295 Comments
Posted by thetrin

That's horrifying. I want no part in this.

Posted by Tesla

It's kind of silly and fun to laugh at, but something like this after a couple of generations of technology evolution would be really awesome. A step in the right direction.

Posted by Zaxex

Really? I would consider paying a premium to not have these features in a game I want to play. Make the characters' mouths move randomly and you'd have better lip-syncing. And who's looking closely at characters' faces in an MMO. The voice thing is dumber than the SOE-mote thing too; despite the mind-numbing pun.

Posted by Jack268

The voice morphing thing is alright I guess but the face tracking is just weird and I doubt either of these features will make EQ2 relevant again.

Posted by HonkeyKong

Posted by buft

my sound card came with a program that can modulate voice input and that system sounds just as bad as the one these guys are showing off.

Posted by MeatSim

Llooks like there doing whatever they can to try and get people to still play EQ2.

Posted by Lab392

THAT MAN HAS A PONY TAIL.

Posted by Crono

This is kind of cool but wholly meaningless to me.

Posted by EverydayOdyssey

That guy seems pretty passionate.

Posted by Pezen

What the hell did I just witness? I feel a little bit nauseous. I don't even know what is going on. Today is officially over.

Posted by DuskVamp

Awww, but he looks so happy!

Posted by Mabui
@zolloz89 said:

The fuck?

Yes, indeed.
Posted by AngelN7

It's kinda goofy and kinda interesting at the same time, I'm not interested in EQ2 but I don't know they can turn that into a thing.

Posted by Datajack

I'd admit its a bit of a hokey beta representation of the software package. But then again, a developer IS pushing forward this tech further for the general public user space and THAT is freaking cool.

Disregard EQ2.....splice it in with LA Noire facial tech, would be very niiiiiccccceee.

Posted by Melos
Posted by sebmal

That is the best possible preview picture.

Edited by xite

Yes these are normal human emotions. No I'm not an android. Why do you ask?

Posted by Jayzilla

that guy has to tell people when he is moving into their neighborhood.

Posted by HerbieBug

FUCK!

I need to see my pdoc. My Seroquel needs to be increased. :(

Posted by chilipeppersman

This has been around for 8 yrs? Holy shit sony time to make planetside 2 already. And have that be the last mmo ever. plz

Posted by vizionblind

what a terrible waste of resources

Posted by IndeedCodyBrown

This is fucking wacky.

Edited by vinsanityv22

Probably not the smartest choice to show it off with a Frogman, dude. Probably should've picked something, proportionally, that lines up with an actual HUMAN face. Also, you guys better come up with some sort of looping "converse" animation. Because you were using your hands a lot, yet your Frog - below the neck - was in a coma.

Still, pretty neat. It's something that MMO's could definitely benefit from, so long as people sort of take it seriously. Even if they don't, maybe this will remove some of the anonymity that gives people that sense of "I can do whatever I want! TIME TO GRIEF SOME BITCHES!". Not that I'm saying EQ2 suffers from that. Or most MMOs, I think. This would be better used on XBL games if that's the affect. Judging by the negative comments here, it seems that - yup, Xbox gamers think this is stupid. Which means they don't like it, because of the "virtual ownership" it would give them over their characters (and actions). Which means it's probably a good idea ;)

Voice fonts are dumb though. if you want to play a character, just do a voice yourself. The sound FX tech used to garble up your voice is awful and obnoxious. It's why no one uses them on Xbox Live.

Posted by handlas

This man has a very friendly face. I like you Georgeson.

Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray

I genuinely think that this sounds pretty cool; I could very well picture a thousand players standing outside of Ogrimmar, attempting their very best to make rude expressions at each other using nothing but their face. It's beautiful in my mind.

That said, I think this rather interesting idea is losing a lot of it's allure thanks to the fact that it's attached to Everquest, a title that most sane people give little- to no crap about.

But I've gotta' ask, how much heroin is that guy on?! Last time I saw someone that happy, I'd just slept with her.

Posted by doomocrat

Every second of this was unsettling.

Posted by Stimpack

@Lab392 said:

THAT MAN HAS A PONY TAIL.

I think you may be onto something here.

Posted by Chadster

This guy sounds like he's on the verge of tears with happiness at the end. Like this is it, man, this is the watershed moment. Everquest II has finally arrived.

Posted by logson

Yikes. This might be my favorite video on the site that was't produced by GB.

Posted by Renrawr

April Fools?......2 months late but its the best excuse....

Posted by Giantstalker

All this makes me wonder if there will ever be an EQ3. Somehow I doubt it.

Posted by SpiralEye

The guy should have picked a reptile avatar instead.. Lost my appetite..

Posted by chrismafuchris

Everquest II is still a thing?

Posted by RJ

Dude...wtf. WTF!?

Posted by JGfromSpace

That man scares me for some reason.

Posted by doe3879

kinda late for April fool dont you think

Posted by Tsuchikage

Who else just clicked on this video because of the excellently written description? I have to say, I was not disappointed; that was really creepy.

Posted by MathewMcGee

Interesting....for people that are interested. Kinda freaky though.

Posted by vhold
@vinsanityv22 said:

Probably not the smartest choice to show it off with a Frogman, dude. Probably should've picked something, proportionally, that lines up with an actual HUMAN face.

I'm guessing they went frog man because the more human like classes probably have an Uncanny Valley effect with this.
Posted by ep_driver

@Milkman said:

I'm not sure what's more disturbing this guy's face or the fact that people are still playing EverQuest.

Hahahahahahaha

...that's all.

Posted by Jams

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

I should probably play an Everquest game at some point in my life. This isn't making it any easier.

How about the fact that they're both free now?

Posted by SatelliteOfLove

At least that frogman don't look like ass like the more humanlike races.

Posted by CustomOtto

@vinsanityv22 said:

Still, pretty neat. It's something that MMO's could definitely benefit from, so long as people sort of take it seriously. Even if they don't, maybe this will remove some of the anonymity that gives people that sense of "I can do whatever I want! TIME TO GRIEF SOME BITCHES!". Not that I'm saying EQ2 suffers from that. Or most MMOs, I think. This would be better used on XBL games if that's the affect. Judging by the negative comments here, it seems that - yup, Xbox gamers think this is stupid. Which means they don't like it, because of the "virtual ownership" it would give them over their characters (and actions). Which means it's probably a good idea ;)

What? How would this remove any anonymity or griefing? What are you talking about, virtual ownership? What are you talking about period?

Posted by Tahnit

who fucking cares about everquest 2...

Posted by arawk

"Right...see" come on man...you need to buy this please man...right...please

Posted by Roger_Klotz

When he started making the facial expressions it reminded me of this...

Posted by zodstein

I wonder how many creeps are gonna be rubbing one out with their camera on them?

Posted by AlbinoJerk

Why would they show it on a frog man? Cant decide if it would be more or less terrifying if it was on a human character. 

The uncanny valley must be a gaping abyss on a less cartoonish model.

Posted by Dprotp
@mnzy: what the shit we have the same icon