403 Comments
Posted by Dizzyhippos

I enjoy Patrick and everything he contributes to giant bomb, but man his quick looks are hit and miss as hell. But whatever not every quick look can be gold

Posted by benspyda

I'm sold, it looks original and interesting among so many sequels. Consider you bought Dishonored.

Posted by DeviTiffany

I think it's weird Patrick didn't mention the Chaos system in his review or the Quick Look. The more you murder people, the more Chaos you get at the end of the mission which actually effects the level of patrols and how the story plays out. So you do want to either murder everything or stealth everything depending on how you want the city to change.

Edited by Draxyle

Theoretically I should like this game, but something about it is keeping it from latching on to me. It might be the art style, which is a shame, because I happen to like how it looks on a basic level. It doesn't seem like it fits for some reason that I can't quite put into words.

It'd probably live or die based on the story for me (and if that maybe justifies its art style), I'm just trying to determine if this game is all mechanics or if there's a proper theme, narrative, or message behind it all. It's kinda rough for a new IP to get that information out I'd imagine.

Still, this looks very competent. With enough good word of mouth I might look into it down the line.

Posted by mrsmiley

looks awesome. like bioshock mixed with thief. i'm gonna grab the PC version though and play with a controller... Xbox looks like crap. :/

Posted by ExplodeMode

This game looks kind of great. Then again, I really like playing stealth characters.

Posted by Ghostiet

@Death_Burnout said:

This. If there's anyone at GB who would 'get' Thief other than Dave, it's Patrick.

I think I played way too much of Thief to enjoy watching that.

Posted by outerabiz

@Mars_Cleric said:

@The_Ruiner said:

....It seems like Patrick's biggest gripe with "most of these stealth games" is that you have to be careful and try to avoid fucking up...

it's more that if you do fuck it up then you might as well just restart from a save because there is no way to salvage it

I have played all of "most of these stealth games" and never had any such issues. When you get spotted in deus ex or metal gear or even the new splinter cell, its pretty easy to just shoot your way out and get in cover until the AI goes back into its base routine. Unless you're forcing yourself to play a perfect game, for achievements or something i guess.

Posted by YummyTreeSap

@Terramagi said:

We get it Patrick. You fucking hate stealth games.

Why do you keep playing them.

I dislike sports games. Don't see me bitching about Madden.

What? I never got that impression from this video at all. Maybe he dislikes certain conventions of the genre, but I would say that this is a pretty justified position to hold. That's quite a bit different from "fucking hating stealth games".

Posted by arimajinn

Hope this has a good port for the PC

Posted by das9000

Is this the console version? The dynamic lighting and textures look like crap.

The gameplay looks great. During all the trailers I thought that it would be more like Thief, but this is nothing like it though.

Edited by skelington_

@kishinfoulux said:

To be fair although Scoops does dilly dally a lot, Ryan just seemed bored. Maybe they were tired. I know he's previously said he "doesn't see it" when it comes to this game. Kind of an odd choice for a partner.

I'd actually love to know how they determine who does a Quick Look and how they pair them up.

I think the team have said before (a long time ago) that they like approaching QL's with one participant who's really into game x, and the other who isn't interested/hasn't seen a great deal about the game up until that point. It's the job of the player to kind of 'win over' the guest and introduce them to the experience. It gives a QL depth and clarity when it's provided with differing perspectives and/or opinions. Something like that. In this case, Ryan wasn't really sold at any point, and didn't have the enthusiasm to challenge his own judgement.

I can't say i'm sold on it either, but that's another point entirely.

Posted by Bistromath

Have a feeling the controls will be a bit more manageable on PC, at least for me.

Posted by xatmos

I was hoping to see more story and more talking. You can't call this a Deus Ex style game if it doesn't have dialog (we only see people talk at the player and briefly). That's one of the "three pillars" missing. It definitely feels more like Bioshock, and that's too bad.

I also wondder if there are boss fights.

Posted by Terramagi

@YummyTreeSap said:

@Terramagi said:

What? I never got that impression from this video at all. Maybe he dislikes certain conventions of the genre, but I would say that this is a pretty justified position to hold. That's quite a bit different from "fucking hating stealth games".

Having a problem with "I got caught, so now some bad shit is about to happen to me" in stealth games is like having a problem with permadeath in rogue-likes.

It's one of the more integral parts of the genre. You can't just say "well maybe this is a stealth game for me" because, at that point, it's an action game that doesn't have the enemies automatically shoot at you.

Posted by algertman

Yep. Looks like one of those games the critics go crazy for but in the end is a $20 buy at most.

Edited by algertman

I bet it took Brad 12+ hours before he ever figured out how to use 'BLINK' in this game.

Posted by Spitznock

This game looks friggin great.

Posted by Hunter5024

I don't know why, but I thought this game used the British spelling of Dishonoured. Seems to fit the setting better.

Edited by Humanity

For such a highly anticipated game (for me anyway) what an utterly boring Quick Look. Ryan seems to not care the slightest and is constantly looking for faults in the design while Patrick meanders about aimlessly not really showing what the actual game feels like.

I was certain this was gonna be a Brad and Jeff joint and say what you will but at least when Brad seems excited about a game you can feel it. They also do a good job of showing the game off. At least we didn't sit in menu's for 8 minutes straight this time around. Also no idea why Patrick would do this when he has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't like stealth game mechanics. It's like someone not liking survival horror tropes but playing game after game thinking this will be the one to change their mind.

Posted by Neurotic

Alright, I think I wanna play this game.

I won't be using the rat power though. Rats make me feel ill even in virtual form it seems. Also, the heart is gross.

Posted by atomic_dumpling

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

Meh, there should never be a QL w/o at least Jeff or Brad on it.

More like: don't have Patrick on the quick looks. I really like his writing, but man, he's hard to listen to.

Meanwhile at the review, some people are hating on his writing style. I feel sorry for the guy, he is diligent and passionate about video games (probably the only main staff member at this point).

Posted by YummyTreeSap

@Terramagi said:

Having a problem with "I got caught, so now some bad shit is about to happen to me" in stealth games is like having a problem with permadeath in rogue-likes.

It's one of the more integral parts of the genre. You can't just say "well maybe this is a stealth game for me" because, at that point, it's an action game that doesn't have the enemies automatically shoot at you.

Again, he never said this. He said that he doesn't like the way in which certain games manage that "bad shit," which yes, is a valid complaint. He was clearly pretty positive about this game and died in the quicklook once after being spotted, so I don't think you're right in saying that he has a problem with there being consequences of getting caught in a stealth game. More likely, he has a problem with stealth games deliberately (or maybe even not) having shit combat in order to force the player into taking a stealthy approach. Deus Ex is a great game and all, but I mean, well, its combat is pretty horrible.

So yeah, I'm definitely not getting the impression that he hates stealth games, but rather, some of the tedious trial and error aspects of them that he claims to not be quite as present in this one. I think that's a fine position to take and I'm vaguely interested in a stealth game that gives the player some options if he fucks something up.

Totally off-subject, but man, my head can't wrap itself around the concept of the possessions in this game. So you take control of a rat, and but then at will turn back into your own body? How the fuck does that happen? What happens to your original body?

Edited by Humanity

@atomic_dumpling said:

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

More like: don't have Patrick on the quick looks. I really like his writing, but man, he's hard to listen to.

Meanwhile at the review, some people are hating on his writing style. I feel sorry for the guy, he is diligent and passionate about video games (probably the only main staff member at this point).

Not denying or confirming but sometimes people are just not cut out for something no matter how passionate they are about it.

Posted by toastface

Good god, these comments. This quick look did exactly what it was supposed to do, it showed me some game play that I probably wouldn't have, and didn't see from the super hyped up marketing videos released. Because the people playing it don't have an orgasm over it, people start bitching about them.

Posted by atomic_dumpling

@Humanity said:

Not denying or confirming but sometimes people are just not cut out for something no matter how passionate they are about it.

Yeah well, there is always the simple answer: Het gets paid for this. Deal with it.

Posted by CouchCorpse

Patrick you talk far too much.

Posted by CptBedlam

@Alex_Carrillo said:

It drives me crazy when Scoops walks around in circles when he's talking in every Quick Look he helms. It's like 5 or 10 minutes of fuck all while he explains game mechanics, premise, any other crap. NOBODY else does that.

Yep, definitely too much talking/explaining going on. Patrick should keep it shorter.

Posted by Splodge

@Humanity said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

The fuck are you talking about? Patrick knows his shit and is a fantastic writer. he is informative in Quick Looks, and I can never understand the pointless vitriol that is aimed at him.

Who the fuck are you to say he isn't "cut out" for anything? The GB guys HIRED him, they pay him a WAGE.

Jesus H Christ.

Posted by altairre

@Humanity said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

Or maybe the people who like what he is doing aren't as vocal about it.

Posted by SomeJerk

I know it's console focused but holy jumping jesus that FOV, take those binoculars off

Posted by Iodine

@altairre said:

@Humanity said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

Or maybe the people who like what he is doing aren't as vocal about it.

This

Patrick is not my favorite bomber (The fact I am 20 minutes at the most away from Brad's childhood home makes my love for him easy)[Yes that did not sound nearly as creepy when it was in my head] but I don't dislike him, he is pretty cool, has a different perspective on a lot of things, and even if I don't agree with him on some stuff doesn't make him any less of a cool bro.

Edited by MattClassic
@DeviTiffany said:

I think it's weird Patrick didn't mention the Chaos system in his review or the Quick Look. The more you murder people, the more Chaos you get at the end of the mission which actually effects the level of patrols and how the story plays out. So you do want to either murder everything or stealth everything depending on how you want the city to change.

The chaos system sounds awesome if it can deliver on its promises. They've described it in interviews on other sites as a highly adaptive system that affects everything from the ending to scripted events and dialog to guard/NPC presence/behavior. I'm really curious to see how it all works in action. 

Also, apparently you can make the entire city completely lose its shit if you push it hard enough: "If you create enough Chaos, bedlam ensues: NPCs begin to attack each other, rats swarm the area, and the world through which Corvo moves becomes an altogether nightmarish place."
Posted by dcgc

I'm gonna have to pick this up real soon.

Posted by Nekroskop

That whole 'Blink' ability screams playtester incompetence.

Posted by TheRealDJ

With Susan Sarandon as Granny Rags.

Edited by Tennmuerti

Decent QL.

Looking forward to the game itself.

I'm a sucker for both Deus Ex / Thief gameplay and steampunk'ish stuff.

Posted by Darkness2386

game looks cool, but there is just too much coming out right now for me to try it

Posted by emem

It looks like the game has no lighting at all, everything looks foggy, there are no dark places (even at night), and I can't believe how much that turns me off. Too bad for me I guess, but maybe I'll come around... probably not in the near future, though.

Posted by Ares42

The amount of muddy textures really pops out. Hope this isn't the case for PC.

Edited by PhantomGardener

@Terramagi said:

Cause Dishonored dosn't need to be played as a stealth game?

Posted by DexterKid

Dishon-OR-ed..

Posted by HansKaosu

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

One Pile Of Shit Game Last Week, A Fucking Amazing Game (from what everyone is saying) this week. PC right??

PC, 360, PS3

Edited by mutha3
@outerabiz said:

@Mars_Cleric said:

@The_Ruiner said:

....It seems like Patrick's biggest gripe with "most of these stealth games" is that you have to be careful and try to avoid fucking up...

it's more that if you do fuck it up then you might as well just restart from a save because there is no way to salvage it

I have played all of "most of these stealth games" and never had any such issues. When you get spotted in deus ex or metal gear or even the new splinter cell, its pretty easy to just shoot your way out and get in cover until the AI goes back into its base routine.

You don't even need to do this part. You can jus outrun the guards and hide somewhere. This "you might as well reload you save" thing is such utter bullshit.

Patrick doesn't like stealth games and that's okay. But the things he's calling "genre flaws"  are kinda integral to the experience.
Posted by DexterKid

He sure does say ''those games'' a lot. Which games is he referring to I wonder.

To me this looks a lot like Bioshock.

Posted by Scotto

There needs to be some sort of treaty signed, where Patrick-haters agree to just stay the fuck away from content he's involved in (or at least the comments sections), and the rest of us agree to leave them to their opinion.

Posted by DexterKid

@Scotto said:

There needs to be some sort of treaty signed, where Patrick-haters agree to just stay the fuck away from content he's involved in (or at least the comments sections), and the rest of us agree to leave them to their opinion.

How about you just ignore comments that you don't like?

Edited by holybins

"Wow, that blink ability requires me to use some coordination sometimes to jump + blink? That seems...a little clumsy."

What happened to games that kick your ass that are just good, *hard* games?! Comments like this combined with statements on the podcast about how "the game doesn't tell me what to do" are ridiculous. Yet games like Metroid, which are all about exploration and "figuring it out", are lauded as the best game(s) ever. In my opinion, the amount of non-stop exposure to games endured by critics (like the Giant Bomb staff) forms a view of current games which is totally detached from a normal players' view. Due to this, I feel like reviews (and their qualitative comments) have almost zero value.

Fortunately Giant Bomb generates most of its value from quick looks, endurance runs, the podcast, and awesome series like flight club.

/rant

Posted by DeF

Dishonored, Hitman and ZombiU are easily my most anticipated trio this Holiday season. And I really hope Dishonored gets recognition for how gorgeous it is. That painterly art style is just a stroke of genius!

@DexterKid said:

He sure does say ''those games'' a lot. Which games is he referring to I wonder.

To me this looks a lot like Bioshock.

He says what games he's referring to. Those of the Deus Ex-inspired ilk. The "approach a scenario the way you want to"/stealth-focused games.

Edited by CaLe

@mutha3 said:

@outerabiz said:

@Mars_Cleric said:

@The_Ruiner said:

I have played all of "most of these stealth games" and never had any such issues. When you get spotted in deus ex or metal gear or even the new splinter cell, its pretty easy to just shoot your way out and get in cover until the AI goes back into its base routine.

You don't even need to do this part. You can jus outrun the guards and hide somewhere. This "you might as well reload you save" thing is such utter bullshit. Patrick doesn't like stealth games and that's okay. But the things he's calling "genre flaws" are kinda integral to the experience.

A lot of people, myself included, approach stealth games from the mindset that failure is not acceptable. The way they are usually built is to make failure feel extremely unsatisfying. Even if you continue to play after being spotted, and finish the level, you still feel like you did it wrong. It's not satisfying until you finish without making mistakes, because of how they are designed. This game seems to recognize this, which is why the penalty of being spotted or simply messing up is directly off-set by your abilities.