116 Comments
  • 116 results
Posted by Brendan

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

A single person who made a low budget game who has nothing to lose and everything to gain loses nothing from piracy, gains exposure.

Hold on while I freak the fuck out.

I agree that the situation can't really be used as a guiding post for the entire industry.

Posted by Catlicker

McPix√ČL!!

Posted by Cmdc00kie

You can say this situation is different, but you'd be hard pressed to find an instance where a developer who embraced/didn't mind piracy didn't benefit from doing so.

Posted by Corvak

@Nintendude: They'll still have activations (So does Steam) but they wont require you to have a connection while playing single player.

Posted by AStoutYeoman

This'll all work itself out...

Posted by Nintendude

@Corvak said:

@Nintendude: They'll still have activations (So does Steam) but they wont require you to have a connection while playing single player.

Good enough. That's all I can ask for ^^

Posted by AhmadMetallic

I respect a developer who does not antagonize piracy and realizes its many benefits for the PC gaming experience, community and industry.

Big respect to this guy, I'll buy his game even though I'm not gonna play it.

Posted by Awesom3pand4

Great game

Posted by unholyone123

Well, he kind of has to embrace piracy. Considering his whole game is a pirated idea from an SNL skit, he would look like a complete hypocrite otherwise.

Posted by AdMordem

@unholyone123 said:

Well, he kind of has to embrace piracy. Considering his whole game is a pirated idea from an SNL skit, he would look like a complete hypocrite otherwise.

What where as EA and Activisions games are all totally original, innovative and not derivative of anything?

Posted by unholyone123

@AdMordem said:

@unholyone123 said:

What where as EA and Activisions games are all totally original, innovative and not derivative of anything?

Name of SNL character-MacGruber

Name of game character-McPixel

MacGruber-Trys to defuse or get rid of bombs before they blow up

McPixel-Trys to defuse or get rid of bombs before they blow up

MacGruber-Name of main character flys out in big text at the end of the skit

McPixel-Name of main character flys out in big text at the end of each level

MacGruber-Has long darkish blonde hair

McPixel-Has long darkish blonde hair

Yes, you're right. EA and Activision's games have been derivative to a certain degree. Being derivative and being a blatant rip off, however, are two completely different things. If he can make a buck from people buying his game, more power to him, but don't ever call him creative, original, innovative, etc. Because he is NOT. He is just a guy who stole someone else's idea and is profiting from it. Oh, and yes MacGruber is a parody of MacGyver. SNL never claimed it to be anything but a parody.

Posted by Spudofdoom

cool

Posted by Twiggy199

@unholyone123 said:

@AdMordem said:

@unholyone123 said:

Yes, you're right. EA and Activision's games have been derivative to a certain degree. Being derivative and being a blatant rip off, however, are two completely different things. If he can make a buck from people buying his game, more power to him, but don't ever call him creative, original, innovative, etc. Because he is NOT. He is just a guy who stole someone else's idea and is profiting from it. Oh, and yes MacGruber is a parody of MacGyver. SNL never claimed it to be anything but a parody.

Copying and idea is not piracy, at the very max it's plagiarism. If so everyone after the first game ever is a pirate. for using buttons. Grow up! and think before you type!. E.A. can suck my balls!.

Posted by Hoagie

@unholyone123: How is McPixel not a parody of MacGruber as MacGruber is a parody of MacGuyver?

Posted by unholyone123

@Twiggy199 said:

@unholyone123 said:

@AdMordem said:

@unholyone123 said:

Copying and idea is not piracy, at the very max it's plagiarism. If so everyone after the first game ever is a pirate. for using buttons. Grow up! and think before you type!. E.A. can suck my balls!.

I never mentioned anything about EA or Activision in my original post so I don't know why you even mentioned them. "Copying and idea is not piracy, at the very max it's plagiarism." Plagiarism is a form of stealing, usually in reference to literature and intellectual ideas. Piracy is also a form of stealing, often referring to computer software(such as games). No matter which terminology you use, it's stealing.

Posted by m2cks

@unholyone123 said:

@AdMordem said:

@unholyone123 said:

Well perhaps McPixel is a parody of a parody; would that still qualify to you as a "blatant rip off"? SNL definitely profits off of parodies, and I'm sure their fans would think of them as creative, and not consider them stealing someone else's ideas.