@patrickklepek said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

d

e

f

g

h

LMNOP

What the hell happened to I, J and K ? Seems the alphabet isn't safe from layoffs either...

What? How could they fire K? He's like the funniest person on staff.

I know, I'm still laughing from that crazy shit he pulled at the Christmas party last year. He was the best. Glad that I is going though, what a fucking dick he was.

Yup. Everything is me, me, me with that one.

Posted by Tricky69

@ProfessorEss said:

@Tricky69 said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

@Guyzea said:

@BeachThunder said:

@42manZ said:

@patrickklepek said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

d

e

f

g

h

LMNOP

What the hell happened to I, J and K ? Seems the alphabet isn't safe from layoffs either...

I know, I'm still laughing from that crazy shit he pulled at the Christmas party last year. He was the best. Glad that I is going though, what a fucking dick he was.

Posted by ProfessorEss

@Tricky69 said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

@Guyzea said:

@BeachThunder said:

@42manZ said:

@patrickklepek said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

d

e

f

g

h

LMNOP

Posted by Tricky69

@RainbowCarnage said:

@Guyzea said:

@BeachThunder said:

@42manZ said:

@patrickklepek said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

d

e

f

g

h

LMNOP

Posted by sins_of_mosin

Looks like they could of killed Surreal a long time ago.

Posted by MeesterO

No offense to Monolith, but the way they' ve handled Gotham City Impostors post release, I'm not surprised the staff got trimmed

Posted by dcsears

I loved Monolith's Gotham City Impostors (it's like Call of Duty, but fun!). I'm really hoping they weren't hit hard by these layoffs. As someone who has been getting into MOBA-ish like games lately (Monday Night Combat and Awesomenauts), I'm really interested in what Monolith is doing for the console friendly Lord of the Rings MOBA.

Posted by ValiantGrizzly

FUCK. Not Monolith :(

Posted by LiquidPrince

I half expected it to be Warner Vancouver.

Posted by fisk0

@jakob187 said:

NO! NOT MONOLITH AND SNOWBLIND!

My thoughts too. Two of the best developers of the late 90's/early 2000's.

Posted by StriderNo9

Staff reduction, nice way to dehumanize what happened.

Posted by SlapHappyJesus

I want another Condemned game.

Posted by MistaSparkle

Well, that's shit :(

Edited by Wes899

@sofacitysweetheart said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

Slow news day, but Patrick's gonna meet that quota somehow.

No? Having an article stating that there are layoffs in the video game industry is pretty substantial.

I must have missed the part where this was different from any other week? What about the studios that were hiring this week, maybe that should get it's own story too...

Do you do anything but bitch about this site? Why the fuck are you even here?

Everything but the pompous article writers and "defence-squad" community members (apparently) :D

In what way is Patrick pompous? And because people aren't jaded and bitchy like you they are on a defense squad?

Posted by jakob187

NO! NOT MONOLITH AND SNOWBLIND!

Posted by captainanderson

Shitty. Game developers in the Northwest seem to be dwindling. I feel sorry for any DigiPen graduates.

Posted by TheDudeOfGaming

This thread is Giantbomb forum history in the making. Imma just bookmark this so I can bump it 4 years later.

Posted by Lurkero

I guess this is a sign that if you are working at a game development studio you better keep your resume and portfolio updated so you can send it out ASAP.

Posted by GERALTITUDE

Ah, summer. Layoffs and lulls.

Posted by BestUsernameEver

@Winternet said:

@mrpandaman said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

@Guyzea said:

@BeachThunder said:

@42manZ said:

@patrickklepek said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

d

e

f

g

h

LMNOP

qrs

I . . I don't know the alphabet.

Posted by light_grenade

@casperhertzog said:

1. take studio who have succeeded in the past on their own projects

2. force them to make something out of some bullshit IP you own

3. if it fails proceed to step 4. if it hits run the ip into the ground and then proceed to step 4

4. destroy studio

Profit?

Posted by TheSouthernDandy
@sofacitysweetheart In all fairness you do bitch a lot. Pretty sure you've used the 'slow news week' thing more then once. And also this is news.
This really sucks :( I was hoping Monolith was working on Condemned 3. Hope those guys land on their feet.
Posted by 234r2we232

@yoshimitz707 said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

No? Having an article stating that there are layoffs in the video game industry is pretty substantial.

I must have missed the part where this was different from any other week? What about the studios that were hiring this week, maybe that should get it's own story too...

Everything but the pompous article writers and "defence-squad" community members (apparently) :D

Posted by Cloudenvy

Nooooooooooooo, not my Monolith!

Posted by Red12b
@sofacitysweetheart
Idiot
Posted by yoshimitz707

@OllyOxenFree said:

Posted by 234r2we232

@OllyOxenFree said:

Posted by OllyOxenFree

Posted by AssInAss

Well I guess that dashes any hopes for NOLF 3 ever happening.

Posted by BulimicBalzac

@RainbowCarnage: Blossom the hellflower it is a flower in which resides the pollen of pain and suffering. Which contains the nectar of regret, sorrow, and hate.

To the victor goes the spoils and in this case the spoils is a half-known assortment of rough, and rusty torture tools. These spoils go to the winner you... A winrar is you! CONGRATS.

P.S. Batman more like our stocks went... FLAT, MAN!!!!

P.P.S I'm so sorry

Posted by NTM

NOOOO SEATTLE!!!!!

Posted by 234r2we232

Posted by Nunchuckles

Every month there's a layoff... :(

Posted by Brodehouse

@Napalm said:

@Brodehouse: Keep your dumb metaphors to yourself, Brodey.

? Cool.

Posted by Ghost_Cat

Really hurts to hear Monolith take a beating like that.

Posted by Napalm

@Brodehouse: Keep your dumb metaphors to yourself, Brodey.

Posted by abombb

It's always sad to see great developers take hits like this.

Posted by Brodehouse
@patrickklepek I just realized something, Patrick; we only hear the negative I this situation. We rarely hear where these guys move on to, and we never hear when studios are hiring outside of new game rumors. It's only in extreme situations like the 38 support stuff when you hear about new positions opening up (or new, smaller studios opening up). For instance, the SWTOR downsizing after production led to a three-person indie studio named Stoic to form, who are making a story-driven SRPG called The Banner Saga (that I'm super excited for).

I think a lot of people have a sense of the industry getting smaller and smaller, because they only hear of this studio got canned, these guys got layed off, and they might not get that most of these guys will be alright. New studios will form, these guys will find new jobs. I don't know what can be done to give a true sense of a career path in this industry, but there's definitely a warped sense of how it goes for those on the outside. Maybe there's something to be said on that topic?
Posted by JuggaloAcidman

Gotham City Imposters is an awesome game! There are alot of crappy developers out there making good money on awful games... Monolith deserves better!

Posted by Xymox

in b4 SHOGO MAD 2

Posted by _Zombie_

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Winternet said:

@mrpandaman said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

@Guyzea said:

@BeachThunder said:

@42manZ said:

@patrickklepek said:

@RainbowCarnage said:

d

e

f

g

h

LMNOP

qrs

I . . I don't know the alphabet.

Oh it's easy! The next piece of the pattern is:

Wrong, wrong, WRONG. It's very clearly 4. 2 comes after Q. Ugh, some people..

Posted by Brodehouse
@Napalm

Hey guys, do you remember when Monolith Productions, Inc. were doing their own thing, making F.E.A.R. and making a killing?

Yeah, I miss those days, too.

The problem is, who's to say that they've even retained all the key talent that made those games great? Who's to say that even if they have, the key guys are still flush with inspiration and new creative ideas? With the level of turnover and promotion, it's hard to say a studio is really the same 5 years later, let alone 10-12.

It's like the Ship of Theseus, when it goes out to sea and throughout its journey all the pieces get damaged and replaced until it returns to home port, do you still call it the Ship of Theseus, or is it an entirely different ship?
Posted by Zaxex

Yet more companies that have made games I bought and really enjoyed are firing employees.

Are many other industries as temperamental as the video games one?

Zynga's doing poorly right now, so I won't say there's no justice, but this still sucks.

Edited by mr_woo

Unfortunately Blood is another franchise considered 'dead' so it's almost guaranteed they weren't working on it. Blood 2 was probably their weakest game though (even though I enjoyed it still) but Blood 1 was mostly made by 3D Realms before Monolith finished it off and they went in a completely different direction for Blood 2 whilst I preferred the direction of Blood 1 (and its locations, weapons etc)

I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that the 'old guard' Monolith are mostly gone due to all the layoffs but GCI shows that studio still has a lot of talent. I have a feeling that they may become more of a digital distribution developer for PSN/XBLA than anything else but I hope I'm VERY wrong about that. I want more of their weird, quirky single player goodness :( They're one of the few FPS developers left with their own unique style FFS.

Posted by Winternet

@Brodehouse said:

Fucking does Surreal even exist anymore?

Man, that studio is . . surreal. (yeah, I'm gonna go now)

Posted by CornBREDX

That's really lame. I really like Monolith.

Blood was great, F.E.A.R was great, and other games they did that I loved that are escaping me right now. That's a real bummer.

Sucks when people lose their jobs too, but this seems normal in the game industry. They'll recover somehow.

Posted by casper_

1. take studio who have succeeded in the past on their own projects

2. force them to make something out of some bullshit IP you own

3. if it fails proceed to step 4. if it hits run the ip into the ground and then proceed to step 4

4. destroy studio

Posted by Oldirtybearon

@Napalm said:

Hey guys, do you remember when Monolith Productions, Inc. were doing their own thing, making F.E.A.R. and making a killing?

Yeah, I miss those days, too.

The real tragedy here is that we'll likely never get BLOOD 3.

Posted by Brodehouse

Fucking does Surreal even exist anymore?

Posted by ShaggE

If news pops up later saying that Monolith was working on Blood 3 before the layoff, I will find those responsible and devour their souls.

• 81 results