142 Comments
  • 142 results
Posted by Phatmac

This is the best thing ever! Such a heart warming tale has made my bad day less shitty. Thanks Tricky!

Posted by MichaelEM3

Double Fine are the best.

Posted by Brenderous

So they just picked a random person who posted about the game in the forums to invite, or what?

Posted by OANST

I know it's easy to be cynical about these things, but when I was there (Yes, that's me. And I know my camera sucks. Sorry) the only member of the press they introduced me to was Patrick. There were somewhere between twenty, and thirty journalists there to see The Cave's demo, but they made no attempt to whore me around, showing off what a cool thing they did. Instead, they made me drink beer with them, Brad Muir tried to prank call my work, and I was ushered into Tim's office for about 45 minutes where we just kind of hung out with the door closed. They were amazing, every single one of them.

Posted by Atwa

Yet they could not invest in a decent camera.. 

Posted by Hashbrowns

@CrystaljDesign said:

Dude is wearing an Irrational Games hoodie what the whaaaat

@Pozo said:

@CrystaljDesign:

That's Chris Remo and one of his friends (also on Idle Thumbs) is Steve Gaynor who used to work there as a level designer.

That's just my guess though.

It seems he was employed at Irrational for a little while in 2010. He's sitting beside Ken Levine in this Giant Bomb interview.

Posted by sixpin

@OANST: That's a great story, man. Congrats on the fun trip.

Posted by Legend

Double Fine is awesome. 'Nuff said.

Posted by stinky
Why did Double Fine do this? Because it could, the studio told me.

yeah we got a ton of kickstarter money, more than we need to make the game we said we'd make, so, why not?

Posted by OANST

I imagine that either Sega paid for it, or they did so from the money they make elsewhere. As this had nothing to do with the Kickstarter project I doubt that any of that money went to my benefit.

Posted by dvdhaus

This guy looks like he could be Brad Muir's brother. This just goes to show you why Double Fine is one of the coolest companies.

Edited by Clarke

For those of you that are confused Matthew Bell read an article posted by Destructoid that Double Fine trademarked "The Cave" in February. This is before the Double Fine Kickstarter campaign had even ended. No one on the Double fine forums payed much attention to it. It wasn't till May that Double Fine announced "The Cave" officially. I guess they were excited that someone was paying attention to every little bit of Double Fine news.

Posted by OANST

@Clarke: That's my take on it.

Posted by xbob42

@stinky said:

yeah we got a ton of kickstarter money, more than we need to make the game we said we'd make, so, why not?

You realize they get the kind of money that Kickstarter earned dozens of times over for even simple games, right?

Posted by Kerned

I love Brad Muir and I love his single facial expression.

Posted by Fattony12000

HOLD THE FUCKING CAMERA PHONE STEADY JESUS FUCK!

Mad GGs all around tho.

Posted by Darkstorn

It's nice to see the extra kickstarter money isn't just padding bonuses. Go Double Fine!

Posted by Smokey_Earhole

@OANST said:

I was ushered into Tim's office for about 45 minutes where we just kind of hung out with the door closed. They were amazing, every single one of them.

That is some kinky shit right there.

Posted by MrKlorox
@OANST: I'm jealous. That's pretty cool. Too bad it's really difficult to preserve memories perfectly for things like this. You know you'll never be able to drink alcohol or sleep ever again without it mutating or oozing out your ear, right?
Posted by OANST

@Smokey_Earhole: I'm pregnant.

Posted by Smokey_Earhole

@OANST said:

Huge congratulations. I'm sure the baby will be Doubly Fine.

(I apologize for this in advance).

Posted by OANST

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@OANST said:

Huge congratulations. I'm sure the baby will be Doubly Fine.

(I apologize for this in advance).

I can already feel the beard scratching the inner lining of my manerus.

Posted by omfgzell

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@spilledmilkfactory

So hold on, I'm confused. Why, exactly, did Double Fine decide to bring this random guy over? I mean it's fucking awesome of them and everything, but I just don't get the reasoning on their part.

I would imagine the reasoning is quite obvious? This stunt just "bought" Double Fine a ton of goodwill and invaluable PR. Just look at the majority of the comments for this story.

You, sir, have a heart of stone.

Posted by Zolfe

Patrick, edit your shit yo.

Posted by Grilledcheez

Story is awesome, camera sucked...hopefully he has a good memory.

Posted by Claude

That dude looks pretty cool. And his daughter rocks, rock on!

Posted by sissylion

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@spilledmilkfactory

So hold on, I'm confused. Why, exactly, did Double Fine decide to bring this random guy over? I mean it's fucking awesome of them and everything, but I just don't get the reasoning on their part.

I would imagine the reasoning is quite obvious? This stunt just "bought" Double Fine a ton of goodwill and invaluable PR. Just look at the majority of the comments for this story.

Double Fine probably has the best reputation of any developer in the industry. Something tells me they don't need to go out of their way to create more ethos.

Edited by Cheesebob

I know that Dude! He was on an old forum I went to ages ago. The guy is a massive Double Fine Fan

Posted by Pudge

I'm still confused as to why they just picked this random guy to fly out to their studio, but OK cool? I guess?

Posted by S0ndor

@spilledmilkfactory said:

@pyromagnestir said:

I still don't get why they invited him, but it's awesome that they did.

It sure got all of us here talking about Cave, and how awesome Double Fine is.

Posted by OneManX

@stinky said:

....Sodium levels rising.

Posted by jillsandwich

That's rad as hell. Double Fine rules.

Posted by slot9

That was great!

Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN

Dude should've brought a better camera.

Posted by chrisremo

Hey guys, Chris Remo from Double Fine here! Some answers to questions:

- We brought Matt over because we thought it was a cool thing to do and also had kind of a hilarious origin. He had posted this thread in our forums that said "The Cave: start speculating now!" and nobody actually started speculating--the thread totally fizzled. So we thought this would be a funny consolation prize. We also didn't want to do it as a "contest" where people felt bad about not being picked, so we just did it more quietly.

- We didn't use any of the Kickstarter money for this. The Cave as a project is unrelated to Double Fine Adventure, except that we're making both of them and they're both adventure games. We paid for this trip completely separately.

- I was wearing an Irrational hoodie because I used to work at Irrational and it just happened to be what I was wearing that day!

Posted by MiserableLittlePileOfSecrets

Wait. So they just flew him down there and gave him a tour of the studio just because they felt like it? That's pretty rad.

Posted by Spiritof

I don't think I could have stood in the same room with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert without pissing myself (on purpose).

Posted by DeltaDreamer

@rjayb89: Amen

Posted by SkullcrusherMountain

Brad Muir is so pretty.

Posted by Pozo

@Hashbrowns:

Ah, that makes even more sense.

Thanks.

Posted by artofwar420

That's awesome of them.

Posted by AssInAss
Posted by Red12b

@chrisremo:

you guys are fucking awesome man.

Posted by ElixirBronze

The only one roaming around the office with a beer... looks about right.

Posted by Azteck

Brad Muir is my favorite non-staff duder.

Posted by Marshermallow

Brad Muir is too good!

Posted by FLStyle

@chrisremo said:

Hey guys, Chris Remo from Double Fine here! Some answers to questions:

- We brought Matt over because we thought it was a cool thing to do and also had kind of a hilarious origin. He had posted this thread in our forums that said "The Cave: start speculating now!" and nobody actually started speculating--the thread totally fizzled. So we thought this would be a funny consolation prize. We also didn't want to do it as a "contest" where people felt bad about not being picked, so we just did it more quietly.

- We didn't use any of the Kickstarter money for this. The Cave as a project is unrelated to Double Fine Adventure, except that we're making both of them and they're both adventure games. We paid for this trip completely separately.

- I was wearing an Irrational hoodie because I used to work at Irrational and it just happened to be what I was wearing that day!

Hurray! Mysteries solved. Welcome to Giant Bomb.

Edited by ChrisTilton

My God. They've gone to PLAID!

Posted by DrJota

It's rare to find footage of a wild Muir in captivity.Truly stunning.

Posted by t0y

Does anyone have a link to the thread he posted? if so how many replies did it get?

• 142 results