89 Comments
  • 89 results
Posted by OperationPrometheus

Here is my problem with lists like these. Games have evolved so much over the past 25 years that comparing these games is like comparing apples and oranges. I mean really. What is the point of putting up Bioshock and Tetris and trying to compare them. You just can't. It would be more approriate to do lists of Top 100 Games in the Past 10 Years, or something like that. Comparing games that come out 25 years apart is near impossible.

Oh and I actually agree with whoever said putting all these Mario games on these lists just because of what they "did for the gaming industry" is complete bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I love and enjoy Mario games as much as the next guy, but Super Mario Brothers as the best game of All-Time??? I just don't see it.

Posted by Zleunamme

If Angry Birds is half way on that list, it is total garbage. We should be thankful that Giant Bomb never does stupid lists like 1UP does to generate page views. Who cares what G4 thinks, fuck them.

Posted by PandaBear

@Irvandus said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@SexualBubblegumX said:

It's G4 what do you expect?

This.

Yep.

Batman.

Posted by HisDudeness

No Secret of Monkey Island, no Freedom Fighters, no Homeworld 2, no Half-Life 2...

Posted by ch3burashka

If anyone isn't yet tired of reading everyone else's thoughts on yet another top 100 games list, check out my blog.

Link.

Posted by triple07

@MocBucket62: I didn't see the edited section when I posted that, sorry. I was mostly talking about your blog but I've seen quite a few of these things over the years I've been following video games so its kinda a rant on my part.

Glad that you can see that these lists are pretty silly though since everyone will have a different opinion.

Posted by ManMadeGod

Well, at-least they gave Shadow of the Colossus the top 10 love that it deserves.

Posted by Alkaiser

It is the nineties. And it's time for burgers.

Posted by Bulby33

I stopped reading it when I saw Angry Birds.

Posted by Kaiserreich

Top 3 opinions of G4

1. It's stupid
  2. it sucks
  3. I hate it
Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

@jonnyboy said:

It's click bait. It's designed to people arguing on their forums, which means clicks, which means revenue from embedded advertisers. It's why top 100 lists exist.

^This

The best thing you can do is to ignore it completely.

..... Wait..... Half-life 1 beat out Half-life 2? Justice is- :D

*Lightning Bolt* X_X

Posted by Dalai

I have a lot of issues with this list like everybody else. First of all, I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but the top 10 is way too Nintendo-heavy. And the one game I believe deserves the top 10 spot at minimum is #38. I mean, I've never seen Super Metroid ranked this low on a top 100 list and G4 should be ashamed of itself. 

Also, no Earthbound or SimCity. Fuck this list.

Posted by TheDudeOfGaming

I started clicking, my index finger was ready. As i reached #20 I was still looking for Planescape Torment, any of the Age of Empires games and either of the first 2 Fallout games. As I reached #10 I knew I wasn't going to find them.

So, fuck G4 and fuck that list.

Posted by MordeaniisChaos

@SexualBubblegumX said:

It's a top something list, what do you expect?

Fixed.

Posted by jewunit

@MocBucket62: Exactly. This list is an aggregation of a number of different opinions. In the end, they actually did a good job of mixing old and new games into the list. Burger Time and Angry Birds have equal right to be on this list, but they are on there for very different reasons. The fun in a list like this one has been borne out in this thread: looking at what did and didn't make it and discussing why. As you said, no one is going to have the same top 100 games. The process of assigning rank to so many great games is a substantial chore and not really worthwhile. The real fun is in the discussion after the list is made.

Edited by MocBucket62
@triple07: Um, are you saying this in response to my blog, the community's responses, or both? I did put an edit section on the bottom saying that I felt stupid about getting mad over this list in the first place. No list will ever match your list for best games or movies or whatever and you're right, we shouldn't feel too upset about a list or opinion that disagrees with our opinions or tastes.
Posted by triple07

I'm literally outraged that G4 would dare to put up a list of their top video games because it isn't what I would have picked so therefore it is complete bullshit! I mean how dare they not put Brute Force on that list? Brute Force is the single greatest achievement in human history.

For serious though putting a list of top 100 games is pointless and stupid but getting upset over it or giving it any real thought whatsoever is even more pointless and stupid.

Posted by flindip

@Ben_H said:

They better have Blades of Steel on that list. That is by far the best sports game of all time.

I'm a MASSIVE hockey fan, and, in terms of influence, Temco Bowl is a much more important game.

Posted by Ben_H

They better have Blades of Steel on that list. That is by far the best sports game of all time.

Posted by Red

The list kinda seems to be based on what games had the most influence on developers. While I don't think Angry Birds is a great game, it legitimized cell-phone gaming and caused a complete shift in the portable games market.

Regardless, Top (anything) lists of all time are ridiculous. How can anyone compare Mass Effect 2 to Asteroids?

Wait a second...what if the Mass Effect franchise is just an Asteroids spin-off? What if the asteroids ship is actually the Normandy? I'm on to something now, aren't I?

The only time such lists are appropriate are if it's someone's personal favorite games of all time, in which case it's more about describing the individual's tastes instead of telling the public what their tastes should be.

Posted by usgrovers

Being G4, I expected five different Call of Duty games in the top five. Even though that isn't true, this list is terrible...

Where is?

• Eternal Darkness?
  • Metroid Prime?
  • Grim Fandango?
  • Super Mario RPG?
  • Half-life 2?
  • Sim City?
  • ... several more games I can't think of right now?

Bioshock and GoldenEye aren't top 10 (imo) and Civ II and Super Metroid need to be much higher.

Edited by _Zombie_

@SexualBubblegumX said:

Seriously. Bullshittery like this is pretty much G4 company policy. You shouldn't be that surprised.

Edited by Gabriel

There top ten isn't bad, Grand Theft Auto 3 should be top 5, Bioshock is pretty good but not good enough to be 3. LOL at Uncharted 2 at 14 that's laughable.

Posted by Legend

Angry Birds ranked higher than Deus Ex. Bwahahahahahahahaha

Posted by Discoman

I like how they'll pick a game to represent an entire series, but there is no rhyme or reason why. Rockband 3 over 1? I didn't even know there was a Rockband 3. They picked GTA 4 over 3; which one changed sandbox games? Fallout 3 trumps 1 and 2 for some reason. Day of the Tentacle over Maniac Mansion.

Sim City isn't on the list? Dune 2? Warcraft 2? Half Life 2? No Company of Heroes? Not a single game of the Total War series. No Secret of Monkey's Island is there. Devil May Cry ain't there.

Oh and I just noticed, the mobile phone version of Scrabble made it on the list. They'd have more dignity if they put Chessmaster.

I'm really happy that Sessler got out of that shitheap of a TV channel.

Posted by jking47

List is so bad its funny. Wii Sports at 84 but Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn is 90?? Also, madden wtf.

Posted by Viking_Funeral

That's a really bad list.

Oh, well. Just one more reason to ignore G4.

Posted by poopypants

double dragon is on the list so i'm happy

Posted by jonnyboy

It's click bait. It's designed to people arguing on their forums, which means clicks, which means revenue from embedded advertisers. It's why top 100 lists exist.

Edited by MetalGearSunny
@SexualBubblegumX said:

I lost all respect for G4 when Sessler left. 

Also, it's the same site that gave Deadly Premonition a 4 out of 5. Unironically.
Posted by PenguinDust

It's as valid a list as this one: My Best 155 videogames ever created list

I'm not going to quibble over placement of games when dealing with a list so large. My list would be different, too but whose wouldn't?

Posted by OneManX

Yo, you'll live.

Posted by BoG

Angry Birds? Really? The best games of all time should acheive much more than simply being popular.

Edited by WarlordPayne

@RenMcKormack said:

@CookieMonster said:

"This list sucks because my favourite game isn't in it!!!111" is a downright silly opinion and to get angry at it is pointless. Its a list of their top 100 games, whats the point of ranting about it? Who gives a shit if they don't like the games you like?

I would like to know why Asteroids is fourth though.

Because asteroids is mad good son. and also you can play it on a piece of paper. I think Jeff has said this before but objectively, isn't Tetris the best game of all time? its out on every platform everyone can play it and everyone loves it.

Everyone does not love Tetris. And while I won't argue that it couldn't be #1 based on popularity I, personally, would never place it anywhere near that high. Tetris is only fun if you enjoy trying to beat high scores, otherwise it's boring as hell.

Posted by SmilingPig

I completely agree with the list O.o

Posted by PSNgamesun

wow i expected ZeldaOOT n RE4 to be 1 n 2......thats actually my tops lol

Posted by JJOR64

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@SexualBubblegumX said:

This.

Posted by Helios1337

At a glance most of those listed are really good games, but when you start looking closer you realize the complete lack of certain genres and the numbered ranking is a joke. Even in a good list though, it will get picked apart and hated on.

Posted by gorkamorkaorka

Wait, what is the point of this list anyway?

Edited by not_a_bumblebee

Top Anything List are interesting and fun.  One thing to keep in mind is they ultimately boil down to opinion and you really should just relax.   At best they can raise a fun conversation and make you take a look at a thing you haven't heard of or ignored.   At worst a Top List attracts typical internet bullshit.   

Posted by flindip

@RTSlord said:

Halo 3 is in the 20s. their argument is in-fucking-valid.

also, i wonder what GB's top 100 list would look like, too bad it'd take forever for them to do it

That is one of the biggest head scratchers on the list. Fuck, it shouldn't even be on the list.

Posted by RTSlord

Halo 3 is in the 20s. their argument is in-fucking-valid.

also, i wonder what GB's top 100 list would look like, too bad it'd take forever for them to do it

Posted by MocBucket62
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Half of this list reads like a greatest hits, and the other half looks like a "What's Hot!" list from USA Today (or some such newspaper). Anyway, at least Spike TV isn't doing a top 100 li-

Oh.

Eh, I may look at that and see if its better than G4's. Also, I don't plan on making another Top 100 game rant blog on here again considering certain negative comments on this blog.
Edited by flindip

@RenMcKormack said:

@CookieMonster said:

"This list sucks because my favourite game isn't in it!!!111" is a downright silly opinion and to get angry at it is pointless. Its a list of their top 100 games, whats the point of ranting about it? Who gives a shit if they don't like the games you like?

Because asteroids is mad good son. and also you can play it on a piece of paper. I think Jeff has said this before but objectively, isn't Tetris the best game of all time? its out on every platform everyone can play it and everyone loves it.

I don't think its crazy to say Tetris could be #1, its certainly one of the most proliferating titles of all time. You can make an argument. Not sure if its the most innovative in terms of game design. But I wouldn't freak out if someone put that at #1.

Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1

Half of this list reads like a greatest hits, and the other half looks like a "What's Hot!" list from USA Today (or some such newspaper). Anyway, at least Spike TV isn't doing a top 100 li-

Oh.

Posted by brownsfantb

@flindip said:

@brownsfantb said:

Goldeneye was great and all but has anybody gone back and tried to play it in the last 5 years? Doesn't hold up at all. Certainly doesn't deserve to be in the top 10.

See, to me that is meaningless, Goldeneye should be on a top 100, and you can make an argument for that being in the top 10(not sure if it should be). It was pretty much the first major FPS game on consoles.

I'm fine with it being in the Top 100 but not the Top 10. To me, a Top 10 game should be something that you can go back and play at any time and still have fun with it. When me and my friends tried to play Goldeneye last year, we gave up after 15 mins because it was so frustrating.

Posted by gorkamorkaorka

Half-Life 2 should have been number one, and while important, Super Mario Bros. is probably the worst traditional Mario game.

Posted by RenMcKormack

@CookieMonster said:

Posted by TheHumanDove

@SexualBubblegumX said:

Posted by MocBucket62
@flindip said:

I totally understand the first game getting on the list. But come the fuck on G4.

Yeah I was going to point out that in my blog, but decided not to. That is really weird that 3 Zelda games are that close to each other on this list and all three are in the Top 11.
  • 89 results