215 Comments
Posted by GunstarRed

Theres probably a whole blog in this or something, but this game is so incredibly annoying. I have played a ton of Generations for the 360, 3DS and colours DS and Wii over the past week or so./ It feels like a game farmed out with the only instruction being "MAKE IT LIKE THE OLD GAMES". I don't know if Dimps who worked on eps 1, 2 and the 3DS generations are to blame, but there is a theme that runs between the three. awful, awful level design full of moments that bring you to a halt or cheap deaths from out of nowhere. There is often a lot of "how come I made that jump this time when I died doing the exact same thing the last four?" moments.

There is a reason why people keep saying Colours, Generations, Colours, Generations. Colours, fucking Generations!!!! (possibly with less U)over and over and that is because those games are good. They do a brilliant job of fooling you into thinking you are playing old sonic when you are playing something slightly different. The speed at which you go and the slower platforming sections either kept to a minimum or paced so you have to move quick. There's a certain reckless skillfulness required to go through those games. Kinda like Ryan beating the stage brad got stuck on in trials. Those games work on a "fuck it ,GO!" kind of thing, it is perfect because the sense of speed is exhilarating. You know what? the 3D stages in those games are fucking awesome... and that is coming from someone that thinks adventure etc are shit.

This game is the worst parts of Sonic, a massive step backwards, The speed gone, the bad level design, the "how the fuck did I do that and survive" moments replaced with "fuck there's a gap, I guess i should fly over it sloooooooowly with tails" seriously, this just isn't what people wanted and the worst thing is the music , one of the strongest things in almost any sonic game (and that goes for even the shit ones) is the music and the music in ep 1 was awful, but this is just lazy, lazy shit. so fucking infuriating, I just don't understand why Sega would take such a massive step back considering the love the past two retail games have gotten.

Posted by Brisaac

JUMP IN THE RING GOD DAMMIT

Posted by RecSpec
Posted by Dohers

The art style in this game is just horrible.

Posted by CurtMan2k7

if you have both Episode 1 and 2 you unlock the Metal Sonic cartridge similar to the stackable Knuckles cartridge back in the day of the genesis

Posted by Spitznock

The thing that killed me about Episode 1 was the damned homing attack. If only I had counted the number of times I took a hit because the recoil on the homing attack sent me careening into an enemy or spikes or down a chasm. The homing attack is completely unnecessary in a side-scrolling Sonic game.

The sense of speed was nice, but if you think back, the classic side-scrolling Sonic games weren't THAT fast. There were sections of speed (usually going down steep declines or loops while doing the spin dash), but what troubles me the most about how Sonic 4 plays is that there are so many sections in which you're not pressing a direction at all; you're simply homing attacking over and over. It's boring and unengaging.

The physics on jumping felt horrid as well. You shouldn't stop on a dime in mid-air simply because you released a direction.

It looks like there are at least a couple new environments in Episode 2. The BIGGEST problem I had with Episode 1 is that they were trying to hit the nostalgia button too much. The game was called Sonic 4- not Sonic 2 HD.

Sonic Generations' classic Sonic levels were the best Sonic Team has done in as much time as I can remember. Sonic 4 just isn't the same. It looks slightly prettier, and runs smoother, but it isn't how I remember Sonic, and isn't what I want from a modern side-scrolling Sonic game.

Posted by flanker22

patrick: i dont like how the camera is so close

sonic4: next level camera zooms out.

Patrick always speaking shit before knowing all the details. Now that's "pulling a Patrick"!

Posted by soralapio

God damn what a piece of shit.

But hey, a bad Sonic game? WHO COULD'VE SEEN THAT COMING?

Edited by AxleBro

no seriously, why did some people like episode 1, i played the demo, the movement feels beyond shitty to me, it takes so long to pick up any speed, and when you do his legs don't match his speed. it was so very bad.

this still doesn't look good. sorry sonic fans, i guess i'm "too filled with nostalgia to appreciate the new great games" or whatever you all say.

... i played sonic 2 a few months ago and that's still a pretty cool game. so is the first GBA game... i dunno man.

Posted by GunstarRed

@Spitznock: I Disagree that the 2D levels in generations are the best thing about that game with possibly Crisis City being an exception. i think the 3D levels are just glorious in that game. I can't think of another game that feels so good when going at such great speeds, but y'know personal preferences and all that.

You are 100% right about the homing attack for 2D Sonic though, theres a very good reason that in Generations the homing attack is an added optional bonus for classic sonic as the spin dash is so incredibly cool. the spin dash in ep 2 is sooooooooooo slow though.

Posted by MocBucket62

I actually really enjoyed Generations when I tried it out, but this looks pretty bad. And what's up with Sega charging these episodes for $15? Are they that desperate nowadays?

Posted by TehJedicake

Fucking hate Sonic.

Posted by MormonWarrior

Hey guys, Aero the Acro-Bat 2 is pretty decent. The first one's not very good though, I'll give you that.

Posted by LiquidSwords

@flanker22 said:

Patrick always speaking shit before knowing all the details. Now that's "pulling a Patrick"!

Not everyone can see the future dumb shit.

Posted by spiceninja

Sonic never exhales. Sonic just keeps inhaling those bubbles. Sonic is demon spawn.

Edited by Nemesis2K

All the music in this game is trash. That special stage song was the worst. The music is all so cheap and nasty, it hurts. The Music in the original sonic games were fantastic.

Edited by Goblin

Sonic the Hedgehog for the Master System is the only Sonic game I've ever really enjoyed (unless you count Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, of course). Because the lack of "blast processing" and "speed" made it a decent 8-bit platformer.

Posted by Bombzinski

Shit! Sonic failed!

Posted by yinstarrunner

This looks way, way better than Episode 1 did (I haven't played either)

Posted by DJJoeJoe

@LiquidSwords said:

@flanker22 said:

Not everyone can see the future dumb shit.

Also, I didn't even notice it zoom out as it still looked shitty. You never see stuff coming and it looks like one of the most frustrating games out there still.

Posted by Bombzinski

I just played Sonic CD last month and it was much better than this in every regard.

Posted by ThePilgrums

@madnesshero88 said:

Kinda sad the best sonic game of the last ten years was an rpg.

Sonic Chronicles was not a good game. Sonic Generations is. So no, I don't agree with this statement.

Also, Patrick, I think you don't remember what Generations looked like or we have vastly different opinions on what makes a good looking game. The art direction is my biggest complaint with this game. It looks bland and awful.

...And how does a child of the 90s not know Tails' last name?

Posted by Phished0ne

....I cant help it.. Sonic 4 triggers the pleasure centers in my brain. The music, the art, the level designs...everything..

Posted by Taku128

Sonic Generations was great, but this looks terrible.

Posted by Insectecutor

They addressed this a little in the video, but Sonic is flawed at the core. It's fun when it moves fast, but when it moves fast you're a passenger - it's out of your hands. You can't see anything ahead and they can't tilt or pull back the camera or use depth because that would defeat the sense of speed.

You're only ever really in control during the slow sections, which are extra slow to make the fast sections more rewarding. So it's boring when you're in control and exciting when you're not. What kind of gameplay experience is that? Out-of-control fast sections would be fine if Sonic had the agility, playfulness and mechanical diversity to support the parts where you're in control (like Rayman Origins, for example), but I don't think Sonic Team have ever really got that balance right.

Posted by CrashTanuki

I wish I could go back in time and make sure that Sonic Adventure never happened to see if the series would have been saved by that move or died more quickly.

Posted by takua108

Dude whatever, this doesn't look horrible. This doesn't look like a great Sonic game necessarily, but it doesn't look that bad.

Posted by Bats

Damn, game looks real good, and Patrick is awful at it, and him and Ryan are too busy bitching to notice it's good. Ah well. I will definitely be picking this one up. It's giving me serious Sonic 2 vibes.

Posted by Scrawnto

@Foot369 said:

Patrick sounds different

He mentioned in the worth reading article last Friday that he was coming down with a cold. Guess it hasn't gone away yet.

Posted by wariomona

I don't understand Ryan's taste in Sonic games. He says that the Megadrive games were the best ones, but then goes on to say that Sonic games are better when they're speedy without much platforming (which is EXACTLY what the newer games are like)

Posted by mrcraggle

Tricky is definitely right about the camera being too close but that's been a problem with Sonic since the first game. The game wants you to go fast but with the camera being as close as it is, it is often very difficult to see what's in front of you and that will result in you being hit. That said, I think a lot of people, especially Ryan, misremember older Sonic games. Go back to the first Sonic game and play stage 2, you're barely going fast at all. For a large chuck of that stage you have to time your jumps, wait for platforms etc.

I haven't played a proper Sonic game in quite some time and I don't really intend to play this. This plays on people's nostaligia they had for Sonic when they were younger rather. I believe that there's no outstanding 3D Sonic game and Sonic hasn't made the jump from 2D to 3D in the same way Mario made. Sega need to give Sonic up now, he was and always will be a character for the 90's.

Posted by Zamir
Posted by fox01313

Well it looks like yet another sonic game that might disappoint the few fans of the series that are left, but for those that shell out the $15 for it & enjoy it then have fun with it. To me it seems like another genesis franchise that has fewer & fewer fans of the series and should be phased out for other genesis games that might have a better time with a better sequel to them.

Posted by WinterSnowblind

They badly need to give the series to a new developer, Dimps have never been particularly good developers, all of their Sonic games have been terrible and there's been no sign of improvement.

What annoys me most is that this is supposed to be Sonic 4, yet it looks more like a "best of collection". A poor fan made one at that. Give the series to a competent studio, and let them do something new with it.

Posted by JustinAquarius

Why does this game move so slowly? Sonic seems to move like he's got molasses on his shoes.

Posted by Brackynews

Watching this QL just made me play Phantasy Star II. I'm fine with that.

Posted by EuanDewar

It's amazing how much I hate this series.

Posted by sickVisionz

I guess there are two ways of playing Sonic: 1) trying to get through the game as quick as possible and 2) trying to get as many rings as possible. They way they breeze through everything and avoid any opportunity to explore and pass up rings left and right makes me think everyone at GB falls into camp 1, which makes my camp 2 ass cringe at every quick look for a Sonic game.

There's more depth and exploration than GB gives the series credit for. It's kinda unfair to describe it as speed only when you actively avoid every other facet of the game and pretend like it isn't there.

Plus, wtf?!??!? You didn't jump through the ring at the end of the level! Ryan should have taken the controller from Patrick at that point. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

Posted by wfolse1

@wariomona said:

I don't understand Ryan's taste in Sonic games. He says that the Megadrive games were the best ones, but then goes on to say that Sonic games are better when they're speedy without much platforming (which is EXACTLY what the newer games are like)

That's because it's really just a cliche that game writers tend to fall back on. I don't think he is really thinking about that statement, merely regurgitating. Those early Sonic games had PLENTY of slower moments.

Posted by nail1080

@wariomona said:

This!

It all just seems like bitching for the sake of bitching from someone who probably was never any good at a Sonic game or even played one to completion.

Posted by Forcen

Get generations instead, its damn good if you like sonic.

Posted by YetiAntics

@ninkendo: DAT ENEMY PLACEMENT

Posted by Oldirtybearon

... the secret to Sonic has been and will always be "Spindash Motherfucker."

Wanna go super fast and not get hit by enemies and lose all your rings? Spindash.

Spindash.

Edited by csl316

There have been some decent Sonic games in recent years. Hating on it just seems like the thing to do.

Again, people seem to completely misremember what the original Sonic games were like. All about the speed? Simple platforming? Umm...

Posted by thepotatoman

I love a lot of the sonic games and feel generations was great. It can be annoying to hear so many people be so dismissive of it because of a couple of truly horrible games, or the mario high expectations, or the super cheesy dialog and characters. But I just truly like platformers, and I really enjoy the sonic style of level design and enemy combat design. That right there is enough to look past the things like the horrible characterizations. It probably helps that there aren't very many platformers to choose from, but I'd even say I enjoyed Sonic Generations actiony speed and multiple paths per level far more than Patrick's favorite Rayman Origins which I found too slow, linear, and easy for my tastes.

I don't know if Sonic 4 episode 2 is good or not, but I think people need to stop over thinking about what sonic should be and just talk about what it is. Its at the point where if you still hate the games, maybe try to complain about exact things that you don't like about that game in particular, or compare to Rayman Origins or Mario instead since it seems like its unsolvable issue if you start getting into whether the old games were good because of platforming or if they were good because of speed, or whatever else you liked about the old Sonics, because (apparently) that is not what the franchise is about anymore.

Posted by CakeBomb

I'm not a big fan of Sonic games, always have been a more Mario guy, but seriously guys, it's super annoying when you come into a quick look predisposed to hate a game, even prefacing it on the podcast, it doesn't make for a good quick look nor does it show your best side. Lighten up and be open-minded.

Edited by BluPotato

That's all I have to say.

Edited by CatsAkimbo

@csl316 said:

There have been some decent Sonic games in recent years. Hating on it just seems like the thing to do.

Again, people seem to completely misremember what the original Sonic games were like. All about the speed? Simple platforming? Umm...

Yeah, it always bugs me when people say "Sonic is all about speed, you know, like the original 3." Anyone who says that obviously has not played the original 3 in a very long time, because by like the second area, the original sonic games had you stopping, pushing blocks around, and doing pretty precise platforming.

I'm not saying those are good things -- but you're exactly right about mis-remembering the originals. This game does look like the originals.

Posted by The_Nubster

@kollay said:

How slow Sonic's feet look while spinning is really bothering me to hell.

I don't think that Sonic looks right in this environment. He looks too 3D against a 2D-looking background. He looks so off, so subtly wrong.

Posted by RobKenno

Have always wonder why Sega just don't make a game like sonic 2/3 like megaman9 old school 2D I'm sure it would sell and people would have nothing to complain about, I hate the newer games personally think Sonic 2 is one of the greatest games of all Time