325 Comments
Posted by dablemont

Loved it, and looking forward to more videos! Keep it up!

Posted by nickux

@Death_Burnout said:

Great editing once again, as always! But damn the cynicism across the map this year is bumming me out.

A lot of people online seem to be talking about this and I'm so glad to see it. So many members of the games press, especially on Twitter, are being pretty cynical and dismissive this year. I think a lot of people feel that E3 had a pretty weak offering of games and surprises this year which, one could argue, is true. But even so, it is weird to see how much snark is getting thrown about. It's not engaging to me as a reader at all.

Posted by Humanity

@i8246i said:

@Humanity said:

Oh Patrick, you and your darling over analyzing.. I don't think anything about Halo is a puzzle.

I believe *you* are the one over-analyzing. Had you paid ANY attention to ANY of the times the GB crew has talked about Halo, is that they classify it as a "shooter puzzle"....in that you CAN complete a good chunk of the game by running and gunning, but the preferred way of fighting a group of enemies requires a combination of using your weapons/grenades/melee, killing certain enemies first, and using the environment and any powerups around in certain sequences.

In the end, "shut up, videogames".

Don't see how thats any more "puzzle" based than literally any other first person shooter with different enemy classes that have more armor, or are more mobile and require you to switch to a different weapon. Pretty much almost every modern game has this in one way or another. Theres always a heavy that you can't take head on or something with more shields.

Also I'm shocked to find this out as someone else already mentioned to me how everyone refers to Halo that way, something despite reading many reviews and being a fan of games for years, I've never heard before in connection to Halo. If anything I'd consider Halo one of the simpler more straightforward shooters out there on par with Call of Duty. Playing through Reach on Legendary I certainly didn't feel a lot of complex strategy involved - not any more than your usual shooter anyway.

Posted by Robaota

@Mdk5631 said:

Anyone who thinks Giantbomb hasn't changed for the worse since the CBS move needs to only watch this video.

The dubstep intro video and the flying camera in the first 5 mins were all it took for me to lose interest

If I wanted a wildly swinging camera and soundbited opinions I would watch MTV or ESPN.

Giant Bomb was where u went if u wanted to hear regular guys who are highly knowledge about videogames talk about videogames

PS anyone lucky enough to have caught a random PC live with chart room feel like Giant bomb had created a actual online community that is sliding away? :(

Dubstep: Another fine CBS product.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

That intro is fantastic!

Posted by Jugg4n4ut

@Robaota said:

@Mdk5631 said:

Anyone who thinks Giantbomb hasn't changed for the worse since the CBS move needs to only watch this video.

The dubstep intro video and the flying camera in the first 5 mins were all it took for me to lose interest

If I wanted a wildly swinging camera and soundbited opinions I would watch MTV or ESPN.

Giant Bomb was where u went if u wanted to hear regular guys who are highly knowledge about videogames talk about videogames

PS anyone lucky enough to have caught a random PC live with chart room feel like Giant bomb had created a actual online community that is sliding away? :(

im pretty sure they did that intro satirically, because there is so much unneccesary dubstep in everything nowadays

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

@Mdk5631: Man, finally you say something. Where have you been lately?

Posted by MeAuntieNora

Giant Bomb is brought to you by the United States Marines.

Semper Fi.

Posted by drummand

Finally some decent wub-wub out of E3.

Posted by SuperSambo

@Mdk5631 said:

Yeah, cause that was done seriously...

Posted by rebgav

@Mdk5631: Adorable. Have you not seen the E3 wrap-up videos from previous years?

Posted by Evan_Buchholz

@Mdk5631: Sorry you can leave if you want

Posted by SuperSambo

@reelife said:

"Halo 4 looks amazing, omg new enemies new weapons it looks great"

"God of war 4 looks like god of war, sure new enemies new weapons sure, but it's god of war"

Something is wrong here...

Halo has gameplay changes, God of War looks to have only visual changes.

Posted by redgonzo

lol jeff is fucking funny

Posted by Wicked_Wumpus

@Mdk5631 said:

This is a pretty standard Vinny edit.

Posted by Robaota

@Jugg4n4ut said:

@Robaota said:

@Mdk5631 said:

im pretty sure they did that intro satirically, because there is so much unneccesary dubstep in everything nowadays

Oh I know, the comment was also meant satirically, though not nearly as well done as the video.

I thought the whole video was stellar, and similar to E3 recap videos of the past.

Posted by Cramsy

@Mdk5631 said:

The hell? If you think this is worse then you probably didn't understand Giantbomb to begin with.

The fuck you think they're talking about now? They're talking about video games in the most intelligent and entertaining way possible.

Posted by betterboulder

27:17 Does not fail to make me laugh

Posted by csl316

The intro really came together!

Posted by EnduranceFun

@Dylabaloo said:

@reelife said:

"God of war 4 looks like god of war, sure new enemies new weapons sure, but it's god of war"

God of War is mechanically the same, sure new enemies but all that adds is a new skin and kill animation, at least in Halo the new enemies vary the gameplay puzzle, which is central to peoples interest in Halo. Also Halo 4 is run natively at 720p, which you can tell, everything looks super high res. Unlike God of War, which looks the same if not worse than God of War 3. Now on the multiplayer side God of War will be getting it's own mode but who wants it? Halo multiplayer is already proven to be one the most played console multiplayer games and they will be adding Spartan Ops which sounds like an awesome way to keep up the longevity of the game after release, while I could see people playing God of Wars multiplayer maybe once to check it out and then never touch it again. Similar to other games which shouldn't have a multiplayer element. (Dead Space 2)

So uh basically, Halo is different because it's a puzzle. Right.

Personally, I feel like God of War's getting quite shafted. I thought it looked fantastic.

Posted by VargasPrime

FOURTH ECK-ELON

Posted by kishinfoulux

LMAO at that intro.

Posted by budgietheii

Both the intro video and traditional megamix of conference moments are fantastic.

Edited by gbrading

Editing in this video is far out. Grats Vinny and Drew and anyone else who helped! :)

SpeedPage: Procedurally generated Ellen Page. :P

Posted by BrianP

@Mdk5631 said:

I don't know, these seem very similar to all the other E3 impressions videos they have done in the past. All the footage that wasn't them standing there talking was taken from the recordings of the press conferences done by the people running E3. It's not like they are going out and renting boom cameras to do those shots. As they have had more success they have had the opportunity to get better equipment and vinny and drew have gotten better at video editing, so they can do stuff like stupid dubstep intros.

Posted by Franstone

Vinny sellin hot-dogs?

Posted by NocturnusFatalis

Huh? What's wrong with Baird?

Edited by Superkenon

Awesome. Been looking forward to the recaps!

Thumbs up, guys.

@Mdk5631 said:

Uhh... Random PC is one of their most recent new segments. The very first one was less than a year ago, if I'm not mistaken. If that's your example of the good ol' days, you needn't be so worried. They're still all about that shit.

If you're opposed to dubstep anything, I could see how you'd be turned off by this, but you shouldn't confuse that for 'GB jumping the shark'. Their ironic (yet not ironic) passion for the wub-wub dates way before this CBS business, and the editing on this video is Vintage Vinny™. If anything, this video tells me that they've still got the precious 'eh, screw it!' approach that I've come to know and love from Giant Bomb.

Edited by EternalGamer2

Undoubtly a very slickly produced video with great editing and sound. I understand it's draw for posterity, however, personally, all I need is the quick and dirty quick looks. I hope this new style doesn't limit the quantity and speed at which we get to see video impressions of stuff on the floor.

I get the pride of craftmanship and the guy should indeed be proud of it. But if this is a choice between quantity and quality, I'll take quantity. The most important stuff is just the guys talking into a camera. All the rest is (very well produced) dross.

I have my suspicions that most people would just prefer a barrage of old school guerilla style E3 floor quick looks as opposed to a fewer of this type.

Posted by darkcargio

sam fisher is less apealing, tired of those games

Posted by Skillface

@Mdk5631: Yeah you're right, CBS totally made them put dubstep in that video. Giant Bomb is ruined! Forget all the effort it took to edit that (extremely well done I might add) intro sequence.

Posted by beard_of_zeus

Slick video, loved it! The bumper at the start was also as awesome as I had hoped it would be. 

Appreciate the recap, guys, since I missed most of the press conferences on Monday.

Posted by djhicks1

I think I just heard an Area 51 sound effect in the intro.

Posted by Phatmac

SPEEDPAGE CONFIRMED!

Edited by rmanthorp

This video is fucking outstanding.

WUBWUB

Posted by scarycrayons

Every time I watch the bumper, I notice a little bit more craziness!

The green monitors at the bottom of the last 'panel' are my latest discovery... I completely missed them the first few times I rewound and rewatched it. (Yes, it was so great, I had to do a quintuple take)

Posted by kollay

Vinny, you the man.

Edited by otaku_desu

so funny to see them get progressively more tired throughout the video. and seeing brad CRACK UP is so funny since he's mostly reserved on other vids... as far as press conference seems like xbox comes out with real demo and spectacle, sony somewhere in between and nintendo is just weird.

Posted by i8246i

@reelife said:

The thing being wrong is that you're not paying attention to what was being shown at E3 (trailers and gameplay demos), and the way the two series' has dealt with their universe and the ongoing storyline/canon.

God of War really has no where left to go from the way things ended in 3. Everything and everyone that has opposed Kratos has been killed...to death...with fire...and pointy things. And for one reason or another, Kratos is denied any sort of rest/afterlife/punishment...and unless something was revealed post-credits of GoW3, I'm pretty certain that the guy doesn't care about becoming a king of any land.

Unless there's some god or goddess that Kratos hasn't murdered, or some part of his soul he hasn't taken a crap on...or some alien life form coming from some distant planet to attack this world...why make another God of War? Even from a purely financial standpoint, the GB crew, and I believe the fanbase has had enough.

The demo shows nothing new to the combat, nothing really new for powers. He has the same grunt enemies, the same cinematic powerups...and the guy playing him in the demo kinda sucked at playing the game, so combat looked more clunky and repetitive than it probably should.

Meanwhile, Halo's universe *has the potential* to keep going...its not like you completely have stopped the Covenant from being a threat to the universe, and now that their unifying religion has been proven an outright lie, who knows if they will stay unified? Earth and its colonies were only briefly united in the fight against an alien foe...if you had read some of the backstory you'd have known that not every human wanted to be part of the united colonies, and not everyone who broke away from the federation were "quiet" in their "differences".

Then you have the problem of some of the Halos not being completely destroyed, and their monitors...had you played or watched some of the crazy extra videos in the Halo 1 remake, you'd know that Guilty Spark was one of several AIs that may or may not have gone insane and perhaps have developed a god complex as well...

And who knows if there's some long-lost, frozen-in-faux-carbonite Forerunner out there? It would seem a little hokey, especially considering Mass Effect 3 did the same thing not even a year ago...but Halo's story has never been above cliches and hokey....ness.

(And if you took the 5 minutes to watch the Halo 4 teaser trailer, you do see and hear one of the other Halo monitors at the very end, and Cortana even says "This technology...looks Forerunner!" [sic])

I really could go on...for someone who doesn't currently have a working 360, and who only briefly played Halo 3, I've read *far too much* into the mythos and watched *far too many* gameplay/cutscene videos on YouTube....

But I think I've said enough.

Posted by redbliss

Beautiful use of dubstep

Posted by darkcargio

no more zombies goddamit

Posted by Scrawnto

Alright, everyone who complained about the lack of original video content yesterday can shove it. This totally makes up for it, if you ask me.

Posted by darkcargio

fuck the video content their opinions are more important

Posted by crazyleaves

Awesome video, you guys get better every year!

Posted by ImperiousRix

@BrianP said:

@Mdk5631 said:

I don't know, these seem very similar to all the other E3 impressions videos they have done in the past. All the footage that wasn't them standing there talking was taken from the recordings of the press conferences done by the people running E3. It's not like they are going out and renting boom cameras to do those shots. As they have had more success they have had the opportunity to get better equipment and vinny and drew have gotten better at video editing, so they can do stuff like stupid dubstep intros.

Preeeetty sure the dubstep was used as a tongue-in-cheek shot at the fact that all video game trailers use it nowadays.

Other than that, can't say the video was wildly different than E3 wrap-ups in the past; that is to say that it was informative, hilarious, and extremely well-edited.

Posted by UsbCable

I love you Vinny.....

Posted by Elwood

Not much mention of the gameplay footage shown in AC 3, other than that great video guys.

Posted by Pozo

Awesome bumpers!

Posted by megalowho

Brilliant recap!

Posted by Rayeth

DAT INTRO.