27 Comments
Posted by Contrarian

I cannot believe it. I have completely boxed myself in and have no choice other than to delete the file and start again. Clearly I picked the wrong units to take to the end. In Rebirth (3) you have to kill the dragon king, only problem is, the most points I can take from him is 10 out of the 100 he has. I did manage to get him to 70 in one turn, but he just got the points back on the next turn - it is a dead end. He will kill every character in one go and they won't take a single point.

I love this game, but I am not sure I can do this foe third time! Another 120+ hours? I am so disappointed I made a poor choice and there is no way to salvage it. If I do it again, I need to set aside a spare save file prior to the end chapters, so I can just go back to that .......... grrrrrrrrrr. Still a game I haven't finished.

Posted by upwarDBound

The problem might be that they're mostly JRPGs that you're not finishing. These games are 30 to 40 hours on average and usually have lulls that make it easy to back out. It also sounds like it's the difficulty that's keeping you from completing at least Fire Emblem.

For me it's usually a combination of factors and usually it's for RPGs. Probably most infamous for me is Persona 3. I put more than a hundred hours into the game and was on the final stretch and then I suddenly quit playing. I'm pretty sure the length of the game was beginning to get to me as was the grind of the tower.

Other games that are easy to not finish for me are the GTA series. They are some of my favorite games but it takes me a long time to finish them. I didn't end up finishing San Andreas until three or so years after I first started playing it. I think the problem is much the same as with RPGs. They're too long and sprawling and I get tired of playing them. If you try to do all the activities in a GTA game it can easily rival the length of most RPGs especially San Andreas.

Posted by Contrarian

@Nux said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Radiant Dawn has mid-level saves. I'll just throw that out there, because that's about the time I discovered it, too.

It does? Damn it now I have to go back and try to beat Endgame too. I can't tell you haw meany times I had to restart this stage about half way though. This will be a big help.

Well, it is 3.30am and time for bed, but I did manage to beat Endgame (1), that took a while, and Endgame (2) - that was easy, 2 attacks from Ike and all over. Endgame (3) looks pretty tough with oh so many dragons! Keeping the team safe in this one looks like it will take some careful planning.

Posted by Sayishere

Im the opposite, i have to finish games, otherwise i feel unfulfilled. Theres rare cases where the game is boring to the point where i ponder suicide, or a lack of time. If i leave a game on hiatus for a week, i lose the passion to play it again. I dont do this with story heavy games, i usually play them to completing. Games in recent memory that i never completed are borderlands and dead rising 2.

Posted by TheDudeOfGaming

Well, some games just don't hold your interest enough to finish it. Kingdom of Amalur, it started off as a pretty good action RPG that i really enjoyed. And I'll probably play it some more and maybe even finish it (I'm half way through). But right now, i couldn't play it if someone held a gun to my head. Other than that i rarely not finish games, I got a limited budget which means i play less games per year, so i finish most of them. .

Posted by Brodehouse
@pyromagnestir Television shows have an overarcing plot, but so do video games. Each season has a plot of its own that contributes to the greater story, just like each entry into a franchise. Game of Thrones seasons 1 and 2 should be compared to Dragon Age Origins and 2, not to a single game.

Also, personally I find all television shows to lose their magic somewhere in the third season, maybe the fourth if they're lucky. So that's about 30-40 hours depending on the format. I feel the same way with games, I quit playing Skyrim after 45 hours because I felt like I had seen all the tricks.
Posted by pyromagnestir

@Brodehouse: I don't think one season of a tv show always equates to one video game. Sometimes it might, sure, but many tv shows full story is told not from season to season, but over the course of all the seasons. Like The Shield, Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Game of Thrones, and so on.

So you gotta look at when has the full story been told, and compare it that way. Some games, like the Mass Effect games, tell the full story over the course of multiple games. Others are complete unto themselves. Some shows are tell very broken up, seasonal stories, like maybe a Mad Men, or a Justified, or many network tv shows, perhaps. Others, like the ones I mentioned above, have seasons that are more like chapters in a very long book.

Posted by Brodehouse
@pyromagnestir A season of network drama lasts 18 hours, cable drama lasts 10 (and cable drama is often far superior for exactly that reason). A little longer than your average game or book.

If you're talking about multiple seasons, then we have to talk about multiple games.
Posted by Nux

@Video_Game_King said:

Radiant Dawn has mid-level saves. I'll just throw that out there, because that's about the time I discovered it, too.

It does? Damn it now I have to go back and try to beat Endgame too. I can't tell you haw meany times I had to restart this stage about half way though. This will be a big help.

Edited by pyromagnestir

@Cloudenvy said:

I can't say that I haven't experienced the same feeling, but more often than not I'll just put the game on the easiest difficulty so I can at the very least see it through.

I've started doing this too, which also helps me finish games I might have otherwise given up on. However, Darksiders, like the some of the Zelda games it borrows from, is one of those games that I really only play in fits and starts, so I'm nowhere near finished it yet, but I keep meaning to dive back into it.

@Brodehouse: TV shows can and often do last well in excess of 40 hours and they can maintain drama. And the audiobook I'm currently listening to is about 46 hours long. If anything that can enhance the drama, I think, because it gives you more time to get to know the characters, and grow attached to them, and be worried about what might happen to them. So that is not the reason a games story isn't maintained. I think the reason is that most game stories just aren't good enough to stretch out that long.

Posted by scalpel

I don't either. I stop playing once I get bored.

Posted by Brodehouse

I'm one of the guys who isn't super pissed about 6-8 hour campaigns. The games I want to play forever don't have stories (Hot Pursuit, Super Meat Boy, Trials). No story can maintain the drama after 40+ hours. When was the last time you read a book that lasted 40 hours? I bet by the end you just wanted it to be done.

Posted by Cloudenvy

I can't say that I haven't experienced the same feeling, but more often than not I'll just put the game on the easiest difficulty so I can at the very least see it through. This reminds me that I've tried to beat Darksiders at least three times and I always end up quitting in the same dungeon, that's probably a game I will never finish.

Posted by pyromagnestir

I do this sorta stuff as well. There are many reasons I won't finish a game.

Sometimes I've just had my fill of a particular game. Maybe I'll go back and finish it later, maybe I won't. FFXIII is a recent example of this. Got to the point where the game finally opened up and said, "No thanks. I'm good."

Sometimes if a game experience is busted, I won't want to continue anymore. Fallout New Vegas on PS3 was like that for me. The game is supposed to be about exploration, but if every time I try to explore the game crashes and I lose all my progress, well, I will give up in frustration.

Other times my own shittiness at games causes the frustration. If a boss or level is hard and I fail at it a few times I'll maybe just give in. Can't remember a recent example of this, but It's why I stopped playing Metroid Prime 2 back in the day, though. I did eventually start that game over from the beginning and see it through to the end, but not before it also suffered from the next problem...

Other times if I'm enjoying a game sooo much, I won't want to finish it and be done forever with it, since I don't replay games very much. I did this last summer playing Metroid Prime 3 (as well as previously with MP2), but I did go back and finish that game after only a month. Achievements have largely weened me off of this practice, as now even if I'm done a games campaign or whatever, I can go back and achievement whore for a bit, to have some nice little goals to accomplish until I'm ready to be done.

And sometimes life just gets in the way, or I just don't want to play that particular game at that particular moment, or some other reason I can't even think of.

@Joeyoe31 said:

I have a couple of friends like you. It bothers me a lot when they don't finish games. Like a lot more than it should. I mean technically Hizang is right but gosh is it bothering when my friend is at the last boss of Catherine and has been ever since the second day it's been out. Like just finish it. It's not a big deal. It isn't hard. Just finish it.

I'm not saying you should beat every game you have. I own plenty of games that I'll either never touch or never finish. Also dropping a game mid campaign isn't bad if you aren't enjoying yourself. That's at least my friends justification for putting off games that he hasn't beaten. Like Catherine but again, he should just finish it. But I'm saying like say you're like 23 hours into some random RPG and you know that it's going to go on for another 30 or so hours. If you hate it man just drop it.

I don't know. This was a good thread to rant and not give a definite answer in. Just play League of Legends to scratch that gaming itch. Each game last 45 minutes. You can't possibly have an attention span that small.

I have a friend who does sort of the the opposite. He would buy a ton of games, play them for like an hour, then buy a new game and play that for an hour, and so on. Drove me nuts, though I never told him about that. He largely gave up on games though, save for multiplayer shooters and maybe a Skyrim every now and then.

@Video_Game_King said:

That was the feature that I loved at first, then grew to dislike, when I realized what it brought out of the deep, dark recesses of my sometimes perfectionist gaming habits. I had to swear off it by the end. Only for a couple of those final missions to make it almost a necessity again. (especially without any Laguz royals in my party)

Posted by Contrarian

@Video_Game_King said:

Oh yeah, I abuse the hell out of them. I did try many a level in one go, but dying after an hour via a silly mistake or oversight sucked. Now I try to save after every turn so I can correct stupidity - unless I box myself in to a stupid error and it is time to start again.

Posted by Video_Game_King

Posted by Contrarian

@Video_Game_King said:

@Contrarian said:

Meg, I am looking at you.

Always love when a Family Guy reference is put in a Fire Emblem blog :P.

Also, go finish that shit NOW. NOW.

I have started the chapter 3 times now and it ended badly each time, no more than two turns in. This shit is hard. Damn thos mages and their sleep move. Alright, deep breath, I will go and try again before I go to bed.

@mandude said:

What age are you? I'd say it depends on what games you grew up with. Years of playing the likes of Wizball, Paperboy, and Sonic the Hedgehog trained me in such a way so that the goal of playing a game isn't to finish it. Games have evolved quite a lot in the past few decades, so you're likely just playing with the old game mindframe.

I could also be talking absolute bollocks though.

I did grow up on older games, but to be honest, outside a Gameboy in 1993ish, gaming really didn't hit me until the Gamecube. From their I was hooked on JRPG, so I do like a long game with an interesting story. I did finish House of the Dead: Overkill - about 2-3 hours was it? You couldn't not finish it, but like any arcade-y game, it is the scores on the replays that draw you back. The last big game I finished was Final Fantasy XIII and no-one was more surprised than me that I finished - the last boss was one of the easiest of the game.

Posted by mandude

What age are you? I'd say it depends on what games you grew up with. Years of playing the likes of Wizball, Paperboy, and Sonic the Hedgehog trained me in such a way so that the goal of playing a game isn't to finish it. Games have evolved quite a lot in the past few decades, so you're likely just playing with the old game mindframe.

I could also be talking absolute bollocks though.

Posted by Morrow

I have a similar syndrome, sometimes if I really want to watch a movie, most of the time with an actor I have a crush on, I buy the DVD and have it lying around forever, instead of eagerly watching it. I mean, I want to watch it but something's holding me back. That has probably something to do with the desire to not let the experience (either of a book, movie or game) end. So I don't start it. It's rather ridiculous... I'm even immensely bothered by unfinished stuff.

Posted by Video_Game_King

@Contrarian said:

Meg, I am looking at you.

Always love when a Family Guy reference is put in a Fire Emblem blog :P.

Also, go finish that shit NOW. NOW.

Posted by Tireyo

For me, it depends on what the game is and how difficult it is. If I feel the need to finish it, then I will.

Posted by Hizang
@Joeyoe31

I have a couple of friends like you. It bothers me a lot when they don't finish games. Like a lot more than it should. I mean technically Hizang is right but gosh is it bothering when my friend is at the last boss of Catherine and has been ever since the second day it's been out. Like just finish it. It's not a big deal. It isn't hard. Just finish it.

I'm not saying you should beat every game you have. I own plenty of games that I'll either never touch or never finish. Also dropping a game mid campaign isn't bad if you aren't enjoying yourself. That's at least my friends justification for putting off games that he hasn't beaten. Like Catherine but again, he should just finish it. But I'm saying like say you're like 23 hours into some random RPG and you know that it's going to go on for another 30 or so hours. If you hate it man just drop it.

I don't know. This was a good thread to rant and not give a definite answer in. Just play League of Legends to scratch that gaming itch. Each game last 45 minutes. You can't possibly have an attention span that small.

I agree that if you over 50% through a game or right near the end you may as well finish it.
Edited by Joeyoe31

Posted by Tarsier

ive recently hit points in the witcher 2 and skyrim that i have been just over it.. not to the point where i gained a negative opinion or any form of dislike for the games, but i just have moved on, im at the last act of witcher ,i think i was just underwhelmed when i realized i was in the last part and that there was going to be no more game soon. like "that was it?? i sure wish there was something more to work towards than a entire act that revolves around a fight. . . and with skyrim i just got too powerful and am like 3 shotting everything , i turned the difficulty up but it doesnt really increase the challenge of the game or make the combat any more interesting, it just makes it so that if i dont use my elemental fury ability before every battle theres a chance i might get killed. so yea basically fuck all that shit, im deleting those games and playing civ 5 and focusing on doing something productive with my life until the next generation comes, or until the end of the world rest in peace fellow humans 2012 is here and the doom of man approaches

Posted by ImaTreee

don't feel bad. i jump around with games too, after long periods of not playing. there's still a list of games that i haven't beaten, and i plan on getting to them. anyway, hope you finish fire emblem.

Posted by Hizang

Games are about getting your moneys worth, if you feel you got your moneys worth and you didn't finish it good for you. I used to be like you and not finish any, but this year I'm really cracking down on my backlog hard and finishing games most weekends. This weekend I'm working on Prince of Persia, man the combat in the game is dumb.

Good luck on finishing Fire Emblem by the way, try not to get yourself down that hole though of caring to much if a character dies. A characters death will just make the game that much more emotional at the end.

Posted by Contrarian

Hello, my name is Contrarian and I can't finish games.

Well, that feels good to get that out there. It isn't entirely true, but the number of games I have seen right through to the credits is pretty damn small. In fact, if I finish a game it is generally a surprise, in that the credits roll and I wasn't expecting them. I don't know why this is. There must be some underlying psychology in play here. Perhaps it is that when I am finished, there is nothing really to look forward to from the game (we are talking games with a story here). I just don't want it to end as there will always be something still to look forward to. Perhaps.

Case study - Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Today I have arrived at the final chapters of the game - Endgame. There are 5 chapters of Endgame and I am on the first. It has taken me 60 hours to get here, plus easily the same amount plus again, from all those times I restarted the console when a character died. For those not familiar with Fire Emblem, a character is dead FOREVER when it dies. You don't get to use it again. I am too kind hearted to let a character die, everyone must make it to the end. Even the characters who are utter shite - Meg, I am looking at you.

What brings me to this blog is the save files already on the system, as I have played this game before. The last time I played it, probably a year or so ago, I stopped playing at Endgame: Rebirth (1), EXACTLY the same spot I am now on. Last time it took me 2 hours less to get to the same spot. I see now why I may have stopped the last time - so many decisions to make and they must be made with great thought. Who gets what experience points (I have 100,000 sitting there). Who I should upgrade (I still have Master Crowns and Mater Seals). What weapons I should have (sell all the Iron and perhaps Steel and get Silver). What weapons I should forge (I have no idea what is the right ones to do it on - I am disinclined to bother). What units I should take to the battle (those who have SS ranked weapon use seem smart). So much more. So many choices.

Will I actually finish it this time? Who knows. This isn't the first, nor will it be the last game where I do exactly the same thing again. I remember multiple visits of the same nature on Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos for a start. It tends to happen with JRPGs in general, I have yet to finish any Kingdom Hearts games, but at least I have finished Final Fantasy 3 & 13 - perhaps I should try to finish all the others in the series. Don't get me started on all those Zelda games that I haven't finished a single one.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing games. I am not really bothered about not finishing them, which is sort of silly - imagine watching a movie except the last 20 minutes or reading a book except the last chapter. It is completely illogical and irrational behaviour. Sometimes I stop just because I figure I didn't do some of the early parts properly or missed items I can't get again and that may be 20 plus hours into it, or even more.

We need a gaming psychologist - The Gamer's Couch. Perhaps it is all my mothers fault? Perhaps I stopped breastfeeding early? This can only end badly - sorry for wasting your valuable time that you could have used finishing games like a normal person. (^_^)