11 Comments
Posted by Colorwind

With New Super Mario Bros 2 bringing the originality of the Mario series into question, I started thinking about what could be done in the next iteration in the Mario series. So I came up with a concept and I am now sharing it with you.

The next Mario game should drop the “New” label and should be called something else. It doesn’t need to be some superfluous buzz word. It should be something simple, similar to titles in the past such as Super Mario World or Super Mario Land. I say Super Mario Adventure should suffice (no relation to the Nintendo Power comic series, although that would be a nice call back).

The story consists of Bowser and his son attempting to take over various lands and kingdoms in the Mario universe, not just the Mushroom Kingdom. There would be eight main worlds and would follow the map layout of Super Mario World, allowing for diverse world layouts and hidden levels. Each world would be based on a kingdom or place featured in other Mario games. World 1 would be the Mushroom Kingdom but other worlds could be Princess Daisy’s Sarasaland, Yoshi’s Island, Subcon from Super Mario Bros 2, Isle Delfino, Diamond City from the WarioWare games, the various galaxies from Super Mario Galaxy, and DK Island from the Donkey Kong Country series. Secret worlds could include the return of Star World, and Vibe Island from Super Princess Peach. Each world will have a variety of levels and won’t be themed like in SMB3 and will be more diverse, again, like Super Mario World.

Which brings me to the characters. I think multiple playable characters would be a fun way to diversify gameplay. I’ve come up with 10 playable characters, with 8 being available at the start of the game. They are: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina, and Toad. Yoshi would be available after completing the game and Donkey Kong would be unlocked after completing the DK Island world. Also, when you play as DK, all the coins in the game change into bananas.

Each character can have their own different traits. For example, only Mario can triple jump, only Mario and Yoshi can butt stomp and Luigi has that kicking jump from SMB2 that gives him a weightless feel. Yoshi will still have his flutter kick but that’s different. Peach could float for a short period of time, Daisy can glide down after a jump, and Rosalina can levitate. All the girls will have the spin jump that Mario had in Super Mario World in lieu of the ground pound. Wario will have his shoulder ram attack from the Wario Land games and Waluigi will jump almost as if he leaped off a spring (due to his gangly legs). Donkey Kong will have his roll attack from DKC as well as his ground pound and Toad…can run fast.

The game will have a variety of power ups including the Mushroom, Fire Flower, the newly renamed Ice Tulip, Tanooki Suit, Blue Koopa Shell, and Super Star. The Metal Cap will make a return and will allow the player to run through blocks, destroying them instantly. The Mini and Mega Mushrooms will also return, as will the Propeller Mushroom. A new power up entitled the Kamek Cap will allow players to wield Kamek’s wand and wear Kamek’s robes. Another new power up would be a pair of sneakers entitled the Jet Shoes. If the player can run across a flat plain and fill up the P meter, the player will run faster and be temporarily invisible. All of the playable characters in the game will be able to use all of the power ups.

Bosses will consist of Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the other seven Koopa siblings. Other favorites such as Kamek, King K Rool, and Birdo will also appear, as well as more obscure bosses from the past such as King Wart, Tatanga, Petey Piranna, and King Boo. Each world will have two bosses, while the secret worlds won’t have any.

I probably should’ve mentioned this before but this will be a 2D Mario game. Well, there’s my pitch. What do you think? Is this an awesome idea that Nintendo should pay me for or is it too fan fic like? Comment below and let me know!

Posted by believer258

Throw everything out except the story (Bowser kidnaps Peach), the tone (lighthearted, childish), and jumping, and go back to the drawing board. Completely. Re-examine any and every thing you take from the old games and put back in (i.e. mushrooms are cool, but don't make every power-up something that's already been done). World 1-1 shouldn't look exactly like every fucking World 1-1 ever.

You get what I'm saying.

Posted by Video_Game_King

@Colorwind said:

With New Super Mario Bros 2 bringing the originality of the Mario series into question

You mean people thought Mario was original up until this game?

@Colorwind said:

The next Mario game should drop the “New” label and should be called something else. It doesn’t need to be some superfluous buzz word.

You mean like Super is?

@Colorwind said:

The story consists of Bowser and his son attempting to take over various lands and kingdoms in the Mario universe, not just the Mushroom Kingdom. There would be eight main worlds and would follow the map layout of Super Mario World, allowing for diverse world layouts and hidden levels. Each world would be based on a kingdom or place featured in other Mario games. World 1 would be the Mushroom Kingdom but other worlds could be Princess Daisy’s Sarasaland, Yoshi’s Island, Subcon from Super Mario Bros 2, Isle Delfino, Diamond City from the WarioWare games, the various galaxies from Super Mario Galaxy, and DK Island from the Donkey Kong Country series. Secret worlds could include the return of Star World, and Vibe Island from Super Princess Peach. Each world will have a variety of levels and won’t be themed like in SMB3 and will be more diverse, again, like Super Mario World.

So Super Mario Bros. 3?

Posted by Colorwind

@Video_Game_King: Mario was original up till Galaxy 2, Super is part of the series, and no, not like SMB3, like I said in the quote you replied to. Try reading it again.

Posted by Iodine

@believer258 said:

Throw everything out except the story (Bowser kidnaps Peach), the tone (lighthearted, childish), and jumping, and go back to the drawing board. Completely. Re-examine any and every thing you take from the old games and put back in (i.e. mushrooms are cool, but don't make every power-up something that's already been done). World 1-1 shouldn't look exactly like every fucking World 1-1 ever.

You get what I'm saying.

So they should go for the original 1-2 and redo that..........

HOLY SHIT YES

Posted by Video_Game_King

@Colorwind:

That doesn't change the fact that Super could also be a superfluous buzz word. Isn't that how the series started? "It's the Mario brothers, but SUPER! Wowzers!"

Your worlds would still be themed, though. How are you going to make Delfino anything other than a water level?

Posted by TaliciaDragonsong

I like it, the Mario games could do with a bigger cast of playables.

Posted by Colorwind

@Video_Game_King: The hotel is basically a ghost house, the beach could be similar to a desert area, the main town could involve a lot of wall jumping onto roofs, the windmill from the first stage could be a level itself with a vertical layout, the docks level could be made into an oil level somewhat remeniscent to Oil Ocean from Sonic (for a real change of pace), there could be a level based on the underground pipes in the main town (sorta like a cave level from previous games), the secret areas where you would lose Flood could be secret areas, and then we could have a water level. There's eight levels with only one level involving water.

Posted by Shaka999

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I like it, the Mario games could do with a bigger cast of playables.

Just to slightly modify this, if I may- A bigger cast of playables with unique features. New Super Mario Bros Wii is great for what it is (as evidenced by the quick look), but adding characters with actual differences could make the game more fun, and I'd imagine Nintendo would be able to pull it off.

Posted by TaliciaDragonsong
@Shaka999: Yeah that's what I meant like the OP said, different traits.
I still think its a missed chance to not have those kind of things in the New Super Mario Bros games with Wario and Waluigi (Or Toad/Peach/Daisy for that matter).
Perhaps even make it a toggle so no one gets saddled with fatty Wario who can't jump as well as the rest so it stays good fun. But next to that I welcome all the different characters and their moves!
Posted by Slag

One of the things I liked best about Super mario bros2 was that it had four player characters

ten seems like a lot though.

Probably my favorite idea of yours is that each world is a different world and obscure boss enemies

Personally I'd like some sort Mario/Ico cross. It would be cool if Peach and mario or Mario & luigi etc etc could work as a team in a platforming sense.