224 Comments Refresh
Posted by LunaCantabile

@phantomgardener: You can easily play this as a loot game the way monster hunter works as a loot game???

Certain enemies you farm for drop rates on items, crafting, upgrading, dragon forging, and fighting an asymmetric raid boss that increases in power every time it's slain? It's the kind of game you'd definitely play wanting to try and get the drop for say, a lambent shield or whatever, with DLC weapons that are serviceable early/midgame, but need to be fully upgraded for end/post-game viability.

It just isn't a loot game in the sense of having tiered items or "junk" loot, but it's absolutely about drops and item progression, getting an ascalon or knight's uniform is a big draw.

Posted by LunaCantabile

@mitsuko_souma2: I don't like skyrim much, but even I'll admit that skyrim does a better job of communicating narrative. Then again, I'd take Dragon's Dogma over skyrim on any mechanical level. A mod community doesn't make skyrim itself and inherently/mechanically better game.

Posted by BulimicBalzac

Only one question why is Odetta white? Odetta was a southern black woman right?!

Posted by mitsuko_souma2

This looks way better than Skyrim in nearly every way.

Posted by Roger778

Dragon's Dogma does look like a fun game. I'm tempted to try it out.

Posted by bkbroiler

I love how you can see Quintius or whatever just fall off the bridge at the end. Whoops!

Posted by Suoritus

Looks kinda sweet,

Posted by JamesERutledge

Dark Tower Ended great. Odetta was the good one. OY is a billy bumbler, and a movie would be outstanding!

Posted by kealivio

@umdesch4: the game is great

Posted by madnesshero88

Dark Tower references. They get me every time. White over red, thus Gan wills ever.

Posted by Lydian_Sel

I want to like this game because it seems to work competently but I find everything about the UI and art style a little irksome and it just looks like complete garbage to me.

Posted by Jdizzle84

Wow this game looks better than Skyrim in pretty much every aspect expect maybe graphics. But then again it also runs much more smoothly than Skyrim.

Posted by avidwriter

Bunch of armed bandits harder then a giant ogre? Nice logic game, nice logic.

Posted by leebmx

That poor ogre...

Posted by Nettacki
@H_Donna_Gust said:

This is like Operation Flashpoint as an open world RPG.

The old ones or the new ones?
Posted by fox01313

As many ways rpgs have dealt with the fast travel system, I'm surprised they didn't do something as simple as what was done in Skyrim where you could just go outside a town, get on a wagon going to another town then move fast across the map without breaking the game with instantly having the ability to move anywhere on the map.

Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror

I really like what this game is doing even if it is an iteration.

Posted by bigdc666

I think this game looks bad-ass

Posted by Begilerath

@SaturdayNightSpecials: Didn't know what Bandicooting was..now I know. But Why are there games that are older than the first Crash in the page? Should not the name for it change to MikeyManianing or TheLionKinging?

Posted by Generiko

"An epic number of enemies"

What the fuck!?

Posted by Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys

I'm getting the impression that Patrick is holding this game to a much higher standard than other games that have been released within the same genre in recent months. Perhaps my perception of this game does not reflect the actuality of the games quality evident from the vid for whatever reason, (I haven't played it myself) but he seems to be calling it on every detail without reflecting back on the positive for any balance other than casually mentioning the combat. This is a perfectly fine way to do things, as long as every game gets the same treatment.

Posted by GTCknight

@mason20: Duder, now I want there to be a Berserk tie-in. My Gatts can meet the real Guts.

Posted by joelalfaro

Those running animations, wow!

Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials
Posted by McGhee

I don't know. This looks pretty cool to me.

Posted by FoxMulder

Damn...I keep playing the demo despite how short it is! Makes me wish this was a budget title from the get-go...I'm almost tempted to lay down $60 for this!

Posted by Tsuchikage

I was expecting Patrick to be really negative about Dragon's Dogma. He didn't seem to like it on this week's I Love Mondays.

Edited by mason20

Seems to look pretty interesting without really knowing what this game was really but, now I'm not sure if I had heard a rumor or not but I remember someone telling me that they had Berserk tie-in DLC..

If that is true and they do have Berserk than I am buying this now.

Posted by onan

@Detrian said:

@onan said:

@Romination said:

@EveretteScott said:

@FoxMulder said:

@TentPole said:

Fast travel would ruin this game.

I agree. I played Skyrim with no fast travel for a 2nd character and it had a much different feel to it. This looks like it'd be too short with fast travel.

Fast travel has spoiled gamers. You have to actively choose not to use it. It's just become so easy to depend on it that apparently a game without it, that's seen as a negative now. I prefer when in-game you have to pay for some sort of transportation instead of this magic-go-everywhere-makes no logical sense in the game world option.

We have a lot of things like this that spoil us, really, and break the logic of the game. Just thinking about the way we're starting to see games with a "trash" option for picking up items is kind of weird.

There's nothing "magical" about fast travel. You get to your location in about the amount of time it would take for you to walk or run there. Time advances. It's just cutting out the potentially boring traversal bit. If that's magical, then me taking a nap on the train on my way to work is also magical. I close my eyes in one location and, egad, I'm at my destination moments later! Tis black magiks, it is!

Also, re: this quick look, Jesus Christ Patrick, Kill the mages first! Archers don't cast slow! Come on now. :)

Don't be thick. It's "magical" in the sense that it's like having a completely peaceful trip and that just never happens in any game of the style.

Not peaceful, but rarely anything to justify the long-ass walk over the same old terrain. I always assume something did happen along the way, but since i was backtracking to places I'd been, I'd just retraced my path that had been more or less cleared out of enemies. Maybe I'd come across a wolf or some other lame enemy, but it wouldn't make sense to load an entire area and cut my fast travel short just to bop a weak enemy on the head once with my sword. I suppose if it were truly the way I'm saying, my bags would be slightly more filled with crappy junk drops and i'd have about 12 more XP by the time I got there, but I just view that as them not being obnoxious about it.

Edited by SatelliteOfLove

OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I'll name my pawn Fuuka. Teeheehee (my GOD the blatant obviousness of their chat).

Im used to no lockon from WolfTeam ARPGs, (Full Manual, All Manual, All the time). Like Tricky said, it's control.

OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Posted by Detrian
@onan said:

@Romination said:

@EveretteScott said:

@FoxMulder said:

@TentPole said:

I agree. I played Skyrim with no fast travel for a 2nd character and it had a much different feel to it. This looks like it'd be too short with fast travel.

Fast travel has spoiled gamers. You have to actively choose not to use it. It's just become so easy to depend on it that apparently a game without it, that's seen as a negative now. I prefer when in-game you have to pay for some sort of transportation instead of this magic-go-everywhere-makes no logical sense in the game world option.

We have a lot of things like this that spoil us, really, and break the logic of the game. Just thinking about the way we're starting to see games with a "trash" option for picking up items is kind of weird.

There's nothing "magical" about fast travel. You get to your location in about the amount of time it would take for you to walk or run there. Time advances. It's just cutting out the potentially boring traversal bit. If that's magical, then me taking a nap on the train on my way to work is also magical. I close my eyes in one location and, egad, I'm at my destination moments later! Tis black magiks, it is!

Also, re: this quick look, Jesus Christ Patrick, Kill the mages first! Archers don't cast slow! Come on now. :)

Don't be thick. It's "magical" in the sense that it's like having a completely peaceful trip and that just never happens in any game of the style.

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

This definitely looks like something you'll either love or hate.

Unfortunately- I'm not interested, since this video confirmed my concerns about the allied AI. I had already heard mostly bad things about the Pawns- and this video did absolutely nothing to disprove the negative consensus I've heard so far. Their performance in combat was just painful to watch more often than not. Poor AI like this is not something I'm usually able to tolerate for long. >_<

It's a shame too- cause despite the abysmal allied AI, the combat itself looked pretty good. :(

That's just me though- games like Half-life 2 routinely prove that AI quality is not high on the priority list for most people. :P

Give the demo a try. The pawns do fuck up here and there but their AI is pretty decent and Patrick just has a shit team composition.
Posted by George_Hukas

@Daftasabat: Nah, still ordered it. The game has charm.

Posted by ChosenOne

Any chance Bethesda grabs a few of these Dragon's Dogma guys to do the combat in the next Elder Scrolls game? While they are at it, grab some Bioware or Naughty God guys for the story and characters. Skyrim has great lore, and the story is better that what's seen in Dragon's Dogma, but there is still a lot of room for improvement imo. Admittedly, it's harder to tell a great story in a world that is so open... Sorry, I'm all over the place.

Edited by TentPole

@Dallas_Raines said:

Also, if you're not gonna have fast travel, then don't put a limit on sprinting.

There is no problem with fast travel in general it is just that this game is built around the risk and tension of traveling far from safety without an easy way back.. Your max health begins to diminish and you have to think about if you will be able to make it back before you explore some cave you find. It builds tension knowing that if things go bad and you don't have enough provisions to get back to town then you are screwed. The game depends on this tension.

Skyrim would suck without fast travel. Dragon's Dogma would suck with it.

Posted by HerbieBug

I think I'm going to get this.  It has some of that Demon's Souls early reception feel to it.  Some people love it, some people think it's trash, and a lot of people aren't really sure what to make of it.  

Alright Capcom.  I'm on board. 

Posted by Blair

The wind effect looks really good.

Posted by HerbieBug

This looks really fun.  Is this really fun?  Should I get this game?  Cause I think it looks fun.  :/

Posted by Agent47

@DrStrangepork:The music is a really mixed bag,some rock music here and big typical RPG scores over here, but there are alot of good pieces I've heard.I really liked the one in when you first enter the village and the one at Gran Soren, but it is kind of weird how no music plays while you explore towns.But yeah I kind of like it cause even though some tracks feel out of place it's a nice touch of variety from most RPGs that just use the Hans Zimmer template.

Posted by MrMazz

This looks like a solid buy in the middle of summer when no games are out and it's 40 bucks or less.

Posted by Totori
@Fistfulofmetal said:

Let the record show, Patrick did not let go of the hold button!

but you don't have to hold it in this game
Posted by FoxMulder

Digging the demo, though it is short. Probably buy it when it's $30 or less.

Posted by Bunny_Fire

Jay and silent bob + Dragons ... awesome

Posted by Daftasabat

@George_Hukas:

Would you not buy a game because of the dodgy shadows? Seems somewhat shallow to me

Posted by George_Hukas

I'm not usually a stickler for graphics, but those are some distractingly hideous shadows

Posted by Dallas_Raines

@Brendan said:

@onan said:

@Romination said:

@EveretteScott said:

@FoxMulder said:

@TentPole said:

Agreed. Also, in games like Skyrim fast travel is really nice in the late-game, when I've filled my map with locations already. Going halfway across the map just to put something in my chest in my home with nothing new to discover and only a bear or two to kill on the way would make Skyrim really tedious without fast-travel. I refrain from using for most of the game to get the full experience.

Also, if you're not gonna have fast travel, then don't put a limit on sprinting.

Posted by Fistfulofmetal

Let the record show, Patrick did not let go of the hold button!

Posted by Spiritof

I'm by no means a platform-centric gamer, but this game looks kinda shitty on the 360. I played the PS3 demo and it looked a ton sharper than this.

Posted by Xeiphyer

About 6 hours into the game so far, its really great. Tons and tons of depth.

Its very reminiscent of Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, so anyone who enjoys those games will feel right at home here.

Posted by MasturbatingestBear

@Garfield518 said:

Patrick's doing that thing again where he just walks around in circles and talks for the first few minutes.

Please stop doing that. :(

No, everybody else would rather not have to take in what they are seeing as it is being introduced to them.