254 Comments
Posted by Artigkar

@squidracerX said:

is there a mode where you can fight bots in this? just to train a bit, its been around too long to just jump in verses people without any training (which in many games is the single player, but not here obviously :)

Yep, there are bots. One cool thing about playing with bots is that you can take direct control of bots on your team in spectator, when you have died during a round.

Posted by Tiny_Tank

Hesh wants to kill people. And some sex... get over here and give Hesh some sex.

Posted by ExplodeMode

@believer258: That's a good point. I guess it would be hard to make a case for keeping it under the hood when you have to compile it anyway while there are people who want it.

Posted by EternalHaV0C

Iceworld is the map Drew was talking about.

Posted by HarlequinRiot

Out of curiosity, why are people so attached to older versions of CS? Like, why do people still play 1.6 (or earlier) even with Source out? I played a small bit of both and really couldn't tell the difference. What exactly changed that made people so against later versions?

Edited by snufkinn415

This made me go back and watch

EDIT: And yes, to capture video from CS you had to convert the demo to .jpeg and then to .avi/.rm

Edited by snufkinn415

Out of curiosity, why are people so attached to older versions of CS? Like, why do people still play 1.6 (or earlier) even with Source out? I played a small bit of both and really couldn't tell the difference. What exactly changed that made people so against later versions?

@HarlequinRiot: When people play competitively, the smallest change can throw your game off completely. 1.6 and Source are entirely different games when it comes to spray control and feel of movement.

Posted by Nentisys

NO SPRAYS = NO SALE

Posted by CaptainAnarchy

yup, this is counterstrike.

Posted by Kingfalcon

Anybody hear remember ka_legoland with low gravity? That was my JAM.

Posted by Iodine

So much Bradness happening in this QL

Posted by HerbieBug

Good lord. I wasn't sure how long it had been since I last played this. After a quick glance at the wiki, I think the last version I played was 1.3. 12 years ago. 0__0

Pretty crazy to hear people say Dust and Assault are still amongst the most popular maps.

Edited by HerbieBug

okay let's go!

LET'S GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE!

Re Drew's question: "Is this how terrorists always spawned?"

No. I remember terrorist spawn on Dust used to be down at the bottom of the ramp from where they spawn in this game. Brad is incorrect. At 37:25 Brad spawns facing towards the old spawn. Bottom of that ramp. I don't know when it changed. my knowledge is good only until v1.3. :D

Posted by DefaultProphet

"It's the same gun I just had" Yeah Brad no. No it's not. Not even remotely.

Posted by AlwaysBeClothing

Drew dropping Iceworld2k level references and talking about Ghosting tactics. I can tell Drew played him some CS.

Posted by Hazelhurst

de_dust2 = greatest cs map ever

Posted by Jodski

TNT this guys.

Posted by Hogans_Hotdogs

Is this worth even the modest 15 bux price tag for a total newb? I played I think 1 round of the original CS like over 10 years ago (I was much more into DoD), I actually got CS source free bundled with my HL2 but never ever played it. Should I just stick with Source? I just imagine being dumped on non-stop by kids for being a n00b and jazz like that.

Posted by waugaha

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY, Juan Nightstand is me!!!!! YEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAH HAHAHA "fuck you juan nightstand"

Posted by Tordah

Same old maps. Same old Counter-Strike. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is basically the same game it was 10 years ago, and I understand the reasons behind this release, but I wish there was more to it than this.

Posted by Penzilneck

At 36:05 ! Nooooooo! :(

Posted by I_am_Lono

First four and a half minutes are of Brad flicking back and fourth through the menus. Get to the bloody point! We didn't come here to see menus for Christ sake!

Edited by bergi

Speaking of awesome custom maps I wasted tons of hours playing jeepathon2k and leet skeet. I miss ridiculous custom maps.

*edit* And the way you used to have to make movies was to record a demo, then you could export a series of frames as bitmaps and finally you could assemble them into a video. Ahh... the good old days...

Edited by AlisterCat

There is a dissonance between when you register a hit with a shotgun weapon and not thinking (in the moment) that the full damage values of that weapon are being applied since it is a sprayed weapon. Every other type of firearm gives full power per shot.

So it can feel like you're pumping someone full of bullets when actually you're seeing a little bit of blood because a fraction of the shot hit them. Something I only just realised.

Posted by NarcolepticBat

@Morningstar: nope console's not out yet

Posted by Tsuchikage

Ah, Counter-Strike. How little you've changed. It's nice when games come out and haven't been turned into Call of Duty. It's not for me, but it's refreshing nonetheless.

Also, I remember the Steam launch. What a mess that was. :X It would crash almost every time I tried to start it up. Origin now is way ahead of where Steam was at launch.

Posted by Bunny_Fire

though this is all good and well me and my friends only play the CS pen and paper RPG

Posted by Sparky245

Fires 2 bullets. Reloads.

Man, I thought I was the only one who did that.

Posted by Elsolar

Shpongle!

Posted by dyong

Couldn't care less about this game, but the overwhelming nostalgia commentary is kind of nice.

Posted by BlazeHedgehog

I am interested in how the console versions of this do as well, because to my knowledge, even right up until it got shut down, the Xbox 1 version of Counter-Strike was consistently one of the most popular multiplayer games, up there with Halo 2.

Posted by munmon

@RandomAtom said:

OPPA GUNGNAM STYLE!

lol

Posted by Funky_Pasta_Tommy

Drew's my man!

24/7 assault was my bread and butter.

Posted by tyler1285

@Hogans_Hotdogs: Try it out man. There are a lot of noobs playing from what I've seen.

Posted by SuperZamrod

As a huge fan and old of CS, I thoroughly enjoyed this quick look.

Posted by Toodles

Ughhhh Brad gawwwds, elo's a word not an acronym aughhhh.

This looks like Counterstrike.

Posted by ildon

And Source engine games still screw up the UI after you change the resolution. You'd think Valve would have fixed that in the past 9 years.

Edited by Dberg

This looks seriously bare bones after having just seen what Valve's done with Team Fortress through the years. It's like CS has been stuck in a time bubble.

Posted by Fona_Fett

I can't believe people keep forgetting: you can play with a mouse & keyboard on PS3! (not sure about Xbox360)

Edited by Hogans_Hotdogs

@Dberg said:

This looks seriously bare bones after having just seen what Valve's done with Team Fortress through the years. It's like CS has been stuck in a time bubble.

It seems to me that's exactly how the fans like it.

Posted by felksters

@RandomAtom: fuck yeah

Posted by Undeadpool

@Hogans_Hotdogs said:

@Dberg said:

It seems to me that's exactly how the fans like it.

So they're like MOST "hardcore" videogame fans?

Posted by LucidDreams117

Could never get into Counter-Strike. Felt like the type of game where you either got it or you didn't.
A side note: videos of PC FPS's always disorient me. Just too fast. Almost annoys me when I see people playing like that. But I'm thinking that's the console shooter in me talking.

Posted by Nettacki

For the few times that I got into Counter Strike, I was often able to maintain a game session for a few hours, still being impressed that there's about 1000 players better than me, and 100 worse.

Posted by papercut

has made this one of my favorite quick looks ever.

Edited by aquacadet

Here is my amazing cs frag video.

To capture footage as they said in the video I had to:

1. Record a demo when I started playing.
  2. Open and replay the demo to the point I wanted to record
  3. Type some console command to start taking X screenshots per second
  4. Open some other software to put all the .jpgs together as uncompressed AVI
  5. Edit it in premier
  6. Compress it to be ~250mb since there was to youtube and people had to download them from cs movie websites.

I miss counter-strike. :)

Posted by Nettacki
@LucidDreams117 said:
Could never get into Counter-Strike. Felt like the type of game where you either got it or you didn't. A side note: videos of PC FPS's always disorient me. Just too fast. Almost annoys me when I see people playing like that. But I'm thinking that's the console shooter in me talking.
It most probably is, for I have not felt any sort of disorienting feeling from this video.
Posted by obidamnkenobi

I'm not very good at CS, but it seems to me that Brad is looking down too much! Keep your cross-hair where your enemy is statistically more likely to appear, that just seems like basic tactics. Especially around corners, don't look at the floor

Posted by YellowJello

@Morningstar: Not the first time.

Posted by monsterelite

Definately not my bag!