399 Comments
Posted by KinjiroSSD

These "interviews", if you could even call it that, proceed as follows. Brad asks a single question and Carmack talks for 15mins unabated. Love it!

Posted by Splodge

I understand all the words he is saying, just not when they are strung together into a sentence.

Posted by Hilts

I was waiting for the first 'on there' and it came in the first 10 seconds. Much sooner than expected. Love John Carmack. I could listen to him talking jargon all day long.

Posted by Phatmac

Carmack is the best.

Posted by Tennmuerti

Great watch/listen.

A bit optimistic on timeframes there tho :)

Edited by Goblin

Wow, all of his solutions seem so obvious, in hindsight. I'm sure there's plenty of research being done on VR, but I guess it takes Carmack to round it all up and make it good and practical.

Posted by briansanderson

Probably the best interview I have ever watched on giantbomb.com.

Posted by Bollard

@sirdesmond said:

Parts of this music really reminds me of Futurama, mostly the church bell parts.

Yes, this!!

Posted by SpartyOn

Brad has been killing it with interviews this E3...and this might be my favorite.

Posted by Humboldt

Great interview but I don't like the background music, it's distracting.

Posted by BloodShotRobot

This plus Amnesia :The Dark Descent equals PURE TERROR!

Posted by FelixCulpa

Such an awesome dude. Plus I love the futurama music!

Posted by Clippjoint

@dropabombonit said:

Is it just me or does the song at the end of this video sound like the Futurama theme song?

yes it sounds like the Futurama song :D

Posted by Feigr

Listening to Carmack talk is pure joy because of how passionate and knowledgeable he is.

Posted by yevinorion

@dropabombonit said:

Is it just me or does the song at the end of this video sound like the Futurama theme song?

Sure does. Pretty sure that's it.

Posted by Rattle618

Damn it, I cant stay mad at this guy.

Posted by datarez

@sub_o: Thanks for that video link.

Posted by stalis

Love the futurama bells!

Posted by buzz_killington

I could listen to Carmack talk for days.

Also, funny hearing Brad at the end saying "Thanks a lot, John," because if I remember correctly, he backed out of an interview with Johnny C last year because he was super nervous.

Posted by H7O

Brad, c'mon let Carmack have as much time as he wants. This was really interesting talk that got cut really short.

Posted by vinster345

That was fantastic!!!!

Posted by tmek

@Mumrik said:

WHAT INSANE CAMERAMAN WOULD WAVE FOR TIME WHEN THE CARMACK IS TALKING!?!?12ine!?!?!

I totally eat up everything that man is saying and I'm not even sure why.

I thought this at first too, but then I realized the person waving was not from Giant Bomb but from Carmack's camp. Keeping the interview time limited so that the next member of the press could come interview Carmack..

Posted by Pop

I love Carmack!

Posted by Trilogy

@H7O said:

Brad, c'mon let Carmack have as much time as he wants. This was really interesting talk that got cut really short.

Brad would probably sit there all day if they let him. It's the PR people that told them to wrap it up.

Posted by Pop

@buzz_killington said:

Also, funny hearing Brad at the end saying "Thanks a lot, John," because if I remember correctly, he backed out of an interview with Johnny C last year because he was super nervous.

he didn't back out of it, he did it but he was super nervous.

Posted by 1nfinitum

I can't focus on what Carmack is saying with this rip-off futurama music in the background.

Posted by razielrioux

One of the brightest minds in the world. A lot of this stuff would normally go over my head but John always does a good job of explaining tech without dumbing it down.

Posted by JeanLuc

I could listen to Carmack talk forever!

Posted by ZmillA

I could watch brad and John go at it for hours.

Edited by Devildoll

damn, carmack never disapoints.

everything he talks about is interesting.

Feeling pretty good about my 120 Hz monitor now as well.

Posted by jakkblades

@H7O said:

Hah, it wasn't GB guys giving him the hand wave.

Posted by Sin4profit

Love this stuff. I still would like to see a decent VR headset having used head tracking for flight sims. This seems closer along the lines of what i want out of VR it's just a matter of getting the opportunity to try it. hard to look at a list of VR devices and have any idea what the difference is between any of them and like Carmack said without the experience with the older VR models its hard to appreciate what's improving.

The one thing i'm curious about when it comes to VR headsets is how the convergence of the eyes factors into it and if adding sensors that can track your eye movement can add to the experience.

Edited by sofakingcool

I love that there is duct tape on that thing!

PS I could listen to Carmack amble on about tech all day...

Posted by LittlemanBodie

Energizer Bunny ain't got shit on him!

Posted by Brosef

JC is my man crush.

Such a fascinating person.

Posted by Chtasm

I hope you all understand that if more people bought RAGE we'd be taking vacations to space right about now. Awesome video!

Posted by Hackjob135

...This guy is way smarter than me

Posted by AlexanderHC

This was awesome!

Posted by Beomoose

Futurama music?

Posted by mnzy
@Pop said:

@buzz_killington said:

he didn't back out of it, he did it but he was super nervous.

Patrick did the E3 2011 interview.
Posted by Jackel2072

And this is what happens when you let rocket scientists design games! Good stuff.

Posted by Beer

Fucking love me some John Carmack on there.

Posted by Deadmanforking

Hes such a nerd! I LOVE HIM!!!!

Posted by xite

This is interesting as heck but why's there loud ass music in the background?

Posted by AllanIceman

nnnhhhggggcarmack........ I want him to talk about space!

Posted by SushiX

I feel smarter just listening to Carmack talk.

Posted by ValiantGoat

I need a nap after interpreting all of what Carmack was saying.

Posted by shadow961

who'd dare give Carmack the wrap signal.

Posted by Mercanis

Brad's older brother is so cool. They should have him on Giant Bomb more often.

Posted by YoungBuck

Great interview.