160 Comments
  • 160 results
Posted by Draxyle

@Marino said:

Door Guy!

Oh damn, that is him. Well no one got murdered since then, so I think he's cool with us.

Posted by ChosenOne

@PJ said:

@ChosenOne said:

What are they doing for TNT today?

It was supposed to be PSO2 but servers are down so they are doing BURNOUT PARADISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much appreciated.

Posted by avidwriter

Just release it on Steam too and I'll be happy.

Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY

i needs me a surface

Posted by kpaadet

@Duffyside said:

I get frustrated seeing the press play favorites, not because of game quality, but because of their relationships with developers. I've been hearing about this game for like two years now, and it's still not even out. I've literally checked the GB page for this game probably ten times in the last year from all that I've heard about it.

Yeah I agree, unfortunately Giantbomb does it all the time.

Posted by lightsoda

Windows 8, wut? Should be interesting.

Posted by Vigorousjammer

17-Bit is an awesome name for a game company.

It's pretty awesome that they make cool looking games too. :P

Edited by Kosayn

It's good they explained how the double tap is default for direct movement. I had thought maybe he was double tapping to make sure it registered, as though it were on the level of the DS touch screen.

The game... I dunno, seems like they're going the wrong direction for me. I like stuff that goes in the Fire Emblem direction of focusing on the rules rather than minimizing them, and stylish characters rather than... urgh... motion comic characters. Who honestly likes the motion comic style.

But to be fair, I'll give any SRPG the benefit of the doubt. It's my favorite genre. Just hope there is some persistent progress involved, and the units aren't completely standardized.

Posted by ManMadeGod

Game looks fun: going to pick it up for WP when it comes out.

Posted by The_Hiro_Abides
Posted by mellotronrules

good grief there's a lot of unfocused bile in these comments- and such variety! patrick, quick looks, the mannerisms of the developers, windows 8, the surface, microsoft, the game itself...you guys should cheer the fuck up! or you know, avoid videos you'll hate.

Edited by clapperdude

Great job locking your game to win8.

When microsoft finally forces me to 'upgrade' to this garbage maybe I'll try out your game :)

Posted by Duffyside

@TehJedicake said:

@Terjay said:

@CrazyBagMan said:

@Terjay said:

So uh... How many Quick Look EXs we need about this particular game?

So you want less content? Am I understanding you?

If said content is as useless as this video, then yes.

Ohhh! Of course, sorry sorry, we forgot that you're taste in gaming and content is the only one that matters on the website. It won't happen again, and next time Giantbomb plans on making a video, they'll be sure to ask you if you're interested in the game.

How about a compromise of them doing quick looks on some Vita games, since apparently the policy of "over-the-shoulder cams suck and we're not going to do them" is out the door now?

Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam

Ryan was actually player 4, using the as-of-yet unrevealed MSCam(R) version of Skulls.

Edited by Beaudacious

Async play seems really cool, the 17bit guys seem really cool, unfortunately Skulls of the Shogun isn't pulling me in.

Posted by Krrutch

@mellotronrules said:

good grief there's a lot of unfocused bile in these comments- and such variety! patrick, quick looks, the mannerisms of the developers, windows 8, the surface, microsoft, the game itself...you guys should cheer the fuck up! or you know, avoid videos you'll hate.

but life is so hard! i want what i want!

Posted by clapperdude

@mellotronrules said:

How is talking about win8 (the os required to play it on pc) and more importantly "the game itself" unfocused?

Posted by mekon

@mellotronrules said:

seconded.

Edited by Quantical

Guess what. I can just do this on a PC anyway.

Edited by mnzy
@Vigorousjammer said:

17-Bit is an awesome name for a game company.

It's pretty awesome that they make cool looking games too. :P

Their logo is the best. 

@wrecks  said: 

@Ghost407http://www.fangamer.net/products/17-bit

:)

Not the gold one :/  
Thanks anyway, though
Posted by mekon

@clapperdude said:

@mellotronrules said:

How is talking about win8 (the os required to play it on pc) and more importantly "the game itself" unfocused?

Taking your two points - not so much constructive criticism here about win 8 so far, mainly people saying they don't want it. Well fine to that, but a lot of devices (PC/phone/tablet) will ship with a bundled version of Windows 8 installed because people won't care enough to ask for a downgrade to PC Win 7, or it won't be a viable option anyway for phone/tablet.

The game itself has already been described at length in a previous QL, so the focus of the interview was how it works on Surface and how the game can integrate with other platforms. That doesn't seem too bad an idea to me, and to whine about clicking a Dig Deeper link is a bit much. I personally don't want to spend the extra time listening to the devs talking about the core game if I can opt out and see it in action on Surface.

I do have a concern though, if the multiplayer support is lacking in certain areas, then it would be a good idea for the devs to be focusing on that. But in that case I wouldn't really expect them to be proud enough to shout about it.

Edited by mellotronrules

@mekon said:

@clapperdude said:

@mellotronrules said:

Taking your two points - not so much constructive criticism here about win 8 so far, mainly people saying they don't want it.

what melkon said. yeah, windows 8 might totally be the absolute worst thing ever conceived by man, but until it's retail- it's too early to pass judgement. same goes for the game itself. unless, you know, you're into being judgmental. also- i totally get people being upset that the game is locked to a platform that's perceived to be mediocre. you're right, that's a potential bummer. but welcome to videogames, where platform exclusives aren't that uncommon.

and as for the other stuff- complaining about patrick, the voice of the developer, the production of the quick look, etc...allow me to impart an impassioned 'grow the fuck up.' as much fun as it is to spew misdirected negativity, i think you'll find it makes you a terrible person.

Posted by kalmia64

Nice job hosting Patrick and excellent camera work Mr. Davis!

Posted by clapperdude

@mellotronrules: @mekon:

My point is that this seems like a totally appropriate place to discuss both win8 and the game itself. The other stuff is off topic/irrelevant sure...but these 2 things are completely on.

For example : I was interested in this game a few years ago when I saw it here. Now I see its locked to win8. I won't be getting win8 until its forced upon me to do so. This means I won't be playing this game anytime soon unfortunately. I think its a bad move on their part. -- this seems like a proper place as any to say something like that

Edited by mellotronrules

@clapperdude:

i hear you. the ad hominem stuff isn't directed at you. it seems to me (and correct me if i'm wrong) that your real issue is with the exclusivity of title as opposed to windows 8 itself. i mean, i get that windows 8 and it's perceived quality (or lack thereof) might be the thing standing in the way of your purchase- but really, a lack of a start button, dvr functionality, or the metro interface isn't going to have any bearing on a fullscreen videogame.

i mean, you could make the same argument vis-a-vis not buying journey because it's locked to the ps3. maybe i don't like the ps3 cuz they patched out backwards compatibility. yes, that sucks, but does it have any bearing on the ps3's ability to play new games? or am i just pissed because it's only available on a platform i don't care for?

ultimately, i think it's about a distaste for platform exclusivity. and that's a fine opinion to express. but that's a much larger, older, and frankly more tired argument about the business practices of digital entertainment, which is PROBABLY beyond the confines of a quicklook discussion. and it certainly isn't limited to windows 8, the surface, and skulls of the shogun.

Posted by twillfast

This video is.. interesting. Has Giantbomb made any QL's for iPad games? I mean, I'd like to see some cool iPad games, but I thought they didn't think of it as a gaming platform. Is this different or is it just okay because it's Microsoft? If they're gonna make smart glass QL's a regular thing.. I don't know man. It's just interesting. I'd rather have NDX back. Get on the train. Choo choo.

Posted by clapperdude

@mellotronrules said:

@clapperdude:

it seems to me (and correct me if i'm wrong) that your real issue is with the exclusivity of title as opposed to windows 8 itself

Well no actually I'm specifically opposed to win8 itself (on PC I mean...on handhelds it makes more sense). Theres a lot of reasons why, and I felt that filling up a page with my opinions on win8 would be more offtopic then just saying what the decision of them going with that OS will result in me doing (or not doing in this case).

I do think exclusivity is fine tho as long as it makes sense for the product. Like a dev being better at working with X system, or X having some feature the others don't etc. I think this move is poor tho because it doesn't stand to benefit the game or the customer. Like -- as a PC user playing this game on win8 -- it isn't going to give me anything extra that couldn't be done on vista/7. All it does for the customer is make them have to buy an OS. For the developer tho it surely played a part in making a deal. Which I guess you know...good for them. But I'm a customer. And this does nothing positive for me.

I suppose this fits in with the 'tired argument' you mentioned...but its how I feel :)

Edited by mekon

@clapperdude said:

@mellotronrules: @mekon:

My point is that this seems like a totally appropriate place to discuss both win8 and the game itself. The other stuff is off topic/irrelevant sure...but these 2 things are completely on.

For example : I was interested in this game a few years ago when I saw it here. Now I see its locked to win8. I won't be getting win8 until its forced upon me to do so. This means I won't be playing this game anytime soon unfortunately. I think its a bad move on their part. -- this seems like a proper place as any to say something like that

I took "the game itself" to be about the lack of gameplay footage, which was commented on a lot. I don't think that's an issue we can complain that much about, because the tagline for this vid is "Developers of the Microsoft Surface launch game drop by to show touch controls and asynchronous play". That's on the page for all to see, and that's pretty much what they did IMO. I expected tapping, and a fair amount of menu navigation to be included. The other QL is there for those who wanted to find out about gameplay techniques.

I do think it's fair to comment about the game running on PC Win 8 though, it was mentioned in the vid, and the exclusive release idea does suck. One of the devs was interviewed - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/12/follow-up-skulls-of-the-shoguns-win-8-debate/. He wasn't 100% impressed either, but my thinking is that as a small team working on a game for a number of years they'd probably be broke and needed MS's backing for their credibility to get financial support.

It was the quality of some comments that was lacking about PC Win 8, one rant even lead to a couple of people to respond that they felt more stupid after reading it. It didn't add anything, and that's the area where I feel the words "unfocused bile" seem like a fair description. (don't feed the trolls, I know)

Edited by mellotronrules

@clapperdude:

fair enough. i'd even go one step further and say exclusivity is never in the interests of the consumer. let's be real- it's about funding development and selling hardware- not passing on savings or value to the consumer. not to mention it only adds fuel to the most loathsome of arguments, which platform is the most superior.

here is a legitimate quesion, with direct bearing on the video: has windows 8 been proven to negatively impact one's gaming experience? so far the bulk of complaints seem to be around issues peripheral to gaming such as frontend, interface, user experience, 'appification,' etc. but have people found the backend to be inferior? are people getting terrible performance on windows 8 rigs? and if so can anyone point me to some reading? i'd genuinely like to educate myself on the matter.

Posted by TheMasterDS

I hope I can get this on Steam instead of whatever official Microsoft Store they're going to be on for sure. Because I trust Steam.

Posted by Evan_Buchholz

Ryan on a camera? Where am I.... what's in this drink- .....

Posted by csl316

All these guys seems super cool so I wish them the best.

Gonna be nice to finally play the damn thing. The big ass tablet seems right up my alley, too.

Posted by mrcraggle

@twillfast: This is probably a special case scenario as it's coming out on XBLA, Windows Phone (7 or 8 or both?) and Windows 8 that all play together. They also seem to be quite chummy so the 17 Bit guys probably went to them asking if they could show it off.

@TheMasterDS: I have a Windows Phone and the store there is fine but it will be a shitty thing to lock it down to just Windows 8. Maybe after a while they'll bring it to Steam. For this title, I imagine it may be for Windows 8 store on PC only as they are funding it and by putting it on Steam, MS will lose out on money that will go to Valve and it probably wouldn't have been on PC to begin with if it wasn't for MS wanting games for launch. It'll be interesting to see if they do let the game out on services such as Steam but I don't really see it happening as a lot of stuff that I've seen gaming wise that's coming to Windows 8 is a lot of mobile stuff like Cut the Rope or games that you would've normally see on PC being porting over such as Pinball FX 2 (although this is also coming out on phones).

Posted by Virtua_Ben

These guys are pretty cool. The one guy with the really raspy voice could be a Tom Waits cover singer.

Posted by TheGoatMan1

That tablet looks nice. Game looks interesting also.

Posted by Robopengy

How have you been making this for three years?! HOW?!

Posted by SmilingPig

The guy to the left as the voice of a 70 years old rabbi.

Posted by blacklab

WHO GAVE COOL BABY THE OLD E.

Posted by borut

@5eNintendan: You don't know what I've seen, kid.

Posted by NekuCTR

Yep, always looked like a tablet game to me. I guess they made a good decision? Never seemed interesting to me, and definitely not 3 years impressive.

Posted by SpicyRichter

That guys voice is out of control

Posted by Brad3000

Just FYI everyone. It has been said once in this comments section already but no one seemed to notice - THEY ARE NOT PLAYING ON A SURFACE. It is a Samsung Series 7 Slate. They have been available at retail for quite a while running Windows 7 and prior to the Surface announcement, were the primary device on which MS was showing off Windows 8. They are capable windows machines, running on a Core i5 with 4gigs of RAM. However Surface will probably spec out significantly below this particular machine if it wants to remain competitive with the iPad, as the Series 7 Slate retails between 1,200-1,500 USD. I have one that I use for my illustration job, as it has a Wacom digitizer interface in addition to the capacitive touch screen. I put Windows 8 on it for a little while and quickly reverted back to 7, as the Wacom drivers for Win 8 are all busted and there was no way to turn off finger touch, so drawing became a real chore. That said, if they can fix some of the issues with pen input, Windows 8 seemed to show some potential. It still feels like two different OSes slapped together, but if I was using the standard desktop for productivity at home and then reverting to Metro for on the go media consumption, I could see it working out. I just wish the two interfaces didn't clash so hard from a style and design perspective.

Posted by zeekthegeek

Looks like it plays like..well like a phone game. Not really that exciting and with my hands on time with Windows 8 I /know/ I won't be getting that so it's a pass.

Posted by Devil240Z

Wasn't there a QL:EX of this game over a year ago?

Posted by CaptRocketblaze

Microsoft scores another point in the war for my purchase of either a Macbook Air or an Ultrabook. Not due to this game specifically, but due to the potential of applications running well across different product classes.

Posted by TruthTellah

This game needs to be in my hands. This moment. It is right up my alley.

It's nice that they've taken their time, but as he said, "just get this bitch out". Amen, sir.

Posted by Vrikk

Why in God's name is there a forty of Old English in the background? I hope no one drinks that shit.

Posted by dropabombonit

I was distracted by Ryan in this quick look. Anyone else with me?

Posted by geirr

@dropabombonit said:

I was distracted by Ryan in this quick look. Anyone else with me?

Happily distracted.

Posted by HouseOfWolves

They need to change the typefaces with their extra time.

• 160 results