Posted by Demoskinos

Man, does anyone remember the crazy that was the DOA 4 launch? I went to the gamestop on the day of when they opened and the guys working didn't even know if the game was coming out that day. It was nuts like everyone was "kinda" sure it was being released but the date had been bumped around so much that nobody was 100% sure.

Posted by sins_of_mosin

Didn't I see something like this some months ago?

Posted by Marino

@ADAMWD: Those annual stats are only based upon what year the game came out in, not when the user obtained the achievement. Whether users are active doesn't really make much difference. Even if the site's active user base had decreased over the last couple years, which I highly doubt, those inactive users still have their account linked to their GamerTag (unless they took the time to un-sync it). So, even if a user isn't around as much (or at all), the site is most likely still tracking their achievement activity.

Staff
Edited by Tom_Shaw

@ADAMWD said:

Now this means one of two things. Either GB has been losing active years each year, or the more likely scenario, users are playing less "AAA" games.

Option three: GB users are disproportionately more hardcore to migrate to Steam, dropping off Xbox achievement lists.

Option four: GB users are disproportionately more likely to purchase and then split time between Xbox and PS3, 'losing' achievements to trophies.

Option five: Sequel fatigue. Are you really missing much if you skip Halo Anniversary or Assassin's Creed 2-3?

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of it is fact Option 1 flavored with Option 5 (while I have more disposable income than ever, I have less time and interest in yet another same engine sequel waiting for the next console cycle), mixed with some Option 3 (After a decade without, I put together a gaming PC for my brother last week, and that night he was hitting Steam for heavily discounted 2011 releases).

Posted by Marino

@sins_of_mosin said:

Didn't I see something like this some months ago?

As I stated in the second paragraph, I did a post about 2011 games at the end of last year. I've done probably seven or eight statistics-based blogs like this covering different things.

Staff
Posted by Demoskinos

I'd be interested in what the single most gotten and least (actually obtainable) achievements are.

Posted by joshthebear
@Marino Holy shit duder that is impressive.
Posted by ADAMWD

@Little_Socrates: Man, I have no idea why in the hell I was thinking Giant Bomb launched in 2005. PS3 didn't even cross my mind since I only play on 360/PC and there aren't any PS3 exclusives in the top 10 from 2008-2011 to remind me. Thanks, for pointing out my inaccuracies.

Posted by ADAMWD

@Marino: Ohhh, so it's top 10 games played in 2011 not from 2011. That changes a lot.

Posted by Marino
@Demoskinos There are countless ones that no one's obtained on a lot of those least played games.
Staff
Posted by Marino
@ADAMWD

@Marino: Ohhh, so it's top 10 games played in 2011 not from 2011. That changes a lot.

Uhh...no. It's the most players of the games that were released that year. Whether someone first played Kameo on Nov 22, 2005 or they first played it yesterday doesn't matter. Both are included in the total on the 2005 list.
Staff
Posted by mracoon

I think the best way to describe my thoughts on this is through altered song lyrics:

Hey, I just saw this,
And these stats are crazy,
Look at all those numbers,
People like achievements, maybe?

Posted by Demoskinos

@Marino: Yeah, it would probably be hard to quantify.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

I'm amazed 8 people have gotten every item in DOAX2. That would take a insane amount of time playing that game.

Posted by Natedogg2

Oooo, numbers. I love numbers. Thanks for the stats.

Posted by datarez

Fantastic work good sir. I love this amount of achievement detail. I have played all but 8 of the top 50 and have played zero from any of the least played lists.

Posted by MocBucket62

Laughing my ass off that Backyard Sports beats Mass Effect 2 in average achievements! I actually loved playing those games when I was really young, but judging from the cover, I think they took major liberties redesigning the characters, just saying.

Posted by Vinny_Says

@Marino: what's with the significant drop in top 10 most played between 2010 and 2011? Otherwise this is very impressive.

Posted by WJist

This is why I miss those pie charts :/

I wonder what the average GB user's individual gamer score is. For me, at least, it isn't as much about the raw number but the achievements that got me there (beating XBLA Contra over a super-laggy connection with a rando is a personal triumph).

Posted by PeasantAbuse

Awesome, thanks for doing this.

Posted by selbie

@mracoon said:

I think the best way to describe my thoughts on this is through altered song lyrics: Hey, I just saw this,And these stats are crazy, Look at all those numbers, People like achievements, maybe?

Summer jam, confirmed.

• 124 results