403 Comments
  • 403 results
Edited by Baal_Sagoth

Hm, disappointing. Looks more like Bioshock than Deus Ex, Thief or Hitman. That's not a good thing in my book. Human Revolution was a perfectly decent attempt to modernize DX but I certainly have no room for a game that seems even more simplified. I don't really see how the fighting is supposed to be superior to earlier titles and I don't have complaints about the punishing trial and error of earlier stealth games either. And motherfucker, does that Blink abitlity look awkward and terrible especially when you hate First Person platforming to begin with.

The game doesn't appear to be made with my prefenrences in mind at all. Sort of an opposite piece to Vampire Bloodlines, where there's usually three to four possible strategies (stealth, violence, dialogue and often some skill or context based trick) and a complex skill tree that offers a ton of options and abilities to specialize for any of these core scenarios. Here it just seems to be rather bland action gameplay with a ton of overpowered toys. I bet the Bioshock-wrench scenario applies to Dishonored as well. The simple gameplay that shies away from real challenge can be tackled with a generic standard solution and the player doesn't need to experiment at all.

Then again, that's an awful lot to infer from a QL, a review and some preview/ advertisement content. Shame there isn't a demo on their website/ Steam or wherever else because as it stands I'll never give this a try for 60 fucking bucks, especially not over XCOM on the very same day (that looks very promising and has a nicely playing demo already). I'll keep an eye out for later discounts though, the steampunk setting could be good although it looks boring here and the general genre is always interesting to me.

Posted by rye256

@SqueeMK2: lol

Edited by Daiphyer

Jesus, Ryan, maybe tone down the enthusiasm a bit!

Posted by DexterKid

@DeF said:

Dishonored, Hitman and ZombiU are easily my most anticipated trio this Holiday season. And I really hope Dishonored gets recognition for how gorgeous it is. That painterly art style is just a stroke of genius!

@DexterKid said:

He sure does say ''those games'' a lot. Which games is he referring to I wonder.

To me this looks a lot like Bioshock.

He says what games he's referring to. Those of the Deus Ex-inspired ilk. The "approach a scenario the way you want to"/stealth-focused games.

Well Deus Ex isn't a huge genre of game, there are really a handful of games with those specific mechanics and that's about it. Any related games are so loosely related that I don't think it makes sense to group them all together as ''those games''.

And anyway this game doesn't seem all that Deus Ex to me; i.e it doesn't have a lot of talking, hacking things, and methodical gameplay. This game seems a lot more like Bioshock, which is basically a FPS with some extra shenanigans.

Edited by Humanity

@Splodge said:

@Humanity said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

Meh, there should never be a QL w/o at least Jeff or Brad on it.

More like: don't have Patrick on the quick looks. I really like his writing, but man, he's hard to listen to.

Meanwhile at the review, some people are hating on his writing style. I feel sorry for the guy, he is diligent and passionate about video games (probably the only main staff member at this point).

Not denying or confirming but sometimes people are just not cut out for something no matter how passionate they are about it.

The fuck are you talking about? Patrick knows his shit and is a fantastic writer. he is informative in Quick Looks, and I can never understand the pointless vitriol that is aimed at him.

Who the fuck are you to say he isn't "cut out" for anything? The GB guys HIRED him, they pay him a WAGE.

Jesus H Christ.

When I said "not denying or confirming" that was meant to say I'm not talking about Patrick specifically. I was merely stating that sometimes being passionate about something doesn't translate to being good at it - once again, not aimed at Patrick, just a general statement. It is my fault for not being abundantly clear when writing something on the internet, I apologize for that.

As to who am I to say someone is not cut out for their duties? Well everyone is entitled to have an opinion. You don't have to be an art scholar to say a painting does not look good to you - it's just your opinion. I'm happy that the guys hired him and also very grateful that they even pay him as well. Does getting hired by a video game website automatically make Patrick an amazing writer beyond all scrutiny? No. I think he's fine and his writing while sometimes a bit wordy for it's own good is certainly above and beyond what you usually find online. I don't think recorded segments are his strength and I'm sorry if you think I'm wrong and should die and go to hell for thinking so.

Posted by Scotto

@DexterKid said:

@Scotto said:

There needs to be some sort of treaty signed, where Patrick-haters agree to just stay the fuck away from content he's involved in (or at least the comments sections), and the rest of us agree to leave them to their opinion.

How about you just ignore comments that you don't like?

Because it's like trying to "ignore" air pollution. It's an intensely lame counterpoint, because you could say "just ignore it" to all kinds of shitty behaviour.

The Patrick-haters aren't like an occasional gnat that you can just swat away and move on from. They are an ongoing pervasive cancer every time Patrick is involved in something.

And frankly, a lot of the stuff people say about him is completely dickish, so I have no compunction with telling those people to fuck off. And I suspect the rest of the GB staff feel the same way.

Posted by DeF

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

Dishonored, Hitman and ZombiU are easily my most anticipated trio this Holiday season. And I really hope Dishonored gets recognition for how gorgeous it is. That painterly art style is just a stroke of genius!

@DexterKid said:

He sure does say ''those games'' a lot. Which games is he referring to I wonder.

He says what games he's referring to. Those of the Deus Ex-inspired ilk. The "approach a scenario the way you want to"/stealth-focused games.

Well Deus Ex isn't a huge genre of game, there are really a handful of games with those specific mechanics and that's about it. Any related games are so loosely related that I don't think it makes sense to group them all together as ''those games''.

And anyway this game doesn't seem all that Deus Ex to me; i.e it doesn't have a lot of talking, hacking things, and methodical gameplay. This game seems a lot more like Bioshock, which is basically a FPS with some extra shenanigans.

You shouldn't take it so literally. If you've followed the game and/or seen the quick look you'd see that this is not a FPS with extra shenanigans to add flavor. It's all about those extra shenanigans and combat is completely optional. It's one of those games in which your playstyle is king. That shouldn't be determined by whether or not there are dialogue trees. The broader family of those includes stuff like the MGS and Assassin's Creed or Hitman games.

Edited by mnzy

@CptBedlam said:

@Alex_Carrillo said:

It drives me crazy when Scoops walks around in circles when he's talking in every Quick Look he helms. It's like 5 or 10 minutes of fuck all while he explains game mechanics, premise, any other crap. NOBODY else does that.

Yep, definitely too much talking/explaining going on. Patrick should keep it shorter.

He overexplains stuff, really. All of the better Quick Looks focus on what's happening in the game. What he tries to explain I either know already or can pick it up myself, if you show the game off well.

Posted by Doomduck

I just wanted to say that i think Patrick did a good job as usual. :)

Posted by ScreamingFist

I'm not sure why people whine about Patrick in Quick Looks. I used to dislike him but then I realized I was being a dick. *shrugs*

Posted by biggiedubs

The Outsider? You mean that dude from The Last Story?

Not really feeling this game. It might be the voice acting, or the art direction. Can't really tell. That and everything looks like they left a shader out, or something.

Guess I'm getting XCOM, then.

Edited by DjCmeP

Please keep Patrick out of the QLs. I can't stand his voice more than 5 minutes.

Posted by yinstarrunner

7:10 until Patrick describes all stealth games as "trial and error". Sigh...

Posted by Grimmy616

@DjCmeP: Please keep this guy out of the comments section.

Posted by DexterKid

@Scotto said:

@DexterKid said:

@Scotto said:

There needs to be some sort of treaty signed, where Patrick-haters agree to just stay the fuck away from content he's involved in (or at least the comments sections), and the rest of us agree to leave them to their opinion.

How about you just ignore comments that you don't like?

Because it's like trying to "ignore" air pollution. It's an intensely lame counterpoint, because you could say "just ignore it" to all kinds of shitty behaviour.

The Patrick-haters aren't like an occasional gnat that you can just swat away and move on from. They are an ongoing pervasive cancer every time Patrick is involved in something.

And frankly, a lot of the stuff people say about him is completely dickish, so I have no compunction with telling those people to fuck off. And I suspect the rest of the GB staff feel the same way.

That's not my point. If you are demanding people stay away from this content, then they can demand that you stay away from their comments. It works both ways.

Posted by NipCrip66

I don't hate Klepek's QLs like some people do but he does talk to much and give too much away. He needs to learn from the other guys in the team who have the balance almost perfect. Maybe that will come with time but I think it's more Patrick's personality.

Posted by DexterKid

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

You shouldn't take it so literally. If you've followed the game and/or seen the quick look you'd see that this is not a FPS with extra shenanigans to add flavor. It's all about those extra shenanigans and combat is completely optional. It's one of those games in which your playstyle is king. That shouldn't be determined by whether or not there are dialogue trees. The broader family of those includes stuff like the MGS and Assassin's Creed or Hitman games.

I said Bioshock is a FPS with extra shenanigans, this game looks more similar to Bioshock than it does to Deus Ex.

And again, you are talking so broadly about games that just have some manner of stealth in them. Deus Ex is a very specific thing, and in no way can it just be assumed when someone says ''Deus Ex-like games'' that they are talking about MGS and AC.

Posted by DeF

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

I said Bioshock is a FPS with extra shenanigans, this game looks more similar to Bioshock than it does to Deus Ex.

And again, you are talking so broadly about games that just have some manner of stealth in them. Deus Ex is a very specific thing, and in no way can it just be assumed when someone says ''Deus Ex-like games'' that they are talking about MGS and AC.

Well Patrick mentioned MGS specifically during the QL, for example. And even though the game "looks" more like BioShock due to its art direction and skill system, it most certainly has very little in common with that game in terms of gameplay as you can see in the video.

Posted by davidh219

I NEED THIS GAME

Posted by RageKage14

It seems like the people at Giant Bomb have become way too accustomed to games holding their hand for them. They can't function in a stealth game that requires critical thinking. Stealth games are not made for them, but they keep saying that the genre is flawed and not their expectations for a stealth game. Their solution to what they consider "inherent flaws in the genre" is to just surface all the information about enemy placement so you can go through it without doing any work or really achieving anything. That's like saying the inherent flaw in first-person shooters is aiming and they should give you a gun that kills all the enemies on screen with one shot.

Posted by DexterKid

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

Well Patrick mentioned MGS specifically during the QL, for example. And even though the game "looks" more like BioShock due to its art direction and skill system, it most certainly has very little in common with that game in terms of gameplay as you can see in the video.

So what that he mentioned it? That doesn't make it valid. And anyway he used MGS as a generic example of fail states in stealth games, not as a good comparison for Dishonoured.

And no I wan't talking about it's graphics, I mean it's extremely similar to Bioshock in terms of gameplay. If you can't see that, then I don't really know what to say.

Posted by Jamakan_Inc

Patrick doesn't seem to have the hang of Quick Looks yet. Why does he keep looking away every time he uses one of the abilities he's supposed to be demonstrating?

Posted by Residentrevil2

So, it's hate on Patrick week? Last week was hate on Brad week. Now, it's Patrick. Well, I don't hate either.

Posted by DeF

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

@DexterKid said:

So what that he mentioned it? That doesn't make it valid. And anyway he used MGS as a generic example of fail states in stealth games, not as a good comparison for Dishonoured.

And no I wan't talking about it's graphics, I mean it's extremely similar to Bioshock in terms of gameplay. If you can't see that, then I don't really know what to say.

I don't even know what we're arguing about really.

The only gameplay similarities to BioShock are in the combat mechanics with two skills/weapons assigned to each hand.

Again, what are we arguing about? You asked what "those games" were and I provided an answer.

Posted by Discoman

I'm sold on this.

Posted by Drebin_893

@Residentrevil2 said:

So, it's hate on Patrick week? Last week was hate on Brad week. Now, it's Patrick. Well, I don't hate either.

Why was it hate on Brad week!? I love Brad, when's love on Brad week?

Posted by zombie2011

So i have no idea what this game is, i've seen nothing of it or read anything about it.

Lots of hype around this so i'm excited to see what it is.

Posted by brokenpilot

1: I'm really surprised they didn't mention bioshock at all. That's the first game I thought of when I saw this.

2: Internet comments are dumb.

Posted by Rasmoss

@DjCmeP said:

Please keep Patrick out of the QLs. I can't stand his voice more than 5 minutes.

Fuck off, you utter douchebag.

Giantbomb should be about acceptance and tolerance. Hating on someone for the way they talk or the way they look is the lowest you can sink as a human being.

Posted by darkcargio

This games looks refreshing. I will try something new like this. I am getting tired of sequels and remakes.

Posted by cbarnes86

People complain about Patrick QLs but I find his the most informative

Posted by fox01313

Really liking the idea in this game that should be in other ones where there's items in the game that turn on sub mission in an area. If you are going around exploring the length of the level, finding treats like this beyond just the standard collectibles are nice. Looking forward to playing this as big fan of this kind of game in how it works it's missions & gameplay.

Posted by Milkman

@Humanity said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

Meh, there should never be a QL w/o at least Jeff or Brad on it.

More like: don't have Patrick on the quick looks. I really like his writing, but man, he's hard to listen to.

Meanwhile at the review, some people are hating on his writing style. I feel sorry for the guy, he is diligent and passionate about video games (probably the only main staff member at this point).

Not denying or confirming but sometimes people are just not cut out for something no matter how passionate they are about it.

That's complete bullshit. Patrick is more than "cut out" for it. You're an idiot.

Posted by LarryDavis

Playing this with a controller? C'mon, Pat. C'mon.

Posted by Tesla

I want to watch this QL but I'm in media blackout mode having already decided to purchase Dishonored.

With that in mind, I decided I would take a look at the comments to see how people were responding to the game. Now I feel slightly embarrassed to be a part of this community..like I just realized I'm 20 years older than everybody else in the room.

Posted by Didion

Also really ugly looking, the quality of the gameplay notwithstanding.

Posted by Metal_Mills

This looks really washed out and ugly on 360.

Posted by CaLe

@LarryDavis said:

He reviewed the 360 version. What do you want him to use?

Posted by Humanity

@Milkman: I already addressed this earlier, I wasn't talking about Patrick but making a general statement. Thanks for calling me an idiot though, benefit of the doubt and common courtesy all out the window at first conflict of opinions.

Posted by blackichigo

@DjCmeP said:

I hope you die on Christmas. Maybe not die but get horrible... HORRIBLE diarrhea.

Edited by mnzy

@Rasmoss said:

@DjCmeP said:

Giantbomb should be about acceptance and tolerance. Hating on someone for the way they talk or the way they look is the lowest you can sink as a human being.

The way they talk? He hosts these videos, it's not like you can't work on that. It actually gets taught. Looks is an entirely different thing.

Also: the cross bow in this game is really really tiny.

Posted by Splodge

@Rasmoss said:

@DjCmeP said:

Posted by peritus

@CaLe said:

@LarryDavis said:

He reviewed the 360 version. What do you want him to use?

Haha, nice!

Posted by DeathbyYeti

looks forgettable

Posted by SuperJoe

4:35 - "ch-asms"

Posted by Meltac

In the last two days I've went from having no interest in this to being super stoked. Weird, huh?

Posted by Cazamalos

i don't know, i'm not felling it, with all the super powers, the bad A.I. and the one hit kill combat this is not stealth or methodical at all.

this just looks like a cool sandbox

Posted by DexterKid

@DeF: I wasn't actually asking a question. I was more mocking the fact that his use of ''those games'' was very odd, for the reasons that I already explained to you.

And no, this game has a lot more in common with Bioshock than just dual-wielding. There is also the whole obvious thing of using magical powers in different combinations to mess with enemies and kill them in bizarre ways, which was the crux of Bioshock's combat and it seems to be a major part of this game too. Granted this game has more of a stealth slant to it as well, but I never said they were identical.

Posted by Raye

First time seeing a lot of this game. The different options available to you looks really interesting. I think I'm gonna have to give this a try at some point.

Posted by Tr0n

Wow, console games look really bad at this point. PC QL please.

• 403 results