152 Comments
  • 152 results
Posted by JustinAquarius

@Xymox: yes now they are more sandy-browns.

Posted by confideration
@CH3BURASHKA said:

@ManlyBeast said:

Dammit vinny you should of never had a baby. Now pat has to do EVERY quick look.

If we all pitch in, I'm sure we could buy Patrick a baby.

I got 5 on it
Posted by oasisbeyond

A Spec Op game, cz we all know Spec Op games are amazing... Silly dev's think calling their game from a terrible franchise then calling it something new... Oh, rappelling enemies... We haven't seen this before.

Posted by wjb

I keep on hearing Jerry Lawler in the comm; I think I'm going crazy.

Edited by falling_fast

that's jimi hendrix version of the star spangled banner, right?

anyways, this game looks really goddamn stupid and derivative and just mediocre. As if the publisher got fed up and forced whoever to just make the safest game possible. :/

Posted by Grilledcheez

Looks boring!

Posted by Napalm

Yeah, this game is really intense.

Posted by AssInAss
@avidwriter

@AssInAss said:

GTA 4 trailer much?

Yeah except his face is getting fucked up!
Posted by kishinfoulux

So tired of Nolan North...ugh.

Posted by TheHumanDove

So patrick is in every quicklook now? He's fine and all but WHERES THE DIVERSITY OF PERSONALITIES!?!?

Posted by prestonhedges

Ugh. The best Quick Looks are when they just react to what's going on-screen and don't overanalyze the game mechanics like they're doing a video review. We can work out if the game looks good or not on our own, guys. And, like, you guys are doing a review of it. Why would I go read it when I can just watch this?

Posted by Slab64

@gladspooky said:

Ugh. The best Quick Looks are when they just react to what's going on-screen and don't overanalyze the game mechanics like they're doing a video review. We can work out if the game looks good or not on our own, guys. And, like, you guys are doing a review of it. Why would I go read it when I can just watch this?

Because...he's not finished yet? But don't let that get in the way of you complaining about everyfuckingthing on this site.

Posted by tourgen

well good to hear they tried something a little different with the story

looks like they should have priced it around $30-$40 at release though and maybe cut the multiplayer

Edited by Shovat

@Slab64 said:

don't let that get in the way of you complaining about everyfuckingthing on this site.

Red and grey? How can they expect people to take them seriously with that forum color choice. Don't get me started on the fact that you can't read the comments unless you click on the image for the quick looks. Something something Patrick.

Am I doing it right? I just want to fit in here.

Posted by Cuban_Legend

well, at least now I have a better Idea as to whether I should be purchasing this game or not. :)

Posted by Oginam

I think this looks just fine in the single player. Wonder what other shooters look better (exempting uncharted cause they're kind of the high water mark right now).

Posted by d00dCOMEON

ok i get they hired patrick to have some sort of credibility

but couldnt they hire someone who knew how to carry a conversation, for videos that last 40 mins?

seriously, he doesn't know how to talk or be entertaining in the slightest,

Posted by Slab64

@Shovat said:

@Slab64 said:

don't let that get in the way of you complaining about everyfuckingthing on this site.

Red and grey? How can they expect people to take them seriously with that forum color choice. Don't get me started on the fact that you can't read the comments unless you click on the image for the quick looks. Something something Patrick.

Am I doing it right? I just want to fit in here.

You're a goddamn savant.

Posted by Keldrath

This game looks like a sub-par R6: Vegas 2. That game was great, this game looks not so great.

Edited by Abendlaender

@TheHumanDove said:

So patrick is in every quicklook now? He's fine and all but WHERES THE DIVERSITY OF PERSONALITIES!?!?

Yes, from now on Patrick will be in every Quick Look ever. There will even be Quicklooks where he just talks to himself for 30-40 minutes which is a good training for him, because in the future he will also be the only one on the Bombcast. Also GiantBomb will be renamend, presumably in "GiantPatrick.com" or "Patrickisthebomb.com"

Seriously what's going on here? I can't even imagine how much whining will go on here if they post another Quicklook with Brad playing and Patrick watching. Presumably the internet would explode.

Or my head

@Shovat:

Fit in? If I didn't know any better, I would guess you've been here all your life. Good job, you pretty much nailed it.

Posted by CaptRocketblaze

This game could have been saved by replacing the military guys with '90's era pimps, changing this "Konrad" guy into the "No. 1 Ho" & calling it "Sand Ops: Real Fine."

Posted by TheHumanDove

@Abendlaender said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Yes, from now on Patrick will be in every Quick Look ever. There will even be Quicklooks where he just talks to himself for 30-40 minutes which is a good training for him, because in the future he will also be the only one on the Bombcast. Also GiantBomb will be renamend, presumably in "GiantPatrick.com" or "Patrickisthebomb.com"

Seriously what's going on here? I can't even imagine how much whining will go on here if they post another Quicklook with Brad playing and Patrick watching. Presumably the internet would explode.

Or my head

@Shovat:

Fit in? If I didn't know any better, I would guess you've been here all your life. Good job, you pretty much nailed it.

Well I for one dont want to live on that planet

Edited by buckybit

4 min in, I already feel the urge to defend this game. Jeff said the game looks "visually bad".

Of course, it is his opinion. But for my taste, the PC version looks anything but "visually bad". IMHO, they pull some nice tricks and tweaks on the UE3 engine, and there is a level of technical detail (rendering-, light-, filter-effects, aliasing) you can appreciate, if you have the eye for it?

• the game has a story ( as mentioned many times, based on Joseph Conrad Heart of Darkness - worth reading! - which is a nice pitch, by any means - hooked me.)
  • it runs on PC
  • it uses DX11
  • it runs with a gamepad (cuz it's a console-style shooter - I don't mind that rumblin' as a PC gamer)

[edit]

... but there's one thing, I cannot defend: this is a 'brown shooter' (btw, why isn't that a GB-wiki-page/list?)- even though it is has the most colorful, nicest shades of brown? ;)

Posted by Zaxex

Bioshock: Dubai would be so fitting. Lots of rich people, disconnected from the rest of the world, a dangerous natural element and shit goes bad.

Any apocalyptic game set there could be interesting, or some sort of survival game, surrounded by wealth but all you need is water.

Posted by paulunga

No Quick Look EX with Greg? I'm disappointed.

Posted by Humanity

I was hoping they were going to shit all over this - apparently a generic military shooter is more interesting than a generic sci fi shooter.

Posted by paulunga

Or wait, even better, Quick Look Ex with Greg. Get it?

Posted by Krelwy

you have no idea how happy I was when Jeff mentioned Nico Bellic. that was my immediate thought when I saw him.

Posted by Vigorousjammer

That single player actually looks pretty great. I actually think the visuals in it look fairly well done.

Of course, once they went into the multiplayer, that's where it all fell apart...

I haven't bought a game for $60 in a long time, and I definitely won't for this... but it seems like something I'd likely pick up for $20 or $30

Posted by LobsterVendetta

As I've been doing for over a year now, I rent games first then I buy them if I really enjoy them. From what I played in the demo and have seen and read of it so far, I think Spec Ops: The Line may quickly go into the buy list. $60 may seem like much for a game that only has single player going for it, but at the same time I want more games that focus their efforts on single player and story, so I am willing to support that.

Posted by Razputin

@banquos_revenge: From the sound of it the game is basically what Apocalypse Now was to "Heart of Darkness" but in videogame form.

I hope they didn't screw it up!

Edited by Sooty

The constant re-use of voice actors in this industry is really quite ridiculous and gives more weight to the viewpoint that the industry is all about who's buddies with who. Nolan North, sure he's good but COME ON.

@buckybit said:

4 min in, I already feel the urge to defend this game. Jeff said the game looks "visually bad".

Of course, it is his opinion. But for my taste, the PC version looks anything but "visually bad". IMHO, they pull some nice tricks and tweaks on the UE3 engine, and there is a level of technical detail (rendering-, light-, filter-effects, aliasing) you can appreciate, if you have the eye for it?

• the game has a story ( as mentioned many times, based on Joseph Conrad Heart of Darkness - worth reading! - which is a nice pitch, by any means - hooked me.)
  • it runs on PC
  • it uses DX11
  • it runs with a gamepad (cuz it's a console-style shooter - I don't mind that rumblin' as a PC gamer)

[edit]

... but there's one thing, I cannot defend: this is a 'brown shooter' (btw, why isn't that a GB-wiki-page/list?)- even though it is has the most colorful, nicest shades of brown? ;)

You're joking right? Even on PC this game looks pretty terrible visually.

Ugly, bland, uninspired, the lot.

Posted by FoxMulder

Looks boring.

Edited by Xymox

This quick look had a surprisingly low amount of Toto.

@JustinAquarius said:

@Xymox: yes now they are more sandy-browns.

haha, exactly! :)

Posted by Rorie

So, Rainbow Six: Vegas: Dubai?

Staff
Posted by dropabombonit

Early nomination's for the Northies. Although Troy Baker deserves his own award category soon, he has been in more games recently than Nolan North

Edited by CptBedlam

I don't think this looks bad. Not every game has to raise the bar graphically and this looks kinda interesting scenario-wise to be honest. I like the Apocalypse Now in the sand-vibe and hey, there aren't many action games with a good story out there. The soundtrack is also a plus.

I'll probably get the game after the first price drop.

Posted by spandexmonkey

Gears of Duty?

Posted by altairre

@buckybit said:

• it runs on PC
  • it uses DX11

[edit]

I played it on the PC with maxed out settings and it looks pretty bad. It is also extremely generic and bland, at least the parts the demo showed.

Posted by AndrewB

The review opener writes itself.

The line must be drawn HERE!

This far; no farther!

Posted by fisk0

Can't help but wonder how this would've been received if it was released 2 or 3 years ago as planned - before there was this extreme fatigue about both the gameplay and setting of this style of game. The Heart of Darkness inspired story still intrigues me, but I really don't enjoy coverbasedthirdpersonmilitaryshooters. Still considering picking it up for the story alone, as I have been interested in that part since I first heard about it years ago now, but it's hard to shake the feeling that the genre has been stomping the same ground so long that not even a great or at least interesting story can do much for it now.

Posted by blacklab

I'm constantly amazed at how good Jeff is at playing these games and keeping a running commentary going.

Posted by Daiphyer

Hey, people? Mass Effect's shooting is COMPLETELY FINE! And what's so great about Gears of War's shooting mechanics?! Why is it THE game to compare other third-person shooters to? I actually dislike the shooting in Gears of War with all those bullet-sponge enemies. There is NOTHING, NOTHING special about Gears of War's shooting.

God this pisses me off.

/Rant.

Posted by Vorbis

This should of been advertised as Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness the videogame, not a cover based shooter with sand.

Perhaps it was but this is the first time I've heard of those comparisons and it actually seems interesting, just a shame about the third person shooter part.

Posted by MeatSim

The multiplayer seems like a waste but I might pick this up out of the bargain bin sometime to check out the campaign.

Posted by Max_Cherry

Yeah, it's a complete reimagining of Heart of Darkness. The developer was upfront with that information since the beginning. The only connection with Apocalypse Now is indirect. They are just based on the same thing. Although the last time I saw Apocalypse Now was a good 10 years ago (on my trusty LaserDisk player); I don't believe Larry Fishburne get's an arrow through the heart in this one (insert clip here).

Edited by thornie

Ugh. I wish these games were $29.99 or cheaper. I, like pretty much everyone else am so sick of these kinds of games. 8-10 hour campaign, shoot some dudes, uninteresting multiplayer. zzZZZzzz. This is one of those games I'll pick up on steam for 6 bucks two years from now on a summer sale.

With so much competition out there for our entertainment dollar, publishers will have to do more than release the same game over and over again with a slightly different coat of paint. Or, maybe I'm wrong and this game will sell a million copies and shut us all up.

Posted by Melos

Since the topic has come up, I would love more input on what makes a game visually good or bad for others. I'm really starting to feel out of touch because lately a lot of games that I think look nice are apparently considered ugly. What is it exactly that ruins the look of Spec Ops: The Line, for instance? I can see the poor design in the multi-player, but not the campaign. Perhaps the problem doesn't translate even in HD video -- is it jagged edges, low quality textures, frame rate? Or do you just notice something in the animation or an over-use of the same assets and can't tune it out? I think the lighting is quite nice, and there are some distinct colors being used from all over the wheel. Does a game have to have cartoon levels of color saturation in order to not be called "brown?" Maybe it's all a matter of style, nothing so technical. I get that the look may be forgettable, but ordinary shouldn't equate to bad craftsmanship. I'm not necessarily saying there is no good reason to think that this game has bad graphics, I just can't see any glaring flaws. It might just be that I'm too forgiving these days, having lived through rudimentary sprites and the chunky polygon era of gaming. If that's the case, please help me see what makes this game ugly.

Posted by Lysergica33

@Sooty said:

The constant re-use of voice actors in this industry is really quite ridiculous and gives more weight to the viewpoint that the industry is all about who's buddies with who. Nolan North, sure he's good but COME ON.

That is pretty much true of the entertainment industry at large. It's not what you can do, but who you know. Nolan North is a decent voice actor, but he suffers the same problem as all well known actors do, you stop seeing the character but the actor portraying the character. I didn't see whatever the hell the guys name was in Wanted, I saw Morgan Freeman being admittedly badass as hell. I didn't see Ethan Hunt in MI3, I saw Tom Cruise. Etc etc.

Having said that, I'm actually kind of interested in this. The gameplay looks really rather dull, but the narrative looks like it could be quite gripping once you forgive the modern 3rd person cover shooter trappings and let yourself get lost in it.

Looks like a good one for late nights and candles. I may pick this up within the next few days in fact.

Posted by Max_Cherry

@Drebin_893 said:

Some nice Hendrix 'Star Spangled Banner' in the background there.

I was at Woodstock as a 21 y/o kid. It was pretty awful; it wouldn't stop raining, almost all the really good bands canceled, and the LSD was bad. So, I left early and missed Jimmy Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner at the very end. Instead, I almost hit a fucking dragon and died on the way home (I was on drugs).

• 152 results