254 Comments
Posted by clush

@atomic_dumpling said:

@DaBuddaDa said:

I was a massive CS fan back during 1.6 and earlier. I'll give this a shot, why not.

I keep wondering why people would switch over from CS Source or 1.6. What's the incentive for veterans? It has new graphics, new achievements and a bit of COD, but that seems to be it. Is that gonna be enough for oldschool CS players?

One reason: competition.

CoD has been on a decline since CoD4:MW, 1.6 hasn't attracted any new players for years, cs:s is dying, competitively. The only 'eSports' that have been getting any real coverage lately are SC2 and the MOBA's, so for the competitively inclined FPS players it's now or never, with CS:GO. It will either put tactical shooters back up there with the other big competitive games, or it will be the final nail in the coffin if this game somehow fails as well.

What's amazing is that most communities seem to realize this and everybody seems to give this game the benefit of the doubt and really wants it to be good. The nerdrage and other stuff we're used to seeing from the more hardcore pc-crowd have all been fairly minimal, especially in the light of the more general consensus of this game being actually pretty good. Valve has been pretty amazing as well with how they are listening to the players and try to give them what they want, one update at a time.

For proper competition you'd need a big community, and right now most people are looking at CS:GO to finally bring the splintered player base back together and make FPS'es matter again.

To the average duder this all probably sounds lame as hell.... meanwhile, I'm really excited for this game's potential.

Posted by Goodspeedisdead

I've never face palmed so many times watching these videos than I did watching them playing the gun game... your weapon switches EVERY TIME YOU GET A KILL HOLY SHIT. IT'S NOT AN ATTACHMENT YOU...I'll stop myself before raging myself to death.

Edited by Sanj

I wasn't a Counter Strike guy (I did get really into JK2 though), but man I remember downloading a ton of Dragon Ball Z music videos off Kazaa around the early 2000s, often set to the music of Link Park or Limp Bizkit. Those were the days.

Posted by jasius

Thank dog that Drew is there to liven up this quick look! MORE DREW FOR QUICK LOOKS!

Posted by fartlord

Hearing "fucking pedobear" in a Quick Look. Outstanding.

Posted by Cloneslayer

Never have played CS before and for that reason I probably never will.

Posted by MildMolasses

This makes CS look way more fun than any impression I've ever got before. I should mention that my only actual experience playing CS is that awful Xbox version

Posted by mushroommachine

@Goodspeedisdead: Yeah, I know how you feel. I expected Brad to do poorly so I was ready for that, but missing that the weapon changes after a kill infuriated me for some reason.

Posted by PaulKemp

@jasius said:

Thank dog that Drew is there to liven up this quick look! MORE DREW FOR QUICK LOOKS!

+1 and Vinni

Posted by ZmillA

does this have scoutzknivez? thats ma shit. I also got pretty into the surf maps at one point.

Posted by BagSquad

this game is fantastic

Posted by Paindamnation
Posted by pwnmachine

@BagSquad: Agreed, I am addicted. My CS addiction has gone into relapse...

Posted by Th3_James

Counter Strike is still the only shooter I have consistently been playing for over 12 years. It's the only game where I don't feel cheated when I die. If I die, it is almost always my fault.

For me it has and always will be the perfect shooter.

Edited by Addfwyn

I never really saw the appeal of Counterstrike, and this looks like that but I may give it a try. My PS3 seemed determined to download the trial for me, even if it looks pretty dated. Though I have a feeling that the people who will be playing this have years and years more experience than I do. It'd be like somebody else trying to jump into a dota game for the first time.

Also, if I did play this on the PC, I probably would want to use a controller, don't see what Jeff finds so odd about that.

Posted by ExplodeMode

@fisk0: Yeah, it's like it all takes itself too seriously or something. Like everyone is playing for some meta-game, to unlock something or get an achievement or to preserve some k:d number, and not for having fun in the moment.

Posted by McDunkin

How could Drew forget jeepathon2k? Also the driving controls were actually in CS until patch 1.2 if I remember correctly. There was a hostage map with an APC that the CT team would drive towards the T base but all it really ended up doing was allowing one guy to TK the entire team.

Posted by BetterDavid

Not going to lie, watching Brad play this was enraging me. STOP GOING FULL AUTO!!!

Edited by fisk0

@Tarsier said:

this game is surprisingly awesome on xbox 360.

the controls on the xbox are great and allow for nearly as much precision and skill as the PC version. the difference is that its a completely level playing field and someone wont beat you because they have a really good setup and tweaked a bunch of crap with their game and mouse setup.

I play on the lowest settings with cheap non-gamer oriented keyboard and mouse and do OK. Don't know how much a good setup really can do for a game like this, it's not like any of the maps are huge or anything, so you'll never end up shooting at distant pixels like in Battlefield. Sure, for people who are into sniping, a mouse with variable DPI might be some advantage, but not so much that he'll be unstoppable. All in all, CS is pretty much proto-Call of Duty, but fair and balanced in a non-ironic way.

Posted by Linkster7

I rember having weekend LANs, we would always save all the games we played and made a CS Kill montage from what had.

IT was awesome!

Posted by AssInAss

7:55

Drew + Jeff double simultaneous WHAAAAT?! is a beautiful thing.

Posted by cloudnineboya

no surf what is this shit

Posted by TPoppaPuff

@AssInAss said:

7:55

Drew + Jeff double simultaneous WHAAAAT?! is a beautiful thing.

I know I think I'm going to have to set that as my text tone.

Posted by VeRKK

If it wasn't for me purchasing a new PC really soon (and pre-ordering CSGO on it already), I might have double dipped on the 360, but to be honest, the game just does not work on consoles. The way the movement and animations work, it just does not a console game. But, I can give props to Valve to atleast try and give Consoles a chance.

Posted by TheHT

YEAH DREW! 24/7 ASSAULT 4 LYFE!!

Wait a minute. That isn't the gungame I remember. I thought it was the mode where you start without weapons and there are weapons layed out in front of you to pick up in a small arena style map.

Posted by Arkasai

Woah when Drew mentioned Status Owned I had one of those sudden clarity Clarence moments. Like the entirety of my CS experience washed over me for a second. It was as if the words "status owned" were echoing in my head with tons of reverb while I stared through my computer screen remembering all the stupid shit I did in CS. Anyone remember that live action video of some guys that worked at a McDonald's with CS sound effect edited in?

Posted by DJJoeJoe

Anyone else catch how Brad seems to be saying 'Here' (@13:09) like that guy in the saloon in Wavey tube man chronicles?

@8:39 on the Quick Look here.

Posted by MightyDuck

Anyone else picking this up for PS3? I am really thinking about picking it up...err, downloading it? However, I've never played Counter Strike...ever. I'm hesitant based on the community and required skill level.

Posted by Javes

It seems Brad has gone to Ryan school of 'talk over menus for 5 minutes with no gameplay' style of quick look.

Edited by MeatSim

Besides arms race it looks like the same old Counter Strike. I will take a pass on more Counter Strike right now.

Posted by L1GHTN1N

@MightyDuck: Counter-Strike has never been on consoles except on the Xbox (which I understand was quite a poor port with no online?) so I'm sure there's plenty of players like you who have no experience or haven't even heard of Counter-Strike before CS:GO. It can be incredibly frustrating since there is no respawning on most game modes and you can die very quickly but there's a reason it's considered one of the greatest multiplayer games ever; for $15 it's easily worth it.

Posted by sear

Is it just me or are they complaining about the graphics but left all the settings at default? Or are some of the textures in the game really that bad? And no shadows at all? I doubt that.

Posted by MightyDuck

@L1GHTN1N: The one life per round thing is definitely appealing. I was a huge Socom 1 and Socom 2 fan and loved the 1 round per life concept. Maybe I'll give it a shot then.

Posted by DxBecks

@L1GHTN1N said:

@MightyDuck: Counter-Strike has never been on consoles except on the Xbox (which I understand was quite a poor port with no online?) so I'm sure there's plenty of players like you who have no experience or haven't even heard of Counter-Strike before CS:GO. It can be incredibly frustrating since there is no respawning on most game modes and you can die very quickly but there's a reason it's considered one of the greatest multiplayer games ever; for $15 it's easily worth it.

I actually owned Counter-Strike for the Xbox, and it did indeed have online play. For what it was worth the version was terrible, but the computer version of 1.6 was better and able to run on just about any machine at the time; so it was more pointless than anything. The Xbox version of Counter-Strike did introduce the radial buy-menu which is now in Global Offensive.

Posted by GenocidalKitten

Yay Drew! I love it when he helps Quick Look games, they should use him more often.

Posted by squidracerX

is there a mode where you can fight bots in this? just to train a bit, its been around too long to just jump in verses people without any training (which in many games is the single player, but not here obviously :)

Posted by Zripwud

The Kazaa reference was glorious! Thanks Drew!

Posted by SpikeDelight

I really appreciate Drew's taste in music, just wanted to throw that out there.

Posted by crithon

that is most honest reaction to CS Go.

Posted by chrispti

Kazaa! hahahaha Man Drew! This video was such a throwback for me!! Thanks guys! Made me want to play CS again in like 8 years!

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

I didn't expect such an excellent, nostalgic commentary on this one. Great to have Drew's perspective on the whole thing.

Edited by Zlimness

The zombie custom maps were awesome.

Also, I love the references. "NO SCOPES OMG! AWP N00bS! KICK+BAN n00bs PLZ!" Really brings me back.

Posted by believer258

@ExplodeMode said:

Are there any modern shooters that don't track you constantly? Like with zero persistence? You leave the game and everything is wiped until you play again? I feel like the only person that hates having all of these dumb stats following them around.

In this case, it seems far more about keeping players of similar skill levels in games and less about getting to the next level. That sort of thing never does seem to work as well as it should, but it's better than getting tossed in a game with guys who have been playing all day, every day, for 13 years.

Posted by believer258

@zaglis said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@DaBuddaDa said:

I was a massive CS fan back during 1.6 and earlier. I'll give this a shot, why not.

I keep wondering why people would switch over from CS Source or 1.6. What's the incentive for veterans? It has new graphics, new achievements and a bit of COD, but that seems to be it. Is that gonna be enough for oldschool CS players?

CSS/GO does not have even a byte of fucking Call of Duty you dope.

Which is why he said "bit".

Posted by dropabombonit

I have been playing it on PS3 with mouse and keyboard and it is pretty good. Brad and his PC elitism

Posted by zerdune

Those gun models look worse than in the original CS.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

DREWWWWWWW

Posted by The_Moose

I kinda missed CS. Probably a buy here.

Posted by CptMorganCA

I've been playing the PS3 version since it came out, and I'm really enjoying it. I do wonder if they did indeed add some sort of auto aim to it. Do any of you PC players play it and know for sure if they did? Just curious.

Posted by Wendschlag

No purchase until a open weekend gameplay goes live. Die hard 1.4 beta player, and everything after that has shat on Mr. Le's work.